1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

PA CHERRIE MAHAN: Missing from Cabot, PA - 22 Feb 1985 - Age 8

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by CatFancier, Apr 20, 2015.

1. CatFancier

CatFancier Feline

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2478/9/

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/cherrie-mahan-missing-from-cabot-pa.43/

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    Lily, Akoya, DaisyChains and 3 others like this.
  2. CatFancier

CatFancier Feline

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

The search is still not over for Cherrie.

Cherrie Mahan case still open 30 years after she disappeared
    February 22, 2015 12:00 AM
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of Pennsylvania State Police in Butler

This summer, though, police and K-9s descended on a Winfield property, based on something someone had seen around the time of Cherrie's disappearance. A team from Mercyhurst College excavated a mound there, but found nothing, Trooper Birckbichler said.

In three decades, investigators have checked hundreds of thousands of leads, he said.

They’ve knocked on doors in New Jersey and Michigan after getting tips that a woman who lived there looked like Cherrie might as an adult.

Unsure of her own history, an adopted woman underwent DNA testing.

Police have an entire closet filled with bankers’ boxes of checked vehicle registrations.

And then there are about 20 3-inch binders filled with case files.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2...rs-after-she-disappeared/stories/201502220103

Lily, Akoya, DaisyChains and 4 others like this.
  4. PlainJaneDoe

PlainJaneDoe Bronze Member

I hope they find her. I am from PA and I have wondered about Cherrie for as long as I cam remember.

Akoya, DaisyChains and noZme like this.
  5. Dama

Dama Lagunas mentales

I'm not, but I grieve for these people taken from a piece of **** with no soul

Akoya likes this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2478/0

NamUs MP # 2478
    Cherrie Mahan
    [​IMG]
    Butler County, Pennsylvania
    8 year old white female

Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Cherrie
    Middle name Ann
    Last name Mahan
    Nickname/Alias
    NCMEC number 601805
    Date last seen February 22, 1985 00:00
    Date entered 07/15/2009
    Age last seen 8 to 8 years old
    Age now 39 years old
    Race White
    Ethnicity Other
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 40.0
    Weight (pounds) 68.0

Circumstances
    City Cabot
    State Pennsylvania
    Zip code
    County Butler
    Circumstances
    Cherrie's photo is shown age-progressed to 33 years. Cherrie was last seen exiting the bus from her elementary school approximately 100 yards from her family's home in Cabot, Pennsylvania on February 22, 1985. She has never been seen again. A bright blue or green Dodge van with a mountain and skier mural on both sides of the vehicle may be involved in Mahan's abduction

Physical
    Hair color Brown
    Head hair
    Brown

Left eye color Hazel
    Right eye color Hazel

Scars and marks
    She has a dog bite scar on her left arm. The same arm was previously broken below her left shoulder; the injury had healed by the time of her disappearance.

She has pierced ears

Clothing
    denim skirt; blue leg warmers
    Footwear
    beige boots
    Accessories
    wearing a gray coat

Transportation Methods
    Vehicle make Dodge
    Style Van/Minivan
    Vehicle color Blue and Green

A bright blue or green Dodge van with a mountain and skier mural on both sides of the vehicle may be involved in Mahan's abduction
    Mahan was last seen exiting the bus from her elementary school approximately 100 yards from her family's home in Cabot, Pennsylvania on February 22, 1985

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Trooper
    First name Chris
    Last name Birckbichler
    Phone 724-284-8100
    Website
    Case number D1-326871
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction State
    Agency Pennsylvania State Police
    Address 1 Troop D,Butler Station
    Address 2 200 Barracks Road
    City Butler
    State Pennsylvania
    Zip code
    Comments
    Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation
    Missing Persons Unit
    717-783-5524

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paradise and Lily like this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Paradise likes this.
  9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cherrie...ice-may-have-break-in-1985-missing-girl-case/

By Carlin Miller CBS News January 14, 2011, 3:07 PM

Cherrie Mahan Missing: Penn. Police May Have Break in 1985 Missing Girl Case

[​IMG]

Cherrie Mahan was last seen stepping off a school bus in Winfield Township, Pa., about 35 miles north of Pittsburgh, on Feb. 22, 1985. She hasn't been seen since, and was the first child ever featured on the now-famous "Have You Seen Me?" advertising circulars produced by a company called Advo Inc., for the National Center on Missing and Exploited Children.
    missingkids.com

[​IMG]

CABOT, Pa. (CBS/AP) Eight-year-old Cherrie Mahan disappeared 26 years ago after getting off her school bus. Now, Pennsylvania State Police say "potentially crucial" information has been revealed in her disappearance.

