1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

WA CORRYN RAYNEY: Murdered in Kings Park, WA - 2007

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by MarlyWings, May 11, 2015.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This is great news!!

Cold case review to reinvestigate Corryn Rayney murder

May 11, 2015

EIGHT years after mother-of-two Corryn Rayney was found buried upside down in a family park, police are hoping a fresh review led by “a fresh pair of eyes” might finally be able to determine what happened to the Perth legal figure.

Mrs Rayney, a Supreme Court registrar leading a seemingly comfortable life in Perth, disappeared on August 7, 2007 after attending her weekly bootscooting class.

Her car was found abandoned a week later and a trail of oil from the vehicle led police to her shallow grave.

In the bushland of Kings Park, Mrs Rayney’s body was found buried head down, her dancing boots damaged from apparently being dragged along the ground.

Detectives were unable to determine a cause of death at the time, but they had only one suspect — Mrs Rayney’s high profile barrister husband.

[​IMG]

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...yn-rayney-murder/story-fns0kb1g-1227350558532

MULDER, Kimster and Lily like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Pretty lady!

Is her husband still a barrister?

MULDER and Lily like this.
  3. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

No he's not Kimster. He resigned back in 2012.

Rayney no longer practising as lawyer

19 Dec 2012

Barrister Lloyd Rayney has given an undertaking to WA's Legal Practice Board that he has stopped working as a lawyer.

In a brief statement, the board said Mr Rayney had also agreed to give it 42 days notice if he intended to engage in legal practice again.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-19/rayney-stops-practising-as-lawyer/4436836

MULDER, Lily and Kimster like this.
  4. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

5. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

The victim: Corryn Rayney

July 13, 2012,

A smiling colleague, a devoted mother, and compassionate friend: in the years since Corryn Rayney’s death in 2007 there has been no shortage of these descriptions of the 44-year-old.

But perhaps the best accounts were found in the flood of tributes after her death.

Day after day, The West Australian’s death notices built a picture of a deeply spiritual woman who was admired as much for her kind nature as for the respect she held in Perth’s legal fraternity.

Law firms, court colleagues, best friends, her church group and even the local grocer published tributes to the Como mother of two.

From WA’s judiciary to her friends at a Bentley boot-scooting class, people celebrated her character and expressed disbelief in her loss.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/14225410/

MULDER and Lily like this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I still think her hubby had her killed. And that the cops bungled the case against him very, very badly. It's a shame they did so, but I'm hoping the new law regarding double jeopardy one day may lead to a retrial.

MarlyWings and MULDER like this.
  7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

That court document linked above is VERY worth reading... as is the finding, in which the judge says:

The accused has engaged in discreditable conduct including
    knowingly arranging for illegal telephone interception, making a false
    declaration and deliberately giving false evidence to a court while on oath.
    The evidence raises suspicion; in some instances quite strong suspicion.
    But discreditable conduct does not prove guilt, and suspicion, even strong
    suspicion, falls well short of proof beyond reasonable doubt.

I think the police were so bent on proving LR killed Corryn with his own hands, at the family home, that they ruined the case against him.

It's far more likely he had someone else do it, and merely directed things. Whether this can ever be proved, I actually doubt. But I'll never believe he had nothing to do with it.

MarlyWings likes this.
  8. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Corryn Rayney murder: Sex offender linked to case denies involvement

June 21, 2015

A SEX offender linked to the unsolved murder of Corryn Rayney says he had “nothing to do with it” and his connections to the crime are just a coincidence.

Yet, Allon Lacco said he regularly fantasised about “killing” people and wrestled constantly with the “demons” inside him.

He also admitted he used to sell drugs in the Bentley carpark Ms Rayney was last seen and once worked at Kings Park — the location the mother-of-two’s body was found.

“I didn’t kill her,” Mr Lacco, a career criminal once dubbed a “monster” in the WA Supreme Court after the sexual assault of an 11-year-old girl, said. “At the end of the day I sleep peacefully.

“I have nothing to hide.”

The comments come as the defence team for Lloyd Rayney, who was acquitted of his wife’s murder during a 2012 trial, said they recently handed over an analysis detailing why a fresh look at Mr Lacco was warranted in the cold case review

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...nies-involvement/story-fnj94ldc-1227407489685

Lily and Kimster like this.
  9. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

In the 2008 interview, police alleged Mr Lacco was paid $25,000 to dispose of Ms Rayney’s body after she was killed.

Mr Lacco’s 1989 bashing and sexual assault of an 11-year-old girl as she slept in her Leederville home happened just weeks after he raped a 29-year-old woman as she lay in bed next to her two-year-old son. Just months before Ms Rayney was murdered, Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan warned Mr Lacco was a “high” risk of reoffending after bashing a woman who was, like Corryn, in her early 40s.

^ from the article linked by Marly. bbm

I wonder how the police came to allege such a specific amount.

And while drastic changes in MO are not unknown in serial rapists, Corryn wasn't raped. She was murdered, then buried. For a guy who wasn't worried about leaving his rape victims alive, the burial of a victim (even allowing that it's possible he killed her before he had the chance to rape..) is kind of a strange leap of behaviour. Not impossible. Just, if so, quite odd.

He's a good suspect, though. Just imo not quite as good as Rayney.

MarlyWings and Kimster like this.
  10. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

And why can't they DNA test that "long hair" found at the scene???? Has it been lost?

