1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com


Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Kimster, Apr 14, 2015.

  1. kdg411

    kdg411 Resource Mod

    Judge Says No Criminal Case at This Time Against NYC Dad Accused in Twins' Hot Car Deaths: Bronx District Attorney's Office

    A judge ruled there is no criminal case at this time against the New York City father accused of leaving his 1-year-old twins in a hot car for eight hours last week, killing both of them, a spokeswoman for the Bronx district attorney's office said Thursday.

    The spokeswoman said District Attorney Darcel Clark decided not to put the case before a grand jury yet, citing the need for further investigation. That means the criminal case against Juan Rodriguez is still active, but the prosecution is paused. It's the latest stunning twist in the heartbreaking case, which defense attorneys have described as a horrific tragedy that was simply an accident.
    Skitt, Paradise, fran and 1 other person like this.
  2. kdg411

    kdg411 Resource Mod

    Man with gun found wedged between walls at high school, Wise County sheriff says

    A witness called 911 about 4 p.m. to report a man carrying a rifle and walking across the Paradise High School campus, Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said in a news release.

    State troopers arrived within five minutes, but the man had disappeared.

    Later, the man, identified as 59-year-old Elvin Ray Fox, was found wedged between two concrete block walls, Akin said. Officers used power tools to extricate him.

    Fox, who lives nearby, was taken into custody on a mental health detention order.

  3. Cousin Dupree

    Cousin Dupree Platinum Member


    Kali Watkins, ex-Webster coach accused of raping teen, has alibi, lawyer says
    Gary Craig, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Published 11:44 a.m. ET Aug. 12, 2019 | Updated 6:30 p.m. ET Aug. 12, 2019

    Kali Watkins, the former Webster high school coach accused of raping a teenager, has alibis for most of the possible dates of the alleged crime, his attorney said in court Monday.

    State Supreme Court Justice Judith Sinclair on Monday agreed to allow witnesses to testify to provide possible alibis. Jury selection for the trial continues Tuesday.

    Almost seven months after the criminal charges, prosecutors last week narrowed the dates of the alleged rape to four days. In the January indictment, Watkins was accused of the rape between Dec. 1, 2016, and Jan. 31, 2017, with no more specificity than that.

    He is accused of a single act of rape....
  4. kdg411

    kdg411 Resource Mod

  5. Cousin Dupree

    Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

    Takeitfromme, Kimster, Skitt and 3 others like this.
  6. fran

    fran Administrator Staff Member

    Feds crack Medicare gene test fraud that peddled cheek swabs

    WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal agents took down an alleged Medicare fraud scheme Friday that exploited seniors' curiosity about genetic medicine by enticing them to get their cheeks swabbed for unneeded DNA tests. Medicare was billed about $2 billion.

    Dubbed "Operation Double Helix," the crackdown targeted telemarketing companies, doctors and labs, in a joint effort by the FBI, U.S. attorneys' offices, and the Health and Human Services inspector general. More than 30 people were charged around the country.

    The alleged scam flourished at a time when many people are getting DNA tests to trace back their family heritage.

    Fraudsters preyed on people's fears of harboring genetic markers for diseases such as cancer. However, genetic testing is not routinely used to screen for cancer.

    "A decade ago, it would have given Medicare beneficiaries pause if someone wanted to get a swab from their cheek of their saliva," said Shimon Richmond, who heads the inspector general's investigative division . "Today people know and recognize what (genetic testing) is, and they think 'I can get that done, and I can get it done for free and find out if I have health issues that I need to address.'"

    It's a bad decision, said Richmond. Not only does it put the patient's Medicare ID in the hands of fraudsters who can then keep reselling it for illicit purposes, but it can potentially compromise unique details of an individual's make-up.

    Another downside: Medicare might deny future coverage for genetic testing when it's really needed, since the patient's record would show such an analysis was already done. Patients should only have genetic testing if their own doctor orders it, officials said.

    The alleged scam worked like this: Officials said a telemarketing or in-person "recruiter" would convince a Medicare enrollee to take a genetic test, assuring them that the program would pay the full cost. The patient would provide their Medicare information. A doctor in league with the fraudsters would approve the test, and collect a kickback from the recruiter company. A lab participating in the scheme would run the test, bill Medicare, and share payments collected from the government with the recruiter.

