1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

FL DEBORA JEAN HOWARD: Missing from Live Oak, FL - 24 Sept 1976 - Age 20

Discussion in 'Missing 1900 to 1979' started by Paradise, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Howard, circa 1976; George McCraney
    • Missing Since09/24/1976
    • Missing FromLive Oak, Florida
    • ClassificationEndangered Missing
    • Date of Birth07/20/1956 (62)
    • Age20 years old
    • Height and Weight5'5, 150 pounds
    • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionPossibly a Suwanee High School class ring.
    • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes. Some agencies spell Howard's first name "Deborah." Her nickname is Debbie. She has a mole or birthmark on her hip, and her teeth were in excellent condition at the time of her disappearance. She wears prescription eyeglasses.
    Details of Disappearance
    Howard last seen in Live City, Florida on September 24, 1976. She went to a Lake City, Florida bar with her boyfriend, George Allen McCraney, and some friends that night. According to McCraney, they returned to their Live Oak home and the next morning she packed some bags and left. She has never been heard from again.

McCraney was convicted of multiple violent offenses after Howard's disappearance. He is currently in prison serving a life sentence on unrelated charges of armed robbery, attempted rape and attempted murder. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

Authorities believe he was involved in Howard's disappearance and that she met with foul play, but he has never been charged. Her case remains unsolved.
    Investigating Agency
    • Suwannee County Sheriff's Office 386-362-2222
    Source Information
    http://charleyproject.org/case/debora-jean-howard

https://crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/debora-howard-has-been-missing-from-live-oaks-florida-since-september-24-1976.4223/#comment-4328

edited to add media link

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2018
    Akoya and spike like this.
  2. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

After 40 years, Suwannee County has suspect in missing persons case
    Deputies now suspect her then-boyfriend, who is serving life sentence
    By Steve Patrick - News4Jax digital managing editor
    Posted: 1:52 PM, September 24, 2018Updated: 2:24 PM, September 24, 2018
    [​IMG]

Live Oak High School yearbook photo of Debora Howard and Florida Department of Corrections photo of George McCraney

• Live Oak woman disappeared without a trace. Decades after Debora Howard went missing, the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office has reopened the case and identified a suspect, although they don't have enough evidence to charge him in the case.

Howard, known to her family and friends as Debbie, went missing two years after she graduated from Live Oak High School.

"On September 24th, 1976, she went to Lake City to a bar with her boyfriend and some friends of theirs," Suwannee County Deputy Jake Brooks told WCJB-TV in Gainesville.

The boyfriend that she was living with, George McCraney, told investigators at the time that she packed and left their home the next day without saying anything to anyone.

"The next morning the boyfriend told her momma she had packed up all her stuff and left town he didn't know where she went, which is totally unlike her because she was very close with her mother -- called her every day," Brooks told the TV station.

Four years after Howard disappeared, McCraney was arrested on an aggravated battery charge in Flagler County. Over the next 20 years, he was charged and convicted of sexual battery, attempted murder, armed robbery and other crimes in Leon County. McCraney, now 66, is serving a life sentence in prison.

Brooks confirmed to News4Jax that McCraney was the last person to see Howard alive, but that's all they have on him.

"We've spoken with him," Brooks told News4Jax. "He denies knowing anything about her whereabouts."

While the Sheriff's Office considers Brooks is considered a suspect they need much more before they can connect him to her disappearance.

"It's leaning towards a possible homicide for the young lady and, naturally, if it was my family member or anybody's family member that may have been killed intentionally and we don't know anything about it, I'd like to go forward with it, no matter how long it has been," Suwannee County Sheriff Sam St. John said.

Copyright 2018 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.
    • https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/suwannee-county-reopens-40-year-old-missing-persons-case
    Thanks to @Tammy for making me aware of this case.

Whatsnext, Akoya, spike and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jason Futch

Jason Futch TCCF Host, King of the Highway

Live Oak, Florida is my hometown. I was raised there; however just several months ago was the first time I heard of this case. I got to chat with Howard's sister on the Fly Creek page that I operate and have leant my assistance if needed. I hope her case sees some resolution and that her remains are eventually rrecovered.

4. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Gosh! I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY WOULD THINK GER BOYFRIEND DID IT?! Seems like an Upstanding citizen. Just... Misunderstood. Waste of precious Air.

Paradise likes this.