1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

OR FINLEY CREEK JANE DOE: F, 14-18, found in Union County, OR - 27 August 1978

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Akoya, May 24, 2017.

1. Jason Futch

Jason Futch TCCF Host, King of the Highway

I think essentially it’s been in the care of OSP, and I assume they believe Dr. Vance is in charge of it considering the circumstances. However, when I first reached out to Dr. Vance on the case, she wasn’t able to delve further into it other than what happened to her remains.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Kimster like this.
  2. Jason Futch

I received another update from Dr. Vance on this case. Based on the information she gave, it sounds like that whoever murdered this woman is going to get away with it. Dr. Vance did confirm this morning that this is a homicide investigation and was aware of the cause of death; however because of the current active status on the case, they cannot put this info into NamUs. Here is a snippet of what she sent:

“...We also knew that she had been strangled; we didn’t put it in the public profile because of the ongoing investigation, although figuring out who she is will be a long shot.
    Not a lot we can do at this point if we don’t have her remains for DNA; it’s a profound bummer.” -Dr. Nici Vance, Oregon State Forensic Anthropologist

She also once again confirmed that there are no good photos of the skull that could be used for a possible facial reconstruction, and her cremated remains are not even in her storage (likely buried in a paupers grave in La Grande).

In the coming weeks, I would like to put together a small presentation that would route possible suspects to her death. Also I reached out to the Crime Lab sergeant at the time, Jon Spilker, who worked the FCJD case and am waiting to hear back.

Not a whole lot really we can do at this point, and as I keep trying my best at this case Dr. Vance may be right—she may never be identified!

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.
  3. Jason Futch

I have a small update in this case, however more of a historical background on the case from Union County Sheriffs Office (this should help answer the previous question you had @Kimster ):

I received a belated email from Katherine in regards to the history of the Union County Sheriffs Office and why there was no patrol deputies there at the time. It makes for an interesting read here...take a look:

"From what I’ve been told the Sheriff at that time, Bob Price, was feuding with the county commissioners about funding, so the commissioners drastically cut his budget. Oregon law only requires a county sheriff to run a jail and serve civil process papers. So providing patrol services is a “luxury”. If funding gets cut about the only place a sheriff can make cuts is in patrol. Plus, as I’m sure you know, whenever government at any level is required to make cuts they always make them where it will hurt the taxpayers the most. In the case of the Sheriff’s Office that would be in patrols."
    -Catherine Falck, Union County, Oregon Sheriffs Office

It makes complete sense the way she described it. Also remember: Eastern Oregon politics differs completely from politics west of the Oregon Cascades; in which people tend to be more conservative/libertarian, whereas Western Oregon and the Oregon Coast lean more moderate/liberal...I believe that could still be the same in 1978.
    Robert Straub was Governor at the time, based on my research, and he was known to cut budgets where he could save a dollar. Unfortunately, he wasn't as focused on Eastern Oregon, which caused him to lose against Victor Atiyeh, who would to this day become the last Republican Governor for the state. Atiyeh sought for more support of Eastern Oregon and strengthened the budgets of the Eastern counties, which helped counties like Union fund public programs that they weren't able to do before.
    Needless to say, had Straub lost his election against Atiyeh the first go-round, there maybe would have been patrol deputies in Union County in the 1970's. This last line is a personal thought.

Additionally, I asked about missing persons reports from that time frame, and apparently everything went from microfilm to digital; making some of the reports hard to read. Catherine did mention that she would assist the best she can when she has a free moment to thumb through some of those reports to help us out.

That's all I have right now, just waiting on Dr. Vance to get back to me!

4. Jason Futch

So Dr. Vance has not returned my emails since I sent her some more questions in regards to the case. Unfortunately, there is really nothing much more I can do on this. I realized this when I was listening to the Crime Junkie Podcast on the Tent Girl. Tent Girl was super close to being identified as the wrong person until the girl Tent Girl was purported to be had come forward. One of the last things I want to do is assist in identifying the wrong person as the Finley Creek Jane Doe.

With no DNA, physical remains or further information on this person, there is really nothing more I can do with this case. More than likely, this will probably be as far as ANYONE gets with Finley Creek Jane Doe.

5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

There's always hope that we get the word out enough that someone, somewhere has a tip and calls it in!

6. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member