1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

BURGER CHEF MURDERS: 4 Indiana employees abducted & murdered - 1978

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Imamazed, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

State Police now want anyone worked at or frequented the Burger Chef in Plainfield on US 40 and Dan Jones Road in the mid-1970's to share information that may help solve this cold case.

Call Indiana State Police to share tips. The number is 317-899-8508.

2. Glace Entertainment PR

Glace Entertainment PR Glace Entertainment Public Relations

From Toni's Social Media Post Today As She Officially Started Researching:
    "I just got off the phone with the Communications Officer for ISP discussing #BurgerChefMurders. I am very thankful that I will have their cooperation. Allowing access to the case file and photos etc. will be a huge help ✔! There are so many theories and possibilities in this case and so much information that I now see why it has been unsolved. It is also why I am approaching it from a reconstruction aspect. Taking it step-by-step as it happened factually NOT what people have alluded to over the years. I'm looking forward to putting together this labyrinth of a puzzle and getting to know the people that this crime affected. So far across the internet and globe I have received an outpouring of people giving me information and sharing their stories and I'm elated to be part of it. There are many people who choose to investigate crimes from a very "cold" standpoint involving no emotion...I am not one of those people and I'm proud to not be." - Toni Embry

Attached Files:

3. Glace Entertainment PR

Toni's Social Media Poat From Today (day 2 of investigation)

I started victimology profiling the #BurgerChefMurders today. I think that soooo much of this case EARLY ON was a TON of assumption ✔. Victimology is always the hardest part of case review for me. I think it is because it is the part of the case that humanizes the case. It is the part of the case where you see the impact of the crime. Though this is the hard part emotionally, this is the part that fuels the rest of the investigation for me. By humanizing it I see that the victims are human, whereas before they were a case #. Now the drive to investigate is more personal ❤! - Toni Embry - Posted By Social Media Team GlacePR

Attached Files:

Imamazed, Uno2Much and Kimster like this.
  4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Focusing on the victims was the reason I was unable to put an Ann Rule book down.

5. Kimster

That's not too far from you and they were about your age at the time, weren't they?

6. Imamazed

Yes, very close to me, like 10-15 minutes away and I was 21 yrs. old.

7. Glace Entertainment PR

Do you remember what it was like hearing/watching/reading this story unfold? What happened in the community after as far as the way people reacted? We would love your first have knowledge if you do not mind sharing? - Toni ❤

Kimster likes this.
  8. Imamazed

I worked at our family business and was really scared because of no one ever getting caught. Most people I talked to felt it was a robbery, which worried me even more since we were so close to the area. It always disturbed me that these young people were taken from the restaurant and killed elsewhere. It was such along time ago I don't remember a lot just the fear of thinking about them being taken and murdered. I couldn't and still don't understand why they would do that. Why not just take the money?

9. Glace Entertainment PR

Thank you so much for sharing. I too ask the same question "why not just take the money?". And as I research this case more and more and see original investigations etc...the answer is becoming more clear to me. From a profiling stand point the perpetrators wanted money and they had it... an "easy" $500. But if someone recognized you or identified you that is no longer an "easy" $500. It becomes multiple charges/sentencing and possibly connecting you and your group to other crimes in the area that you have committed. I strongly believe that a variable was entered into these perpetrators "plan" that they NEVER counted for which then altered their "plan" out of "necessity" (in their mind). What exactly that variable is really is the root of unwinding this web of a cold case. With 4 victims, there are 4 times the amount of variables that could have contributed. I am getting deeper into talking with surviving people and the case notes and am hoping to find more that leads to a strong variable that altered these victims lives forever. - Toni ❤

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  10. Glace Entertainment PR

Photo Of The Burger Chef Restaurant where the Burger Chef Murders occurred. Photo Taken by Chief Celebrity Publicist Toni Embry For Glace Entertainment Public Relations on 8/24/18 as part of her on-going 40 Year Anniversary Investigation. - Posted By GlacePR Social Media Team

Attached Files:

Imamazed and Uno2Much like this.
  11. Glace Entertainment PR

Have you ever thought about victim profiling the victims in this case? If you have or did, what did you gather? Would love to know ✔. And thank you to everyone participating in this case research. I feel like I have allot of good support and with this one I need it ✔! - Toni ❤

12. Glace Entertainment PR

A post and response from another crime website message board that we thought we would share here to see what everyone here thought? - GlacePR Social Media Department

"Well, I hope you get somewhere with your investigation. I found it bizarre that the police called to the burger chef would have thought that these people who had no connection to one another, would have left all their stuff behind and took off with all that money to have a party.

