1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

WA CLARK COUNTY JANE DOE: F, 13-16, found near Fly Creek, Amboy, WA - Feb 1980

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1980 to 1989' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Dec 28, 2016.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Medical examiner needs your help identifying remains of teen found in 1980

[​IMG]

The Clark County Medical Examiner needs the public's help identifying a teenage girl whose remains were found nearly 37 years ago.

The girl's remains were found in a wooded area near Fly Creek in the county's northeast corner on Feb. 24, 1980. She was between 13 and 18 years old when she died, which was possibly in the late 1970s.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released new, computer-generated images of the girl's face Monday, in hopes of someone recognizing her.

http://kval.com/news/local/medical-examiner-needs-your-help-identifying-teen-found-in-1980

Facial reconstruction shows girl found dead in Clark County in 1980

Clark County officials have released a new facial reconstruction portrait in the continued attempt to identify a teenage girl who was found dead in the woods in 1980.

The girl was found in a wooded area near Fly Creek in Clark County, and the medical examiner believes she was somewhere between 13 and 18 years old when she died. Detectives believe she died in the late 1970s.

If you have any idea who the girl or her killer might be, all the sheriff’s office’s cold-case tip line at (360) 397-2036, or the Clark County medical examiner at (360) 397-2595.

http://q13fox.com/2016/12/19/facial-reconstruction-shows-girl-found-dead-in-clark-county-in-1980/

[​IMG]

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...jane-doe-medical-examiner-asks-for-help.1916/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016
    Akoya, spike and Kimster like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Glad they put out a new reconstruction. Her old NCMEC composite, which is still up, is not the greatest, IMO.

http://www.missingkids.org/poster/NCMU/1105074/1/screen

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office is attempting to identify the remains of a female teenager discovered in a wooded area within Clark County, Washington in February 1980. The remains were determined to be those of a white female, approximately 15 to 16 years of age, who had well developed neck muscles.

[​IMG]

NamUs - https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10799

Akoya, spike and Kimster like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Administrator Staff Member

Thanks SheWho! I meant to start a thread for her, but didn't have time then, so just put her in the media thread, and then forgot altogether. :doh:

I pray this renewed interest in her case sends her home!

Akoya, SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and spike like this.
  4. Jason Futch

Jason Futch The King of the Highway

EXAMINING FLY CREEK JANE DOE'S LAST MOMENTS
    By Jason Futch
    In the last couple of weeks, I have been actively studying this case, as it appears this occurred right in Portland's back yard. This isn't the usual case of unidentified remains found floating on the Columbia or Willamette Rivers, but a case of a homicide that occurred more than 35 years ago.
    A father and son panning for gold along the Fly Creek, located in Amboy, Washington made a discovery they probably will never forget. It was February 24th, 1980...only three more months until the Northwest was on edge due to the catastrophic explosion of Mt. Saint Helens, which is located about an hour and a half from this site. As this duo was panning for gold, they suddenly discovered the partial remains of a female located in some brush just off the Fly Creek.
    Investigators were called out to the scene, where they collected evidence and scoured the area for any clues that would have helped in her identity; but none were found.
    The Clark County Sheriffs Office has been handling the case, but have been very mum about the situation due to Non-Disclosure policies their sheriffs department has. Most of the information they have made public has been brief. That is why, I have decided to take up this case as a individual who has an interest in identifying the Fly Creek Jane Doe and also perhaps shed light on who may have killed her.
    My adventures have taken me to National Forest Road 54; nestled in the upper Northeast Clark County portion of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Before it becomes NF-54, it is Healy Rd. for about seven minutes of the drive. Along the way to the Forest Road, you pass by several farms, a metal scrap yard and many private roads. To even get out here, you must go through the city of Woodland, WA and onto WA-503. Following this road will take you to Amboy and through Chelatchie; which is predominately an Native American reservation. The Chelachie General store sits on the corner of 503 and Healy Rd.; the place to stock up for extended camping trips through Gifford Pinchot.
    IMG_E0165[1].JPG
    [​IMG]

