1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

OR FINLEY CREEK JANE DOE: F, 14-18, found in Union County, OR - 27 August 1978

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Akoya, May 24, 2017.

1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

The body of a young female was found in a wooded hillside location outside of La Grande, Oregon. The female was pregnant, and likely in her 6th-8th month of pregnancy.

spike, Kimster and Paradise like this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11902

Case Information
    Status Unidentified
    Case number 78-1865
    Date found August 27, 1978 12:00
    Date created December 23, 2013 14:53
    Date last modified September 05, 2016 14:12
    Investigating agency
    date QA reviewed

Local Contact (ME/C or Other)
    Agency Union Cnty Med Examiners Ofc
    Phone 971-673-8220
    Case Manager
    Name Veronica Vance
    Phone 971.673.8300

Exclusions
    The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
    First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
    Teresa Fittin 1957 Florida
    Laura Flink 1947 Washington
    Rita Jolly 1955 Oregon
    Laurie Partridge 1957 Washington
    Otto Patricia 1952 Idaho

Scorpio and spike like this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/full_report/11902

NamUs UP # 11902
    [​IMG]
    ME/C Case Number: 78-1865
    Union County, Oregon
    14 to 18 year old Female
    Case Report - NamUs UP # 11902
    Case Information

Status Unidentified
    Case number 78-1865
    Date found August 27, 1978 12:00
    Date created December 23, 2013 14:53
    Date last modified September 05, 2016 14:12
    Investigating agency
    date QA reviewed

Local Contact (ME/C or Other)
    Agency Union Cnty Med Examiners Ofc
    Phone 971-673-8220
    Case Manager
    Name Veronica Vance
    Phone 971.673.8300

Demographics
    Estimated age Late Teen/Young Adult
    Minimum age 14 years
    Maximum age 18 years
    Race Unsure
    Ethnicity
    Sex Female
    Weight (pounds) 120, Estimated
    Height (inches) 62, Estimated
    Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)
    One or both hands not recovered
    Body conditions
    Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Circumstances
    Location Found
    GPS coordinates
    Address 1 Finley Creek
    Address 2 Approx. 18 miles North of La Grande
    City
    State Oregon
    Zip code
    County Union
    Circumstances
    The body of a young female was found in a wooded hillside location outside of La Grande, Oregon. The female was pregnant, and likely in her 6th-8th month of pregnancy.

Physical
    Hair color Sandy
    Head hair
    light brown to blonde
    Left eye color Unknown or Missing
    Right eye color Unknown or Missing

Other medical
    information
    Pregnant; skeletonized fetus in 6th-8th month in utero

Clothing with body
    Halter/bra; red "Catalina" brand pants size 15/16 (juniors?), which show evidence of possible length alteration.
    Footwear
    Ankle-high, lace up shoes

Other items found
    with body
    Red cloth, white cloth, zippers (remnants of clothing)

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered

DNA

Scorpio, Jay and spike like this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1258ufor.html

Case File: 1258UFOR
    The Doe Network
    [​IMG]

Unidentified Female
    • Date of Discovery: August 27, 1978
    • Location of Discovery: Finley Creek, Union County, Oregon
    • Estimated Date of Death: Years prior
    • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
    • Cause of Death: Unknown
    Physical Description
    ** Listed information is approximate
    • Estimated Age: 14-18 years old
    • Race: Unknown
    • Height: 5'1" to 5'3"
    • Weight: 115-125 lbs.
    • Hair Color: Light brown to blonde
    • Eye Color: Unknown
    • Distinguishing Marks/Features: She was pregnant, and likely in her 6th to 8th month of pregnancy.
    • Dentals: Available.
    • Fingerprints: Not available.
    • DNA: Not available.
    Clothing & Personal Items
    • Clothing: A halter/bra, red Catalina pants (size 15/16 - Juniors?) - which show evidence of possible length alteration, ankle-high lace up shoes, and remnants of clothing that consisted of red cloth, white cloth, and zippers.
    • Jewelry: Unknown
    • Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Case History
    The victim's body was found in a wooded hillside 18 miles north of La Grande.