Unfortunately, police also say that this new information means it is "highly unlikely" Cherrie is still alive.

Cherrie was last seen stepping off a school bus in Winfield Township, Pa., about 35 miles north of Pittsburgh, on Feb. 22, 1985. She was the first child ever featured on the now-famous "Have You Seen Me?" advertising circulars produced by a company called Advo Inc., for the National Center on Missing and Exploited Children.

"An individual came to the Pennsylvania State Police Butler station and provided some information to an investigator regarding this case," Trooper Dan Kesten told CBS affiliate KDKA. "[It] may or may not produce additional leads for us."

Investigators will not reveal what the person who came forward said, but they do say the information is more specific than past tips have been.

Trooper Robert McGraw told The Associated Press that the new information makes it "highly unlikely that she is alive."

McGraw has been the lead investigator on the case since late last summer and told The Valley News Dispatch that there still is a chance that Cherrie is alive. If she is, she would be 33 years old. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has produced an age-progressed photo of what Cherrie might look like today.

Cherrie was 4-feet-2-inches tall and weighed about 68 pounds when she disappeared. She had brown hair and hazel eyes. She has pierced ears and was last seen wearing a gray coat, blue denim skirt, blue leg warmers and beige boots.

Cherrie's mother, Janice McKinney, told KDKA, "It's closure we're all looking for," and hopes this person coming forward will provide that. "The not-knowing is what eats you alive every single day of your life."

10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.wtae.com/news/new-search-made-in-cherrie-mahan-case/27015936

New search unsuccessful for girl missing since '85

Police, K-9s, archaeology team search in Winfield Township, where Cherrie Mahan disappeared years ago

UPDATED 4:16 PM EDT Jul 18, 2014

A search this week of a property in western Pennsylvania came up empty in the latest effort to find 8-year-old Cherrie Mahan who disappeared in 1985.

The Pennsylvania State Police and a team from the Mercyhurst University Archaeological Institute this week searched a property in Butler County.

Police say the continued investigation and interviews led to the searches. They brought search dogs to the property and the Mercyhurst team excavated part of it.

A search this week of a property in western Pennsylvania came up empty in the latest effort to find 8-year-old Cherrie Mahan who disappeared in 1985.

Cherrie Mahan was last seen by a motorist stepping off a school bus near her home in Cabot, about 25 miles northeast of Pittsburgh on Feb. 22, 1985.

Later that year, she was featured on the first "Have You Seen Me?" mailings by Advo Inc.

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaLostnmissing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=786746378088347

[​IMG]

Cherrie Mahan - 2/22/85 - Cabot PA (Butler County)

[​IMG]
    UNSOLVED #MISSING Cherrie Ann Mahan – February 22, 1985 – Cabot, Pennsylvania (Butler County)

Cherrie Mahan was 8 years old when she disappeared from her bus stop in rural Winfield Township in western Pennsylvania. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT the Bellevue Borough Police (Pennsylvania) at 412-766-7400.

Age Last Seen: 8 years old
    Date Last Seen: February 22, 1985
    Race: White
    Sex: Female
    Height: 4’2”
    Weight: 68 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Hazel
    Scars and marks: She has a dog bite scar on her left arm. The same arm was previously broken below her left shoulder; the injury had healed by the time of her disappearance.
    Piercings: She has pierced ears.
    Cherrie was last seen wearing a gray coat, blue denim skirt, blue leg warmers, and beige boots.

Investigating Agency: Pennsylvania State Police (Troop D, Butler) 724-284-8100
    Incident # D1-326871

Circumstances:
    8-year-old Cherrie Mahan disappeared from her bus stop in rural Winfield Township in western Pennsylvania. She had just got off the school bus about 100 yards from her home.

Children on Cherrie's school bus described a light blue van with a mural of a snowcapped mountain and a skier painted on the side that was parked right behind the bus stop. Investigators believe a bright blue 1976 Dodge van could've been involved in the girl's disappearance.

There was snow on the ground the day Cherrie vanished but no footprints leading to her house, suggesting to investigators that she didn't get far and was picked up quickly.

Cherrie was the first child to appear on a "Have You Seen Me?" mailer, soon after she disappeared February 22, 1985.

ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT the Pennsylvania State Police, Troop D, Butler at 724-284-8100 or the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST).