    Bills to Medicare connected with the scheme typically ranged from $7,000 to $12,000, Richmond said, with some much higher. In many cases the patient never got a report back, or the results provided were incomprehensible. Medicare paid out hundreds of millions of dollars before authorities detected the fraud and moved in.

  7. fran

    fran Administrator Staff Member

    Incredible moments. This happened on May 17 in Oregon.

  8. fran

    fran Administrator Staff Member

    SC man’s suicide note states bodies of mother, aunt found in home had been there since 2015

    A death investigation is underway at a home on Griggs Road in Clover, South Carolina, according to the York County Sheriff’s Office (YCSO). (Sky3 | WBTV)

    CLOVER, S.C. (WBTV) - Months after three people were found dead in a South Carolina home on July 31, autopsy reports and a suicide letter have been released.

    Officials say they were conducting a wellness check at the home on Griggs Road in Clover when they discovered three people - a man and two women - dead.

    The York County Coroner’s Office identified the man as 45-year-old Thomas Gardner. The coroner said Thomas Gardner died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

    Mr. Gardner left a letter identifying the two women found in the home as his mother, 69-year-old Susan Gardner, and her sister, 77-year-old Ruth Allred.

    He indicated in said letter that his mother, Susan, had died back in November of 2015 and her sister, Ruth, had died about six months later. The coroner’s office confirms that the condition of the remains were consistent with the time frame given by Mr. Gardner.

    Mr. Gardner further stated that he was afraid he would be blamed for his mother’s and aunt’s death - that is why he did not contact authorities.

    After the completed autopsies, it was determined that Ruth Allred’s cause of death is probable atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease - or a natural death.

    kdg411, Cousin Dupree and Paradise like this.
  9. fran

    fran Administrator Staff Member

    American tourist deaths in Dominican Republic not due to tainted alcohol, FBI says
    The State department said the FBI ruled out methanol poisoning from alcohol for the deaths.

    Updated: 12:05 PM CDT October 19, 2019

    The Federal Bureau of Investigation has determined that the cause of several American tourists' deaths while vacationing in the Dominican Republic was not due to poisoned alcohol.

    The FBI assisted with toxicology exams for three of the at least nine tourists that died in the Dominican Republic. Miranda Schaup-Werner, a 41-year-old Pennsylvania resident died in May at the Grand Bahia Principe in La Romana. A couple from Maryland, 63-year-old Nathanial Holmes and 49-year-old Cynthia Day also died there.

    The spate of deaths alarmed many Americans, who wondered if they should avoid vacationing in the country.

    "Our condolences and sympathy go out to the families during this difficult time," the State Department official said in a statement to CNN and The New York Times.

    The State department said the FBI ruled out methanol poisoning from alcohol for the deaths.The results are consistent with the autopsies performed by officials from the Dominican Republic earlier this year.

    "With some 3.2 million U.S. tourists visiting the Dominican Republic last year, it's not unusual for eight people to die while on vacation over any six-month period, "tourism Minister Francisco Javier García told reporters in June.

    "What some media are describing as an avalanche of deaths doesn't correspond to the reality that we're living today in the Dominican Republic," García said.

    Holmes and Day's family's lawyer, Steven E. Bullock told the New York times that the FBI results still needed further review.

    “You had a couple that died of the same ailment at the same time, and they want to say that it’s natural causes,” Mr. Bullock said with a scoff. “I think there’s something for us to continue to look into.”

    spike, noZme, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  10. Cousin Dupree

    Cousin Dupree Platinum Member


    'She stole their lives': Woman convicted of passing school bus, killing 3 kids in crash
    Crystal Hill, Indianapolis Star Published 11:31 a.m. ET Oct. 19, 2019 | Updated 2:03 p.m. ET Oct. 19, 2019

    FULTON COUNTY, Ind.Nearly a year after Alyssa Shepherd drove past a stopped school bus, killing three siblings as they crossed a two-lane highway to board the bus, a Fulton County jury convicted her of reckless homicide in the children's deaths.

