1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

GREECE BEN NEEDHAM: Missing from the Greek island of Kos - 24 July 1991 - Age 21 months

Discussion in 'Europe: Missing & Unidentified' started by Ladyslug, May 9, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/up...mation-to-bring-him-home-and-lay-him-to-rest/
    Ben Needham family: Help us 'bring him home'

The family of Ben Needham have reissued an appeal for anyone with more information about where the missing toddler could be to get in touch, so they can "bring him home and lay him to rest."

Officers from South Yorkshire Police say they believe Ben died in an accident involving a digger on the day he went missing 25 years ago on the Greek island of Kos. Detectives recently spent three weeks searching the area, but Ben's body was not found.

MissyMoo, Akoya, spike and 1 other person like this.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-12-12/ben-needham-family-insists-people-do-know-what-happened-to-him/

Ben Needham family insists: 'People do know what happened to him'

Speaking to Good Morning Britain, Ben's mother, Kerry, said: "We know for a fact that there are people on Kos that know what happened to Ben that day". She added that witness statements given to South Yorkshire Police had backed up that belief.

"We have been assured by South Yorkshire Police that people do know. They do know. But they've lied", Ms Needham said. Ben's mother, grandmother Christine and sister Leigh-Anna called for more pressure to be put onto the Greek authorities to help with the investigation.

His family accept that Ben is likely dead, although the official police investigation remains open. Christine Needham said it was now about bringing home Ben's body.

"He deserves that. We're not asking for very much... It's time that somebody just gave us a bit of respect", she said. Last month, Leigh-Anna Needham told GMB that the family remains hopeful of finding Ben.

"We've been stuck in limbo for 25 years. I don't think my grandparents can take much more of this", she said. "It's absolutely destroyed my family and now I'm even more determined to find out what happened on that day".

MissyMoo, Akoya, spike and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/20...er-driver-my-father-did-not-kill-ben-needham/
    20 January 2017 at 8:35am
    Son of Greek digger driver: 'My father did not kill Ben Needham'
    The son of the digger driver implicated over the death of Ben Needham on Kos says there is "no evidence" his father killed the Sheffield toddler and covered it up.

South Yorkshire Police returned from Kos saying it was their "professional belief" Ben had been killed. But speaking to Athens-based programme Tatiana Live Valantis Barkas denied his father had anything to do with it. We wonder who made this story up. He was very careful while working and never ever caused an accident. No one ever blamed him on Ben's case. He was only accused after he died, so he couldn't defend himself. It's so unfair for him and my family. There's no proof and no one believes it. – Valantis Barkas

In his first television interview with Greek media Valantis Barkas also claimed South Yorkshire Police had apologised for the "trouble" his family had been put through after the allegations about his father, Konstantinos, became public.

Mr Barkas said his father believed Ben had been abducted and would never have covered up such a crime. "I have a child I can understand her pain, my father would never do that, he was an honest man." He said the family had received threats after his father was connected with the case. He said: "The police officer in charge of the investigation in Kos came to me and apologised for all the trouble my family went through. I told him he can't just fix all this damage with an apology. I want to help but they shouldn't have given out my dead father's name."

South Yorkshire Police have maintained their position. Det Insp Jon Cousins, who led the excavation in Kos, said: “Based on those facts and the information I have to date, it is still my professional belief that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident at the farmhouse involving heavy machinery." The fact that we did not have a direct result during the most recent visit to Kos, does not preclude the facts that we know to be true. Primacy for the investigation lies with the Greek authorities and South Yorkshire Police remain committed to assisting them in any ongoing enquiries they may have. – Det Insp Jon Cousins, South Yorkshire Police

spike, Akoya, MissyMoo and 1 other person like this.
  4. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

What makes them so sure that he was killed by the machinery that day and not kidnapped, I wonder?

spike, Scorpio, MissyMoo and 3 others like this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Someone who worked for Dino Barkas when he was a teenager told the British police that he thought Dino killed Ben with the digger. They have absolutely no proof. According to the family book about Ben, Dino was not in the area when Ben disappeared. Dino was one of the witnesses who saw the white Suzuki car parked in the country lane on the day Ben disappeared. Nothing was said to implicate Dino Barkas until a few months after he died from cancer. A woman on the island was suspected for years of being the owner of the Suzuki and involved with Ben's disappearance.

