1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Armed protesters in Burns, OR spark social media frenzy #OregonStandoff

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Kimster, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Armed group's leader in federal building: 'We will be here as long as it takes'
    (CNN)Armed protesters have taken over a building in a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon, accusing officials of unfairly punishing ranchers who refused to sell their land.

One them is Ammon Bundy, the 40-year-old son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who is well-known for anti-government action.

He spoke by phone to CNN on Sunday at 8 a.m. ET. Asked several times what he and those with him want, he answered in vague terms, saying that they want the federal government to restore the "people's constitutional rights."

"This refuge -- it has been destructive to the people of the county and to the people of the area," he said.

"People need to be aware that we've become a system where government is actually claiming and using and defending people's rights, and they are doing that against the people."

The group is inside part of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge near Burns after gathering outside for a demonstration supporting Dwight and Steven Hammond, father and son ranchers who were convicted of arson.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/

This is a huge social media issue, so thought y'all might be interested in discussing it. Burns is way over in eastern Oregon, east of Bend, and is usually considered to be a sleepy community. When I first read there was a huge protest going on, I wrongly assumed it was in Portland.

2. Kimster

Bundy and his supporters, numbering anywhere from 15 to 150 marched to protest the jailing of two of their fellow Oregon ranchers accused of 2001 and 2006 arson attacks, Dwight Hammond and his son Steven. Their argument is that the federal government has no authority in local cases, and that the reason for the ranch fires was not illegal and was for farming-related purposes.

But the armed group then unexpectedly took over the headquarters of the federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM), 50 miles outside the small town of Burns, in the Masher National Wildlife Refuge. Not many people have been able to get close enough to get an accurate picture of the situation. But the group has been issuing demands and they carry a strongly revolutionary message. It has not ruled out violence to achieve its means.

https://www.rt.com/usa/327809-bundy...RSS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GarAndMo49, walkie-talkie and spike like this.
  3. President Pope Dewey

President Pope Dewey Sanity is a state of mind

Now there's some accurate reporting for you. :rolleyes:

walkie-talkie, spike and Kimster like this.
  4. Kimster

So far, I've seen more people concerned about this on social media than any locals. I just got home and no one I saw seemed too excited about it.

5. Kimster

Two ranchers whose conviction on charges of arson on federal land sparked gunmen to seize Oregon federal site have turned themselves in, Harney County, Oregon, sheriff says.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

President Pope Dewey likes this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

A teenaged middle-eastern electronics geek carries a home-made clock to school, and shows it off to a teacher --- he's a "terrorist".

This group of men with "revolutionary" ideals and known anti-Govt sentiments use firearms to capture a Govt building -- they're an "armed group".

Just sayin'.

7. daisy7

daisy7 Member Supreme

BURNS — The sheriff of this small community has a short, unmistakable message for the militants occupying a complex of federal buildings southeast of town.

"Go home."

During a news conference that lasted only about a minute Monday afternoon, Harney County Sheriff David Ward read from prepared statements condemning the group led by the sons of controversial Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy.

The people who have occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge since Saturday evening say they don't plan to leave. In fact, they have outlined plans to turn the refuge over to area ranchers and loggers.

Their beef in Harney County is part of a larger, longer-standing debate over the ownership and management of U.S. public lands.

Ward took no questions from reporters and offered no clues to the response that local, state and federal law enforcement officials might have planned to quell the occupation 45 minutes outside town.

The FBI is leading the response. The Oregon State Sheriff's Association, the Oregon State Police and sheriff's offices from around Oregon also have sent people to Burns to help.

"Our goal is to work together and restore calm and regular services for the people of that community," Ward said.

Officers who addressed the slew of reporters gathered inside the Lincoln Junior High School gymnasium said no further comments would come Monday from local or federal law enforcement officials.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n..._to_oregon_militants_go.html#incart_big-photo

fran, walkie-talkie and Lily like this.
  8. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Let me first say I abhor violence of any sort. I'm not a fan what has been going on in Oregon with "others".