When I got to the Gifford Pinchot NF-54 entry, it becomes a narrow road. About a minute in, you reach a split; going straight you get to the bridge that goes over the Lewis River and going right, you go onto private property owned by Weyerhauser. As you go straight, it is about another 4 minutes before you get to the bridge. When I arrived, I knew I was in the right place. I began surveying and taking photos of the area surrounding Fly Creek and the Lewis River (attached to this thread). I also did some video documentation of the area as well, once on 4/8/18 and again on 4/15/18. On 4/15, I had brought along two others, one being a local of the Vancouver, WA area.
    When I brought my friend Steve with me, he gave me a rundown of the area. He informed me of how most of the area was more than likely COVERED in trees and brush during the events and how most likely cougars and bears were not the culprits in dismembering the Jane Doe because of impossible access. He based this off of the cliff formations and other discoveries he made like no trappings or animal markings. He is confident that the area was indeed a dumping site, and that Jane Doe was not a victim of random camping violence. He also gave consideration that camping in this area alone would have made for a bad idea due to the desolation of the area. You aren't close to any medical or law enforcement, so the likelihood of being found would be slim unless rafters or a group of campers decided to camp there and found you.
    Based on my observations, this was more than likely a dumpsite. Also too, whoever perpetrated this woman's murder had to have really good knowledge of this area. Not just anyone would know where this place is, but someone who either lives or lived in the area, an avid Washington hiker/rafter/camper, or potentially a forester who has worked in the area. For me, I would have never known this place existed if it wasn't for Fly Creek Jane Doe unfortunately. This person obviously had to have had some kind of strength to get her down to the creek. Its not an easy trek to the creek, as you will see in the photos.

After going unidentified for so long, the CCSO along with NCMEC commissioned a reconstruction of Jane Doe's face; which showed a heavy resemblance toward a woman of either Native American or Hispanic race. Her neck region indicated she had muscle formations there; which meant she could have been an athlete or a laborer. Because the remains were partial, there was no way to get fingerprints, however her dentals have been charted and DNA has been made available.
    I am still creating a "Sleuther's Profile" for this Jane Doe because currently, no records are available to the public other than what is known on NamUs and various missing persons websites. It is definitely up to us to figure out this mystery!

Attached Files:

5. Jason Futch

I have more photos, however its not letting me upload due to the file sizes.

Akoya likes this.
  6. Jason Futch

7. Kimster

So, did you rule out that he may have had her walk down there at gunpoint, assaulted her and then killed her?

Is this a popular fishing hole? I'm wondering if it's a place that is familiar to locals. The path showing from the road in your pictures makes it look inviting, however. I wonder if there was a path there in 1980?

Akoya and Jason Futch like this.
  8. Jason Futch

I haven’t ruled it out. There is a chance that this did happen under the bridge. According to some of the articles I read on the microfilm, her remains were found near the bridge; makes me believe this happened around the off season time for that area. No one would have heard a gunshot and the perp would have had time to bury or hide the remains.

This was more of a rafting, camping and gold panning area. But according to the locals, the peak season is usually July-September. One of the reasons we sought after topographic maps the other day was to get an idea of the land area around the dump site. Unfortunately we found only a regular Metsker atlas with names on each parcel of land indicating that person or business owned the land. The area was owned by the State Forestry Board according the 1961 atlas; however between then and 1974, Weyerhaeuser aquired the land and built a number of private access roads around that parcel of land.

That indicates to me the killer of this young girl had great knowledge of the area....maybe perhaps he was active in the wildlife OR may have worked as a forester for Weyerhaeuser and knew of good dumpsites where he could dispose of the remains quietly.

9. Kimster

Fascinating!

How did you find the correct location? I'd like to do this someday with a couple of does found nearby.

10. Jason Futch

It was almost scientific! So when I was researching the Jane Doe, I kept seeing Fly Creek. Little did I realize that Fly Creek is also the name of a small town in Washington State near Mt. Saint Helens. So I did some deeper digging and I missed that it was an actual creek in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Check.

So the remaining question was where was Jane Doe when she was discovered? There were varying locations notated in numerous media from shallow grave at Canyon Creek to along the Fly Creek. So when I made my first visit to the Fly Creek a couple weeks ago, the survey was pretty much to understand the immediate area and also make tentative markers as to where Jane Doe was found. Then a few days ago, I dug into the archives of the Columbian and discovered that where I was looking, around the Canyon Creek bridge, was indeed the location where John Bannister and his son made the gruesome discovery. The Skull was found along Fly Creek south (the location is notated as south because Fly Creek flows North into the Canyon Creek). The rest of what was found was located under the bridge.

It’s amazing what on-spot research can do! I would heavily encourage it for anyone doing aggressive research on their particular Does.

11. Kimster

You've encouraged me. After my trip at the beginning of May, I'm going to plot out a discovery trip for my two does, Swamp Mountain and Big Springs doe. I'll keep you posted!