NCMEC # 601805
    httpa//www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601805/1/screen:::http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601805/1/screen

NamUs MP # 2478
    httpsa//www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2478/62:::https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2478/62

News Sources:
    httpa//www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/19/cherrie.mahan.cold.case/:::http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/19/cherrie.mahan.cold.case/

httpa//www.post-gazette.com/local/2015/02/22/Cherrie-Mahan-case-still-open-30-years-after-she-disappeared/stories/201502220103:::http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2015/02/22/Cherrie-Mahan-case-still-open-30-years-after-she-disappeared/stories/201502220103

Facebook Pennsylvania Missing: httpsa//www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaLostnmissing:::https://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaLostnmissing
    LostNMissing Inc., is an all-volunteer national tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (the "code") and qualifies as a public supported organization under Sections, or Categories: P99 (Human Services - Multipurpose and Other N.E.C.); M99 (Other Public Safety, Disaster Preparedness, and Relief N.E.C.); I01 (Alliance/Advocacy Organizations). LostNMissing is organized and incorporated under the laws of the State of New Hampshire. We never charge a fee for our services.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cherrie Mahan was 8 years old when she disappeared from her bus stop in rural Winfield Township in western Pennsylvania. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT the Bellevue Borough Police (Pennsylvania) at 412-766-7400.

Paradise likes this.
  13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/19/cherrie.mahan.cold.case/

Tip could be 'crucial' lead in Cherrie Mahan case

By Chuck Hadad, "AC360" Producer
    January 20, 2011 12:40 p.m. EST

"AC360°" is investigating some of the nation's most notorious cold cases. Watch nightly at 10 ET.

(CNN) -- Cherrie Mahan was 8 years old when she disappeared from her bus stop one day after school in 1985. Now, nearly 26 years after she vanished, the lead investigator says there could be a break in the case.

"Recently, a person contacted Pennsylvania State Police, and they have the potential to be crucial to the investigation in the future," Trooper Robert McGraw said. "We're highly optimistic that this lead has the potential to bring closure to Cherrie's family."

Cherrie was the first child to appear on a "Have You Seen Me?" mailer, soon after she disappeared February 22, 1985.

She was last seen getting off a school bus and was supposed to walk 200 feet to her home in rural Winfield Township in western Pennsylvania. On any other day, her mother would have been there to meet her.

"I should have been there when Cherrie got off the school bus, and I wasn't," Janice McKinney told CNN's Randi Kaye. "Four o'clock, the bus came, and we heard it. And she just never came up the driveway."

Since that moment, Cherrie's mother has been living every parent's nightmare. "I think my guilt started at that point, because up until that day, I was there. And if I would have been there, I wouldn't be going through this," she said.

Children on Cherrie's school bus described a light blue van with a mural of a snowcapped mountain and a skier painted on the side that was parked right behind the bus stop. Investigators believe the van could've been involved in the girl's disappearance.

There was snow on the ground the day Cherrie vanished but no footprints leading to her house, suggesting to investigators that she didn't get far and was picked up quickly.

"I believe Cherrie was abducted by someone she knows very well," McGraw said. "And I believe this person had the ability to basically lure Cherrie to their vehicle without her giving it a second thought prior to her disappearance."

After Cherrie's disappearance, her mother didn't want to go through life without a child. Five years later, she had a son named Robert. He's now in his 20s. His mother kept him extremely close during his entire childhood for fear that he too could be taken away from her.

"He's never, ever gone anywhere without somebody," she said in 2005. "I mean, from the time he was able to walk, until this day ... I go to every soccer game. I stand by the door, you know, worried that somebody could come in and take him."

Cherrie's mother just wants to know what happened to her little girl. At the family's cemetery plot, there is a statue of an angel for Cherrie, not a gravestone, because her mother can't bring herself to place one there until she knows the truth.

"I have resigned myself to the fact that Cherrie is OK, whether she is dead or alive. If she's dead, my family is taking care of her. If she's alive, someone else is taking care of her," she said. "All I pray for now is to know one way or the other."

The mystery also weighs heavily on McGraw. Three investigators worked the case before him, all with the goal of solving it before they retired and all leaving the force coming up short. It's never far from his mind.

"I can't imagine if that was my child. I can't imagine the pain her mother must wake up with every day," McGraw said. "It's hard not to be attached" to the case, he said, pausing to fight tears.

With the new lead, McGraw is hopeful that with perseverance and some luck, he can finally solve one of the most notorious cold cases in recent U.S. history.

"I have a picture of her on my desk," he said. "So any second of my workday, when I think that there is nothing on my plate or I have anything to do, that picture reminds me there is always something to do, because we don't know what happened to Cherrie."

CNN's Randi Kaye contributed to this story.

15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2...rs-after-she-disappeared/stories/201502220103

Cherrie Mahan case still open 30 years after she disappeared
    February 22, 2015 12:00 AM

By Lexi Belculfine / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

<snip>

For police, today marks another chance to drum up leads — maybe even the lead that will close her case.