Investigating Agency(s)
    If you have any information about this case please contact;

• Agency Name: Union County Medical Examiner's Office
    • Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
    • Agency Phone Number: 971-673-8220
    • Agency Case Number: ME: 78-1865
    • NCIC Case Number: N/A
    • NamUs Case Number: UP #11902
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)

5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Finley Creek, Oregon

William Finley National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon

upload_2017-5-24_15-31-32.jpeg

upload_2017-5-24_15-32-41.jpeg

Scorpio, Jay and spike like this.
  8. Jason Futch

Jason Futch TCCF Host, King of the Highway

Getting ready to look a little harder into this case soon via a request. Will probably travel out there for a potential survey soon if any Oregonians would like to join me for this. It will more than likely be an overnight trip.

Kimster and Akoya like this.
  9. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I'd love to go, but the rest of my year is tied up already! I've always wanted to see La Grande.

Jason Futch and Akoya like this.
  10. Jason Futch

Looking into doing a day trip out there tomorrow afternoon to look at old newspapers and survey the crime scene. Will take photos if this comes to fruition.

I reached out to Dr. Vance a few months ago in relation to this case and here was her response:

"Good afternoon, Jason:
    Unfortunately, we have very little information on this case, as it was found in the archived files at the Medical Examiner’s Office. The body was cremated many years ago (as was standard protocol back then, when someone persisted in being unidentified) and there are no photos of the cranium for any type of reconstruction.
    She is listed under NamUs UP# 11902, if you want to peruse the profile we’ve created for her at www.NamUs.gov
    The reports are confidential, as it is still considered an ongoing investigation.
    Sorry I couldn’t help more. Thanks for reaching out, Nici"

If I can find enough information based on old reports, I may be able to have enough information to create a physical profile on the Jane Doe. My suspicion is that she was murdered by a boyfriend or husband....even possibly a john she had been associated with if there is a link to possible prostitution/sex work on her end. The thought of having a baby with a prostitute was something this person may have not taken too lightly and was enough to send him into a murderous rage.

Someone in that area has to be missing a family member...someone has to!

11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

The reports are confidential because it's an active, ongoing investigation. BUT they have very little info and absolutely nothing to have an active, ongoing investigation about.
    Makes sense.

Pregnant young teenager. I'd bet you're correct about being murdered by a boyfriend. Or whoever the daddy might be.

Jason Futch, Kimster and Akoya like this.
  12. Kimster

How did the trip go?

Akoya likes this.
  13. Jason Futch

Haven’t gone yet. Plan to leave this afternoon! It’s gonna be a 4 hour drive! Lol

Kimster and Akoya like this.
  14. Jason Futch

So I have decided to sit the trip out, and instead focus more on researching from home today. I did however hire help from Eastern Oregon University to do a newspaper search for me, as they maintain the La Grande Observer's microfilm unit. I hope to hear back from them in a week to see what they may have found.

Whatsnext, Kimster and Akoya like this.
  15. Jason Futch

UPDATE: My contact, Katie Townsend of Eastern Oregon University’s library, helped me locate some news articles on the case that should paint a clear picture of what happened. It appeared the woman was strangled to death, as there was a cord found with the body. She had been located along a deer trail near a campsite where hunters typically stayed called the Finley Creek Camp.

Sounds like there is tons of information in the four articles alone that suggest that she was murdered by some significant other or a john.

I wonder if Dr. Vance knows about these clippings.
    8AC993BA-278A-469F-9C97-F3124599EC69.jpeg 921CF40F-B899-4855-BD80-AFDFA13F5954.jpeg E6F9EBFF-4584-43A9-B786-80CD3922F60E.jpeg 551D77B2-27FF-4A4B-85F5-9F32F53C89EA.png 98DC0333-5D77-49A2-82F7-A865CBBFB6AC.jpeg

16. Kimster

WOW! I wonder if they ever found evidence of a Teena Bradford being missing?

I don't think she was a prostitute. I think her SO left her there after killing her. He may have been a ham radio operator who also likes to hunt. Just putting that together from the clues I read in the articles.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Akoya like this.
  17. Jason Futch

I am still trying to find out if anything came forward in regards to Teena Bradford's whereabouts. I am considering reaching out to the Union County Sheriff to see if they had any information on the lead and if it had died or they eventually found her. I know there is probably more articles on this case, as this was a month's worth. I hope to eventually take a trip out to La Grande to sort through the papers myself and collect more articles.