    Shepherd, prosecutors say, was driving a pickup truck that struck and killed twins Xzavier and Mason Ingle, both 6, and their sister Alivia Stahl, 9, and also critically injured Maverik Lowe, 11, as they crossed the highway north of Rochester on Oct. 30. Lowe, who's still recovering from his injuries, has had more than 20 surgeries since the crash.

    Shepherd was found guilty Friday of three felony counts of reckless homicide. The jury also found her guilty of a felony count of criminal recklessness and a misdemeanor count of passing a school bus causing injury when the arm is extended. She faces up to 21 years if given the maximum amount on each count.

    The parents of Mason and Xzavier, Shane and Brittany Ingle, and Michael Stahl, Brittany's ex-husband and Alivia's dad, told reporters after the verdict that they were relieved, and have no sympathy for Shepherd, who they believe has shown no remorse for the crash.

    "I don't think we'll ever feel closure," Brittany Ingle said. "But this will go toward healing."...
    spike, Paradise, kdg411 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Skitt

    Skitt Bronze Member

    Shared from another CW member. I don’t know if we have a thread where this fits best, so linked it here.

    Nine missing children and teens found in "The Big Search"


    Saturday was the final day of "The Big Search KC", where volunteers helped look for missing children and teens in the Kansas City area. They accomplished a lot in three days, with nine of the 32 missing kids and teens now located. KMBC 9 talked to volunteers about how they're helping bring people home.
    spike, Steve, Paradise and 3 others like this.
  12. fran

    fran Administrator Staff Member

    Missouri man accused of murdering 2 Wisconsin brothers, burning their bodies in barrels


    BRAYMER, Mo. -- A Missouri man is facing murder charges in connection with the disappearance of two Wisconsin brothers.

    Garland Nelson, 25, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of Nicholas Diemel, 34, and Justin Diemel, 24, according to court records. The Braymer man was also charged with two counts of abandonment of a corpse, two counts of tampering with physical evidence, two counts of armed criminal action, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

    Nelson was arrested in July, shortly after the brothers’ disappearance, on one count of tampering with a motor vehicle. He was been jailed without bond on the tampering charge since late July.

    On July 21, the two brothers drove to Nelson’s farm in the 3300 block of Southeast Catawba Road in Braymer, where Nelson operated his cattle business known as J4S Farms, according to an affidavit of probable cause. Around 11:45 a.m., more than two hours after the brothers arrived at the farm, Nelson said he drove their rental vehicle to Holt, where he left the car with the keys in the ignition at a commuter parking lot.

    After abandoning the vehicle in Holt and disposing of the brothers’ cellphones along a roadway, Nelson said “he used a series of different persons who provided him transportation” and was dropped off back at his farm, according to charging documents.

    Nelson told authorities that when he returned to the farm, he saw two bodies whom he believed to be Nicholas and Justin Diemel, both dead inside of two 55-gallon metal barrels in a barn south of the residence. Nelson allegedly used a skid loader to move the barrels to an adjacent pasture, where the bodies were burned using an unknown liquid and diesel fuel, according to documents.

    Nelson said he then placed the bodies in a manure pile and used the skid loader to crush the barrels and dispose of them on the property, according to documents. He allegedly used a shovel to remove blood from the floor where they were killed.

    The burnt human remains that were found in the manure pile are believed to be the two brothers, based on DNA comparisons. In addition, a blood stain found on Nelson’s clothing was confirmed to be from one of the brothers.

    Nelson also admitted to using a rifle to kill two small animals on July 20, the day before the brothers were reported missing, according to documents. A neighbor reported hearing multiple gunshots on July 21 between 11:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. A fired cartridge was found in Nelson’s clothing, and ammunition was found in his vehicle.

    Throughout the investigation, Nelson “gave many misleading explanations and recollections of events in attempts to mislead law enforcement in locating Nicholas and Justin Diemel,” according to documents.

    The two brothers were in Missouri to retrieve a $250,000 check from Nelson for cattle, according to records. Ten days after they went missing, authorities said that human remains were found at the Braymer farm, but they had not been identified as the brothers until Wednesday.

    Nelson was previously convicted of cattle fraud and sentenced in 2016 to two years in prison.

    Caldwell County Sheriff Jerry Galloway announced the new charges against Nelson at a Wednesday morning news conference. Galloway did not answer any additional questions, including whether anyone else would face charges in connection with the brothers' deaths.

