1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CANADA: The Crown vs. Jian Ghomeshi - former CBC radio host accused of sexual assault *NOT GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by Kimster, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

The former CBC Radio host is charged with four counts of sexual assault, and one count of overcome resistance by choking. He has pleaded not guilty.

The complainant, a dancer and artist whose name is under publication ban, said she knew Ghomeshi in passing through the arts community and went to dinner with him on the Danforth after meeting him at a dance festival where she was performing.

On another night, after her performance was over, they went to a secluded area of the park, where they began kissing, she testified.

He was kissing her neck and she felt his teeth, she said.

“It all happened so fast, at that point I wasn't trying to get away,” she said.

“All of a sudden I felt his hands on my shoulders and his teeth...and his hands were around my neck and he was squeezing.”

She said she had trouble breathing with his hands around her neck. Then, she said, he put his hand on her mouth “smothering” her.

“I got out of it and I got up. I don't remember saying anything or and I was never asked how I got up.”

She told the Crown she never consented to being choked or having his hand on her mouth.

“I was never asked,” she said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...i-back-in-court-for-second-week-of-trial.html

This case is pulling a lot of interest on Twitter. I thought some of you might be interested in discussing it. Please note that we cannot name the alleged victim due to Canada's laws. :thankyou:

spike and GarAndMo49 like this.
  2. Kimster

spike likes this.
  3. Kimster

Day four of the Jian Ghomeshi trial out of Toronto, Ontario, wrapped Friday and it is the sexual assault trial that all of Canada is talking about, day five is in progress at the time of press. As happens in every sexual assault trial, the witnesses claiming they have been horribly abused by the accused, have been put on trial and are being treated like the accused. Friday closed with a heated exchange between the second witness in the trial, actress Lucy DeCoutere, and defense counsel Marie Henein over emails exchanged between the victim and the accused. As the National Post reports Feb. 8, there was only one reason to discuss these emails, and that was to discredit a very compelling and convincing witness.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/jia...-and-cold-calculations-of-the-accused-exposed

spike likes this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

The Struggle Against Sexual Assault & the Ghomeshi Trial

The high-profile trial of former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi has made it glaringly clear that the capitalist criminal justice system fails survivors of sexual violence. In March, Ghomeshi was found “not guilty” for one charge of choking to overcome resistance and four charges of sexual assault related to three women. Throughout the trial the three women complainants were aggressively cross-examined and scrutinized as if they themselves had committed a crime, instead of their celebrity abuser. They were then subjected to misogynistic abuse by Justice William Horkins who said in his ruling:

"I have a firm understanding that the reasonableness of reactive human behaviour in the dynamics of a relationship can be variable and unpredictable. However, the twists and turns of the complainants' evidence in this trial, illustrate the need to be vigilant in avoiding the equally dangerous false assumption that sexual assault complainants are always truthful."

http://www.marxist.ca/analysis/wome...gainst-sexual-assault-the-ghomeshi-trial.html

spike likes this.
  5. spike

spike Bronze Member

:thud: