1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

EUROPE Dyatlov Pass: Mysterious Death of 9 Skiers on Russia's Ural Mountains, February 1959

Discussion in 'Europe: Cold Cases' started by Dobrev, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

Secret Soviet death rays. Yetis. Aliens. Just what did slaughter nine hikers on Siberia's Death Mountain in 1959?

article-2401175-1B4EE6F5000005DC-292_634x380.jpg

The Dyatlov Pass incident (Russian: Ги́бель тургру́ппы Дя́тлова) refers to the unsolved deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural Mountains in the Soviet Union (now Russia) between 1 February and 2 February 1959. The experienced trekking group, who were all from the Ural Polytechnical Institute, had established a camp on the slopes of Kholat Syakhl in an area now named in honor of the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov. During the night, something caused them to tear their way out of their tents and flee the campsite while inadequately dressed for heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures.

After the group's bodies were discovered, an investigation by Soviet Union authorities determined that six had died from hypothermiawhile the other three showed signs of physical trauma. One victim had a fractured skull; two others had major chest fractures. Additionally, another team member was missing her tongue and eyes. The investigation concluded that an "unknown compelling force" had caused the deaths. Numerous theories have been put forward to account for the unexplained deaths, including animal attacks, hypothermia, avalanche, infrasound-induced panic, military involvement, or some combination of these.

More at: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ered-hikers-Siberias-Death-Mountain-1959.html

2. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

3. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

4. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

The group's tomb at the Mikhajlov Cemetery in Yekaterinburg, Russia.

800px-Памятник_дятловцам_на_Михайловском_кладбище.jpg

5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

This is crazy. I'm trying to think, as a hiker/camper, what would make me frantically tear my way out from my tent?

Hearing a bear or other animal? No. You sit tight and possibly try to scare it away from the inside.
    Another human being? Unlikely. The middle of the freezing mountains isn't where I'd choose to operate as a psycho killer.
    If it wasn't for the "team member was missing her tongue and eyes", I'm 100% on the avalanche theory. Avalanche can absolutely cause skull and chest fractures. But there's almost always some evidence of avalanche. And if you're plowed over by one with enough power to crush your skull, you're probably going to be buried by it...

I'd be interested to learn more specifics about their deaths and condition of the campsite. I'm gonna do some looking around this weekend.

GarAndMo49, Kimster and Whatsnext like this.
  6. Whatsnext

Whatsnext Well-Known Member

There is a theory that the stove they used could be responsible for them first feeling dizzy, then panicking and leaving the tent the way they did. Dyatlov himself built it.
    But then again, why would they go so far away from their tent? This case is really baffling, here are some theories.(some are quite far fetched, some really crazy, lol)

https://dyatlovpass.com/theories

7. Kimster

Kimster Administrator Staff Member

This is what I was thinking. Perhaps they were experiencing hypothermia enough to get dizzy. The incident about the missing tongue and eyes could have been a predator.

8. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

Yes, and I wonder expect their tent to be completely buried if an avalanche had of happened too. Also, it looks like their ski's are completely up right, while the tent had come down by the time the campsite was found. I'm not sure that there is a logical explanation for this. Not without looking into some odd goings on.

The fact that Dubinina was missing her eyes and tongue..... both freaks me out and makes little sense.

9. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

Uhoh, I'm going down a rabbit hole whatsnext :p

It looked like dyatlov and a few others were trying to return to the campsite as their bodies were found several hundred meters away from the tree. :dunno:

10. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

Odd that whatever it was only took her eyes and tongue. I would have expected her entire body to be mauled. There were no other external injuries either that should have been caused by a predator.

11. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member

This is interesting: (from the wiki link up thread)

On 12 April 2018 the remains of Semyon Zolotarev were exhumated upon the initiative of journalists of the Russian tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda. Contradicting results were obtained: one of the experts stated that the character of the injuries resembled a person knocked down by a car, and the DNA analysis did not reveal any similarity to the DNA of living relatives. In addition, it turned out that the name of Semyon Zolotarev is not on the list of buried at the Ivanovskoye cemetery. Nevertheless, the reconstruction of the face along the exhumated skull coincides with the post-war photographs of Semyon, although journalists express suspicions that another person was hiding under the name of Semyon Zolotarev after the war.

12. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

The placement and condition of their bodies, some found as far as a kilometer-and-a-half (almost a mile) from the tent and buried under four meters (13 feet) of snow, were odd — to say the least.

Investigators found footprints in the snow of eight or nine people who were wearing socks, a single shoe or were barefoot. The footsteps led towards a dense forest but disappeared after 500 metres.

The first two bodies, of two men, barefoot and dressed only in their underclothes, were found at the edge of the forest near the remains of a fire. The next three bodies — of [expedition leader Igor] Dyatlov and another man and a woman — were found between the fire and the tent, suggesting that they had been trying to return to the tent. Autopsies failed to find any evidence of foul play. An inquest concluded that all five had died of hypothermia.

Two months later, however, the partially-dressed bodies of the other four members of the team were discovered in a forest ravine, not far from the first two bodies. They appeared to have suffered traumatic pressure or crush injuries, and the tongue of one had been ripped out. Otherwise there were no external injuries, but tests conducted on their bodies and clothing showed small traces of radiation.

Why, for example, did the skiers flee the relative safety of the tent? Why did they leave their belongings (including warmer clothing) behind? Why did some of them simply freeze to death, while others showed signs of internal trauma? Who or what removed the tongue of one of the victims? Why were there traces of radiation on their clothing?

Moreover, the crushing weight of the four meters of snow under which the last four bodies in the Dyatlov group were found — possibly deposited there by an avalanche — could account for their internal injuries.

You may object that an avalanche doesn’t explain everything — the radioactivity found on some of the bodies, for example. Granted. But neither does a Yeti attack, a Kármán vortex street, nor, given that we don’t even have proof that they were in the vicinity when the skiers met their fate, unidentified flying balls of fire.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/12/28/dyatlov-pass-incident/

GarAndMo49, Whatsnext and Dobrev like this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I'm not a very superstitious person, but hiking/skiing from DEATH MOUNTAIN to Gora Otorten (which means “DON'T GO THERE” in Mansi).... well $hit.

There are some post-mortem photos in this YouTube video. Don't watch if you don't want to see that. Interesting info tho.

GarAndMo49, Whatsnext and Dobrev like this.
  14. Dobrev

Dobrev Well-Known Member