1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

OR ASHLAND JOHN DOE: M, 1-2, found in Keene Creek Reservoir in OR - July 1963 - Possible Down Syndrome

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jul 13, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Ashland, Oregon John Doe

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

On July 11, 1963, the body of an unidentified child was recovered from the Keene Creek Reservoir along Highway 66 approximately 12 miles east of Ashland, Oregon. A man fishing in the Kenne Creek Reservoir along Highway 66 in the mountains east of Ashland hooked what he thought was a blanket roll. But the bundle, a blanket and quilt wrapped with wire, contained a boy's body.

Based on the condition of the remains, it is believed the child died some time after October 1962. Winter's freezing temperatures could have helped preserve the body, but the medical examiner couldn't be sure. The condition of the body prevented him from determining a cause of death.

The child's footprints were taken with the help of the FBI, and deputies spent days with magnifying glasses comparing them with imprints taken of newborns at local hospitals around the time they estimated he had been born.

The child was wrapped in an aqua blanket and a handmade patchwork quilt with red gingham squares. Two iron assayer’s molds were also found wrapped in the quilt.

The child may have suffered from Downs Syndrome or another congenital illness.

The child was found wearing a red long-sleeved shirt with horizontal thin white stripes, gray corduroy pants with an elastic waist and a buckle for size adjustment, ankle socks and size 3 white shoes known as "Jumping Jacks". The clothing was likely purchased at “JC Penney”. It is believed the shoes were purchased at Norris Shoe Store in downtown Medford, Oregon. He was also wearing a cloth diaper with blue diaper pins that was covered with elastic pants.

The child was buried in Medford. His grave marker reads "John Doe name only known to God."

NCMEC poster - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMU/1104614/1/screen

Doe Network - http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1144umor.html

Male
    1-2 years of age
    Approximately 2'8" and 25 pounds
    Brown hair

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5562

Edited by Kimster to add media link:
    http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/ashland-oregon-johndoe-did-you-know-me-1963.573/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Nobody's Child

Looking back, Fagan said the death could have been accidental, but someone feared facing repercussions. It could have naturally occurred in a family that didn't have the means for a conventional burial. It could have been a homicide someone hoped to hide.

Reports indicated that both the molds, designed for refining and casting metal, and the telephone wire were once common, but already old and seldom used by the time the boy was found.

In one tantalizing example, a deputy wrote that Mrs. Cecil Johnson, on Route 1 in Central Point, reported that the child's description matched that of a "welfare baby" she had taken care of for more than two years. The report said the child had been born "at Fairview Home to a 14-year-old mentally retarded girl" and brought to the Johnsons when he was 10 days old. On Jan. 31, 1963, "Mrs. Uridel, of the welfare," had come to collect the baby because she heard the Johnsons were having money problems, the report said. When picked up, the child was wearing a red-and-white striped T-shirt, corduroy pants and white shoes, Mrs. Johnson told the deputy. She was also suspicious because no one had come to collect the child's clothes and medical records from her.

The file contained no other information about this report."We'd sure like to know who Mrs. Cecil Johnson of Route 1 was," Pike said.

"We'd sure like to know who Mrs. Cecil Johnson of Route 1 was," Pike said.

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20080803/NEWS/808030322

3. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

I think reading this thread made me feel the saddest ive ever felt on this forum.
    :sniffle:

4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

For The Missing: Pacific Northwest
    https://www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest/posts/10153633459154452

Recently, ‪#‎BabyDoe‬ was identified as ‪#‎BellaBond‬. Those responsible for her death can finally be held accountable. However, there are countless other children who still remain unidentified. Including one of our own in the Northwest. Bella was identified, in part, because of the massive amount of exposure she got on the news and in social media. Can we help identify this little guy from ‪#‎Oregon‬, who remains unidentified more than 50 years after his death? Please share to help get his face out there. Even after all this time, someone knows. Also retweet on Twitter @MissingNW

5. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

I wonder if Carl can do something with the recons to make him more life like...

6. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

I'm going to make a facebook page for this little one when I get the time. This is just not right what happened to him. I would have gladly have taken him home and called him my boy. would have been proud to do so. I agree with @MissyMoo that reading this thread and this child's circumstances made me so very sad.

7. DaisyChains

just listing these two boys as they were the only i could find who went missing during the time this baby john doe was thought to have possibly been killed.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Above Images:

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

• Missing Since: December 17, 1962 from Vineland, Cumberland County, New Jersey
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Date Of Birth: March 5, 1959
    • Height: 3'0"
    • Weight: 30 lbs.
    • Hair Color: Light Brown
    • Eye Color: Blue
    • Race: White
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: William had a vaccination scar on his left
      outer arm which is shaped like a giraffe.
    • Clothing: Billy was last seen wearing a blue snow suit with large silver buttons
      and tan high-top tennis shoes.
    • AKA: Billy
    • Case Number: 72911-09

Details of Disappearance
    William was last seen in the back yard of his residence on December 17, 1962. His mother watched Billy and his younger sister from the kitchen window while making lunch. In the instant she was distracted, Billy was gone.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Vineland Police Department
    856-691-4111

Source Information
    NCMEC
    Unsolved in the News

8. DaisyChains

Mark Eugene Yoli

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Above Images: Yoli Right; AP to age 54

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

• Missing Since: September 13, 1962 from Camp Lejeune, Onslow County, North Carolina
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Date Of Birth: January 9, 1960
    • Height: 2'6"
    • Weight: 30 lbs.
    • Hair Color: Brown
    • Eye Color: Brown
    • Race: White
    • Clothing: A t-shirt and brown shorts.
    • Case Number: 2014004909

Details of Disappearance
    Mark Yoli and his sister Diana, have been missing since September 13, 1962.

