1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

COOPER HARRIS: The State of Georgia vs. Ross Harris, Hot Car Dad, for murder of son *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jun 20, 2015.

1. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Disgust & anger are certainly at the forefront in my thoughts about RH but I believe his actions were planned. In his grief, such as it was (& we did see several hours video of him in the hours immediately after he "discovered" Cooper), #1 I could be an advocate, #2 no malice & #3 sitting there in the booking area, showing no emotion, chatting with other detainees & never saying "this is the worst day of my life, my baby is gone..." I live in Georgia; I know about hot cars; Rh not reacting to odors that had to be present, made me suspicious of his story long before I knew any details of his private life.

I feel so strongly about this & it's so interesting that you & others see it so differently. Jury experts would learn a lot by getting in our heads.

Appeal should be filed any day now. Do you think any hope for him lies with having been triedwith all the charges together?

Scoobie, walkie-talkie, Steve and 3 others like this.
  2. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

I cannot separate leaving the child in the car & texting. It
    matters that his actions were simultaneous.

3. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take anything that Harris texted to his conquests as being honest. He would say anything to get what he wanted from these women and young girls.

I don't think that he had any intention of leaving his wife. He was getting everything he wanted while still married. Why complicate things with a divorce.? Why kill your own kid to do things your already doing?

The State didn't show a motive to me. I'm not on the jury so I need one.

walkie-talkie, noZme, Steve and 2 others like this.
  4. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I look at it as a cause for being distracted and a possible reason for forgetting Cooper in the car.

Steve, Cousin Dupree and Paradise like this.
  5. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I live in Sacramento and know about hot cars. I think that Harris has a shot at a new trial because of the unrelated crimes being being allowed.

noZme, Steve, Paradise and 1 other person like this.
  6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Thanks for presenting a different, and I must say coherent, view! I love when differing ideas can be discussed like this.

I'm inclined to agree with what you're saying about distraction. What has me on the "intentional" side of the fence is that he returned to his car during the day. Also, he treated Cooper to Chick-Fil-A just minutes before deserting him in the car. Minutes!

RH had even texted with his wife about Cooper during the day. He had numerous chances to remember or at least realize he never went to the daycare. It just doesn't add up for me, unless he knew fully what was happening that day.

His behavior at the parking lot and afterwards is also odd, although I try not to place too many expectations on how grieving parents ought to behave. Can't draw too many conclusions from that IMO.

Just my thoughts. I do wish that LE hadn't muddied the waters with web searches that may not have happened but I think the jury got this right.

7. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

I've been chewing on this for a few days - my mind still cannot separate everything that happened that morning, or even the short breakfast time-period & drive to Treehouse. It's all one horrible event. And I'll never buy the story that RH could have been unaware the was a body which had succumbed to heat stress, in that small space.

I haven't seen anything about filing an appeal, that should be coming soon.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

One more note - I do think the other crimes are relevant because of their concurrency with Cooper's death and also because they show motive. A parent killing their child, even as often as it gets discussed in this site, is still something we just instinctively don't want to believe happens. People will do all kinds of mental gymnastics to avoid confronting the possibility. LE had to show motive, and plenty of it.

Whether they played it up too much and did so just to anger the jury, I'll leave to the more seasoned trial observers.

Scoobie, GarAndMo49, spike and 4 others like this.
  9. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I don't see a clear motive showing premeditated malice murder in this case. Harris was doing just fine, getting what he wanted from his sexting partners. It doesn't make any sense to me that he would kill his son so he could do what he was already getting away with.

Any promises he may have made to his sexting partners are fantasy's. He would tell these women anything to get what he wanted. I wouldn't trust anything he said to them as being honest or truthful.

10. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

With no kid he could divorce his wife and not have to shell out child support payments. I don't know if that's why, but it would be a legitimate motive. JMO

11. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

The cost of justice in the Ross Harris hot-car murder case

» Full report on the trial’s unusual expenses

It cost more than a half-million dollars to send Harris to prison for good. He was sentenced to life without the possiblity of parole on Dec. 5 after being convicted of intentionally killing his 22-month-old son, Cooper, by leaving him in a hot SUV in June.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/the-c...s-hot-car-murder-case/ak49cZjI5IRBgGDIKQy0HN/

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/how...e-hot-car-murder-case/pPW0NOdD6Es3NwYLW37R4N/

Scoobie, GarAndMo49, Steve and 4 others like this.
  12. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Harris, 36, is now being housed at Valdosta State Prison, according to the state Department of Corrections’ website. The prison, located in Lowndes County, has 10 general population units with 500 beds and six mental health units with 264 beds. The detention center provides work details for orderlies, grounds maintenance, horticulture, laundry, food service, trash, barbers and aides.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/ross-harris-gets-haircut-and-new-prison-home/smkL1Y3YtGKM3wzn6z9EFO/

IMO unfortunately, no mention of pliers, water-boarding or digging ditches - but at least his cell, does not include a cell to chit-chat & send dirty pics to girls

walkie-talkie, Steve, spike and 3 others like this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Ross Harris launches appeal of murder conviction

Justin Ross Harris on Tuesday launched the appeal of his hot-car murder conviction, alleging that prejudicial testimony admitted by the court made it an “absolute impossibility” for him to receive a fair trial.

The motion for a new trial, filed by Harris’ legal team, is the first step of what is likely to be a lengthy appellate process. The motion condemns court rulings made before and during the sensational trial, such as a decision that prevented the defense from attacking the credibility of Cobb County police officers involved in the investigation.

Staley Clark should have allowed Harris to be tried separately for the three charges involving the teenage girl, because her testimony was too inflammatory, the motion said. It also said the jury should not have been allowed to hear evidence of Harris’ sexual dalliances with the other women because prosecutors “made no connection whatsoever between these specific acts of infidelity and an intent to murder his child.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/ros...eal-murder-conviction/Hbuss1IPrWoSQJl6zaOn9N/

walkie-talkie, spike, Steve and 2 others like this.
  14. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

I never knew that the Judge made the defense give the State Dr Diamond's notes. It appears the defense didn't want to chance major problems with Dr Diamond if the State used his own notes against him. I thought that notes like that are covered under attorney client privilege/work product.

15. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

Here's some information about Georgia's expert witness rules.

Rules Regarding Lawyer-Expert Communications, Draft Expert Witness Reports, Expert Witness Notes, Etc. in Georgia

Attorney-expert communications unrelated to an expert’s report are not subject to discovery “to the extent that the correspondence contains the opinion work product of the attorney.” See 1-9 LN Practice Guide GA Pretrial Civil Procedure § 9.09 (2014). Draft reports and attorney-expert communications that occur while preparing the report “are considered trial preparation materials discoverable only by showing the party seeking discovery has a substantial need of the materials and is unable to obtain the equivalent of the materials without undue hardship.” See id.; see also McKinnon v. Smock, 434 S.E.2d 92, 93 (Ga. Ct. App. 1993).

I'm not sure that the State had "a substantial need of the materials" and they couldn't get any "needed materials" though a deposition.

http://www.testifyingtraining.com/expert-witness-rules-laws-procedure-georgia/

16. Ranch

Ranch Well-Known Member

17. Lambchop

Lambchop Administrator Staff Member

As a juror I would think they made the connection themselves that he was too preoccupied with texting these women to pay any attention to what he should have been focused on.....like his responsibility as a father.

18. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

My mind (or maybe my heart) cannot separate any of the things Harris did that day. He was sexting/texting from early morning, while he got Cooper ready for school. while they were driving & eating. Parental duty, business & monkey business over-lapped.

19. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Dateline NBCis doing a show on Ross Harris
    "Instead of going from here to here, I went straight to work." #Dateline Friday 10/9c

20. Looking4you

Looking4you Active Member

Lmao ...you crack me up. Hehe

noZme, Steve, Cousin Dupree and 3 others like this.