1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NC EBONEE SPEARS: Missing from Wilmington, NC - 15 January 2016 - Age 30

Discussion in 'Missing 2015 to Present' started by Akoya, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
    Uno2Much likes this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/32691/29/

NamUs MP # 32691
    Ebonee Spears
    [​IMG]
    New Hanover County, North Carolina
    30 to 31 year old black/african american female
    Case Report - NamUs MP # 32691

Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Ebonee
    Middle name Shanetta
    Last name Spears
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen January 15, 2016 22:45
    Date entered 02/25/2016
    Age last seen 30 to 31 years old
    Age now 32 years old
    Race Black/African American
    Ethnicity Other
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 63.0 to 64.0
    Weight (pounds) 140.0 to 150.0

Circumstances
    City Wilmington
    State North Carolina
    Zip code 28401
    County New Hanover
    Circumstances
    Missing person was last seen in the area of her residence on 01/15/2016. She was suffering from some sort of mental illness at the time she was last seen. Missing person was extremely paranoid and acting erratically.

Physical
    Hair color Black
    Head hair
    short to medium

Left eye color Brown
    Right eye color Brown
    Eye description
    Large eyes
    No known distinctive body features

Tattoos
    Butterfly tattoo on top of right foot and rose on right shoulder.

Clothing
    Blue jeans, burgundy or purple sweatshirt, and a pink toboggan.
    Footwear
    Brown Timberland style leather boots.

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Detective
    First name Lee
    Last name Odham
    Phone 910-343-3686
    Website
    Case number 2016-001807
    Date reported January 16, 2016
    Jurisdiction Local
    Agency Wilmington PD
    Address 1 615 Bess St.
    Address 2
    City Wilmington
    State North Carolina
    Zip code 28401

3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3697dfnc.html

3697DFNC - Ebonee Shanetta Spears
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Name: Ebonee Shanetta Spears
    Case Classification: Endangered Missing
    Missing Since: January 15, 2016
    Location Last Seen: Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina

Physical Description
    Date of Birth: May 12, 1985
    Race: Black/African American
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 140-150 lbs.
    Hair Color: Black
    Eye Color: Brown
    Nickname/Alias: Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Butterfly tattoo on top of right foot and rose on right shoulder.

Identifiers
    Dentals: Available
    Fingerprints: Available
    DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Blue jeans, burgundy or purple sweatshirt, and a pink toboggan.
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Brown Timberland style leather boots.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Ebonee was last seen in the area of her residence. She was suffering from some sort of mental illness at the time she was last seen. She was extremely paranoid and acting erratically.

Investigating Agency(s)
    Agency Name: Wilmington Police Department
    Agency Contact Person: Detective Lee Odham
    Agency Phone Number: 910-343-3686
    Agency E-Mail: N/A
    Agency Case Number: 2016-001807

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
    NamUs Case Number: 32691

Information Source(s)
    NamUs
    Port City Daily

Admin Notes
    Added: 3/14/2017; Last Updated: 3/14/2017

Uno2Much likes this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Uno2Much likes this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

WNCN.com
    Ebonee Spears disappeared Friday, January 15 (WECT). WILMINGTON, N.C. ...

[​IMG]

Uno2Much likes this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Port City Daily
    Spears' missing person poster posted just a block away from her home

[​IMG]

Uno2Much likes this.
  8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Uno2Much likes this.
  9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Uno2Much likes this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Uno2Much likes this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.wect.com/story/34257318/a-year-lost-where-is-ebonee-spears

A year lost: Where is Ebonee Spears?
    By: Marissa Hundley, Reporter

Ebonee Spears was last seen January 15, 2016 outside her apartment. (Source: Harriet Rivers)

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

It's been one year since the disappearance of Ebonee Spears. She was last seen outside her apartment on Fourth and Nixon streets in January 2016. Wilmington Police Detective Lee Odham says Spears had asked a man she knew for a cigarette.

But since then, Odham isn't any closer to finding the now-31-year-old woman.

"I've come up with very little information as to where she could be or might be," Odham said.

Odham has poured over the same information – and can't figure out why, in the days and weeks before she vanished, Spears' behavior had drastically changed.

"Erratic," Odham said of her behavior. "Very paranoid."

Odham said Spears was taking an anti-depressant and medication for lupus.