    Skitt, kdg411 and spike like this.
  13. Cousin Dupree

    Cousin Dupree Platinum Member


    Maine student wins court battle over 'rapist in school' note

    In September Aela Mansmann, 15, was accused of bullying by school officials in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, after she posted notes in the girl's toilets.

    But on Thursday a judge issued a temporary stay on the suspension citing concerns over free-speech rights.

    A lawsuit filed by the girl's family against the school is still pending.

    The case began on 16 September after Aela posted notes in two bathrooms at Cape Elizabeth High School reading: "There's a rapist in the school and you know who it is."...
    Skitt and kdg411 like this.
  14. Imamazed

    Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

    Woman drives motorhome into casino after she's kicked out
    Police say a woman who was angered when she was kicked out of a Las Vegas-area casino intentionally drove her motorhome into the building, injuring a custodian.

    North Las Vegas Police spokesman Eric Leavitt says the 50-year-old woman was ejected from the Cannery Casino Friday morning and drove her Winnebago motorhome into the building.

    Leavitt says the woman hit a 66-year-old custodial worker who was outside the building. The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the worker was critically injured but is expected to survive.
  15. fran

    fran Administrator Staff Member

    Florida sheriff calls woman's domestic abuse murder worst he's ever seen, calls for laws to change

    As the tight-knit community of Osceola County, Florida mourns last week’s brutal murder of Nicole Montalvo, Sheriff Russ Gibson is left wondering if and how the justice system failed the young mother and longtime victim of domestic violence.

    The state of the body, he said, is in one of the worst conditions he has ever seen and the cause of death is still yet to be determined.

    “I’m so angry what these people have done to this sweet woman, at a time in her life when she felt as though she had finally broken free (from the relationship) and was so happy to have made her first month’s rent,” Gibson told Fox News in an exclusive interview on the case. “Many times, victims of domestic violence don’t know how to break free, but she was out there on her own getting it done. Now she is dead.”

    Nicole Montalvo with her son Elijah, before her brutal murder in Florida last week (Osceola County Police Department)

    The 33-year-old, a smiling employee at Broadway Pizza Bar in downtown Kissimmee, was reported missing last Wednesday after having dropped their 8-year-old son Elijah off at school in St. Cloud on Monday, and not returning to collect him. Investigators discovered human remains at a property belonging to Montalvo’s in-laws on Friday; authorities confirmed the identity of the remains as Montalvo two days later.

    Montalvo’s estranged husband and the father of their son, Christopher Otero-Rivera, 31, and his father Angel Luis Rivera, 63, were arrested that same day on unrelated charges. After the grim confirmation on Sunday, the men were charged with premeditated murder and are currently being held at the Osceola County Jail without bond.

    According to Gibson, the remains – which are still being examined by the coroner – were "disassembled", and the situation so far marks the worst he has seen in his 32 years as a homicide detective and sheriff.

    “When this autopsy is done, people are going to be horrified,” he continued, noting that autopsy results are expected next week.

    But this was hardly the first allegedly savage encounter Montalvo had faced at the hands of Otero-Rivera, with whom she had filed for divorce. According to court filings, Montalvo sought the help of law enforcement on numerous occasions, and incidences of violence had escalated over several years.

    She is said to have first filed for a restraining order in June 2016, alleging that her husband attacked their son, who was 5 years old at the time.

    Photos of Montalvo sporting bruises and a neck brace were also included in court petitions, according to the Orlando Sentinel. The paper also reported that Montalvo had indicated in filings that Otero-Rivera had previously been involuntarily committed to hospital under the state’s Baker’s Act, which allows a 72-hold for those believed to be a danger to themselves or others.

    Yet the worst incident came in October 2018. Montalvo told law enforcement that Otero-Rivera texted her about an urgent breakdown with his truck and that he needed a ride. However, he then led her to a barren area where another car with an awaiting female – identified as Toni Rocker and known to Montalvo – pulled up.

    Montalvo was subsequently dragged from her vehicle and thrown to the ground. After her husband purportedly stuffed a cloth in her mouth and attempted to break her neck, Rocker was accused of holding a knife to her throat and threatening to kill her if she told anyone about the attack.

