1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Botham Shem Jean, 26, fatally shot by off-duty Dallas police officer who entered wrong apartment

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Uno2Much, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Horrible. :candle:
    I just do not understand this.

Dallas police seek manslaughter warrant against officer who killed neighbor
    Dallas police said the officer called for help and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."
    by Erik Ortiz and Jareen Imam / Sep.07.2018 / 7:21 AM ET / Updated 2:17 PM ET

Dallas police said Friday they are seeking a warrant for manslaughter against one of their own after an off-duty officer entered the wrong apartment in her building and killed a man who was inside.

Police Chief Reneé Hall said a blood sample was drawn at her request to test the officer's drug and alcohol levels and "we are in the process of obtaining a warrant based on the circumstances."

She said at a news conference that the Texas Rangers were launching an independent investigation.

[......]
    Further details surrounding the death of Botham Shem Jean, a 26-year-old native of the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, were not immediately provided. Hall did not say why the officer opened fire and declined to discuss what she may have been doing before she returned home after working a full shift Thursday.

[​IMG]
    Botham Shem Jean​

The incident began just before 10 p.m. CT (11 p.m. ET) at the South Side Flats, an upscale apartment complex directly south of Dallas' downtown.

During the encounter, the officer was in full uniform and "fired her weapon striking the victim," police said.

Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dallas-officer-enters-apartment-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Kimster like this.
  2. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Dallas cop fatally shoots neighbor in apartment she mistakes for her own, police say

[​IMG]
    Botham Shem Jean​

The officer, who hasn't been named, will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. She was not injured in the shooting. The police department and the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office will be conducting a joint investigation.

Harding University, a private university in Searcy, Arkansas, said Jean was a native of the Caribbean country St. Lucia and often led worship services at the school's campus. He graduated from the school in 2016. Since then, he's been working in risk assurance for accounting and consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas, the school said.

Jean's mother, Allie, questioned how the deadly mix up occurred.

"Somebody has to be crazy not to realize that they walked into the wrong apartment," Allie Jean told NBC News. "He's a bachelor. Things are different inside."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/0...fter-mistaking-it-for-her-own-police-say.html

3. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Officer who walked into wrong apartment and killed man faces arrest: Authorities
    By MORGAN WINSOR
    Sep 7, 2018, 4:57 PM ET

An arrest warrant will soon be issued for a Dallas police officer who shot and killed a man upon returning home from her shift and entering an apartment she apparently thought was her own, police said Friday.

Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall announced at a press conference that authorities are in the process of obtaining a warrant for the officer involved, who has not yet been identified.

[.....]
    The victim was identified as Botham Jean, who was 26 years old.
    [.....]
    The officer called 911 for help, and the responding officers administered aid to Jean at the scene. He was then taken to a local hospital, where he later died, the police chief said.

[​IMG]
    Botham Jean speaks at Harding University, March 24, 2014.​

[​IMG]
    Botham Jean is seen leading worship at a university presidential reception in Dallas, Sept. 21, 2017.​

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/US/officer-f...g-wrong-apartment-believing/story?id=57667361

Kimster likes this.
  4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

This breaks my heart on all levels. :vigil: Botham sounds like someone I would have loved to have met!

5. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

September 12, 2018, 12:06 PM
    Criminal defense lawyers question crime in case of Dallas officer who killed neighbor

<snip>

According to an arrest warrant, Guyger said she went to what she thought was her own apartment. She said the door was "ajar" and she saw a "large silhouette" inside. After giving "verbal commands that were ignored," she fired her gun, hitting Jean.
    [......]
    Meanwhile, an attorney for Jean's family said two witnesses told them details that contradict Guyger's claims.

"They heard knocking down the hallway followed by a woman's voice that they believe to be officer Guyger saying, 'Let me in. Let me in,'" attorney Lee Merritt said.

Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/botham-jean-shooting-dallas-police-officer-amber-guyger-criminal-defense-lawyers-views/

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.
  6. Kimster

Has anyone seen a picture of the front of the apartment doors? I don't understand how the officer thought it was hers?

Uno2Much likes this.
  7. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

8. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

New Search Warrant Shows Investigators to Analyze Gunshot Residue, Doors in Botham Jean's Murder Case

New search warrants returned Friday show that law enforcement authorities have focused part of their attention on the locks to the doors of both Botham Jean and the Dallas police officer who shot him, Amber Guyger.

Investigators with Dallas County released the document about 24 hours after a Dallas Police Department search affidavit publicly detailed property seized from the apartment of Botham Jean, the 26-year-old man fatally shot by Dallas officer Amber Guyger.

