1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

1921: Chrissie Clare Venn

Discussion in 'Historical Cold Cases - Pre 1950' started by Lily, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Awh thanks, spike. I try!

Anyway, it Charles Purton -- one of the people known to be travelling the road that day around the time Chrissie went missing -- is thought by some of his descendants to be the killer. Reading between the lines, I'm gathering that he was not the nicest person -- and vanished without a trace in 1944. Interesting comments here:

http://angelaathomas.com/2010/04/22/exploring-genre-through-the-text-chrissie-venn/#comments-toggle

I also dug up the name of the man accused (and acquitted) of molesting Chrissie when she was just 10 years old:

Yesterday Mr. F. N. Stops, P.M.,presided at the Court House, Ulverstone, and dealt with the case of Newman Allen, who appeared to answer a charge of indecently assaulting a girl named Chrissie Venn at North Motton
    http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article64543881

After a lengthy retirement the jury brought in a verdict of not guilty, and accused was discharged.
    http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article84272095

Additionally, I discovered that it was John Hearps Jr (aka "Jack") -- one of the young men ploughing a nearby field when they allege to have heard a scream, around the time Chrissie went missing -- who first started looking inside tree stumps during the search.

From what I can gather, Charles Purton's father (whose last name was Taylor ) saw Jack Hearps peering into a tree stump on the other side of the road, and thought that was a good idea... so looked in one on the other side of the road.

While climbing that stump, he noticed that it looked like someone else had climbed it recently.. He mentioned this to Jack, who replied that there'd been searchers (he didn't say who) looking around there, the day before. Then Mr. Taylor glimpsed another large stump up the road a bit -- which he climbed, noting that it too showed signs of recent disturbance. And that was how Chrissie's body was discovered, stuffed down the hollow inside.

So that was a series of fortunate events, eh.

I'm not sure what all was going on with her mother, either.... but her whole story is rather strange as well. I mean - why would she marry Frank Dawes, and then promptly leave him -- before moving into the home of her former husband's cousin (James Venn)? Why did Edith Venn (his wife) leave her husband the same year that Eva came to stay, going so far as to revert to her maiden name? Why did she return the year Eva took up with Llewellyn (whom she was living with, when Chrissie died). Why did Edith Venn, 2 years later, write a note to John Hearps Sr. (father of "Jack" of the stump and the scream) , begging him to help her husband because he was "in trouble" -- right before apparently drowning herself -- TWO days prior to Chrissie's murder?

So many questions....

spike and Kimster like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

It's hard to tell, but it reeks of family dysfunction. Back then they just didn't talk about it because women didn't have any right to talk about how they've had been mistreated. They would just quietly move from one scenario to the next.

spike and Lily like this.