1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

SA BEAUMONT CHILDREN: Missing from Glenelg Beach, Adelaide, SA - 26 Jan 1966 - Ages 9, 7, 4

Discussion in 'Australia: Missing & Unidentified' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jan 20, 2016.

  1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

    SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

    Jane Beaumont, 9, Arnna Beaumont, 7, and Greant Beaumont, 4, were last seen on Australia Day (January 26), 1966.

    [​IMG]

    The Beaumont children, siblings from Somerton Park, a suburb of Adelaide, took the bus to Glenelg Beach on January 26, 1996. This was a common journey for them to make. They left home around 10:00 am and were due to return by 2:00 pm. When they did not, their parents called police around 7:30 pm.


    Wikipedia link with a great summary of the case - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont_children_disappearance

    http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...ldren-missing-from-australia-since-1966.1175/
     
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Mel70, MissyMoo, Uno2Much and 4 others like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

    SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

    New lead on missing Beaumont children

    South Australian murder detectives are investigating a new lead about the missing Beaumont children almost 50 years after their infamous disappearance.

    Major Crimes Detective Superintendent Des Bray says police have never closed their investigations and are currently looking into a new lead involving a now-dead suspect.

    'We had a phone call to the office from somebody who had been told something by somebody about who committed this offence,' he told ABC radio on Tuesday.

    'They firmly believed that the person they're nominating has done it, so we've sent investigators to investigate those claims. That will take a few days to do.

    http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/01/19/new-lead-on-missing-beaumont-children.html


    Suspect identified in Beaumont children case as 50th anniversary nears

    IS this the breakthrough in the missing Beaumont children mystery police have been waiting decades for?

    Major crime detectives in South Australia have revealed they are looking into a new lead, and have even been given the name of a suspect.

    Police have received 159 CrimeStoppers calls about the children — one every four days — over the past two years.

    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/669c2d5edd6bfa5f78e76a8d3df5753a
     
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

    SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

    Police still receiving tips 50 years after Beaumont children went missing

    Australia Day 2016 marks the fiftieth anniversary of the case of the missing Beaumont children, who disappeared from Glenelg beach near Adelaide, South Australia.

    Every year the chances of finding the perpetrator of the Beaumont’s kidnapping declines, as police estimates the suspect would be between 70-100 years old.

    http://www.ibtimes.com.au/police-st...-after-beaumont-children-went-missing-1501441

    [​IMG]
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  4. Lily

    Lily Bronze Member

    Just weeks ago, one call identified a new person of interest who has never before been linked to the case and has since died.

    "[The information was] credible enough in that we believe we need to investigate it as opposed to file it," Des Bray from the Major Crime Unit told 9NEWS.


    Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-mark-50-year-anniversary#HPZxE578SRIJk1ql.99

    Awesome news!

    Thanks for making the thread!
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  5. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Marking the 50th anniversary of Adelaide's enduring unsolved mystery

    26 Jan 2016, 9:36am

    On January 26, 1966, Jane, Arnna and Grant Beaumont disappeared without a trace.

    Jane, 9, Arnna, 7, and Grant, 4, left their family home at Somerton Park at 10:00am.

    It was Australia Day and they were to spend the day, unsupervised, at Glenelg Beach — which at the time was not unusual.

    But the three children would never be seen by their parents again.

    The SAPOL log detailed the following:

    • 7:20pm — South Australia Women Police Office report children missing, reported to Glenelg Police by father minutes before. Father and police carried out thorough search of beach area.
    • 8:40pm — Local police searched the Brighton foreshore; officers also search West Beach and Henley Beach for children.
    • 9:50pm — Sea Rescue Squadron volunteers offer to search coastline, police decline official expression but advise squadron can search on their own accord.
    • 10:00pm — Police check with father who reports he has spoken with friends and relatives and cannot locate children. The father authorises police to supply radio stations with public announcements.
    • 10:17pm — Three police officers report they have searched vessels at Boat Haven and surrounding lawns, with the children not sighted.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-...pearance-timeline-50-years-of-mystery/7104032
     
  6. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

  7. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

  8. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    The above link has quite a lengthy article about the Beaumont children as it's 50yrs today since they went missing.

    If they're still alive today their ages would be.....Jane 59, Arnna, 57, and Grant, 54.
     
  9. Lily

    Lily Bronze Member

    Good article, by Andrew Rule:




    WHO knew broken hearts could keep beating so long?

