1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CANADA EMMA FILLIPOFF: Missing from Victoria, BC - 28 Nov 2012 - Age 27

Discussion in 'Missing 2010 to 2014' started by RedRose, May 29, 2017.

1. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

2. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Emma Fillipoff was 27 when she disappeared on Nov. 28, 2012. Photograph By Victoria police
    New clue emerges in disappearance of Emma Fillipoff

Sian Thomson / Campbell River Courier-Islander

MAY 29, 2014 09:50 AM

There is a new lead in the November 2012 disappearance of Emma Fillipoff, who was last seen near the Empress Hotel in Victoria.

Fillipoff, 27 when she disappeared, was last seen around 7 p.m. Nov 28, 2012, just hours after she had called her mother Shelley in Ottawa to ask her to fly out and bring her home. Her mother missed Emma by three hours.

“By all accounts from the people who knew her, it sounds like she had a psychotic break or schizophrenia,” said her mother from Ottawa. She had recently gone home a triip to the West Coast to search for her daughter.

Emma used to work at the Royal Coachman Pub in Campbell River and investigators once thought she may be heading there.

Investigators have explored more than 200 leads, turning up little information. Most evidence indicates Fillipoff was planning to return to Ottawa, but there was no proof until now that she ever left the Island.

Shelly Fillipoff told the Campbell River Courier-Islander that store owners Joel and Lori Sellen in Vancouver's Gastown witnessed a man in their store throwing out a “missing” poster.

“Upon closer inspection, the poster was of [missing Emma Fillipoff] and the reward of $25,000 posted for her safe recovery,” said Shelley. “The man said, ‘It’s one of those missing persons posters, except she’s not missing, she’s my girlfriend and she ran away because she hates her parents.’ ”

The store owners said they got a "very creepy vibe" from the man and called the police right away to report the incident. Security cameras were able to pick up his image.

Vancouver police are investigating and posters have gone out over social media asking people to be on the lookout for Fillipoff or the man around the downtown eastside.

Only about five missing-persons cases in as many decades have gone unsolved in the capital region, according to Det. Const. Paul Spencelayh of the Victoria police. Considering that most investigations end within hours, Fillipoff’s case becomes more troubling with every passing day.

Fillipoff was a trained chef, held several jobs, was not into drugs or alcohol, and is described as a loving, emotionally sensitive woman who was planning to go home to her family.

Victoria police reported 376 missing peeople across the capital region in 2012, significantly fewer than the 692 it handled in 2008.

A disappearance usually boils down to one of four theories: the person ran away; had an accident; committed suicide; or was killed, police say.

Most missing-person files last hours, maybe days. Rarely does a case last months without any substantial progress. That’s what makes Fillipoff’s case so troubling. None of the evidence has led investigators toward any of their traditional theories.

“It causes a lot of frustration in that there’s a lot of starting points … but each time we do a follow up, we’re no further ahead,” Spencelayh said. “It’s rare that we get cases like that.”

She bought a prepaid cellphone, but never activated it. Even though she had money in her bank account, she was staying — as she did several times in the past year — at a women’s shelter.

Those who knew Fillipoff said she occasionally seemed confused in those final days, according to her mother, who spent two months searching Vancouver Island for her daughter before returning home Feb. 5.

There are indications Fillipoff was suffering from a mental breakdown and no one has ruled out suicide, but that usually leaves behind evidence. There is also the possibility that someone else took her, but until now, there was no evidence that she was with someone else.

There is a $25,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts.

Emma is described as looking younger than her age, five foot five, 90 to 100 pounds, with blond hair possibly waist long. She often wears knitted hats. She has no prior drug use, no prior history of vanishing, no criminal record and not living on the street at the time of her disappearance. She loves the outdoors, wears dresses and has been seen wearing camouflage pants and carrying an orange purse. She is very drawn to public libraries and oves children and animals. She has a shy temperament and is a vegan.

If you have any information about her whereabouts, call 911 or the Victoria police non-emergency line at 250-995-7654. - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...emma-fillipoff-1.1080343#sthash.PLmT1K9g.dpuf

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...emma-fillipoff-1.1080343#sthash.PLmT1K9g.dpuf

spike, Kimster and Akoya like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Administrator Staff Member

I'd heard of this case before, but hadn't ever read about it! What a pretty girl! I've been by the Empress before. Victoria seems like such a happy place, I had no idea anyone had gone missing from there!

Tea13.jpg

spike, RedRose and Akoya like this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Mother of missing woman marks 5 years since disappearance in Victoria, B.C.

The mother of a young woman missing for five years is marking the anniversary by returning to the B.C. city where she vanished from.