The British have not done a very good job on this case. They have twice dug holes in the field, but that's about all they have done.

6. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

That's what i mean. What makes them so convinced that he did do it?

spike, Scorpio, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  7. Ladyslug

Ladyslug Bronze Member

Well they found one of Bens cars in the rubble but that on it's own can't prove he died there

spike, Scorpio, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I think this was an attempt by Xanthippe Agrelli and her friends to take the heat off of themselves and put it on Dino Barkas who could no longer defend himself. Xanthippe Agrelli and her friends had done and said horrible things about Kerry Needham. Xanthippe had also been caught lying about evidence in the case.

9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I think the toy car probably did belong to Ben. He could have dropped it while he was being kidnapped or he could have dropped it while a digger was crushing him. I agree with you, Ladyslug, the toy car, by itself, proves absolutely nothing.

Similar Car

[​IMG]

10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-needhams-grandfather-urges-greek-9661619

Ben Needham's grandfather urges Greek authorities to launch fresh search for missing grandson

Eddie Needham, 68, has appealed for anyone with information to come forward as the family is desperate to get Ben home

BY LUCY THORNTON 18:00, 20 JAN 2017

The grandfather of missing Ben Needham has urged the Greek authorities to conduct a fresh search for his grandson.

Eddie Needham, 68, has appealed for anyone with information to come forward as the family is desperate to get Ben home.

Ben was 21 months old when he vanished in July 1991 after being taken to a remote farmhouse on the Greek island of Kos where Eddie was carrying out renovations.

Last year British detectives travelled to Kos to conduct a fresh search for Ben after being given Konstantinos Barkas’s name, following a fresh appeal on Greek TV.

It was claimed the digger driver, who died in 2015, had accidentally killed Ben on the day the 21-month-old went missing in July 1991 before burying his body.

The information led to excavations on the island, which failed to uncover a body but led to the discovery of a toy car he was playing with on the day he vanished.

South Yorkshire Police returned from Kos saying it was their “professional belief” Ben had been killed.

Eddie said: “I believe the Greek authorities should keep searching for Ben in Kos and get permission from Athens to do that.

“It is a Greek lead investigation and someone on the island knows what happened. The family is in limbo until we have an answer to where Ben is.”

But the digger driver’s son went on Greek TV recently to insist again, there is “no evidence” his father killed the toddler and covered it up.

In his first television interview with Greek media Valantis Barkas also claimed South Yorkshire Police had apologised for the “trouble” his family had been put through after the allegations about his father, Konstantinos, became public.

Speaking to Athens-based programme Tatiana Live Valantis Barkas denied his father had anything to do with it.

“We wonder who made this story up. He was very careful while working and never ever caused an accident No one ever blamed him on Ben’s case.

“He was only accused after he die, so he couldn’t defend himself. It’s so unfair for him and my family. There’s no proof and no one believes it.

“I have a child I can understand her pain, my father would never do that, he was an honest man.”

He said the family had received threats after his father was connected with the case.

He said: “The police officer in charge of the investigation in Kos came to me and apologised for all the trouble my family went through.

“I told him he can’t just fix all this damage with an apology. I want to help but they shouldn’t have given out my dead father’s name.”

But Detective Inspector Jon Cousins, the Lead Investigator in Operation Ben, said “During the course of our enquiries, we have managed to close off a large number of theories about what happened to Ben, many of which have been open for more than 20 years and get to the facts as to what happened that day.

“The investigation allowed myself and the team to thoroughly review, analyse and scrutinise each piece of information we were able to gather, and were given access to.

“Based on those facts and the information I have to date, it is still my professional belief that Ben died as a result of a tragic incident at the farmhouse involving heavy machinery.

“The fact that we did not have a direct result during the most recent visit to Kos, does not preclude the facts that we know to be true.

“Primacy for the investigation lies with the Greek authorities and South Yorkshire Police remain committed to assisting them in any ongoing enquiries they may have.”

