1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

DYLAN GROENE: United States vs. Joseph Edward Duncan III - *GUILTY* *Sentenced to Death*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, May 9, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Shasta Groene calls on lawmakers, starts Change.org petition

Shasta Groene recently made a Change.org petition asking for signatures to encourage lawmakers to pass a law regarding strikes for sex offenders.

Groene survived a North Idaho massacre by Joseph Duncan. Duncan snatched Groene and her 9-year-old brother, Dylan, from their home after killing their older brother, mother and mother’s fiancé. Duncan traveled to a campsite in Montana for several weeks before killing Dylan and returning Shasta to Coeur d’Alene.

The petition reads:

“My name is Shasta Groene. I am 19 years old and I am seeking out a way for, not only my voice to be heard, but other victims. When I was 8, my mother, stepfather and 13-year-old brother, Slade, were murdered, and my brother, Dylan, and I were kidnapped from our homes by a level 3 sex offender named Joseph Edward Duncan the third. He was charged many times before my situation and was let out again and again. I would like this petition to change that. One strike for a sex offender should be enough! Never let them back on the streets to reoffend. This isn’t a disease! It’s a sick twisted person who cannot be helped or fixed. The system failed me and my family and I’m going to do whatever it takes to put an end to the psychos running the streets.”

The petition calls for 2,500 signatures. It states the petition will be delivered to Governor Butch Otter and Senator Mike Crapo.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/koot...lawmakers-starts-changeorg-petition/340820476

Mel70, GarAndMo49, fran and 6 others like this.
  2. spike

spike Bronze Member

3. Scoobie

Scoobie Director Staff Member

One wonders why he has not been put to death yet. I'm not fond of the death penalty, I think it is an easy way out. But in this case, it is apparent this POS is broken and he feels no remorse, no conscious. There is no point in dragging out his discomfort, because I don't believe he feels any. Just be done with him.

4. spike

spike Bronze Member

Sometimes wish there was worse than death for these scumbags. IMO

Mel70, Scoobie, fran and 1 other person like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Beaumont ceremony recalls Anthony Martinez case, police investigators

The Beaumont Police Department will dedicate a memorial plaque April 3 to remember the kidnap and murder of 10-year-old Anthony Martinez -- and as a tribute to two police investigators who worked on the case.

The ceremony is scheduled from 6 to 7 p.m. outside the police station at 660 Orange Ave., according to a police news release. It marks the 20th anniversary of the crime and coincides with Riverside County's observance of Victims' Rights Week. Family members are expected to attend.

http://www.pe.com/articles/martinez-825986-april-remember.html

spike and GarAndMo49 like this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Child-killer Joseph Duncan still fighting death sentence

Although child-killer Joseph Duncan waived his right to appeal his triple death sentence for the 2005 kidnapping, torture and murder of a 9-year-old North Idaho boy, Duncan, through a team of attorneys, is now pressing a series of continued challenges.

That’s in part because more than two years after Duncan waived his appeals, he changed his mind. Courts said it was too late for his direct appeal, but he’s now in the midst of the next stage, his habeas filings, in which his attorneys can challenge aspects of his conviction and sentencing on constitutional grounds. These challenges start in the U.S. District Court but can be then appealed again to the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.

Duncan’s case already has been to the U.S. Supreme Court twice; the high court refused to review it each time.

Last week, federal prosecutors in Idaho filed their legal arguments responding to Duncan’s 231-page “motion for collateral relief,” which his attorneys filed last winter.

None of Duncan’s contentions have merit,” prosecutors wrote in their conclusion, after going through, in detail, Duncan’s arguments on various legal and procedural grounds.

Duncan’s attorneys are raising arguments ranging from questioning the constitutionality of the death penalty to suggestions that Spokane attorney Roger Peven’s early withdrawal from Duncan’s case due to unrelated personal problems sabotaged Duncan’s case – even though the confessed murderer and child rapist pleaded guilty to all the charges, including multiple murder charges.

They’re suggesting a possible “miscarriage of justice” because Duncan’s history of being abused as a child wasn’t detailed to jurors. Duncan himself refused to allow that evidence to be presented, saying he didn’t want his past experiences presented as an “excuse for his behavior” and that childhood abuse he suffered was “irrelevant.”

There are other claims Duncan is raising, including that a 2015 Supreme Court case changed the interpretation of one of the three charges under which he received the death penalty; and that video evidence shown in court of Duncan torturing his young victim, Dylan Groene, was prejudicial and shouldn’t have been shown.