MAKO has been all over Lacco for years. I am so glad this organisation exists.. note how in one report, they did a flyer drop to warn residents he'd moved into an area near a school.

The collection of articles at this link is really disturbing. Interesting that Lacco is described as a well known "standover man" - ie, thug for hire?

http://www.mako.org.au/allon_lacco.html

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    MarlyWings and Kimster like this.
  11. Kimster

You've made a really good point, Lily! I was hoping this case was close to resolve, but now I'm concerned they are barking up the wrong tree.

Justice for Corryn! :praying:

12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I will not fall from over with shock, if it turns out Lacco and/or Ivan Eades were hired to dispose of Corryn, or that it was paid hit from the get-go. There's evidence to suggest Eades was hanging around the Rayney's home and street, at the time she died - and two phone calls from the street's pay phone to Eades & Lacco's residence. Though this may have occurred because the street was en route to a local bottle shop.. I'm not a great believer in coincidence when it comes to murder cases.

I don't think the crime against Corryn fits Lacco's personal MO for crimes he committed of his own volition -- but it would fit a paid hit. Not sure about Eades' personal MO yet, there's less info available on him.

I have to eyeball the comments of the lead investigator into Eades' possible involvement, saying he "didn't know" if Eades' home had been searched. Cripes, if he doesn't know, who would? CYA mode...

Kimster likes this.
  13. Kimster

I was wondering in the back of my mind about the possibility of a paid hit. Good to know it wasn't too far-fetched! :cheers:

14. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Justice is coming Corryn!!

Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan to update Corryn Rayney cold case review

July 01, 2015

IT IS one of WA’s most notorious unsolved crimes - the murder of Corryn Rayney.

Now, after almost eight years since the Supreme Court registar’s death, police say they have new leads.

WA Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan revealed today “fresh investigative and forensic opportunities” have been identified by the cold-case review team which was set up to reinvestigate Mrs Rayney’s murder.

He told a press conference in Perth today that these new leads revolved “around DNA”.

Today, Mr O’Callaghan announced that more than a dozen local police, two interstate investigators and a UK forensic company have been tasked to carry out the re-investigation code named Operation Delve.

Thirteen WA Police investigators, forensic officers and analysts have been selected by Assistant Commissioner Gary Budge to work on Operation Delve.

An experienced homicide investigator from Queensland and a detective inspector from NSW will also join the team, with one already arrived and the other due in WA next month.

Mr O’Callaghan defended WA Police and the decision not to have a completely independent inquiry, which Mr Rayney has repeatedly called for.

“We are the WA Police, we are responsible for investigating murders in this state, I’m not standing in the way of any other type of independent inquiry that someone might want to create,” he said.

“But I’m getting on with the job of investigating murder, that’s what I’m charged with doing and that’s what I’m going to do as Commissioner of Police.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...cold-case-review/story-fns0kb1g-1227423451702

Lily likes this.
  15. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Lily likes this.
  16. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Of course he is. I hope they get some better evidence this time.

17. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Trial date set for Rayney defamation case

May 18, 2016 2:14pm

A trial date has been set for a multi-million-dollar defamation case by Lloyd Rayney against the state of Western Australia almost a decade after the barrister's estranged wife was murdered.

Mr Rayney is suing the WA government for being named by a senior police officer in 2007 as the prime and only suspect in the murder of Supreme Court registrar Corryn Rayney, who was found buried head-first at Kings Park.

He was found not guilty of murdering the mother-of-two in 2012 and a subsequent appeal was also dismissed.

A court hearing was held on Wednesday and a six-week trial was set, starting on February 27.

But a dispute remains about whether the case should be tried before a jury, with Mr Rayney's lawyer, Martin Bennett, indicating he opposed the idea.

Even if a jury does hear the case, an order of damages will be determined by a judge.

Mr Bennett estimated it would cost about $1 million just for a six-week trial for each party.

The matter will return to court on August 16.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...l/news-story/64b4b9fc2fd15c75b797a42af8b6931a

18. fox68

fox68 Member

Well given that the Police say they cannot afford to focus on only 1 suspect, (for both professional and legal consequences) why was he publicly announced as such? This does not mean I think Mr Rayney might be innocent, but innocent until proven guilty for any suspect isn't it?

19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Wrongly accused of wife's death, then a $2.7m payout - now Aussie barrister wants more

A prominent Australian criminal barrister who was accused and acquitted of murdering his wife has had his bid for millions more in damages for defamation stayed while he appeals findings of professional misconduct in Western Australia.

Lloyd Patrick Rayney, a former public prosecutor, was awarded a record-breaking $A2.6 million (approximately $NZ2.7m) defamation payout in 2017 after a judge ruled he had been defamed when a police officer said he was the "prime" and "only" suspect in his wife Corryn Rayney's 2007 death.

In Australia, police officers can be sued for defamation if they are insufficiently careful with their language.

And the highly technical nature of defamation law means that they can be held accountable for not only what they actually say, but what the reasonable person might take that statement to mean.

That is one reason why officers are typically careful to distinguish between saying a person is simply a person of interest, suspected of a crime, or actually guilty of one.

Corryn Rayney's case remains unsolved. A cold-case review of her death was not made public.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austr...a-27m-payout--now-aussie-barrister-wants-more