1. WISCONSIN: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 13-year-old Jayme Closs, who was determined to be missing after her parents were found murdered in Barron, WI.
    There is currently no suspect or vehicle information, but Jayme's life is believed to be in extreme danger.
    Click HERE for more information

Dismiss Notice
  2. OCTOBER IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH
    Domestic Violence Awareness Month evolved from the “Day of Unity” held in October 1981
    and conceived by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
    Click Here for Resources
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Academy Sports manager fired after tackling gun theft suspect

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by noZme, Jul 11, 2018.

1. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

IMO, there are 2 crimes here ~ a thug stealing a gun & a store manager being fired " because he put his hands on" the thief.

The manager of Tallahassee’s Academy Sports was fired Tuesday after tackling a suspect accused of stealing a handgun late last month. The suspect also allegedly threatened to shoot people.

Dean Crouch, 32, was the store manager who stopped Jason White from leaving the store with a .40-caliber pistol on June 29.

"Instead of treating him like the hero he is, Academy terminated his employment effective immediately because he put his hands on Mr. White,” Crouch's attorney Ryan Hobbs said.

Just hours before he was taken into custody, White stole two handguns from Cash America Pawn on South Adams Street, according to TPD.

White asked to look at the handgun at the firearms counter. He was handed the gun, then ran toward the front door.

Crouch observed the transaction at the counter. He and another employee tackled and subdued White at the exit doors and recovered the gun, a stolen backpack, five boxes of ammunition and two magazines for the Glock.

White was taken into the store’s office while police were en route. It was there that he admitted to stealing the gun and threatened to shoot people with it. According to court records, White said he and his family were being threatened by an unknown person and he wanted the gun to “kill him." “He repeatedly said ‘I stole and I admit to it’ and ‘I will steal again when I get out of jail,’”

Well, he had already stolen 2 guns that day. how many does he need? Had he reported to police that his family was being threatened?

Hobbs said his client is considering a lawsuit for wrongful termination. The way he sees it, Crouch may have saved lives by stopping White.

Academy Sports spokesperson said she would not comment on specific personnel matters or policies. However, Crouch’s actions and his termination were handled in accordance with the Texas-based company’s policies. “While the incident ended without injury, actions inconsistent with corporate policies were taken.”

So AS doesn't mind "loss of inventory" & explaining to ATF where the missing Glock may be? ATF doesn't play around about records.

“This is not something that happens for Mr. Crouch in his everyday life,” Hobbs said. “I think he was thinking there is a man running out of the store with a gun in his hand with his coworkers following from the firearm area screaming ‘Stop that man.’ Something had to be done and he was the one that was going to do it.”

“My instincts tell me they are concerned more about people like Mr. White suing them for being stopped in the course of a theft than they are about rewarding or acknowledging in a positive manner that Mr. Crouch may have saved lives.”

I hope Mr Couch wins a handsome settlement from his former employer & is off to bigger & better things. Meanwhile, there is nothing I need from AS that cannot be bought elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uno2Much, Paradise and spike like this.
  2. spike

spike Bronze Member

Yeah, smile you...^%$@!^&*$.

Saw this and it was infuriating.
    Walmart has the same policy and has fired people in the past.

I am already prepared for such a scenario because somebody I know will run to the aid of anyone in trouble and will also have no problem applying hands to thwart a badguy.

These criteria for allowing these criminals to do whatever they want are related to insurance, attorneys, unions and political correctness.
    As long as no one stands up to it, it will continue.
    Sickening.

noZme and Paradise like this.
  3. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Remember the day food stamp cards malfunctioned? Walmart (& other grocery customers) heaped their carts full & walked out the door, smiling at the security & news cameras.

Stores simply factor losses by theft into prices. The inmates are running the asylum.

If in the Tallahassee Sports Academy case, the store manager had stood idly by, taking no action, while that gun walked out of the store, he probably would have been fired. For honest people, it can be a Lose/Lose situation against the lowest tier of society. :mad:

spike likes this.
  4. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Academy Sports rehires Dean Crouch after backlash

Dean Crouch has been rehired as a manager at the Tallahassee location of Academy Sports + Outdoors after being fired earlier this week.

Crouch spoke to the head of the Texas-based outdoors store Friday and has been reemployed, according to his attorney.

“I am pleased to report that the head of Academy Sports + Outdoors stores spoke with Mr. Crouch and offered him his job back and Mr. Crouch accepted,” his attorney Ryan Hobbs said. A company spokeswoman confirmed Crouch's reemployment but had no further comment.

Crouch’s firing drew national attention with many criticizing Academy’s actions while lauding the 32-year-old as a hero who was fired for doing the right thing. Expressions of support and job offers have been flowing in from around the country.

Fired Academy Sports manager receiving nationwide support, job offers

Meanwhile, White posted $5,000 bail and was released from the Leon County jail on July 6. He faces three counts of grand theft of a firearm after being connected to the theft of two other guns from a pawn shop just hours before he entered Academy Sports.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/07/12/support-floods-ousted-academy-manager/778561002/

In this politically and socially divisive era of instantaneous communications, one wrong move by an individual, company, government or nonprofit can be a brand-killer setback that costs years or millions of dollars to repair. One national chain is learning that the hard way, thanks to its rapid-fire decision to fire a Tallahassee manager for what appeared to be a heroic action that may have actually saved lives.

Academy Sports is a great and proud brand – but it managed to take a golden opportunity for positive public relations in Tallahassee and turn it into a tarnished national PR disaster.
    https://www.tallahassee.com/story/o...nity-firing-heroic-manager-opinion/779427002/

spike likes this.
  5. spike

spike Bronze Member

It's all about the money.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

noZme likes this.