A few weeks before her disappearance, Odham said Spears checked into a hotel in downtown Wilmington, a few minutes away from her apartment. Odham said Spears accused staff of stealing her things – accusations that were unfounded.

On January 14, the day before she disappeared, Odham said Spears drove to police headquarters – erratic and distraught. She met her parents and boyfriend there.

An officer called EMS, and Spears' parents say they spoke over the phone with her psychiatrist. In the end, Spears did not go to the hospital.

Fast-forward to the next night: January 16, 2016.

Odham said Spears walked to two places between 7:30 and 8 p.m.

First, she walked to the Community Boys and Girls Club on Nixon Street and frantically told staff members someone was following her.

"The way that she described it, was that she was acting erratically and paranoid and thought someone was trying to get her," Odham explained.

Employees, however, saw no one following Spears.

Then Spears walked into the police department lobby, where she was recorded on surveillance video asking to use the phone. When it didn't work, Odham said Spears was frustrated and walked out.

Three hours later – Spears was gone.

"Paranoia can be caused by legitimate threats or mental breakdown and I don't know what we're looking at here," Odham said.

Police are looking into reports that a man in Georgia could be responsible for her disappearance.

"Ebonee may have been involved with a male – a boyfriend who she had taken a large amount of money from who was incarcerated in Georgia," Odham said. "I would like at this point than to do nothing more than get a name for him."

Odham said the FBI has since opened a case on Spears, investigating all leads involving a possible kidnapping across state lines. Agents have searched in Georgia, but with no luck.

"We're back to square one," said Harriet Rivers, Spears' mother.

Exhausted, Rivers says she tries her best to stay hopeful for Aniya, Spears' 14-year-old daughter who is in her first year of high school.

"I look at these pictures and I look at Aniya and all I can tell her is it's going to be ok," Rivers said. "We'll get through it. It's going to be ok."

Odham believes there are people who have valuable information who have not come forward. If you know anything, you're encouraged to call Wilmington Police at (910) 343-3600. Your tip can remain anonymous.

Uno2Much likes this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://wncn.com/2016/02/26/missing-nc-woman-seen-at-police-headquarters-day-before-disappearance/

Missing NC woman seen at police headquarters day before disappearance
    By Marissa Hundley, WECTPublished: February 26, 2016, 6:55 am

WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) – Ebonee Spears disappeared Friday, Jan. 15 and was last seen on surveillance video, trying to make a phone call inside the lobby at police headquarters. Now, WECT has learned Ebonee was also there the night before.

“She looked worn out, looked like she was about ready to drop any second,” said Harriet Rivers, Ebonee’s mother.

Rivers says the 30-year-old Spears, who was taking an anti-depressant, was not herself the night before she disappeared, so she took Ebonee down the street to police headquarters to get help. She says EMS was called and an evaluation said Ebonee was fine to go home.

RELATED: $5,000 reward offered for information on missing NC woman

“They said she was okay, and wasn’t a threat to herself or anybody else,” Rivers said.

Police, however, said officers and EMS advised Ebonee’s parents to have Ebonee involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.

Though Ebonee left that night, it wasn’t long before she was back inside police headquarters. This time, investigators say she asked to make a phone call, but when the phone didn’t work, Ebonee acted frustrated and walked out.

“She just kept walking back and forth,” Rivers says, who watched the surveillance video. “Walking back and forth.”

Police have not released the video out of what they say is compassion for Ebonee’s family. Rivers, however, says she wants the footage out. She says it shows what Ebonee was last seen wearing and how she was acting. She says Ebonee was wearing a white t-shirt, jeans and a purple hoodie sweatshirt with the word “staff” on the back.

“If they are trying to be compassionate to me they would release whatever so the public can see and help find Ebonee,” she says. “They’re not being compassionate to me, I don’t feel like. If nothing to hide, nothing to cover up, release it.”

Wilmington police say Ebonee was last seen around 10 p.m. Jan. 15, by a man outside her apartment on Nixon Street.

There are also surveillance cameras outside the New York Mini Mart at 602 Nixon Street, which sits between Ebonee’s home and the police station, where she may have walked by. A clerk who says he works there every day said that police never asked to view the video.

“They dropped the ball,” Rivers said. “They really dropped the ball at the beginning.”

WECT asked police a number of questions through email, including if they asked to see that mini mart surveillance video.

“The mother is making allegations we did not do our job,” said the detective. “I have no further comment for the media on these questions.”