I think that $500.00 back then would be about $4000.00 today. This would hardly be a petty theft."

Toni's Response - - - >

I agree with you soooo damn much (user name deleted)!! So much of why this crime is unsolved is bc of the way the crime scene was treated and the lack of preservation of it. The police who responded were WAY off calling this "embezzlement". Even if it was initially labelled embezzlement the scene should have still been preserved. $500 was about $4,000 which, like you said, is NOT petty theft. Also, the items left behind by the victims weren't in-sequential items at all. 2 of the items were the female victims purses! Who the hell would go "party" without their ID and purse and leave it behind to be discovered by the company you stole from?!?! Additionally, the employee's statement (Brian Kring) that returned that night to discover the scene and report it to police should have been MORE than enough to substantiate this NOT being embezzlement. He stated that the manager's office was completely disheveled (not normal), the back door was unlocked (not normal), and he even speculated while police were there that the 4 employees were ambushed while taking out the trash. ALL of this should have made this a crime scene and the scene been preserved (prints other evidence gathered). All of this being said, it is unfortunately the case that the scene was not at all preserved. It is what I have found to be 1 of the main reason this case was never solved and remains cold.

When I see an ALARMING reason that something/someone is preventing evidence from being gathered, it immediately raises a red flag to me. It makes me wonder, in this case, was there a local police officer involved with this from the jump?!?! While I continue with the evidence and statements that are available, I am NOT ruling out the fact that responding police officers completely made any subsequent processing/investigation of this crime scene impossible and therefore may very well be connected to it somehow. - Toni

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  13. Glace Entertainment PR

The current lead detective on the Burger Chef murder case has agreed to speak with Toni. She wants to hear any and all questions you may have so that she can compile them and ask them during her interview. She will try to take as many of them as she can and get answers from the detective. The interview is not for another week so please post any of your questions as replies to this post. - GlacePR Social Media Team

Attached Files:

Imamazed, Kimster and Uno2Much like this.
  14. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Has evidence collected from either scene (restaurant and site where the bodies were found) been analyzed in recent for DNA that doesn't match any of the victims' DNA?

Imamazed and spike like this.
  15. Kimster

I'd like to know about any prior disgruntled employees - what those ex-employees' lives have been like since the murders?

Imamazed, Uno2Much and spike like this.
  16. Imamazed

https://www.theindychannel.com/life...ur-burger-chef-employees-kidnapped-and-killed

40 years ago: Four Burger Chef employees kidnapped and killed

On Friday, Nov. 17, 1978, four employees went to work at the Burger Chef on Crawfordsville Road in Speedway, Indiana. It was the last place they would be seen alive.

Sometime after 10 p.m. that night, the restaurant was found empty. There was no cash in the registers. There were no employees inside the restaurant.

The following day, there was still no sign of 20-year-old Jayne Friedt, 17-year-olds Ruth Shelton and Mark Flemmonds or 16-year-old Daniel Davis.

Investigators soon located a car belonging to one of the missing employees.

Jayne Friedt’s white and blue Chevrolet Vega was parked on a street near the Speedway police station, a short drive from Burger Chef. There was no sign of Friedt.

WRTV was there as police combed over the car looking for evidence.

Lt. William Crafton of the Speedway Police Department told Channel 6 reporter Rick Salinger the department was puzzled.

“As far as rhyme or reason, no. We can’t come up with any. No hard leads? No hard leads, that’s right,” said Crafton.

The investigation would take a dramatic turn the following day when a property owner in Johnson County made a gruesome discovery.

