1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com


Discussion in 'Historical Cold Cases - Pre 1950' started by Romulus, Jul 25, 2018.

  1. Romulus

    Romulus In the earth of missing person


    Circumstances of Disappearance

    On Christmas Eve in 1945, the Sodders and nine of their ten children settled in for the evening. Martha, and four of her siblings - Martha, Jennie, Maurice and Louis Ericopleaded to be allowed to stay up and play with their new toys. Mrs. Sodder relented after the children promised to take care of their chores before coming to bed.

    Shortly after midnight Mrs. Sodder was awakened by the phone ringing. A female caller asked for a man whose name Mrs. Sodder did not recognize. The caller gave a weird laugh before hanging up. Dismissing the call as a prank, Mrs. Sodder went to return back to bed but noticed the lights were still on, the shades were not drawn and the doors had not been locked. Believing the children forgot to do these things before going to bed, she went back to sleep. She was awakened again by a noise on the roof.

    About a half-hour later, smoke began pouring into the bedroom. She yelled for her husband and children. Once outside, Mr. Sodder noticed that Betty, Jennie, Louis, Martha Lee, and Maurice were nowhere to be found. He went to grab the ladder, which was kept near the house, to reach the windows of the room where the children slept. The ladder was missing. Less than forty-five minutes after the fire started, the house was consumed.

    Firefighters and state police arrived later that morning and placed the cause of the fire on faulty wiring. State police later withdrew their statement. The fire chief and state fire marshal sifted through the ashes and told the Sodders that they could not find any remains. The acting coroner impaneled a jury of six local citizens who returned a verdict that the five children had died due to suffocation and flames.

    Within a few months, the Sodders became convinced that their children did not die in the fire. An investigation revealed that the telephone line had been cut shortly before or during the fire. A late-night bus driver reported seeing balls of fire being tossed upon the roof of the Sodder home. An operator of a motel located halfway between Fayetteville and Charleston reported seeing the children Christmas morning. A Charleston hotel owner reported seeing four of the children in the company of four Italian speaking adults a week later. Three months after the fire, the youngest child found a hard rubber object that was hollow with a twist-off cap. It was identified by Army authorities as an incendiary or napalm bomb called a "pine-apple." It was later discovered that the fire had started on the roof. During the fire, a man was seen stealing a block and chain from the Sodder's garage. He admitted to cutting the electric line to the Sodder home. The ladder, which couldn't be found during the fire, was found down an embankment away from the house.

    A couple of years after the tragedy, Mr. Sodder saw a photo of school children in New York and was certain that Betty was one of the children in the photograph. He drove to Manhattan to see for himself but was never allowed to see the child. Sightings of the children came in from all over the country. Every lead proved fruitless. In 1952, the Sodders purchased a billboard displaying photos of their missing children and offering a reward for the recovery of any or all of the children. The publicity fed rumors that the children had been sold to an orphanage or taken to Italy.

    The Sodders tried in vain to get their case reopened, even writing to the FBI. State police and local authorities would not reactivate the investigation without any evidence of a kidnapping or murder. The investigating fire marshal admitted years later that he did not search through the ashes as thoroughly as he would have liked. Mr. Sodder, initially believing his children had died, bulldozed the site and covered it with four to five feet of dirt, planting flowers in memory of the children.

    In 1949, Mr. Sodder decided to excavate the site in order to search for human remains. The assistant chief of Naval Ordinance in Charleston and a noted pathologist from Washington, D.C. were among those helping. Four pieces of vertebrae and two small bones that could have come from a child's hand were located. The pathologist noted that he was amazed at the scarcity of bones recovered after the thorough search, claiming it was unusual that no skulls or pelvic bones were found in a fire that was quick burning and not so intense as to destroy cloth, flooring and other debris found.

    Back in Washington, D.C., the pathologist determined the bones to be human, having come from a person 14 to 15 years of age. Due to the location where the bones were found within the floor plan of the house, Mr. Sodder did not believe the remains to be of his 14-year-old son, Maurice. Another analysis of the bones conducted years later by the Smithsonian Institute determined that the bones came from someone 16 to 22 years of age. It was also noted that the bones bore no evidence of having been subjected to fire. A letter would arrive on a detective's desk claiming that the bones had been removed from a nearby cemetery and planted at the scene.

    Many believe the children died that night in the fire and the family was never able to accept the loss. Others believe the children were taken and are still alive somewhere, believing the fire killed their parents and siblings. Mr. Sodder died in 1969, his wife twenty years later. The billboard no longer stands. The youngest of the Sodder children keeps her parents' quest alive to find out what really happened that night.

    Investigating Agency(s)
    Agency Name: Fayetteville Police Department
    Agency Contact Person: Unknown
    Agency Phone Number: 304-574-0255
    Agency E-Mail: Unknown
    Agency Case Number: Unknown

    NCIC Case Number: Unknown
    NamUs Case Number: Unknown

    Information Source(s)
    Find a Grave
    Charleston Daily News Archive
    Charleston Gazette News Archive
    Mel70, Dobrev, Sunburst and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dobrev

    Dobrev Former Member

    This is one the cases I should have include in the pet cases thread I commented on earlier. Everything about this case intrigues me. I don't think that this was just an unfortunate incident. That family lost so much that night and I really think someone was behind it. I just can't work out what I think it is that happened here and what became of those children immediately after the fire.
    Mel70 and Kimster like this.
  3. Mel70

    Mel70 Bronze Member

    I COMPLETELY AGREE! This is One of the MOST BAFFLING CASES I HAVE EVER LEARNED ABOUT! 1.) Because Mrs. Soder received a strange Phone call asking for SOMEONE SHE did not know, followed by a CREEPY LAUGH before disconnecting 2.) Mrs. Soder heard SOMEONE ON THE ROOF. 3.) It was stated the "Phone Line" WAS CUT. Admittedly by a Man removing a "Block and Chain". IF SOMEONE IS JUST STEALING AN ITEM THEY LIKELY AREN'T GOING TO CUT A PHONE LINE. SO THIS TO ME HAD A MORE "MACABRE" PURPOSE .4)"Fireballs" were seen being Lobbed on The Roof by a "Late Night Bus Driver". 5.) After the Fire, The LACK OF "Bones. As MANY OF THE CHILDREN THAT WOULD HAVE DIED, THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT! 6.) NO TANGIBLE MOTIVE. Would Someone REALLY Kidnap the Children and SELL THEM.? THE FIRE SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS VERY WELL PLANNED. SOUNDS LIKE A KKK HIT. NOT LIKELY. BUT... THEY DO SO LOVE "FIRE AND BURNING" THINGS! I GAVE A HARD TIME BELIEVING IT WAS RANDOM. Did "The Soder's" get tangled with the wrong people?.OWING $$$$$ WITH 10 KIDS. MAYBE.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

    SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

    5 Creepy Missing Persons Cases

    The Sodder children

    George and Jenny Sodder were parents to 10 children. Nine of the children lived in the family’s house. On December 24, 1945, the house was burned to the ground. The parents and four of the children escaped. Upon investigation, the other five children’s bodies were never found.

    The family transformed the site of the demolished house into a memorial for their lost children. The Sodders never lost hope that their children were still out there.

    Some suspect that because of George’s forthcoming on his dislike for Benito Mussolini, that the Sicilian Mafia may have been responsible for the children’s disappearances.

    Dobrev likes this.

Share This Page