1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

PA AMY PUGNER: Missing from Washington, PA - 10 June 2010 - Age 40

Discussion in 'Missing 2010 to 2014' started by Scorpio, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2018
    Akoya likes this.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://charleyproject.org/case/amy-leanne-pugner

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Details of Disappearance

Pugner had moved to Washington, Pennsylvania from Latrobe, Pennsylvania shortly before her disappearance. She moved into an apartment in the 700 block of north Main Street. Her sister spoke to her on June 8, 2010 and Pugner said she was painting her new home at the time.

On June 9, a man using her cellular phone made calls and sent text messages to Pugner's sister and father saying Pugner had stolen something from him, and he wanted $30,000 or he would kill her. He kept calling using Pugner's phone until the battery died, then used another phone to make his demands.

Pugner's sister asked to speak to her to prove she was alive, and only heard a mumbling noise that sounded like someone's mouth had been covered or taped shut.

The man told her father and sister to drop the $30,000 off at a McDonald's restaurant at 18th Street and Bridgeville Road in Mount Oliver, Pennsylvania. Her family couldn't deliver the money, however, and neither he nor Pugner ever contacted them again.

On June 10, Pugner's sister and father came to Washington and reported her missing. Authorities could find no evidence of a struggle in her apartment.

She has a history of dropping out of sight, but never for more than a few days at a time, and she kept in touch with her loved ones by phone. She missed her son's high school graduation after her disappearance, which is uncharacteristic of her.

The circumstances of her disappearance are considered suspicious and her case remains unsolved.

Akoya likes this.
  3. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

https://triblive.com/local/regional...pearance-a-ploy-for-drug-money-a-kidnapping-a

Was Latrobe woman's disappearance a ploy for drug money? A kidnapping? A murder?

On the night of June 9, 2010, Elizabeth “Beth” Pugner received a series of texts about her sister, Amy, that chilled her to the bone.

“Show time.

“Had to wait til dark.

“Plus you are up to something.

“We will see how this goes down.

“Please don't test me.

“Last time.”

The sender first used a cellphone that belonged to Amy, then switched to a phone number that was unfamiliar to the older sister.

“They wanted $30,000 or she was dead,” Beth Pugner said. The text gave specific instructions on where and how to deliver the money.

“I have no intention of harming anyone, but I definitely don't give a (expletive) about this lady, I hope you do. She just ate and I gave her a blast. These are your instructions, please be at drop site at 11. Call then and only then.”

Beth Pugner and her father, John Pugner Jr., also received phone calls that night. John Pugner was out with his wife when he started getting calls from Amy's cellphone. He couldn't tell whether the person was asking for Amy's dad or saying, “Amy's dead.”

In the last call, it was Amy herself. “She said, ‘Don't worry, I'll be OK,' ” he recalled.

They weren't able to pay.

That was the last time Pugner, 74, of Latrobe talked to his troubled daughter. The next day, he was in Washington, Pa., to report to police that she was missing. Almost eight years later, Amy is still missing. “It's on my mind every day. I truthfully think that they ended her life,” he said.

Missing, or worse?

The Washington Police Department lists Amy as a missing person on its Facebook page, but family members say the unsolved case seems more like a kidnapping.

They have sought the help of police, the news media and an Allegheny County forensic investigator. They have distributed posters, talked to Amy's friends and entered Amy into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System ( FindtheMissing.org ) — to no avail.

Now they're making yet another appeal to the public for information that could bring her home.

“My sister has children. She's a daughter, a mother, a sister. She had mental health issues, she had addiction issues, but she's still a person, she's still a valuable member of this family, and we would like to know what happened to her,” said her sister, Kelly O'Barto, 49, of Derry.

Amy Pugner, who was 40 at the time of her disappearance, grew up in Latrobe and went to Latrobe Area High School. She was a teen mom who later worked as a bartender and at the Latrobe Brewing Co., her family said.

Amy suffered from schizophrenia and substance abuse. She had spent time in jail and in treatment, her sisters said. John Pugner had power of attorney for his daughter, who was on disability when she disappeared.

In 2009, O'Barto found a bed for Amy at a treatment facility in Washington. She took her there, but Amy lasted only five days.

“I don't know if she was kicked out or just left, but I know she didn't want to go there,” O'Barto said.

Amy called O'Barto, asking for help in getting her belongings out of storage and to Washington. O'Barto declined.

“I just knew she had no business being down there by herself, but she did end up moving,” she said.

Amy found an apartment and persuaded her dad to bring her stuff. The family estimates that she lived in Washington for at least six months before she disappeared.

Her family brought her back to Latrobe regularly so she could see her children. On Christmas 2009, Amy brought her boyfriend, John Martin, home to meet the family. She met him in Washington, her sisters said.

Martin has not been named by Washington police as a person of interest or suspect in the case, but Amy's family would like to talk to him again. At the time, he was working for a Carnegie-based drilling company, the sisters said.

Case still open

After that terrible night of threatening, cryptic texts and phone calls, John Pugner and Beth Pugner went to Washington to file a missing person report. They have not been happy with the police department's investigation, describing it as perfunctory.

But Washington police Lt. Dan Stanek said the case remains open and continues to attract leads, as recently as a year ago. Those turned out to be a dead end, he said.

Complicating the investigation is the fact Amy likely went missing in an Allegheny County jurisdiction. The cellphone used for the texts was pinged to Mt. Oliver, he said.

“We recommended that the family initiate something in that area, which they did,” Stanek said. “There's no indication that she was abducted from the city (of Washington) or anything like that.” Anyone with information on Amy should call the Washington Police Department at 724-223-4226.

On their way back to Latrobe from the police department on June 10, 2010, the family got another text.

“Where you at?

“I hope you are ready.

“Do what you have to do.”

The family does not rule out the possibility that the disappearance was a ploy to get drug money — a scheme in which Amy could have cooperated.

“I do not doubt anything. There's nothing that surprises me,” said her sister, Johnna Pugner-Queer, 40, of Latrobe But that doesn't change the family's love for Amy or their desire to see her again. They're doing what they have to do.

Akoya likes this.
  4. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

amy.jpg

Akoya likes this.
  5. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

amyy.jpg

Akoya likes this.