The bodies of the four missing Burger Chef employees were found on Sunday, November 19, 1978.

A witness told Channel 6, “They were all face down where we found them in various locations in the wooded area.”

The homicide investigation that began 40 years ago continues today.

More at link...

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.
  17. Imamazed

https://www.wthr.com/article/police-release-evidence-burger-chef-cold-case-murders

Police release evidence in Burger Chef cold case murders

The Burger Chef in Speedway - November 17, 1978.

That's where someone found the restaurant doors open with no one inside. Four young workers had been kidnapped and killed.

It's a crime that still haunts our community.

Forty years later, police hope science and technology will cause a break in this cold case. For the first time, investigators showed us an image of one of the murder weapons.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Bill Dalton took over as lead investigator on this case in February. Cold cases are his specialty and this one, he says, needs to warm.

"Somebody has carried this secret for 40 years," Dalton said. "It's time."

It's easy to keep a secret, if no one talks about it.

That's why Indiana State Police held a news conference marking the 40th year since the killings by restarting the conversation about the Burger Chef murders, about that November night in Speedway when four young people were kidnapped from work and killed.

$500 was missing from the register, the restaurant left empty.

The victims, later discovered off Stones Crossing Road in Johnson County, two shot, one stabbed, another beaten with a chain.

Early on in the investigation back then, investigators shared clay busts that were made of two potential suspects, based on witness descriptions.

The clean-shaven man and the bearded man have never been identified by name. A motive remains unclear, as well.

"Why? I mean why were four kids abducted out of a Burger Chef restaurant, driven to a remote part of Johnson County and murdered?" Dalton said.

Theresa Jefferies was just 12 years old when she lost her big sister, Ruth.

"I got a rude wakeup from by brother, saying, 'Theresa, wake up! Ruth's been kidnapped," Jefferies said. "Then going into the dining room and seeing all the commotion in there and the phone ringing off the hook and the television blaring, the news and the whole world changed."

Four decades later, police have more than 20 binders full of notes, interviews and evidence.

Lots of theories, no arrests.

For the first time Wednesday, state police showed the broken knife blade found at the murder scene.

"That's actually the murder weapon of one of the victims," police said.

The sheath was missing. Investigators hope that gets people talking, triggers a memory into a clue that they can test with new technology.

"This is likely going to be solved through technology and science, but most importantly is human intelligence," said ISP Supt. Doug Carter.

State police investigators plan to re-examine everything from the beginning. It's using facial recognition, machine learning, artificial intelligence and DNA testing to give an old case a fresh look.

More at link...

18. Imamazed

https://www.wishtv.com/news/crime-watch-8/burger-chef-murders-knife/1596513155

Long-bladed knife may hold clue in 1978 Burger Chef murders

Investigators hope the release of a key piece of information about a knife can bring in new tips in a high-profile quadruple-murder case that's remained unsolved for nearly 40 years.

Indiana State Police on Wednesday gave an update on the Burger Chef murders, which occurred the night of Nov. 17, 1978, at 5725 Crawfordsville Road, between North Lynnhurst and North High School roads.

After closing time at the Burger Chef in Speedway, four employees ages 16 to 20 and money in the restaurant's safe went missing. The employees' bodies were found two days later in rural Johnson County.

Coroners said the oldest victim was stabbed twice in the chest. A 16-year-old died of blunt force trauma, possible during a escape attempt. The other two were shot multiple times in execution style.

Although detectives have looked at two suspects, no one has been charged with the crime.

State police Sgt. Bill Dalton spoke about the knife. "What makes that knife unique is the fact that the blade that's broken off is approximately 4-1/2 inches long."

"Another identifier that one of the suspects was wearing at the time of the murder was likely a sheet, or carried a long-bladed knife like this."

Police asked people who know of anyone who carried a similar knife on a sleeve during the end of 1978 to call Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317 -262-8477.

19. Kimster

I like how it's for sure that they have DNA and may test it through genealogy. That would be great! I still think it was somebody that knew them somehow. Beating someone with a chain is very personal.