The Western part of the US is owned by the FEDS and most don't even know nor care about that. East of the Rockies just don't have a clue. :(

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/291-federal-lands-in-the-us

^^^ is about the map ONLY.

BLM owns most of the land and the BLM could mess up a good rock fight, IMO. They have no clue what they are doing since they are mostly Bureaucrats/appointed gov't hacks appointed by the Sec. of the Interior.. JMO. They (BLM) have so mismanaged the Federal lands. Again, IMO as a New Mexican. Yes ... New Mexico is a state.

I too have helped set back fires to impede wild fires. It is what you do to STOP the fire. Let me explain:
    A back fire is started way a head of wild fire... weather permitting ... meaning wind and dew point. The back fire will consume all the "fuel" the fire needs to "live". It works 100% of the time to save homes/land, etc. What the Feds did to the Hammonds (in Oregon) is shameful, and an overreach IMO.

The difference is I live in NM and not OR and I don't have to put up with the most overruled Court in the US ... the 9th District Court of Appeals (with the 6th District Court close).

The biggest cluster *uck of what the Feds did was the Los Alamos Fire. It was a planned fire by the Feds to burn the undergrowth @ Bandolier National Park. The Nat'l Weather service said DO NOT DO that ... winds too high and dew point too low. BLM ignored and did it anyway. Major devastation. The good folks that lost their homes/land were TOLD their fire insurance wouldn't cover their loss because GOD didn't start the ... man did = not covered!!!. Well then. Politicians got involved with each protecting their own backsides and the Clinton administration. Gads !! Again screws ups all around and the people get *ucked AGAIN. It all got worked out and covered after lots of wrangling. Shouldn't have happened in the first place. IMO.

Sidenote: Newest thing from the "darling" FEDS are doing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/yellowstone-kill-bison_n_5833016.html

Why can't they do what they do in S. Dakota: http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/events/bison-auction/
    They sell $$$$$ to the State fund any buffalo/bison over the 1000 that the land can handle. They do NOT shoot them.

And if you've not ever have been privileged to watch the buffalo roundup in SD watch here: greatest thing ever, as a spectator but the STATE runs this, not the FEDS:

Peace out folks and I mean PEACE, not violence.

Kimster, spike, Lily and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kimster

They're a bunch of loons. Oregonians want them to knock it off and get a real job. It's ridiculous.

GarAndMo49, Imamazed and Lily like this.
  10. Kimster

Interesting post!

My cousin has work for the BLM all his life. About 20 years ago, he went up to Alaska to work for them up there. We haven't heard from him in a long time now.

I wonder how many more missing relatives I have? & I wonder what the BLM did with my cousin?:waitasec:

Lily and President Pope Dewey like this.
  11. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

Ammon Bundy, 3 others arrested in Oregon amid shots fired – reports

[​IMG]

Ammon Bundy, the leader of the armed group occupying a federal wildlife refuge near Burns, Oregon, and three others have been arrested by law enforcement amid shots being fired, according to local media.
    According to KATU News, Bundy and the others were arrested near the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

see more .............. https://www.rt.com/usa/330249-ammon-bundy-oregon-arrest/

12. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

Leader of Oregon occupation Ammon Bundy, three others arrested

Sources tell KATU News there was some sort of engagement involving shots fired as the militia group was on its way to a meeting in John Day.

Highway 395 closed between Burns and John Day around 5 p.m.

The details of the arrest have not yet been released, but officials say there are injuries in the area.

Bundy and dozen

read more ........ http://katu.com/news/local/leader-of-oregon-occupation-ammon-bundy-three-others-arrested

13. walkie-talkie

walkie-talkie Can you hear me now?

GarAndMo49 and fran like this.
  14. walkie-talkie

15. walkie-talkie

16. walkie-talkie

17. walkie-talkie

18. fran