The searches, conducted by the Texas Rangers on Tuesday and Wednesday, also concentrated on the contents of surveillance cameras placed throughout the apartment complex, presumably to track the movements of Guyger, and access logs to the South Side Flats apartment complex.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/N...rs-in-Botham-Jeans-Murder-Case-493339131.html

Copy of warrant at link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this video prove Amber Guyger lied about Botham Jean’s door?
    MO BARNES

9. Kimster

That was very enlightening, thank you! Have they released who she was talking to on the phone when she was walking down the hall? Was she agitated and not paying attention to where she was at? I just don't understand why she would blatantly shoot him unless something happened between them. But I can't imagine what could have happened between them?

Uno2Much likes this.
  10. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

No, they haven't released who AG was talking to on the phone besides 911.
    Although her apartment was on the 3rd floor, directly below Jean's apartment, she parked on the 4th floor of the parking garage that night. According to his next door neighbors, AG was knocking on his door and yelling, "let me in!"
    I don't know if she purposely went to his apartment because the family's lawyer is suggesting that AG had lodged noise complaints against him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Female officer who shot, killed black neighbor may have made noise complaints about him on the day of shooting: Lawyer

Although authorities have made few connections between Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, who shot an unarmed black man, Bonham Jean, inside his own apartment on September 6, an attorney representing the victim’s family indicated that the suspect may have made a noise complaint against the victim on the day he died.

While speaking to CNN, lawyer S. Lee Merritt claimed that the he has no theory as to why the tragedy happened. However, he stated noise complaints may have played a part. Gugyer, 30, who walked into 26-year-old Jean’s apartment on September 6 at the South Side Flats apartment complex in Dallas, claimed that she mistakenly went to the wrong apartment and opened fire after she thought a burglary was in progress. Jean was killed in his own apartment.

“There were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there was a noise complaint that very day about upstairs activity in Botham’s apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor,” Merritt told CNN.

Read more: http://www.crimeonline.com/2018/09/13/female-officer-who-shot-killed-black-neighbor-may-have-made-noise-complaints-about-him-on-the-day-of-shooting-lawyer/

Kimster likes this.
  11. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

The first 2 narratives are what AG reported to the Dallas Police Dept. and the Texas Rangers. Both versions conflict with neighbors' statements.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exclusive: Lawyer for Botham Shem Jean’s family dissects cop’s conflicting tale

MO BARNES

There are three main narratives that are coming out regarding what happened the night of the shooting. They are as follows:

Narrative #1:

Guyger went to Jean’s door and tried her key, but it wouldn’t fit. She placed her bags on the ground and attempted to open the door again. That’s when Jean opened the door surprising her, and she shot him.

Narrative #2:

Guyger took her key out to open the door, noticed it was ajar and entered the dark apartment. She saw Jean inside, issued verbal commands, and when he did not comply, she was forced to shoot him.

Narrative #3:

Witnesses stated they heard a banging and then a female voice yell, “Let me in! Let me in!” The yelling was followed by a single gunshot. Then a witness heard a male voice state, “Oh my God. Why did you do that?”

https://rollingout.com/2018/09/12/exclusive-lawyer-for-botham-shem-jeans-family-dissects-cops-conflicting-tale/

Kimster likes this.
  12. Kimster

All of these accounts are interesting. I want to know exactly where he was shot. Was he at the door? Did he answer the door? Because once she's inside, she's going to know that's not her stuff.

Uno2Much likes this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

One of my roommates during college walked into the wrong apartment once. We lived on the third floor. She wasn't paying attention and walked into the second floor apartment.
    Funnily enough, she was able to figure it out within seconds and didn't try to attack our neighbors.

Uno2Much and Kimster like this.
  14. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

:good:How utterly logical of her!

I think my first thought if I opened a door that I thought led to my home and saw an unfamiliar person inside, or an unfamiliar person answered the door when I knocked, would be that I had made a mistake. :blush:

A few months ago, I was meeting some family members at a hotel where we were spending the weekend. They had made the reservations and gave me the room number. When I arrived, I went directly to the room, but an unfamiliar man opened the door when I knocked. Immediately, I said, "I'm sorry, I have the wrong room." I didn't start beating the man with my cane, demanding to know what he'd done with my family! I called my family from the hallway and it turned out we had been switched to a different room when they checked in. Good thing I didn't jump to conclusions and beat an innocent man to death! :facepalm:

Kimster and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  15. Kimster

Exactly! And she was a trained law enforcement officer? I mean, come on.

16. Howell

Howell Member

I don't want to jump to conclusions, there's still a lot we don't know, but I'm not buying for a moment that this was any sort of "accident" or misunderstanding. Not if Guyger was sober, at least. It sure sounds likes Jean was targeted deliberately. I don't know if it was over the noise complaints or something more personal, but "Oops, wrong apartment!" does not explain what took place here.