A Wilmington Police Department spokeswoman said she hopes to release still images of Ebonee inside the police station soon.

Uno2Much likes this.
  13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/01/13/...nt-missing-police-say-search-is-still-active/

NEARLY ONE YEAR SINCE EBONEE SPEARS WENT MISSING, POLICE SAY SEARCH IS STILL ACTIVE
    By
    Taylor Yakowenko
    -
    January 13, 2017 6:01 PM

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Sunday marks one year since Ebonee Spears disappeared. The Wilmington mother was last seen on January 15, 2016.

“Almost exactly a year ago Ebonee Spears was reported missing by her mother,” said Wilmington Police Spokeswoman Cathryn Lindsay.

- Advertisement -
    According to police, 30-year-old Spears was caught on camera at Wilmington Police Headquarters, and then later that night a witness saw her at Taylor Homes.

“It’s still an active and open investigation,” said Lindsay.

Lindsay said initially police got a number of tips on where Spears might be. But that isn’t the case anymore.

Related Article: Investigators searching for missing man last seen Saturday
    “It’s really slowed down so it’s not quite on people’s mind as much as it probably should be,” Lindsay said.

She said when a case has been open as long as this, it’s important to keep the public informed and interested.

“These cases, they’re kind of sad because it does seem like the public forgets about them. The families don’t. We know our detectives, they don’t. They take a lot of this stuff very personal,” said Lindsay.

Lindsay said no matter how much time has passed, police still ask if anyone knows absolutely anything contact them.

Sunday at Carolina Gymnastics Academy there will be an event from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. to spread hope and awareness in honor of Ebonee Spears.

Uno2Much likes this.
  14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/11/20/...wpd-boys-and-girls-club-before-going-missing/

UNSOLVED: EBONEE SPEARS SEEN AT WPD, BOYS & GIRLS CLUB BEFORE GOING MISSING
    By
    Hannah Patrick
    -
    November 20, 2017 12:00 AM

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Almost two years ago, a mother from Wilmington went missing.

From posters to water bottles, Harriett Rivers has spent nearly two years putting her daughter’s face everywhere.

“I recently started this thing with my coworkers with water bottles,” Rivers said. “Anybody that I know that’s traveling giving them some water bottles and fliers with Ebonee’s picture on it.”

Rivers reported Spears missing on Januray 15, 2016.

“She was fine,” Rivers said. “She had meetings set up that day; just a normal day planned.”

Related Article: Clergy gathering Thursday to encourage ‘cease fire’
    Rivers said things started getting strange that afternoon.

“Between 5:30 and 7, she was walking down Nixon Street,” Rivers said.

Rivers said Spears’s friend, who works at the Community Boys & Girls Club, saw her and noticed something was off.

“So he dropped her off at the club and told her to wait right there,” Rivers said.

Instead, Rivers said Spears walked to the Wilmington Police Department.

“She actually used the phone,” WPD Lt. Kelvin Hargrove said. “The front desk officer showed her where the phone was, because we got a phone out in the lobby. At one point she got upset and started cursing and left out of the building.”

Hargrove said that happened around 8 p.m.

“The front desk officer then went and checked the phone to make sure the phone was working, because he didn’t know why she was so upset,” Hargrove said.

Hargrove said Spears was then seen at the Boys & Girls Club again.

“She was last seen leaving the Boys & Girls Club headed toward home at 8:30 or 9 o’clock,” Hargrove said.

Rivers said later that night, Spears talked to a man at her apartment.

“Quarter to 10 Ebonee was outside her apartment, and she approached him for a cigarette,” Rivers said, “and he said he had his last one, and he said Ebonee mentioned something about walking up to the store to get something.”

Rivers said that was the last time anyone saw her.

“All of it’s strange,” Rivers said.

Hargrove said detectives interviewed several people Spears talked to that day.

“One of the people that she talked to stated that she was on new medicine and it was messing with her,” Hargrove said.

Spears had recently been diagnosed with lupus.

“It took like a different toll on her with the anxiety and the depression,” Rivers said.

Rivers never saw Spears that day, but she talked to her on the phone after she never showed up for dinner.

“She said, ‘No. I’ve already eaten a salad. I’m fine, and I just stepped outside to get some air,'” Rivers said.

Rivers said that was a red flag.

“Because I know Ebonee, and she doesn’t like cold weather, so No. 1, she’s not going to be walking up and down the street,” Rivers said.

