1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

1920's-30's Serial Gas Poisoner, NSW

Discussion in 'Historical Cold Cases - Pre 1950' started by Lily, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

OMG OMG

Guess WHO got out of the jail the *day before* the gassings started????????

Yes. My prime suspect.

An awesome person on Reddit helped me find this: https://imgur.com/gallery/0e4HW :thankyou:

Which shows that Madigan was released from jail on remission on the 26th.

I KNEW IT.:thud:

2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Here it is! Oh my gosh, @Lily! Have you contacted investigators?

noZme and spike like this.
  3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

88 years later?

Maybe I can dig 'em up. :D

(srs tho - should I?)

4. spike

spike Bronze Member

Great work, Lily!!!

Kimster and Lily like this.
  5. spike

spike Bronze Member

:highfive: You go gurl!!

noZme likes this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

lol, thank you!!!

spike and noZme like this.
  7. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I sure do! Maybe the ancestors are still wondering what in the heck happened!!!

8. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

What worries me now is, that he actually succeeded at some point - but because gas deaths were such frequent accidents and suicides back then, it may have gone unnoticed...

I'll have a think about what I'm going to say to these policepersons when I phone.

"Hello, Officer. No, it's not an urgent matter..."

9. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Dominick Dunne, Ann Rule, et al, made a pretty good living with a little investigation & retelling..... GO FOT IT!

Lily and spike like this.
  10. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

.. I don't think I'm going to write a book, heh.

I'm also not 100% sure yet that it was him. But about 90%. He should at least have been obvious suspect at the time, IDK why he wasn't.

Just thinking aloud for a moment, I truly think the gasser wanted to kill that 12 year old girl who was last known victim in that area. He broke his pattern by entrering the house, rather than poking the hose through a window, and actually held it close to her mouth, with deadly gas on full blast. I think he was super angry after his third gassing in a row failed to kill someone, and he wanted to make sure he succeeded.

But then -- where'd he go from there? My reddit helper found out that Madigan was listed as living at a house in Bondi until he died in 1944. So did he just... stop? There's no record of him being caught for peeping again after his jail term, which is strange, it never deterred him before.

There's so many potential reasons.. one of which is that he started being more successful as a killer, and this replaced the compulsive peeping. And there again, maybe he did his back in leaping a fence, and simply couldn't get about anymore.

GarAndMo49, spike and Ladyslug like this.
  11. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

You have gathered & pieced together a lot of info - does not have to be published in book form. Newspapers or magazines in that area might do it in serial form or you might join a blog community that specializes in cold cases. Is it a topic at Reddit? I have not read all links yet.

12. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

GO @Lily!!! Awesome work! So sorry I didn't catch this sooner...

noZme, spike, Lily and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Oops, sorry @noZme, I forgot to give you the reddit link.. Here goes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...ose_of_death_serial_attempted_murders_by_gas/

Awh that's fine, @GarAndMo49 -- and hey, I have an update!

Not too exciting, really.. but I called the Waverley cops, lol. The policeman I spoke to was very sweet.. I apologised for how crazy it all sounded and assured him the case wasn't urgent, ha. He listened politely and said he was taking this straight to his supervisors! lol. He called me back a while later and, as I pretty much expected, he said that despite the age of the case, he could not give me any details (I was particularly interested in whether Madigan was ever formally a suspect) and of course, the police would be taking no action -- as to do that they need an actual victim (I avoided making wry exhumation jests). He was very nice about it, though, and said something about the records all being still on paper in storage somewhere.

So that, it seems is that. We'll never know what's in the police vaults! Ah, well. I still think he's a good suspect.

noZme, spike and GarAndMo49 like this.