“Anniversaries seem to spur memories, and memories seem to spur phone calls,” said State Trooper Chris Birckbichler, who handles cold cases in Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Lawrence and Mercer counties.

At least once a month, sometimes as frequently as once a week, Trooper Birckbichler gets a tip about Cherrie.

Many are about a 1976 Dodge van, its side panels painted with a mural of a mountain and a skier, which police believe was involved in her disappearance.

“A lot we can't follow,” he said, such as those from people who think they saw the van on the turnpike in 1987.

This summer, though, police and K-9s descended on a Winfield property, based on something someone had seen around the time of Cherrie's disappearance. A team from Mercyhurst College excavated a mound there, but found nothing, Trooper Birckbichler said.

In three decades, investigators have checked hundreds of thousands of leads, he said.

They’ve knocked on doors in New Jersey and Michigan after getting tips that a woman who lived there looked like Cherrie might as an adult.

<snip>

Technology, whether it is Amber Alerts or social media, allows police to communicate with the public in real time, which has “saved countless children,” Mr. Lowery said. More and more children have cell phones and connect on social media, so parents can quickly locate their kids without ever having to alert police.

Last year, about 465,000 children were reported missing, though only about 110 annually are stranger abductions, Mr. Lowery said. Both of those numbers are on the downswing.

Though Cherrie could have been legally declared dead Feb. 22, 1992 — seven years after her disappearance — a Butler County judge approved a petition to do so in November 1998.

Her family sought the action so a trust fund in the girl’s name could be transferred to the brother she never met, Robert. He was born four years after she went missing.

“The longer children are gone, the less likely we are to reunite them happily with their families,” Mr. Lowery said. “But we don’t give up hope because we do see those remarkable cases.”

Lily likes this.
  16. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

17. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2010/08/abduction-of-cherrie-mahan.html

TUESDAY, AUGUST 31, 2010
    The Abduction of Cherrie Mahan

“A black hole opened up and she fell in...”
    by Robert A. Waters

Twenty-five years. In the span of time, it’s nothing. But to the family of a missing child, it’s a lifetime. On the afternoon of February 22, 1985, eight-year-old Cherrie Ann Mahan stepped off her school bus with several other children. The kids scattered towards home, each going separate ways. When the dust cleared, Cherrie was gone. Vanished. Disappeared into the dark fog of time. The question remains unanswered: who snatched the brown-haired, brown-eyed girl with the beautiful smile?

It was about 4:00 p.m., and Cherrie was slightly more than fifty yards from her family’s mobile home in Winfield, Pennsylvania when she went missing. Due to the cold weather, she wore a gray coat, blue denim skirt, blue leg warmers, beige ankle boots, and brown earmuffs bearing the logo of a Cabbage Patch doll.

An article in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review outlined the events surrounding the disappearance: “Cherrie's stepfather, Leroy McKinney, usually drove her the 50 yards from the bus stop at Cornplanter and Winfield roads in Winfield to the family's mobile home at the end of a steep, wooded driveway. The home was not visible from the road. But that day, [Leroy and his wife Janice] decided to let Cherrie walk [home].”

Leroy heard the bus pull up and leave. But when Cherrie hadn’t arrived within a few minutes, he drove down to the bus stop to check on her. She was nowhere to be found. Leroy raced back home and Janice called police.

The only real clue in two and a half decades was the sighting of a unique-looking van. After interviewing neighbors and the children on the school bus, investigators determined that a bright blue or green 1976 Dodge van had been seen following the bus. It had an unusual mural painted on it that covered the entirety of both sides of the van. The painting showed a snow-capped mountain with a skier headed down the mountain. The skier was dressed in red and yellow clothing.

Now it should have been easy to find that van. But alas, the vehicle was never located. As the years drained away, Pennsylvania State Trooper Frank Jedesky continued to work the case. Commenting on the mysterious van, he recently said, “By now it’s probably in a junkyard or somewhere.”

“It's the not knowing that kills you,” a heart-broken Janice McKinney said. “Every day you wonder and you look at some girl who's 33 and you wonder, ‘Is that her?’ I look at little kids and wonder, ‘Is that my grandchild?’”

Janice speaks of her child today as if Cherrie had fallen into a black hole. The pain never leaves, never goes away.

Who took Cherrie Mahan? Why did no one report that unusual van to police? Today, someone might still remember it. If so, please call the Pennsylvania State Police Missing Persons Unit at 1-412-284-8100.

Lily likes this.
  19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

www.post-gazette.com

Janice McKinney with a picture of her daughter, Cherrie Mahan. (Lake Fong, Post-Gazette)

[​IMG]