Rivers said Spears had not been acting like herself all that week.

“That Thursday she was acting erratic,” Rivers said. “The Ebonee I know and love so much, she was a responsible person.”

But Rivers said her daughter never talked about taking her own life.

“Even in her weakest moments, no,” Rivers said. “If she had taken her own life, I think her body or something would have been found by now.”

That’s why Rivers thinks her daughter’s disappearance is suspicious.

“To me, I think so,” Rivers said. “No clothes, no money, no ID, no nothing. ‘Cause if she was just going to walk away, why take the time to lock your apartment, though? You wouldn’t have cared.”

It is a mystery that weighs on Rivers every single day.

“More than anybody could ever imagine,” Rivers said.

It is a weight that only a mother could understand, but as a mother and grandmother, she says she has to keep pushing.

“So life goes on, but in the midst of all that, you’re thinking, I’m able to eat. I’m able to sleep. I am able to do this,” she said. “Is Ebonee able to do these same things? Is she being taken care of? Is she alright?”

These questions keep her making water bottles. It is a mystery she will continue telling, a picture she will continue showing until Ebonee’s disappearance is no longer unsolved.

If you have any information, call Wilmington Police or use Text-a-Tip.

Uno2Much likes this.
  15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.wect.com/story/31329420/ebonee

Boyfriend of missing woman Ebonee Spears on disappearance: "It just doesn't add up"
    By: Marissa Hundley, Reporter

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

For the first time, we're hearing from the father and boyfriend of missing Wilmington mom Ebonee Spears who disappeared Jan.15.

"I just seen her that morning and then she disappeared," says Antonio McKoy, Spears's boyfriend. "It just doesn't add up."

McKoy says he's barely slept since Spears vanished six weeks ago. Mckoy says he drove to Ebonee's apartment about an hour after police say she was last seen there. Her car was in the driveway, her purse inside, but no Ebonee.

"I was wondering like she doesn't go nowhere without that purse," he says. "I looked in it, the license I remember being there there was cards in it, bank cards."

Three hours earlier, around 8 p.m., Ebonee was at Wilmington Police Headquarters less than half a mile from her home. Police say she asked to make a phone call, but when the phone didn't work, she acted frustrated and walked out.

Ebonee's father, Alfonso Rivers, however, says the five-minute long surveillance video he saw tells a different story.

"From what I've seen on that film over and over again she was asking for help and they turned their back on my daughter," Rivers says. "I couldn't hear the audio but I could see my daughter, I know my daughter. I know she was asking for help, I know she was."

Wilmington Police say they do not plan to release that surveillance video. Ebonee was also at headquarters the night before her disappearance.

In a 911 dispatch call, a police officer says, "Her father just came in to the front desk and said that she was having a breakdown and said that she just needs to be admitted."

Rivers says Ebonee was on an anti-depressant for Lupus and had been acting strange in the days leading up to that night.

"She was confused, she was saying people were stealing things from her, following her around," he says.

16. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Rivers said Spears’s friend, who works at the Community Boys & Girls Club, saw her and noticed something was off.

“She was last seen leaving the Boys & Girls Club headed toward home at 8:30 or 9 o’clock,”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Community Boys & Girls Club - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

[​IMG]

Community Boys' & Girls' Club
    Youth club in Wilmington, North Carolina

Address: 901 Nixon St, Wilmington, NC 28401

17. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

901 Nixon Street, Wilmington, North Carolina

[​IMG]

901 Nixon St, Wilmington, NC 28401

18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Three hours earlier, around 8 p.m., Ebonee was at Wilmington Police Headquarters less than half a mile from her home. Police say she asked to make a phone call, but when the phone didn't work, she acted frustrated and walked out.

Wilmington Police Headquarters
    615 Bess St, Wilmington, NC 28401

[​IMG]

615 Bess St, Wilmington, NC 28401

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

There are also surveillance cameras outside the New York Mini Mart at 602 Nixon Street, which sits between Ebonee’s home and the police station, where she may have walked by. A clerk who says he works there every day said that police never asked to view the video.

New York Mini Mart
    Address: 602 Nixon St, Wilmington, NC 28401
    Hours:
    Open ⋅ Closes 10PM

[​IMG]
    602 Nixon St, Wilmington, NC 28401

New York Mini Mart - Convenience Stores in Wilmington, NC - Street View

[​IMG]

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member