    The pair were arrested.

    Rocker, 31, went to trial on charges of kidnapping, robbery, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon but was acquitted by a jury in April. According to Gibson, she is not a suspect in Montalvo’s murder and has cooperated with investigators.

    Meanwhile, Otero-Rivera pled no contest to hindering a witness’s ability to communicate with law enforcement, unlawful possession of a credit or debit card, and battery. The more serious charges of kidnapping, robbery, and aggravated assault were dropped in the agreement.


    After serving just eight months behind bars, he was released on two years of probation – which included wearing an ankle bracelet for monitoring.

    Moreover, Otero-Rivera was banned from communicating with Montalvo except for in a parenting cellphone application but has since been charged with violating a no-contact order after admitting to calling her. His father, a convicted felon, was initially apprehended Friday on charges of unlawful weapons and ammunition possession.

    “This is a person who already tried to snap Nicole’s neck, and he took this plea deal,” Gibson lamented. “Domestic violence should not be a misdemeanor; they should be a felony. If weapons are used, they can be enhanced to a felony. But anything domestic violence-related should be moved to a felony.”

    The homicide investigation remains ongoing, and could potentially extend to other missing persons, Gibson said. Neither suspects in Montalvo's murder are said to be co-operating with the investigation.

    Gibson and several members of law enforcement joined Montalvo’s family and dozens of mourners at St. Cloud’s Lakefront Park for a candlelight vigil Monday night not only to remember the treasured life of Nicole but to illuminate the deep and dark plight victims of domestic violence walk through day after day.

    “We need our prosecutors to take this case seriously,” Gibson told Fox News. “We will be a voice for the voiceless. We will have justice for Nicole.”

  16. Skitt

    Skitt Bronze Member

    I made a thread for this one ... I hope there isn’t one already that I did not find.

    Paradise, Cousin Dupree, fran and 3 others like this.
  17. Cousin Dupree

    Cousin Dupree Platinum Member


    Connecticut man arrested after families found razors in Halloween candy, police say
    Associated Press Published 3:52 p.m. MT Nov. 1, 2019

    Police in Connecticut have arrested a man after trick-or-treaters reported finding razor blades in their candy bags.

    Waterbury, Connecticut police say 37-year-old Jason Racz faces charges including first-degree reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor.

    Police started investigating Thursday night after children reported finding razor blades in their candy containers.

    Chief Fernando Spagnola says no blades were founded embedded in the candy. He said no injuries were reported as a result of the razor blades.

    Watch: 8 best dressed dogs of Halloween

    Photos: Halloween celebrated around the U.S.

    The chief said when officers questioned Racz, he said the blades accidentally spilled into the candy bowl he used to hand out treats.

    Police urged parents to check their children's candy.

    Racz is being held on $250,000 bail pending arraignment Friday.
    Skitt, kdg411, fran and 2 others like this.
  18. kdg411

    kdg411 Resource Mod

    Father’s murder-suicide leaves mother, three children dead, police say

    Police Chief David Nisleit told reporters that the apparent murder-suicide is “difficult for me to even think about” as a father and husband. It’s also part of a devastating larger problem, he said.

    “We know throughout this county, throughout this city, that there’s domestic violence victims every single day,” Nisleit said.

    The father, 31, was pronounced dead on the scene, along with the 29-year-old mother and a 3-year-old boy, Dobbs said. Three children with gunshot wounds, aged 5, 9 and 11, were taken to the hospital, where two of them died.

    Authorities have not identified any of the family members.

    At 6:49 a.m. local time Saturday, dispatch received a 911 call in which arguing could be heard and someone was being asked to leave, according to police. But dispatchers were unable to identify or speak to the caller.

    As officers headed to the scene, they got another emergency call from a relative who lived in the home near the granny flat. The relative said they’d heard arguing, as well as what sounded like the firing of a nail gun, according to Dobbs.

    Peering in a window, officers saw a small child covered in blood, Dobbs said. They forced their way into the residence to discover five more people suffering from apparent gunshot injuries.

    Authorities say they recovered a gun from the scene.
    Skitt, Cousin Dupree and fran like this.
  19. Cousin Dupree

    Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

    kdg411 likes this.

Share This Page