1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

COOPER HARRIS: The State of Georgia vs. Ross Harris, Hot Car Dad, for murder of son *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Saddened

Saddened Active Member

In my early 20's I had a three year old and a two week old daughter in the car. I had just returned from doing a load of laundry at my parents house as my washer was broken. I pulled my car up beside our backdoor, let my 3 year old out of the car, grabbed the laundry and left the baby in the car. As I was putting the laundry away I suddenly realized what I had done. She had been in there for about 5 minutes and was still sleeping. My sleep deprived brain had completely forgotten she existed for those 5 minutes. 24 years later and I have never forgiven myself, that moment is as clear now as it was then. That being said, I know that it can happen. But NO WAY do you forget all day. I believe the jurors are right and I weep for what that poor little boy must have been going through.

Scoobie, GarAndMo49, Ladyslug and 7 others like this.
  2. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

That's the hardest thing to come to terms with. That a father would inflict such torture onto his son, full well knowing what was happening to that precious baby as he was dying.

3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

:hug: I know the regret feeling. When my son, who is now in his early 30s, was young, I left blazing hot coffee close to the edge of the counter and he tried to reach for it, spilling the hot coffee on him! He was screaming and all red. Thankfully, it didn't leave a burn, but I still feel horrid to this day.

Cooper's death gives me nightmares. This has been a difficult thread for me to visit very often.

Scoobie, GarAndMo49, Ladyslug and 6 others like this.
  4. Kimster

BTW! :welcome: @Saddened!

Thank you for joining us! :grouphug:

GarAndMo49, Ladyslug, spike and 6 others like this.
  5. walkie-talkie

walkie-talkie Can you hear me now?

I think we all have done things we regret as parents. But none of those things were intentional.
    With Ross, I firmly believe it was intentional. And there lies the difference. His only regret was that he was caught and didn't fool everyone like he thought he would.

I have wept so many tears for this precious little boy. I wept yesterday when his own mother nor anyone else from his family was there for HIM in court. His mother was there only when she testified. Cooper deserved so much better. :(

Scoobie, GarAndMo49, Saddened and 6 others like this.
  6. walkie-talkie

walkie-talkie Can you hear me now?

GarAndMo49, Steve, spike and 3 others like this.
  7. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Wherever JRH is now, I hope he has begun to realize his lack of freedom is the price for his freedom from marriage & fatherhood.

8. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I didn't see any evidence of premeditation. I think the jury was wrong in voting guilty on the malice murder charge. The unrelated sex charges shouldn't have be tried with the murder charges. In my opinion the state did that to so anger the jury they would want to punish RH severely. Looks like it worked.

Ladyslug, Steve and Paradise like this.
  9. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

If he had not sexted/texted 6 women the day the baby died, I would say the charges should have been separate. I think it was fair to bring in everything he did that day.

Isn't it interesting how people have the same information about an incident & form opposite views? I was hoping some of the jurors would speak publicly about the deliberation process. From what has been said, they took the responsibility very seriously.

10. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

All that tells me was that the texting distracted him and perhaps contributed to him forgetting Cooper in the car. It doesn't show me any premeditation.

They brought in way more sexting than the day of Coopers death. That's why they had unrelated charges in the same trial. I think that it was despicable that the judge allowed the state to do that.

Ladyslug, Steve and Paradise like this.
  11. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

He walked to his car at lunch and put something into his car. I have no problem believing he knew the kid was in there.

12. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

* a Little Apron day care worker said that Ross Harris dropped his son off every day and took a daily picture of him, but stopped doing that two weeks before his death.
    * told building security guard that he was going to the movies, but he had never offered personal information to the guard before.
    * five URLs to the website Reddit and the search was the phrase "childfree".
    * Ross " I love my son and all but we both need escapes," only minutes before leaving the restaurant and driving to work,

13. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

All weak evidence to me. I thought that some of the "searches" were not actual searches but things sent to him by others. I can't remember the exact deal.

14. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

I believe parents have the responsibility to put their children's safety & welfare above everything. That means concern about a disagreement with the spouse, problems at work, financial issues, a dying relative, what's in the oven, absolutely anything. A dependent child comes first, whoever he is with at any given time must make the child's needs his priority.

JRH was on the phone doing Monkey-Business first thing that morning, while he was getting Cooper ready for daycare, driving in ATL traffic & during the special treat, father-son breakfast & driving again. And the rest of his "workday" as well. If that makes him less likable to the jury - well he did it. Facts are facts & a baby died. Would it be any more acceptable if he had been talking to a co-worker about an issue at the office?.... I am not saying people don't make mistakes. My son had a black-eye on his 2nd birthday, had plenty of scraped knees & when he was 5, had a broken arm. None of that happened because an adult was distracted. I & 3 others were standing right there, "Watch me jump out of the tree."

The content of Harris's conversations was very important to the totality of the day. I love my kid but we both need a break, & if it wasn't for Cooper, I would leave my wife to be with you. Yep, that makes it worse because it IS worse.

Distracted?
    @Ranch, If I was driving down the road, reading my book & smashed down your mailbox, would that in any way be excusable? I was distracted. I didn't mean to do it. I'm sorry. (It was not malicious intent & maybe I can become an advocate for not reading while driving.)

The whole distracted defense was just, ummm, a distraction. I thought they put up the best defense possible, but 12 citizens disagreed. His lawyers couldn't even use their bang-up expert on Forgotten Baby as their last witness because he would have opened doors they couldn't explain.

The day after Cooper died, I read the story in the Atlanta Journal & Constitution. I followed the paper, tv & web forums since the beginning. I watched the trial.... Day one & I never wavered, my hinky meter buzzed on the fact that Ross drove in that small car, his face inches from the dead baby & did not see or smell anything..... no way. If Ross had discovered the child when he opened the door to leave Home Depot parking lot, I may have waited for more information.

Different people - differing views. I am appreciative of our right to express opinions & CW as a place to do so.

Ladyslug, daisy7, Scoobie and 6 others like this.
  15. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I understand why people don't like RH and are angry with him. He deserves it. I looked at the evidence and I don't think the state proved that he was guilty of murder beyond a reasonable doubt. Looks like I'm the only one on CW that see's it that way. Oh well. Carry on.

Ladyslug, Scoobie, Steve and 3 others like this.
  16. Scoobie

Scoobie Director Staff Member

I agree NoZme. For me it was the lunch time visit. He had to be able to see through the windows as he approached to open the driver's side door. As he threw his package and turned back towards the parking. He had to have been able to smell the baby's wet diaper. I can't get past that. And then again, after work :( If he would have thrown open the door then and broke down, maybe I would have seen this case differently. But to wait until you are in a parking lot, choose to put the baby on the hot pavement instead of the grass nearby. I think he knew exactly what he was doing :(

17. Kimster

I don't know if I would have been able to say he was guilty, but the lunch time visit is definitely a lean to the guilty side.

What a difficult decision for those jurors. The whole case is heartbreaking all the way around.

18. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

When I get into my SUV I never look in the back seat area. Same if I'm putting my lunchbox in the front seat.

19. spike

spike Bronze Member

BUT DO YOU HAVE BABIES??

noZme, Cousin Dupree and Paradise like this.
  20. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. If I don't have a reason to look I don't. RH thought he left Cooper at the daycare. No reason to look in the back.

noZme, spike and Paradise like this.