1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

2004 Murders of April Bailey, 31, and her brother Ian, 29, Deception Bay,Qld, *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Australia: Crimes & Trials' started by MarlyWings, Sep 10, 2016.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Arrest in cold case Deception Bay double murder[​IMG]

September 10, 2016 1:09pm
    [​IMG]

DETECTIVES have made a breakthrough in a historic double murder, arresting a woman, 34, this morning over the death of a brother and sister.

April Bailey, 31, and her brother Ian, 29, were found dead in the Deception Bay home, north of Brisbane, in 2004 after their house was destroyed in a fire.

Detectives believe the brother and sister were murdered before accelerant was used to set the Warren Crescent house on fire.

The woman from Kallangur is expected to be charged with two counts of murder and one count arson this afternoon. Police said they expect more arrests over the matter.

Police have previously said three calls were made to Triple-0 around the time of the fire about 1.50pm on May 28, 2004.

The first call was believed to have captured Ian screaming, while the second was believed to have been made by April’s 4-year-old daughter Violet who survived and was found outside in the yard.

In the second call, people could be heard in the background arguing.

Detective Inspector Damien Hansen said today the woman knew both the victims and was an “associate” from 2004.

“Part of the motive will be it’s drug-related,” he said.

Det Insp Hansen said there were a “number of other persons of interest that we are looking at”.

“I expect there will be more arrests as this investigation progresses,” he said.

Det Insp Hansen said Queensland universities examined triple-0 calls.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...r/news-story/71f8f669ace3083945d32655e2c51a41

Lily, Ladyslug and MULDER like this.
  2. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

He said a number of people had come forward after media reports last year.

“We’ve had a number of people come forward that previously had not given evidence, or were reluctant to give evidence in 2004,” he said.

“They’ve changed their lifestyles, their morales, and that has helped us greatly in solving this.

Det Insp Hansen said it was a very emotional time, especially for Violet.

“She does remember (the incident) ... It is surprising, she was four years old at the time.

“It’s a very traumatic experience and she has been cooperating with us. She does have some recollections.”

Det Insp Hansen last year said expert examinations were being conducted on a military-style knife and a matching scabbard found at the crime scene.

April’s daughter Violet, 16, last year made a plea for people to come forward.

“Eleven years ago I was a witness to my own mother’s and uncle’s murder,” Ms Bailey said.

“The thing that bothered me the most is that the people who committed this crime are still free, they’re still able to go to the shops and have a life to live whereas my mother and my uncle don’t.

“My mother has missed out on her little girl growing up. My uncle has missed out on spoiling me.

“Everything I know about my mother and uncle I have had to be told,” Ms Bailey said.

“I have never been able to ask them anything, I have missed out myself on so many experiences.

“I’d be ever so grateful to finally know the people who killed my mother and uncle have been put into prison.”

April’s maternal grandparents have cared for her after the murders.

A reward of $250,000 has been offered for information which leads to a conviction.

Police have also offered an indemnity from prosecution for any accomplice to the crime.

Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...r/news-story/71f8f669ace3083945d32655e2c51a41

3. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Good work by police in this cold case!!

What a terrible time it must have been for April's little daughter who still has memories of the time. Thank goodness she has her grandparents!

I would say technology played its part in leading to the arrest. Some people just don't realise how fast technology is advancing and how its helping police solve these murders from the past.

4. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

This is good news!
    And people did come forward to give information - which seems to be the turning point that helped.
    Aprils daughter can now get some answers.
    What a sad and terrible time for her.
    I hope the arrests leads to Justice for this family.

Lily, MarlyWings and Ladyslug like this.
  5. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Anonymous caller had specific info on siblings' deaths: Police

September 12 2016 - 2:22PM

An anonymous caller who gave police detailed information about the 2004 deaths of Brisbane brother and sister Ian and April Bailey is being urged to call investigators back.

The caller was among more than 15 people who phoned police with information after 34-year-old Danielle Lee Fels was arrested over the double homicide on Saturday

Detective Inspector Damien Hansen said the caller had provided detailed information and urged the person to phone again.

"It is obvious from the detail that this person's gone into that they're a close associate of those involved," Inspector Hansen said on Monday.

"The information (they gave) is the events in the lead up, the planning that went into this, the reasons why and also who were involved."

Inspector Hansen said police believed up to four people could have been involved in the deaths of the Baileys.

Fels was remanded in custody and her case adjourned to December 20.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...n-siblings-deaths-police-20160912-grebey.html

Lily and MULDER like this.
  6. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

I hope the caller or someone else who knows what happened will call back.
    With 4 people involved - it sounds as if there maybe quite a few people who know what happened.

Lily and MarlyWings like this.