Akoya and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  12. Jason Futch

If you need any help with that or need someone to tag with on that I’d be more than happy to help barring work lol.

13. Jason Futch

UPDATE:

So I have geared back up to working on the FCJD case and am attempting to refocus my energy to the case; however as most everyone knows, there have been a ton of updates in my other case surrounding the murder of Fred Paul Laster (AKA Lake City John Doe). I am expecting ALL of the discovery evidence documents tomorrow from the Florida State Attorney's Office; and I am going to assume that this Doc-Drop will probably sludge my work with FCJD for a bit. I am certain I can juggle the cases, but I am going to be reviewing over 4,000 documents in the Laster case.

So back to FCJD. This weekend I took a special camping trip to the area where she was found by the Bannisters. Call me crazy, but I guess I enjoy sleeping with the ghosts and wolves of Washington State! But the reason for my trip was to do observations of the area through the night and see what kind of activity takes place. And as I was there, I learned ALOT about this area.
    There were some characters that drove on the forest road during the evening, and at one point a car stopped on the bridge, probably because they saw my campfire. However despite this, there was not alot of activity in the area. During the course of the day however, this was a different story.
    The area definitely gets its share of visitors to the waters. I counted about 30 people who had stopped to go down to the creek or to stand on the bridge and take photos. I also visited the Chelatchie Prarie General Store to chat with the clerks about the area once more (remember I did this a couple months ago), and I was told that the area I was at is a very popular camping site in the late spring and into the summer. The groups usually consist of hippy-type teens and young adults who go out there to do drugs and party around a campfire. Sometimes, rafts and gold pans are involved.
    As I studied the people visiting during the day, I noticed that it was just mainly families with small or teenaged children. Every time I saw them, I always wondered if they knew what happened out in that location almost forty years ago.
    I concluded my camping trip and recorded it.

Just an hour ago before typing this up, I took a moment to email Nikki Costa, the Medical Examiner in charge of this case to tell her our efforts in helping to identify the FCJD. She has not got back to me. I also urged her to contact the DNA Doe Project to get her case submitted. I believe FCJD's case is a hot one and I believe that there is a chance she can be identified via DDP. I am looking forward to her correspondence.

That is all I have now. I'm gonna take a cat nap and then revisit everything.

14. Jason Futch

OH! And I forgot to mention, we are offering a $500 reward for info leading to FCJD's Identification! Untitled document-1.jpg

15. Jason Futch

I am resuming research on this case today. Going to tweak the website up a bit. However I do have some new information, more or less a followup to my email to the MEO in Clark County, WA.

I emailed Dr. Nikki Costa a couple of months ago to inquire about the case and to inform her of the reward I and others have decided to put up for the identification of the Jane Doe. I never received a response from her, hoping she would have been happy to discuss the case. I sent her another one last week to follow up with her and to see if she received my email. She never responded.
    I would think that she would have been happy to see that someone was thinking of her Jane Doe, but apparently not. Also, because of Dr. Costa not following up with me NOR the genealogist that was wanting to work her case, we can't do anything with GEDMatch, which doesn't help anything at all. In fact Dr. Costa's not following up slightly angers me. I'm going to continue my research with or without the help of Clark County.

Another thing: In a couple of weeks, I am planning to finally get the reward posters out to businesses in that area, hoping that someone will come forward to police. I intend to distribute them to businesses from Battle Ground, WA to southern Cowlitz County and specific parts of the area (Woodland, Castle Rock, Toutle, Etc.)

Until next time.

Kimster and Akoya like this.
  16. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

@JasonFutch - Thank you for all of your hard work.

Whatsnext, Jason Futch and Kimster like this.
  17. Kimster

I've been told that some agencies respond with thankfulness, and others respond in just this manner. I'm sorry you're dealing with one that doesn't respond for whatever reason.

Jason Futch and Akoya like this.
  18. Jason Futch

Yeah it just baffles me! I would have never expected Dr. Costa to stay mum on this, considering an OPB interview she gave a couple years ago about this case.

Akoya likes this.
  19. Jason Futch

I am also considering renaming her as the Chelatchie Prarie Jane Doe...does this sound better or should we stick with Fly Creek Jane Doe? I take no credit for the Fly Creek nickname...that was another person’s doing (TheShadow45 at WS).

Akoya likes this.
  20. Kimster

I'd leave it and stay consistent. Also, I don't like to discourage anyone who takes an interest in these cases, no matter where they share their info. :wink: