1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

OH BILLIE GROFF: Missing from Hubbard, OH - 4 July 1977 - Age 28

Discussion in 'Missing 1900 to 1979' started by Akoya, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Billie was last seen by her husband on July 4, 1977 near Westview Avenue. She was speaking with a friend by telephone the same evening at about 10:00 PM. She abruptly ended the conversation, stating "They are coming up the driveway, I have to go". It is unknown who she meant by "they". Her husband and two children were attending the city's July 4 celebration at the time, and returned at about 11:00 PM. Her husband filed a missing person report two days later. She left all of her belongings and clothing behind.

eta media link: http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...77-in-trumbull-county-ohio.2214/#comment-2266

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
    Scorpio likes this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33479/0/

NamUs MP # 33479
    Billie Groff
    [​IMG]
    Trumbull County, Ohio
    28 year old white female

Case Report - NamUs MP # 33479

Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Billie
    Middle name Lynn
    Last name Groff
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen July 04, 1977 20:00
    Date entered 04/28/2016
    Age last seen 28 to 28 years old
    Age now Unknown DOB
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 61.0
    Weight (pounds) 120.0

Circumstances
    City Hubbard
    State Ohio
    Zip code 44425
    County Trumbull
    Circumstances
    Last seen by her husband on July 4, 1977 near Westview Avenue. She was speaking with a friend by telephone the same evening about 10:00 PM, when she abruptly ended the conversation, stating "They are coming up the driveway, I have to go". It is unknown whom she meant by "they". Her husband and two children were attending the city's July 4 celebration at the time, and returned about 11:00 PM. Her husband filed a missing person report two days later.

She left all of her belongings and clothing behind.

Physical
    Hair color Brown

Left eye color Hazel
    Right eye color Hazel

Clothing and accessories are described below
    Clothing
    White T-Shirt, Blue cut-off jeans
    Footwear
    thong sandals

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Sergeant
    First name Chris
    Last name Moffitt
    Phone (330) 534-8153 ext. 3004
    Website
    Case number 77-20
    Date reported July 06, 1977
    Jurisdiction Local
    Agency Hubbard Police Department
    Address 1 233 School Street
    Address 2
    City Hubbard
    State Ohio
    Zip code 44425

Scorpio likes this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Senior photo from 1966 Farrell (Pennsylvania) High School yearbook. (Taken 11 years prior to her disappearance)

Scorpio and Paradise like this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.nampn.org/cases/groff_billie.html

North American Missing Persons Network
    Billie Lynn Groff

[​IMG]

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

• Missing Since: July 4, 1977 from Hubbard, Trumbull County, Ohio
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Height: 5'1"
    • Weight: 120 lbs.
    • Hair Color: Brown
    • Eye Color: Hazel
    • Race: White
    • Clothing: White T-Shirt, blue cut-off jeans, thong sandals.
    • Case Number: 77-20

Details of Disappearance
    Billie Groff was last seen by her husband on July 4, 1977 near Westview Avenue. She was speaking with a friend by telephone the same evening about 10:00 PM, when she abruptly ended the conversation, stating "They are coming up the driveway, I have to go". It is unknown whom she meant by "they".

Her husband and two children were attending the city's July 4 celebration at the time, and returned about 11:00 PM. Her husband filed a missing person report two days later.

She left all of her belongings and clothing behind.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Hubbard Police Department
    (330) 534-8153 ext. 3004

Source Information
    Namus

Scorpio and Paradise like this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Newspaper article from August 1, 1979 edition of the Hubbard News (Hubbard OH).

Scorpio likes this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Hubbard, Ohio

Scorpio likes this.
  8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Westview Ave, Hubbard, OH 44425

Scorpio likes this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Has it been independently confirmed that her husband and children didn't return until 11? Were they seen at the festivities after that 10:00 time?
    My first reaction to "they are coming up the driveway" would be her referring to her husband and children returning. Or maybe she just saw headlights and assumed it was them coming?

Kimster, Akoya and Scorpio like this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

@Shewho - I had the same thoughts about her husband returning. There is very little information available for Billie Groff, and only a few photos. Newspapers are so defiant with their copyrights, but after a year or two the information disappears forever. We really need more information on some of these women.

Mel70, Kimster, Scorpio and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

That's why we're a bit lenient on the cold cases. If they ask us to take it down, we will, which happened with a blogger one time.

Akoya likes this.
  13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

For certain, take down any of my posts if it is requested.

Kimster likes this.
  14. James A Pitts

James A Pitts New Member

I was only six when this happened. I remember it pretty well. I grew up on the same street as the Friends and knew their children. My mother was very good friends with Mrs. Groff and she told me a few things that I'm not sure I should put out there on this public forum.

15. Kimster

Do you have any information that might be useful in locating Billie?

Akoya likes this.
  16. Kimster

Akoya likes this.
  17. James A Pitts

James A Pitts New Member

Doubtful. I knew the theory of the cult and my mother told me that Billie confided in her that her husband was very abusive to her. The adults in the neighborhood think he murdered her that night after the kids were in bed. He was a much larger person than she was. They brought a psychic in that said she was murdered and buried in the woods at the end of our street. Back then those woods were very thick other than the trails us kids made for our bikes. Mr. Groff drank quite a bit by some acounts. He didn't interact with neighbors in the years that followed. I believe he passed away a while back. Their kids were well adjusted for losing their mother like that.

18. Kimster

The fact it took him two days to file a missing person's report speaks volumes to me. I wonder if they searched the landfill, do you know?

Mel70, Akoya and Paradise like this.
  19. James A Pitts

James A Pitts New Member

I know they dug up the backyard but not sure about any landfill. I will say this..about three miles away there is a small lake. The local crime scene used it to dump bodies. It's literally on the street next to Westview and never busy at night. Name of the lake is McCelvey. That pic of hers on this thread took me back 40 years..unreal. Back then the residents considered Hubbard a great community where nothing bad happened but that street and the street next to it saw a few tragedies.

20. Kimster

There's a small lake near where I grew up and over the years it's seen enough drought that it's been pretty low a time or two. I wonder if this lake has ever been low enough to look around? Sonar would be nice, too, but probably would be near impossible to pick up this old of a case.

Akoya and Paradise like this.