    Jim and Nancy Beaumont are now 90 and 88. For 50 years they have woken every day to face the nightmare that their three children vanished from a crowded beach on Australia Day, 1966.

    --

    Inevitably, the 50th anniversary of the Beaumont case has prompted what is called a “new lead”. Odds are it’s just the latest of the many “tips” given to police over the years, and almost certainly just another cross-out on a list of dead ends.

    Such “leads” have come from the mentally ill, from cruel hoaxers and from sincere well-meaning people. They all share one thing: so far, not one has been useful. Neither has the police work that began with a bizarre artist’s impression of the thin, blond man with the Beaumont children when last seen.

    It was, after all, Australia Day, and the artist (and, no doubt, many police) had been celebrating in traditional style — beer, burned sausages and more beer — before being called in that evening.

    The artist would later admit he was so liquored up he could hardly hold his pen, which explains why the sketch looks more like an alien than human. It was a bad start to an investigation that never got much better.

    (keep reading for info in various suspects)

    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...y/news-story/0d415a3e86a6701134046a9bb65151e1
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much and MarlyWings like this.
  10. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Millionaire ladyboy bar owner and child sex offender Tony Munro questioned in 1966 Beaumont children mystery[​IMG]

    October 13, 2016 6:35pm

    Millionaire bar owner and convicted paedophile Anthony Munro is a person of interest in the 50-year-old mystery of the missing Beaumont children, news.com.au can reveal.

    Munro, 71, has pleaded guilty to child sex offences in South Australia going back to 1962 — four years before the Beaumonts vanished from Adelaide’s Glenelg Beach.

    Police interviewed Munro in June this year about the Beaumont case, Australia’s greatest child mystery, in which siblings Jane, 9, Arnna, 7, and four-year-old Grant Beaumont disappeared on January 26, 1966.

    Police believe Munro was in Adelaide around the time when the Beaumont children vanished, but there is no evidence linking him to their disappearance.

    Munro returned to Adelaide for questioning from Cambodia where he operates a lady boy bar and lives in a lavish apartment with his Cambodian lover.

    The former Adelaide scout leader and resident of the beachside suburb of Glenelg is also wanted in Cambodia for questioning over alleged child sex offences.

    Cambodian officials are investigating offences relating to orphanages Munro funded in Siem Reap City, the tourist capital for the World Heritage listed Angkor Wat temple complex.

    Munro pleaded guilty to 10 child sex offences including buggery and indecent assault against several victims in South Australia’s Kangaroo Island, Rapid Bay and the Glenelg between 1962 and 1983.

    In 1992, Mr Munro was convicted over a 1990 indecent assault an 11-year-old boy and sentenced to seven months in prison.

    He moved to Cambodia more than seven years ago and became involved in charities for orphaned Cambodians.

    In a 2009 blog by one of the charities, Munro is described as running a fish and egg farm and helping out along with members of Rotary.

    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/li...y/news-story/3cfbbd9479d0c47fbf33fdc23b01be45
     
    MissyMoo and Uno2Much like this.
  11. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    In 2011, Munro told the Phnom Penh Post he was recruiting cross-dressers to his troupe of stage performers at the Station bar in Siem Reap.

    He said his aim was to make the bar a gay-friendly and comfortable environment for men like him, who had recently declared they were homosexual.

    “I wanted to make it different to all the other places around town. Up until a couple of years ago I had been a closet case all my life so I thought: ‘Oh well, this is one way of having a place for people like me.’

    “We don’t advertise as a gay bar, but it’s a gay-friendly bar.

    “It’s a place that if people see the gay flag and if they were like I used to be, they know it’s somewhere where they can come in and feel comfortable.”

    The resulting stage show has been described on Trip Advisor as “superb”, and “great out-of-the-way bar to see a really professional Ladyboy show for the price of a drink”.

    The Phnom Penh Post quoted young men who said they welcomed the opportunity to freely express their cross gender orientation, which was publicly discouraged in Cambodia.

    “I do this to make money but it’s also who I am. I love men and I dress as a girl on the street,” Koa Veasna said.

    The Cambodia Daily reported that in Siem Reap, Munro is under investigation by police and child protection group Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) for allegedly abusing two boys.

    APLE’s country director, Samleang Seila, said Munro also volunteered at multiple orphanages in the Siem Reap province.

    But since his return to Australia, the investigation has slowed.