On Nov. 28, 2012, Emma Fillipoff, then 26, was last seen near the Empress Hotel in Victoria around 7:30 at night.

"When she disappeared, she literally vanished," said Shelley Fillipoff who lives in Perth, Ont. "She didn't leave a trail of any sort. So there was nothing."

She returned to Victoria this week to meet with police to review, one more time, the file — which has grown to 1,300 pages of tips and leads — and to host a candlelight walk on Tuesday, Nov. 28 to mark the anniversary.

Other similar walks will be held at the same time by volunteers in Campbell River B.C., Perth and Halifax — all the places where Fillipoff either grew up or spent time.

"I get a lot of tips ... but none of them amount to anything," said her mother who refuses to give up searching for her daughter.

She has no inkling what happened to Emma.

"To say that I have a gut feeling as to what happened to her ... I don't. I can't rely on my instincts anymore. I can't rely on my heart because my heart wants her to be alive so desperately."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mother-missing-woman-marks-5-035918919.html

Kimster, Paradise and spike like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Where didEmma Fillipoff go? Mom hopes new lead sheds light on 2012 disappearance

The mother of Emma Fillipoff hopes a new lead could shed light on the missing woman’s last known whereabouts.

Shelley Fillipoff said a man named William contacted her to say he gave her daughter a ride to the intersection of Admirals and Craigflower roads on the morning of Nov. 29, 2012, about nine hours after she was last seen by two police officers in downtown Victoria.

But this summer, a man contacted Fillipoff to say he saw Emma walking on Admirals Road while he was driving from Esquimalt to Saanich. She jumped onto the sidewalk and was screaming so he pulled over and asked her if she was OK, according to an interview he gave to Kimberly Bordage, who has produced a podcast called Search for Emma Fillipoff.

The man told Fillipoff that Emma was barefoot and drenched, as if she had been walking all night in the rain.

William, whose last name was not provided, offered to give her a ride. Emma calmed down and asked to be driven to a friend’s place in Colwood. She didn’t mention her friend’s name or address. William didn’t have time to take her to Colwood, so he dropped her off at 5:15 a.m. near the Petro Canada gas station at the corner of Admirals and Craigflower roads.

The man told Fillipoff he didn’t come forward with the information right away because he was worried he would be implicated in Emma’s disappearance. The man eventually became a father and his conscience nagged at him to come forward.

“His account was more than believable,” Fillipoff said. “He described Emma to a T, her mannerisms, everything. The way he talked about her taking her long hair out from under her coat. I thought it was so plausible that she walked throughout the night.”

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...-sheds-light-on-2012-disappearance-1.23489270

GarAndMo49 likes this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

New tip in Emma Fillipoff’s disappearance leads to renewed search

It’s been almost six years since Emma Fillipoff disappeared without a trace from the Victoria area. But her Mother Shelley Fillipoff never gave up hope.”It’s a story that’s not supposed to happen. You are not supposed to lose your child. You’re just not,” said Shelley.

For the past six years, it was believed Emma was last seen in on Nov. 28 2012 by Victoria Police who’d responded to reports of a woman — barefoot — acting strangely outside the Fairmont Empress Hotel.

“You’re not wearing shoes. Her response was ‘I’m just working through some things right now, I’m just going for a walk,'” said Sgt. Jamie McRae of Victoria Police in an interview to the Fifth Estate in 2015.

And that was the last known sighting of Emma, until this summer.

A new witness stepped forward to report that they had given her a ride to the Petro gas station on Admirals and Craigflower Road the morning of Nov. 29th.

And that new lead sparked hope, and a renewed search.

“It was the first viable tip, it was the first tip that I had a gut reaction to,” said Shelley.

“It showed that she was alive past the time that she saw the police.”

Now, a private search led by famed dog searcher Kim Cooper, is underway over the weekend and into Monday. The dog-led search covers multiple locations extending from the Gorge all the way to Goldstream Park.

Meanwhile at home in the Ottawa area, unable to be in Victoria, Emma’s mother is both terrified and hopeful.

“If it means finding remains I hope they find nothing. I’m not looking for what people refer to as closure. I want answers, but I want Emma to be alive. I need Emma to be alive,” said Shelley.Emma’s disappearance is still being investigated by Victoria Police’s major crime unit, but according to Shelley, the new information and witness isn’t currently being pursued.

“They said that the tip was too old, it was no longer a viable tip and did nothing to follow it up,” said Shelley.

Victoria Police were unable to comment today, but anyone who has seen Emma, knows where she may be, or has any information leading up to her disappearance is still being asked to call law enforcement.

https://www.cheknews.ca/new-tip-in-emma-fillipoffs-disappearance-leads-to-renewed-search-513463/

GarAndMo49 likes this.