Prosecutors responded that the graphic videos showed exactly what jurors needed to see “in order to decide if a defendant should receive the greatest punishment,” including the presence of aggravating factors such as committing the offense in a “heinous, cruel or depraved manner” and with a “vulnerable victim.” “Such evidence can be expected to be horrific,” the U.S. attorney’s office wrote. “They showed precisely what Duncan did.”

Now that the government has responded, Duncan’s lawyers have until Jan. 30 to file a reply. Then, Lodge could hold a hearing, or rule on the arguments as submitted. After his decision, further appeals could follow.

It’s part of a lengthy series of steps, guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, that must occur before a criminal defendant can be executed. Just three federal executions have been carried out since the federal death penalty was reinstated in 1988; the last one was in 2003.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/nov/04/child-killer-duncan-still-fighting-death-sentence/

Mel70, GarAndMo49, spike and 2 others like this.
  7. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

I'm so sick of this guy.
    :mad:
    fran

Mel70, Kimster, spike and 2 others like this.
  8. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I feel like Shasta doesn't get as much credit as she should. Definitely not as much as other abduction survivors. Maybe that's because of her home life before and her life after. But she is a strong, strong girl and deserves all the credit for getting her life back on track.

Miracle child Shasta Groene to abductor: 'I want him to hear from me that he's nothing'

Shasta Groene hopes to fulfill a promise she made to serial killer and sex offender Joseph Duncan III — on her terms.

"His last words to me were, 'Will you promise you'll come see me in jail?'" she said of the man who beat and killed three members of her family in May 2005.

In an interview last week with The Press, Shasta said she hopes federal prosecutors will allow her to come eye to eye with Duncan, who is on death row at an Indiana prison, as part of a documentary in the works. A book scheduled to be released as early as this fall is also intended to help bring closure to the horror story that gripped the nation. Shasta has not spoken to Duncan since he was arrested.

"I want him to hear from me that he's nothing," said Shasta, who is now 21 and engaged, lives in Nampa and has two boys and a third child on the way. "I want him to really understand he has no run of my life.

"He took everything from me as a child and tried to put me in a position that I didn't even love myself."

Shasta said she has wanted her survivor's voice to be heard through a book for a few years, but the births of sons Lorenzo, 2, and Omari, 10 months, postponed that until this year.

"It's totally for my own inner peace and to help others," said Shasta, who works as a laundry attendant at a hotel. "Money was not a factor in why I chose to write the book."

She said she remembers most of the horrific ordeal, including the murders and repeatedly being raped.

"When I started writing, it was hard to relive the memories," she said. "But I want the real story to be put out there and right now I'm in a spot where I'm content. In a couple years, I may not have the time. I feel like I'm ready now."

"I have forgiven Joseph Duncan — not in a way that it was OK for what he did, but in a way that I was going to stop letting it control my life," she said. "There were so many times I'd think about the situation and feel bad about not doing something, but I now definitely put the blame on where it belongs."

Shasta spent most of her teen years in jail on drug-related charges before being placed in a two-year rehabilitation program in Salt Lake City. She received her high school diploma from the Juniper Hills boarding school in St. Anthony.

She said she contemplated suicide often and spent time at a psychiatric hospital.

"I had quite the rodeo as a teen," she said. "I definitely didn't have a childhood growing up. Before Duncan came into my life, I had a hard childhood because my parents and brothers had drug addictions."

Those unimaginable childhood challenges made routine social interactions almost impossible.

"Having gone through what I did, I had a hard time keeping friends who understood where I was coming from,” Shasta said. “I was a hard person to be with, and I had a lot of trust issues. I had gotten to the point thinking that maybe this was what life was supposed to be like."

She said life began to change at 18 after she was released from the correctional facility and had her first son.

"I had to stop being angry because that's what led to my drug addiction," she said. "When I started to make it a learning experience, things began to fall back in place. When I had my own place in Nampa, owned a car and I was working, everything just felt better.

"My kids helped sway me away from drugs and alcohol, but it's something I still face every day," she said. "There's always people from the past who I run into trying to sway you back into that. It takes time to overcome."

Shasta said the books and documentary are in the works to leave a legacy for her family. An online Kickstarter fundraising campaign with a goal of at least $15,000 will fund the first run of printing, editing and a stipend for Shasta for her creative work. The campaign is at: https://kck.st/2lbKx11.

"Life has been quite a struggle for me over the years," the campaign states. "Most of the scars on my body have appeared to heal, the damage done to my mind and soul is a work in progress. My hope is to help myself heal through writing this book, and maybe encourage readers to hug their loved ones a little tighter a little longer."

Depending on the success of the campaign — which ends July 2, the 13th anniversary of Shasta’s freedom from Duncan — the documentary will be filmed later this year. As of Friday, the campaign had reached $3,811.