For those not familiar with Eastern Oregon or never been, you must understand this. The Eastern portion of the state is desert, very similar format as Nevada and most parts of Idaho. The towns are also strikingly similar to rural desert towns: populations less than 10,000, not a whole lot of things to do, everyone knows everyone, etc. Typically there is only a handful of doctors around and if you are not close to a bigger city, help will not get to you for at least an hour or so if you are in trouble. That being said---I am pretty shocked this woman hasn't been identified yet if she was from around there. However, something tells me she could be from somewhere further out. The nearest "big" cities around La Grande would be Portland (roughly 4 hours), Bend (About 3 1/1) and Boise (2 hours).
    I would rule out Nevada because if the goal was to discreetly hide a body, I don't think anyone would have a problem doing that deep in the desert. So it has to be three of those cities the woman was from, or at least I assume.
    I will continue to follow up with the Teena Bradford lead and if its exhausted, then at least we have information about what happened to this Jane Doe and a more descriptive account of the goings on that day.

18. Jason Futch

Found an article a camper wrote about his experiences at Finley Creek. Nothing unusual, but probably worth sharing. He also encloses photos. http://hog-blog.net/wordpress/tag/obcdr-2/

"9/15 – Home to Finley Creek Cow Camp
    In the summer of 2011 three of us, Andy, Norm and myself rode a good portion of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route OBCDR). We missed a few sections due to snow in the mountains (Tiger Creek Rd. to Kamela, Norm getting injured, and me being chicken about crossing Crane Creek.

[​IMG]
    We started outside Walla Walla, WA on Tiger Creek Road which is about 73 miles from home. Tiger Creek was fairly easy gravel up to and including FS-65. We had to cross through a couple of snowdrifts with me gently going down on one, but at the intersection of the Kendall-Skyline (FS-64) and FS-65 we ran into impassable snow. We were blocked from getting to our first camp site at Cow Camp and Mt. Emily the next day. We rode back to Walla Walla, took WA-204 to Elgin and rode into Cow camp from the east.

This year Norm and I decided to wait until September to do the Tiger Creed Rd-Finley Creek Cow Camp-Mt. Emily-Kamela portion of the OBCDR. Our CBO, George, volunteered to support us in his truck and Tom rode with him, “…just to see us bounce off the rocks.”

[​IMG]
    Tiger Creek Road was as we remembered it, but as soon as we hit Kendall-Skyline, where we left off in 2011, we were through with the easy stuff until we got closer to Tollgate on WA-204.

Travel on Kendall-Skyline was hindered by sections with deep ruts, deep talc, and rocks. Some of the road is expectedly uphill and downhill. There are some smooth sections further down FS-64 but at one point Skyline departs from FS-64 and becomes moderately difficult again.

We had gassed up in Walla Walla and the distance to Tollgate was only 35 miles so we took a left on WA-204 to FS-31, about 7.5 miles south. FS-31 was all paved to Ruckle Road Junction with FS-31. Ruckle Road, however was about 5 miles of embedded-rock strewn, tooth-rattling road to Cow Camp.

[​IMG]
    After setting up camp we headed into Elgin for dinner, about 13 miles. On return we relaxed in camp on the chairs George had brought with him, having a few drinks and laughs around a non-existent fire."

Kimster and Whatsnext like this.
  19. Jason Futch

So I have a quick update that may interest everyone! I reached out to the UCSO this morning, and I received an email back around 1 this afternoon. There is a very interesting twist to this: the UCSO was not a formalized unit in 1977; the policing of the county was done by the Oregon State Police unit in La Grande. There was a sheriff, however he has since passed away. Here is what the email read:

Thank you for your email. I hadn’t heard of this case and it made for interesting reading. Unfortunately I’m not able to answer any of your questions. It doesn’t appear as if the Sheriff’s Office had any involvement in this case. I spoke to retired Sheriff Steve Oliver (who was a patrol officer in Wallowa, OR at that time), who told me that at this time frame the Sheriff here had no patrol deputies so there would have been no deputies here to assist the State Police. Bob Price was the Sheriff during that time but he passed away several years ago. Sheriff Oliver also told me that John Spiker, the OSP crime lab Sergeant mentioned in the articles, lives in Pendleton, Oregon.

I’m sorry I’m not able to be of any help. Good luck in your research.

Catherine Falck, Office Manager
    Union County Sheriff’s Office

This means, my next step will be to reach out to the Eastern Oregon La Grande Division of the OSP. Stay tuned!

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Kimster like this.
  20. Kimster

Are you saying that no one works on this case anymore?

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.