They were last seen near their home at Midway Park, playing at a playground.

When it became apparent children weren’t going to show up on their own, a huge effort began to find them. The search was abandoned September 17. Convicted child molester Henry Hunt, who died in 1991, remains the only suspect in the children’s abduction. He alledgedly told his wife he dumped them at the bottom of a mine near Maysville, according to her deathbed confession.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Onslow County Sheriff's Office
    910-455-3113

Source Information
    NCMEC
    JDNews

Kimster likes this.
  9. DaisyChains

i doubt it was either boy that I listed. I have a feeling a guardian of sorts left the child's body in that blanket. many times guardians leave blankets or wrap the child in their blanket. This happened with Baby Bella and countless other cases.

"We'd sure like to know who Mrs. Cecil Johnson of Route 1 was," Pike said.

completely agree with Pike. Furthermore, Mrs. Johnson seemed to take issue with social services. Did she not trust the social workers and their ability to place the child in an adequate home? interesting though that the child was taken away b/c the foster parents did not have the money to care for him. I would hate to think the child became a "burden" to the state and there was some sort of cover up when he was injured/killed in state care. Or a foster parent hurt him. Boy in a Box found in 1957 in PA may have suffered a similar fate jmo.

patsella and Kimster like this.
  10. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Are they sure "Mrs. Uridel" actually worked for welfare services? Old city directories and/or telephone books, or the local historical society might be useful in tracking down Mrs. Cecil Johnson.

DaisyChains and Kimster like this.
  11. DaisyChains

good point! hm i wonder i wonder?!?!

12. DaisyChains

13. DaisyChains

@Sunburst i hopped on here real
    Quick to google around the surname Uridel. Found some hits in Oregon, but can't move further as I don't have an ancestry account. Maybe we can start there?

Hope yo are doing great today! :hug:

Sunburst likes this.
  14. DaisyChains

Wait so was it Cecil Roy Rapp?

http://m.mailtribune.com/article/20080806/News/808060316

"
    Readers of the first story in the Mail Tribune were quick to identify Mrs. Cecil Johnson, a Central Point woman who had gone to police to voice concerns that the little boy found by a fisherman July 11, 1963, matched the description of a foster child who had been taken from her care.

Sparse follow-up at the time left current investigators with few details about who she was, but Beulah Johnson's daughters still live in the Rogue Valley and were quick to call and offer help this time, too, Detective Sgt. Colin Fagan said.

They, and other callers, said Cecil and Beulah Johnson had a small dairy on Scenic Avenue. He worked at the Double D Lumber mill and was active in local politics while she cared for their son, Cecil, three daughters, Joyce, Janice and Christine, as well as a string of foster children.

One of those foster children, a boy named Cecil Roy Rapp, was brought to them when he was about 10 days old.

The family was told he had been born to a developmentally disabled 14-year-old girl, originally from Rogue River, who lived at Fairview Home, a state institution in Salem.

With two Cecils in the family already, the Johnsons called the boy "PeeWee," and the girls, who ranged from age 10 into their teens at the time, remember him fondly.

"They had very vivid memories of this little guy," said Jackson County Deputy Medical Examiner Tim Pike.

They still recall their sadness when a stern woman of about 50 from the welfare office, known only as Mrs. Uridel in the old police reports, abruptly took PeeWee away on Jan. 31, 1963.

In talking with Pike and Fagan, Janice and Christine recounted how the Johnsons cried together on the front step as the sobbing PeeWee was driven down the lane away from the only family he had ever known, his tear-stained face framed in the car window."

15. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Happy Easter.I do not have an ancestry account. It's on my wish list for the future. I did find 2 people with the last name of Uridel on findagrave from Oregon. One male, one female. She died in 1964. He died in 1961. He was born in 1906; she was born in 1912. They are buried in the same Oregon cemetery. There are also a number of Uridels buried in FL, MN, and several other states, most in the Midwest.

There are several Cecil Rapps on findagrave, but birth dates do not fit the child mentioned in the news article. "Mrs. Uridel", if it is the same person that the news article mentions, would have been about 50 years old in 1960

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Advocate, patsella and DaisyChains like this.
  16. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Edit time expired while I was trying to edit my above post. I was trying to type the following sentence.

"Mrs. Uridel" from the Oregon cemetery would have been about 51 in 1963, which fits with the description of "about 50" that the newspaper article mentioned.

17. DaisyChains

wow great catch!!! I wonder if it is the same Mrs. Uridel and if she is responsible for the boy being murdered/killed? Sadly she will never see justice on this earth, but for those of us celebrating the real meaning of Easter today I can say that she did face the judgement seat when she left this earth and at least I can find some solace in that.

Advocate, patsella and Sunburst like this.
  18. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

I looked in Canadian mps . There were no missing boys that matched for the age and time frame on the Canadian site.

Advocate and DaisyChains like this.
  19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Advocate and DaisyChains like this.
  20. President Pope Dewey

President Pope Dewey Sanity is a state of mind

If you can find obits to match up with the grave markers, it should have a list of "survived by" relatives.

Advocate, DaisyChains and patsella like this.