Ben’s sister, Leighanna, said the family had ‘no closure’ without physical evidence of Ben’s whereabouts.

She backed South Yorkshire Police’s theory but said she had sympathy for the digger driver’s family too.

[​IMG]

noZme, MissyMoo, spike and 3 others like this.
  11. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

This is so sad. This family needs resolve, but I wonder if anyone knows what happened to him at this point?

12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I do think there are people on the island of Kos who do know what happened to Ben.

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...orithm-shows-police-may-have-got-image-older/
    New face-ageing algorithm shows how police may have got image of older Ben Needham wrong

New face-ageing algorithm shows how police may have got image of older Ben Needham wrong. Artists’ impressions of what missing people such as Madeleine McCann and Ben Needham look like years after they vanished may be completely unreliable, a new study suggests.

Researchers at the University of Bradford have developed a method of ageing facial images which they say could enhance the search for people across the world. The technique involved taking careful measurements from photographs of 500 people when they were aged 21 months, six years old, 14 and 22.

They then used the results to create an algorithm which accurately predicts how a face changes over time. However when they tested the programme on a photograph of missing youngster Ben Needham, they found it bore no resemblance to artists' impressions of his older self.

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

15. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

I would love to see this technology applied to now know identified persons.

16. Ladyslug

Ladyslug Bronze Member

Yeah that would show how accurate it is

Akoya and spike like this.
  17. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

Maybe they have the test subjects on a website to view. I will check later.

18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

A 6.5 earthquake hit the island of Kos tonight.

Scorpio likes this.
  19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

M 6.7 Earthquake
    10km SSE of Bodrum, Turkey

An earthquake with magnitude 6.7 occurred 10km SSE of Bodrum, Turkey at 22:31:12.05 UTC on Jul 20, 2017 ...
    What to do after an earthquake

Expect aftershocks hours, days, or weeks after the main quake. Aftershocks can cause building damage and falling debris that could injure you.

10 mins ago · Sources: U.S. Geological Survey, ready.gov

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/20/large-earthquake-reported-turkish-coast-greek-island-kos/

Earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey: At least two dead and 100 injured as tremor hits holiday resorts

[​IMG]

People walk near a damaged building after an strong earthquake on the Greek island of KosCREDIT: AP

21 JULY 2017 • 4:50AM
    • Quake hits near Greek island of Kos
    • Turkish tourist spots also rattled
    • At least two killed and 100 injured
    • Tourist towns hit by flooding
    • British holidaymakers left shaken in hotels

At least two people have been killed and more than 100 injured after a powerful earthquake shook the Turkish coast and the Greek Islands in an area popular with British tourists.

The quake, which exceeded magnitude 6, struck 6 miles south of Bodrum, in the south west of Turkey, and and 10 miles east-northeast of Kos.

Moment people flee earthquake in Turkey which has triggered tsunami pic.twitter.com/J9LCxJ9Idw

— NEWS UP (@NUNTIO_NEWS) July 21, 2017
    The small Greek island appeared to take the brunt of the damage, with two people killed. Rising sea levels flooded parts of the tourist strip, and large chunks of rubble elsewhere. A small fishing boat was left washed up on a road.

"The rest of the island has no problem. It's only the main town that has a problem," Kos Mayor George Kyritsis told state-run Greek media.

"The buildings affected were mostly old, and were built before the earthquake building codes were introduced."

Rescuers were checking for trapped people inside houses after the quake struck in the middle of the night. Kyritsis said the army was mobilised along with emergency services. The island's port was among structures that sustained damaged.

Giorgos Halkidios, Kos regional government official, said the number of injured was more than 100. "Two or three of them are in serious condition and are in surgery," he said.

Video Added from #Bodrum#Tsunami #Earthquake pic.twitter.com/3bR5tHnieg

— Global News (@GlobalZarfati) July 20, 2017
    As yet there are no indication of British casualties.

"We are speaking to the Turkish and Greek authorities following an earthquake off the coast of Bodrum and near the island of Kos. Any British people in the areas affected should follow the instructions of local authorities," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

The temblor, which was initially reported as a magnitude 6.9 and was felt across the Aegean coast, was very shallow, only 6.2 miles below the seabed, the US Geological Survey said. Turkish and Greek authorities put its magnitude lower at 6.3 and 6.4.

