1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IL ANDREW "AJ" FREUND: Missing from Crystal Lake, IL - 17 April 2019 - Age 5 *Found Deceased*

Discussion in 'Located/Resolved' started by kdg411, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ima.grandma

ima.grandma Believer of Miracles

The newborn daughter of a Crystal Lake woman accused of slaying her 5-year-old son will remain in protective custody while a judge attempts to determine who fathered the child.
    https://www.nwherald.com/2019/06/10...agrees-to-keep-child-in-dcfs-custody/a1v6m8t/

The newborn daughter of a Crystal Lake woman accused of slaying her 5-year-old son will remain in protective custody while a judge attempts to determine who fathered the child.

McHenry County Judge Christopher Harmon on Monday ordered two men to submit paternity tests in an effort to identify who fathered the infant, born May 31 to accused murderer JoAnn Cunningham.
    https://www.daily-chronicle.com/201...agrees-to-keep-child-in-dcfs-custody/a1v6m8t/

kdg411, Whatsnext and Kimster like this.
  2. ima.grandma

ima.grandma Believer of Miracles

In Illinois, consideration for children born to mothers serving time is given to family members if it’s in the best interest of the child. Court documents obtained by CNN in May said Freund is not the father of Cunningham’s baby.

A judge has ordered paternity tests; the long-term custody decision for the child is ultimately up to a judge.

Both parents are being held at the McHenry County jail.
    https://fox6now.com/2019/06/10/moth...-5-year-old-a-j-freund-gives-birth-in-prison/

kdg411 likes this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

'This is an egregious case': AJ Freund's estate considering lawsuit against DCFS

A McHenry County judge appointed a bank to serve as the administrator of slain child AJ Freund's estate Monday, clearing the way for a potential wrongful-death lawsuit against the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.

In court Monday, Judge Michael Chmiel approved a petition naming State Bank of Geneva as administrator of AJ's estate. The move allows attorneys for the estate to investigate the state's handling of AJ's case, seek state records involving him and his family, and sue DCFS or others.

"We really need to get to the heart of what this is about and see what DCFS has," said attorney Ted Meyers. "Not just the timeline, but the actual records. Based on what we've seen so far, this is an egregious case."

Winning damages from DCFS in state court would be challenging for the estate. State law provides widespread immunity to state agencies and their workers from negligence claims.

However, Meyers said, another option is bringing a federal lawsuit alleging DCFS violated AJ's constitutional rights to equal protection under the law.

Meyers said he also hopes AJ's case will cause change in state laws protecting children. AJ's case was one in which "obviously overworked" caseworkers missed obvious signs of abuse, he said.

"We don't think it will be a simple matter, but something has to change," Meyers added.

MORE: https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20...eunds-estate-considering-lawsuit-against-dcfs

kdg411 likes this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Crystal Lake Seeks to Demolish Freund House

The home where 5-year-old AJ Freund was allegedly beaten to death by his parents could be torn down. The city of Crystal Lake has filed complaint with McHenry County seeking the home at 94 Dole Avenue, which is "dangerous and unsafe" and would cost $100,000 to be brought up to code, be demolished, the Northwest Herald is reporting.

Some of the violations include mouse droppings inside the home; mold levels inside that are above what is considered elevated, with noticeable mold on the ceiling of the kitchen and master bedroom; missing flooring and subflooring; garbage and debris throughout the house; missing drywall and plaster and interior locks on the doors. Thousands of dollars in liens are in place against property, according to court documents.

The home has been in foreclosure and the owner of the home, Joann Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr., remain in custody each on a $5 million bail in connection with their son's death this past April.

https://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/crystal-lake-seeks-demolish-freund-house

[​IMG]

Steve and kdg411 like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Accused murderer, father of slain Crystal Lake boy fit to stand trial

The father accused of killing and burying 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund is psychologically fit to stand trial, his attorney said Tuesday.

Special Public Defender Henry Sugden had previously asked to have 60-year-old Andrew Freund Sr. evaluated to gauge the accused murderer and former attorney’s psychological well-being. Sugden said the evaluation was just precautionary and wasn’t an indication that Freund would enter an insanity plea.

https://www.kcchronicle.com/2019/07...-crystal-lake-boy-fit-to-stand-trial/az49e45/

spike, Steve and kdg411 like this.
  6. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

7. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

Kimster and Steve like this.
  8. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.. ..so very heartwrenching :sniffle:

9. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

I never hoped for jailhouse justice more than I do for these two cruel, heartless, individuals! I hope big daddy Bertha finds her way to to this poor excuse for a mother and makes her pee her pants! Then, to start, I hope she is punished with the same treatment she inflicted on her own child! And don't get me started on that sperm donor who called himself a father!

AJ Freund’s Dad Isn’t The Father Of Slain 5-Year-Old’s Newborn Sister, Paternity Tests Show

Screenshot_20190901-110444_Chrome.jpg
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oxygen.com/crime-time/aj-freunds-dad-andrew-isnt-father-of-joann-cunninghams-newborn?amp

Screenshot_20190901-110317_Chrome.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20190829/news/190828876/

kdg411 likes this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

JoAnn Cunningham, Charged With Killing Son A.J. Freund, Says ‘I’d Rather Kill Myself Than Hurt Anybody’

JoAnn Cunningham is accused of murdering her young son, 5-year-old A.J. Freund. Over a series of a half dozen recorded conversations and even more letters, CBS 2’s Brad Edwards asked her everything.

“I would rather kill myself than hurt my family,” Cunningham said tearfully in one of the calls. “I’d rather kill myself than hurt anybody.”

