1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Armed protesters in Burns, OR spark social media frenzy #OregonStandoff

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Kimster, Jan 3, 2016.

1. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Last month I attended a workshop where the judge in this County was the keynote speaker. Going back and rereading the comments that were made last year are quite interesting now that I've heard it from his perspective from beginning to end.

Paradise likes this.
  3. Kimster

From what was reported to us, the man was armed. And he had been going around saying that he was going to die "suicide by cop". The residents were hoping he was just trying to act like a tough guy. I guess he meant it.

Paradise likes this.
  4. Kimster

The speaker was trying to get us to understand what it would be like if our town had been taken over by outsiders with an agenda. Look at where all these people live. They all got together to take over this innocent town. It just sucks. I'm just surprised it lasted as long as it did. Also, he mentioned a group called COWS. I haven't looked that up yet, but I guess they were instrumental in backing up this group.

spike likes this.
  5. Kimster

Most of the residents there carry guns. That wasn't the issue at all. It was the fact that they took over a community. Everyone was afraid. The group went around pushing their weight around and they acted like they were going to take control of the town of Burns. They had a get-together in the school gymnasium, and the members of the group came up and set up high all around the bleachers and were all armed. It was a form of intimidation and it wasn't right.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    spike likes this.
  6. Kimster

One great thing that came about it was that the relationship between the Native Americans in the area and the other folk was strengthened. They all feel bonded together like never before. I was really glad we were told that part of it. He wanted to impress upon us about how a community comes together in the face of a terrible situation like this and that our communities will pull together and get through. It was very inspirational all and all.

spike, Olenna and fran like this.
  7. Kimster

At one point, they threatened to hold the artifacts hostage. They threatened that if the town's folk didn't do as they demanded, they would destroy some of the artifacts. One of the Native American leaders came forth and said you cannot destroy our heritage, because it is the land. It sounds like it was quite moving! I wish we had a video of that response.

spike, Olenna and fran like this.
  8. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

LaVoy Finicum shooting: FBI agent indicted for alleged false statements

An FBI agent has been indicted on federal accusations that he lied about firing at Robert "LaVoy" Finicum last year as police arrested the leaders of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation.

The agent will face allegations of making a false statement with intent to obstruct justice, according to sources familiar with the case.

The indictment stems from a more than yearlong investigation by the inspector general of the U.S. Department of Justice. The agent will be identified when he's summoned to appear in U.S. District Court in Portland at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Investigators said a member of the FBI's elite Hostage Rescue Team fired at Finicum as his 2015 Dodge pickup truck crashed into a snow bank at a roadblock on U.S. 395. Finicum had just sped away from a surprise traffic stop on the rural highway as the occupation leaders traveled off the refuge to a community meeting Jan. 26, 2016.

read more ............ http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2017/06/fbi_agent_indicted_accused_of.html

Kimster and spike like this.
  9. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

After the car crashed into the snow bank, Finicum was the only one that actually got out of the car and was walking with his hands out. He was surrounded, swung around like he had been called and he dropped his hands and was shot. It didn't look like he attempted to reach for anything like a gun. IMO

walkie-talkie and spike like this.
  10. Kimster

It didn't to me either, but I've been told that from another camera at a different angle, there is another story.

11. Kimster

:mad: Please believe me, these people are NOT heroes! They have an agenda and damn anyone who gets in their way!

A federal judge declared a mistrial Wednesday in the Nevada case against Cliven Bundy, his two sons and another man accused of leading a 2014 armed standoff with federal agents during a cattle grazing dispute.

Chief U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro in Las Vegas dismissed a jury seated last month for the long-awaited trial of Bundy, his sons Ryan and Ammon Bundy and self-styled Montana militia leader Ryan Payne.

The decision is the latest in a string of failed prosecutions in Nevada and Oregon against those who have opposed federal control of vast swaths of land in Western states.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/2...case-against-nevada-rancher-cliven-bundy.html

12. Kimster

13. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

It appears so, and have been granted the court's blessing to go and do whatever they please. :mad:

14. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

The Feds had an agenda. To get a conviction at all costs. Withholding important evidence from the defense is inexcusable IMO.

spike and Paradise like this.
  15. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I think the judge made the right decision. We can't allow the government to withhold evidence that can benefit the defense not matter who the defendants are.

16. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

I do agree, Ranch. It just irritates me that these terrorists are now free to continue resisting the law and being a menace to society, and nothing can be done about it. Since they know now they can get away with it, I'm afraid it's going to embolden them further.

Kimster, spike and Paradise like this.
  17. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

I've had mixed feelings about this. I do agree with @Ranch.

Ranch, Uno2Much and spike like this.
  18. Kimster

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't disclose. I mean seriously, you would think that they would have cross their t's and dotted their i's! I'll bet you the locals are angry with them too.

Uno2Much, spike, Ranch and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

The Feds created a bigger problem by not disclosing this evidence to the defense.

The Bundy's and their supporters can know legitimately say that the Federal Government has been unjustly persecuting them.

spike and Paradise like this.
  20. Kimster

Grrrrrr.....

Yes, that's true.

spike, Paradise and Ranch like this.