The documentary would include stops on the way back to the Indiana prison, including the Wolf Lodge property, Montana campsite and where Duncan and Shasta were caught on surveillance at a gas station.

"We'd go back to Indiana, whether she'd get into the prison or not," Sedlmayer said. "We want to take her on her journey so she can close the door. This is the way to take control over the murders and abduction.

"She was built to be a victim but is now the victor. She writes the history. Duncan just played a role."

http://www.cdapress.com/local_news/...ori_want_him_to_hear_from_me_that_hes_nothing

Uno2Much, Kimster, Lily and 2 others like this.
  9. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Not many people are able to overcome the challenges that she has had in life. She's a hero in my book.

10. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

GOOD! THEY'RE ALWAYS TRYING TO SAVE THEIR OWN A$$ES! BIG TOUGH GUYS! "BUNDY" WENT OUT A "WHINING B----"! NOT SO TOUGH NOW ARE YA TED?!

11. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

To this day it still pains me when I recall what this vile person did to that family and more so to Dylan and Shasta.
    All that big talk and he's still trying to stay alive. He's an evil, evil man and he's been on this earth too long as it is.
    It can't be too soon for me when they carry out his final sentence.

fran

12. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

IT TAKES WAYYYYY TOO LONG NOW!!! GO "OLD WEST" GUILTY!!! YOU'RE GOING TO BE HUNG AT "DAWN"!!! ANYTHING TO SAY?! DOSEN'T MATTER. I GUESS YOU'LL NEVER "JAY WALK" IN MY TOWN AGAIN.

fran likes this.
  13. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

EPITOMY OF THE WORD!!! ONE OF THOSE "EVIL TO THE CORE"!

fran likes this.
  14. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

SEX OFFENDER REGISTRATION HAS DONE NOTHING!!! KEEPING THEM IN "PRISON" TRY THAT!!

15. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THERE IS. BUT THAT'S ALL I'LL SAY.:)

16. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

He is APPARENTLY VERYYYY SLOOWWWW!!!! GUILTY! DEATH! FFWD 2 YRS.....3 A.M. WAIT! GUARD GET ME MY LAWRAH!I HATE TO SAY, He is one of the ONLY KILLERS to say "HIS PAST ABUSE WAS IRRELEVANT AND NO EXCUSE FOR HIS BEHAVIOR"! "Bundy" HAD A COUPLE @ THE END !!!! REALLY WEAK ONES TOO. He Taped His "Crime" to RELIVE IT OVER AND OVER!!! OHHHH THE 'KILLERS" CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!!! HUH! THE "VICTIMS" RIGHTS WEREN'T?! SO SICK OF YEARS ON DEATH ROW, THEN TO DIE OF NATURAL CAUSES. LIKE "Richard Ramirez" SINCE 1985. I WAS 15 FFS! HE DID HORRIFIC THINGS!

17. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

And Uhhhh... How is showing the "Video" Prejudicial?. SERIOUSLY !

18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Shasta went "missing" again from Idaho this weekend with her two kiddos. They were found safe the next day. Sounds like it was just a lack of communication and her roommate overreacted. And because of who she is, obviously police and the media were all over it. Luckily she's okay, but it was a scary day or so for a lot of people.

UPDATE: Nampa Police locate Groene and two children - https://www.idahopress.com/news/loc...cle_0359b5bb-4a80-5730-ac1a-c97cfa9b330e.html
    Nampa Police find Shasta Groene and her sons safe after going missing since Friday - https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/l...iday/277-ef145a59-976a-41af-b4ff-be14f98dea8d

Shasta's had a lot of struggles in her life. And now it sounds like the book she was writing isn't going to be released anymore either.
    She's never been the Elizabeth Smart, the Jaycee Dugard. The girls who come back and seemingly get their lives back on track with huge support structures. The ones who write books and become inspirations to the community. Not to say that those girls don't have their struggles either. But...
    Shasta has struggled. There's another side of this that people don't want to see. The ones who will always struggle with their demons. People want to know, "How is she doing?" And they have an answer they want to hear. "She's doing fine. As good as can be expected." They don't want to hear, "She's struggling. She's an addict. She's having a difficult time. She's in and out of rehab and jail."
    The support structures that these kids have around them when they get back is HUGE. And right now I'm thinking of Jayme Closs and her family and you know, I think she'll be alright. But they aren't all alright and people need to understand that.

Goodness I've been having way too many soapbox moments lately. I'm done.

noZme, Mel70 and Kimster like this.
  19. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

There was a boy who was kidnapped and kept for years and he really struggled after he escaped. He's passed away now. You probably can recall his name, but I can't recall it tonight for some reason. Very sad.

noZme, SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Mel70 like this.
  20. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Steven Stayner?