    At the Station Bar in Siem Reap, the acting manager Keo Piseth told the Cambodia Daily that Munro had returned to face trial in Australia “because he realised he had made mistakes”.

    “He told me on a few occasions … that he didn’t want to feel regret again and again,” he said. “That’s why he tried to clean himself to make himself better. He made mistakes 30 to 40 years ago.”

    Anthony Alan Munro will appear at a pre-sentence arraignment in Adelaide District Court on December 9.

    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/li...y/news-story/3cfbbd9479d0c47fbf33fdc23b01be45
     
    MissyMoo likes this.
  12. Scorpio

    Scorpio Bronze Member

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...ildren-at-north-plympton-factory-site/9350116

    Police to conduct new search for Beaumont children at industrial site in Adelaide

    A new police search will be made for the Beaumont children at an Adelaide factory site once owned by a man police have investigated as part of the case.

    Key points:
    • Police will excavate a new area of the Castalloy factory in search of the Beaumont children
    • The site was previously searched in 2013
    • The Beaumont children went missing on January 26, 1966

    The three children went missing from Glenelg beach on January 26, 1966.

    Adelaide businessman Harry Phipps, who died in 2004, once owned the North Plympton site on which police will again focus their investigation.

    The Beaumont case has been subject to a review by SA Police's Major Crime Investigation Branch in the past year.

    At the same time, Channel 7 conducted its own probe into the disappearance of Jane, 9, Arnna, 7, and Grant, 4, and made police aware of geophysical test results and new information from witnesses.

    [​IMG]

    Photo: A sketch of the man witnesses said they saw with the Beaumont children the day they disappeared. (Supplied: SA Police)


    As a result police will excavate another part of a North Plympton factory site, which is now Castalloy, in the next few weeks. The dig follows an earlier excavation at the property in 2013 in which nothing was found.

    The site was first searched back in 1966 following insights by a Dutch clairvoyant. The community raised money to have the site excavated at that time against the advice of police and the government. In November 2013, police used ground-penetrating radar and excavated a one-metre-squared section of the site.
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much, spike and 4 others like this.
  13. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    A three-metre deep hole dug at an Adelaide factory in 1966 is the focus of a renewed investigation into the disappearance of the Beaumont children but there's nothing to suggest it holds their remains, police say.

    Major crime detectives will dig at the Plympton factory in coming weeks after a scientific assessment of the site revealed anomalies, indicating a large hole.

    But they have also called for people to "temper their expectations".

    "We don't know what we will find," Superintendent Des Bray told reporters on Tuesday.

    "There's never been anything to prove that the Beaumont children are in the hole.

    "However, common sense says, that even with the slightest chance that this hole could be relevant, we should search and that's what we're doing."

    More at link ----------------------> https://www.sbs.com.au/news/beaumon...hole-at-factory-focus-for-police-on-cold-case
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much, Imamazed and 3 others like this.
  14. Scorpio

    Scorpio Bronze Member

    I hope this search effort yields results.
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much, Imamazed and 3 others like this.
  15. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

  16. Scorpio

    Scorpio Bronze Member

  17. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    MissyMoo, Uno2Much and spike like this.
  18. Lily

    Lily Bronze Member

    .. why they are redoing a dig based on 'information' provided by a hack conman that didn't (of course) pan out 50 years ago, is completely beyond me.


    I mean.. just look at how much sense -any- of this makes:


    The site was first searched back in 1966 following insights by a Dutch clairvoyant. The community raised money to have the site excavated at that time against the advice of police and the government. In November 2013, police used ground-penetrating radar and excavated a one-metre-squared section of the site.

    .. it's just nuts. And speaking of nuts, there's a prominent one who fooled some poor journo into swallowing her malarkey and as a result, another wild goose chase has kicked off a couple years back.. no result there either, surprise surprise. It's as if leaving your brain in a jar by the door is a prerequisite for having anything to do with this case.

    Which just makes me very sad and angry for those poor wee kids and their family.
     
    Mel70, MissyMoo, Paradise and 3 others like this.
  19. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    Oh no! I didn't realise they'd already been searching that very area!
     
  20. Lily

    Lily Bronze Member

    Well, they searched a very small area, it seems due to public pressure.. I would love to know exactly why they're re-doing this search. The source of the original info is just so incredibly dodgy.

    Hurkos had an innocent man arrested, convicted and committed to an insane asylum for the Boston Strangler crimes. Nuff said.
     
    MissyMoo, Uno2Much, spike and 3 others like this.

Share This Page