In the Turkish city of Marmaris beachfront hotels were flooded. Elsewhere holidaymakers cowered for shelter and in some resorts they abandoned their rooms for safety, gathering in the street.

Two strong aftershocks followed. Hotel guests briefly went back to their rooms to collect their belongings.

But they opted to spend the night in the open air, using sheets and cushions borrowed from nearby lounge chairs to build makeshift beds,

Such was the force of the earthquake its impact was felt as far away as Rhodes and Crete.

"Felt it here (in Rhodes) too. Pretty strong. Looked out the window to see the waves in the pool," Daniel Markham, a councillor on Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council in Kent, tweeted.

British Tourists turned to social media to describe hotels shaking when the quake struck.

One Twitter user wrote "Earthquake is Kos, absolute mental, never felt anything like it."

Kevin McNaughton, a former Premier League footballer who is in Turkey on holiday, wrote: "Room shaking all over the place. Just stood outside not sure what to do."

Watch “Tsunami Hits Bodrum, Turkey After 6.7 Earthquake and Causes Widespread Damage” on… https://t.co/ssCW1ZxomL https://t.co/CwADnLqUq1

— ddnnewswordpress (@wadejohns33) July 21, 2017
    Chris Hackland, a diving instructor on Kos, told Sky News: "We jumped out of bed and attempted to make it out of the apartment. There were pots and pans being thrown around the kitchen. The light was swinging. It was difficult to walk, it was a scary moment."

Kristian Stevens, from Nelson in Lancashire, said he felt the building he was in "shake like a jelly".

The 48-year-old told the Press Association he had just gone to bed when the quake struck at around 1.30am local time.

He said: "It was quite surreal as I had just laid down in bed and the whole building shook. The whole building shook like a jelly.

"Many of the locals rushed out into the streets still in underwear.

"Some have been seen with blankets and pillows not sure if it is safe to return home."

Sophie Wild said she ran from her third floor accommodation when she woke to a loud banging noise.

The 21-year-old from Canterbury in Kent is coming to the end of her holiday in Altinkum, around 500 miles away from Bodrum.

She said: "We were asleep and were awoken by what sounded like banging on our door, it got louder and louder and the building started shaking. We jumped up ran to the balcony to see what it was (my first thought when we heard the banging was that we were being attacked).

"When we realised it was an earthquake, we got an immediate sense to get out, we thought the building was going to crumble around us. We ran down our stairs."

Naomi Ruddock, who is on holiday in Kos with her mother Eleanor, said she felt like she was on a boat in choppy water when the earthquake hit.

The 22-year-old, who is due to graduate from Brighton University next week, said they were woken from their sleep when the room shook.

Scorpio likes this.
  21. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

continued

[​IMG]
    Damaged buildings are seen after an earthquake on the Greek island of Kos early Friday CREDIT: AP

She said: "We were asleep and we just felt the room shaking. The room moved. Literally everything was moving. And it kind of felt like you were on a boat and it was swaying really fast from side to side, you felt seasick."

The pair ran from their ground floor room in the Akti Palace Hotel in Kardamena, around a 30 minute drive from Kos Town which is thought to have been worst hit.

Ms Ruddock, from London, added: "The restaurant manager just said that he's never seen anything like this ever happen ever around this area or ever in Greece. He said it was like something out of a film, and it was."

They have been experienced aftershocks every 20 minutes since the earthquake, she said.

[​IMG]
    People try to move the cars from a flooded coastal road after an earthquake on the Greek island of Kos CREDIT: AP
    The region is prone to quakes, but the impact may have been dampened by the sea. There was also a report of a small tsunami from the European quake agency EMSC .

However Turkish officials said large waves were more likely than a tsunami.

"A small tsunami is confirmed. AVOID BEACHES IN THE AREA, but you are safe on higher grounds," EMSC said on Twitter.