Soon after Cunningham’s arrest, in an effort to draft a proposal, Edwards wrote her, simply wanting to know how she would answer.

Edwards: “Did you kill A.J.?”

Cunningham: “No. I would never hurt my children.”

Edwards: “Now, you say that, but some people will say you used drugs while you were pregnant.”

Cunningham: “I know, and that’s something I cannot take back.”

Cunningham also said: “If it’s Drew, then he needs to grow some balls and he needs to tell them so everyone isn’t suffering. You know, I’m scared.”

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/09/26/brad-edwards-joann-cunningham-interview-aj-freund-murder/

KareBear and kdg411 like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

ONLY ON 2: JoAnn Cunningham, Charged With Killing Son AJ Freund, Opens Up To CBS 2’s Brad Edwards

Cunningham opened up about what she believed was AJ’s ODD, or Oppositional Defiant Disorder. ODD is defined by the Mayo Clinic as “a frequent and persistent pattern of anger, irritability, arguing, defiance or vindictiveness toward [parents] and other authority figures.”

Edwards: “Police say, on your phone… there is video of AJ lying on a bare mattress in his bedroom… and you were berating him for urinating on his bed.”

Cunningham: “Well, wouldn’t any parent?”

Edwards: “Were you using drugs when you had AJ?”

Cunningham: “When I was pregnant with him, yes.”

Edwards: “How could you be upset with AJ when you knew you were shooting up heroin when you were pregnant with him?”

Cunningham: “Heroin. It’s like the devil.”

Edwards: “Am I the only one you’ve been talking to?”

Cunningham: “Yes.”

Edwards: “Has everyone abandoned you?”

Cunningham: “Yes.”

Edwards: “Why?”

Cunningham: “Because they listened to the news.”

Long before her son died, Cunningham experienced another loss.

Edwards: “Did something terrible happen to you growing up?”

Cunningham: “Probably – my brother committed suicide.”

Cunningham was seven months pregnant with Nowicki’s baby when AJ died. Cunningham believed Nowicki would be getting out of jail the day that AJ was reported missing.

Edwards: “So you went to bed, right?”

Cunningham: “Yeah.”

Edwards: “And the next morning you were going to pick up Dan from jail. And no AJ?”

Cunningham: “Yeah, yeah.”

Cunningham was making plans for Nowicki to come live with her and her ex-boyfriend, Freund. AJ and his younger brother, both Freund’s children, were also living in the house.

“I’m pregnant with someone else’s child, and he was supposed to come live with us that morning,” Cunningham said.

Nowicki was not released that day. AJ was missing. Investigators found a search for “Child CPR” on Freund’s phone – a search Freund blames on Cunningham.

Edwards: “DCFS paints a horror show of what went on in that house. Was it a horror show, what was going on in that house in the end?”

Cunningham: “No, we were a good, loving family.”

Edwards: “JoAnn, a lot of people are just going to have a hard time believing that.”

Cunningham: “I’m sure they do, but I don’t care what they think.”

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/09/26/joann-cunningham-brad-edwards-exclusive/

KareBear and kdg411 like this.
  12. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Community group to honor memory of AJ Freund on what would have been his 6th birthday

A suburban community plans to gather Sunday to honor Andrew “AJ” Freund on what would have been his 6th birthday.

Organizers of the group ROAR for AJ posted to social media details of a walk that they said will celebrate the boy and “spread awareness and see AJ’s legacy be the change, the change that can save other children in Honor of A.J.”

Those who would like to participate are asked to gather at noon at Depot Park in Crystal Lake. A moment of silence is planned before the walk.

https://wgntv.com/2019/10/11/commun...und-on-what-would-have-been-his-6th-birthday/

[​IMG]

Kimster, GrandmaBear and kdg411 like this.
  13. GrandmaBear

GrandmaBear Bronze Member

This is a heartbreaking case. This poor child.

kdg411 likes this.
  14. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

He didn't stand a chance. :(

kdg411 and GrandmaBear like this.
  15. GrandmaBear

GrandmaBear Bronze Member

I agree. Sadly, his death likely saved his brother and baby sister.

kdg411 likes this.
  16. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

The Crystal Lake mother accused of beating and killing 5-year-old AJ Freund pleaded guilty late Thursday morning to first-degree murder.

An unshackled JoAnn Cunningham appeared in McHenry County Circuit Court accompanied by armed guards as she entered a guilty plea to one count of first-degree murder alleging that between the dates of April 15 through April 17 Cunningham struck her son knowing it would cause great bodily harm or result in his death.

Cunningham whispered the word "guilty." When asked if she would like to say anything further, she paused and her defense attorney, Richard Behof, an assistant public defender, whispered in her ear before she said "not at this time, your honor."

Cunningham entered what's known as a blind plea. That means it is a plea without an agreement between a defense lawyer and prosecutor as to the sentence. All of the remaining charges were dismissed in exchange for Cunningham inking the plea deal. The murder charge carries a penalty of 20 to 60 years in prison, which must be served at 100%. Additionally, Cunningham would have to register as a violent offender against youth.

Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr. were arrested on April 24 and charged with first-degree murder and a litany of other felonies tied to AJ’s death.

https://www.nwherald.com/2019/12/05/joann-cunningham-mother-to-slain-5-year-old-aj-freund-pleads-guilty-to-first-degree-murder/a13jg5k/?utm_medium=NWHFacebook&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2j0L09fAnf3MDU-FbN9iID_Gk8FAanMxuokeFKAaefJoKyWx3Dl9ye2D4#Echobox=1575569914

GrandmaBear and kdg411 like this.