A small tsunami is confirmed. AVOID BEACHES IN THE AREA, but you are safe on higher grounds

— EMSC (@LastQuake) July 20, 2017
    Esengul Civelek, the governor of Mugla in n southwestern Turkey, said initial reports showed there were no major damages and disruptions. She said a small number of people had suffered minor injuries.

Earthquake of 6.3 magnitude hits west of Turkey and the tsunami was felt, many hotels are flooded: https://t.co/ZUtq0BRcL4 pic.twitter.com/OY3TT1bPX8

— Washington Hattı (@WasHatti) July 20, 2017
    Mugla Mayor Osman Gurun said power outages affected certain parts of the province and that telephone operators experienced shortages due to overloads. Bodrum Mayor Mehmet Kocadon said the earthquake had caused minor cracks on some old buildings.

According to Turkish disaster officials, more than 20 aftershocks had been recorded.

[​IMG]

Damage and flooding are seen on a coastal road following a strong earthquake on the Greek island of Kos CREDIT: AP

[​IMG]

Damage caused by a quake in Kos, Greece CREDIT: REUTERS

Scorpio likes this.
  22. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://abcnews.go.com/International...thquake-rattles-turkey-greek-islands-48761303

Quake damages buildings on Greek island; 2 killed, 120 hurt
    • By DEREK GATOPOULOS, ASSOCIATED PRESS
    ATHENS, Greece — Jul 20, 2017, 11:47 PM ET
    [​IMG]
    A man lies on the ground as other tourists stand outside a bar after an earthquake on the Greek island of Kos early Friday, July 21, 2017. A powerful earthquake struck

A powerful earthquake shook the Greek resort island of Kos early Friday morning, damaging older and historic buildings and the main port, killing at least two people and causing more than 120 injuries, authorities said.

The 6.5-magnitude quake rattled other islands and Turkey's Aegean coast as well, but Kos was nearest to the epicenter and appeared to be the worst-hit, with all of the deaths and injuries reported there.

A wall collapsed on a building dating to the 1930s and it crushed people who were at the bar in the building's lower level, according to Kos Mayor Giorgos Kyritsis. "There are not many old buildings left on Kos. Nearly all the structures on the island have been built under the new codes to withstand earthquakes," the mayor said.

Kos's "old town" area, full of bars and other nighttime entertainment, was littered with fallen bricks and other debris. The island's hotels had broken glass and other damage, leaving hundreds of tourists to spend the rest of the night outdoors, resting on beach loungers with blankets provided by staff.

"The instant reaction was to get ourselves out of the room," said Christopher Hackland of Edinburgh, Scotland, who is a scuba instructor on Kos. "There was banging. There was shaking. The light was swinging, banging on the ceiling, crockery falling out of the cupboards, and pans ...

"There was a lot of screaming and crying and hysterics coming from the hotel," he said, referring to the hotel next to his apartment building. "It felt like being at a theme park with one of the illusions, an optical illusion where you feel like you're upside down."

Other buildings damaged included an old mosque where a minaret collapsed and a 14th-century fortress at the entrance to the main port. Coastal roads were flooded. Minor damage — cracks in buildings, smashed windows and trashed shops — appeared widespread.

Rescuers were checking for trapped people inside houses after the quake struck in the middle of the night and were heading to outlying villages to check for damage. Ferry service was canceled until daylight because Kos's main port was damaged.

Giorgos Halkidios, Kos regional government official, said the injured included people who were underneath a building that collapsed.

Greek officials said the quake was 6.5-magnitude and the numerous aftershocks were weaker but still could put at risk the buildings that were already damaged. The epicenter was 6 miles (10 kilometers) south of Bodrum, Turkey, and 10 miles (16 kilometers) east-northeast of Kos with a depth of 6 miles (10 kilometers).

In Turkey, the ensuing panic caused minor injuries, according to Esengul Civelek, governor of Mugla province.

In Bitez, a resort town about 6 kilometers (4 miles) west of Bodrum, the quake sent frightened residents running into the streets.

Hotel guests briefly returned to their rooms to pick up their belongings but chose to spend the rest of the night outside, with some using sheets and cushions borrowed from nearby lounge chairs to build makeshift beds.

Greece and Turkey lie in an especially earthquake-prone zone.

Kimster and Scorpio like this.