1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

AZ GARY HOSE: Missing from Phoenix, AZ - 30 April 1974 - Age 6

Discussion in 'Missing 1900 to 1979' started by patsella, Mar 11, 2018.

1. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

upload_2018-3-11_6-59-6.png
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/30125/667/

Case Report - NamUs MP # 30125

Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Gary
    Middle name Ray
    Last name Hose
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen April 30, 1974 00:00
    Date entered 09/07/2015
    Age last seen 6 to 7 years old
    Age now 50 years old
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Male
    Height (inches) 48.0
    Weight (pounds) 60.0

Circumstances
    City Phoenix
    State Arizona
    Zip code
    County Maricopa

Physical
    Hair color Brown
    Head hair

Body hair

Facial hair

Left eye color Blue
    Right eye color Blue
    Eye description

No known distinctive body features
    Distinctive features as described below
    Amputations
    Deformities
    Scars and marks
    Tattoos
    Piercings
    Artificial body parts
    and aids
    Finger and toe nails
    Other distinctive
    physical characteristics

Medical
    Foreign objects
    Skeletal information

Clothing and Accessories
    Clothing and accessories are unknown
    Clothing and accessories are described below
    Clothing

Footwear

Jewelry

Eyewear

Accessories

Transportation Methods
    Vehicle make
    Vehicle model
    Year
    Style
    Vehicle color
    Tag type
    Tag number
    Tag state
    Expiration year
    Vehicle comments

Airline

Bus

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Detective
    First name Kristina
    Last name Hiers
    Phone 602-876-3868
    Website
    Case number 94-00917
    Date reported January 11, 1994
    Jurisdiction County
    Agency Maricopa County S.O.
    Address 1 550 W. Jackson Street
    Address 2
    City Phoenix
    State Arizona
    Zip code 85003

edited to add media link
    https://crimewatchers.net/forum/ind...il-30-1974-from-phoenix-az.3204/#comment-3280

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Family Searches for Missing Brother They Say Was Murdered by Mom in 1974
    SHANNA HOGAN | MAY 20, 2016 | 11:31AM
    Four decades after little Gary Ray Hose vanished, his brothers are certain he was murdered by their mother in 1974 and buried on a piece of land in Pinal County.

Following two unsuccessful searches, Guy Hose, now 50, says detectives from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office have given up on finding the remains of his missing kid brother.

"The sheriff's department has already told us that Gary is not a priority — they got other cases that are more important and more current," Guy says. "My brother has been laying dead out in the desert for almost 43 years now. When is he going to get justice?"

Growing up in a tiny home in north Phoenix in the 1970s, Guy says, he and his brothers were abused by their mother and stepfather, Charlene and Walter Hose. It was the twins, Gary and Jerry, who faced the most horrific beatings, Guy recalls.

"Our stepdad was abusive in the extent he went a little crazy with the belt. But it was our mother who was responsible for the broken bones, beatings, the hospitalization, and the internal bleeding," Guy alleges. "I was beat, but I got a fraction of what the twins got. It was horrific what the twins went through."

[​IMG]
    Last year, police searched a backyard in north Phoenix for the remains of Gary Hose, who has been missing since 1974.
    Guy Hose
    Guy says Jerry was the more passive of the twins, but Gary was defiant. Often, he was locked in a closet. One night in April 1974, when he was 6 or 7, he ran away and the police brought him back home.

Guy's last memory of his brother was seeing him that night in the living room with their parents.

"The night he went missing, in the middle of the night, I heard voices in the living room that woke me up," says Guy, who was 8 years old when Gary disappeared. "My brother was standing by my mom and he was bruised from head to toe and bleeding."

Guy never saw Gary Hose again.

Days after the boy disappeared, the family moved out of their home near Cave Creek and Greenway roads in the middle of the night. For the next year, home was a trailer located on a three-acre desert parcel on North Maple Street, just outside Maricopa.

"They bought that property, and we moved onto it literally within days after Gary came up missing," Guy recalls. "We lived there for about a year and moved away. Neither Walter or Charlene have stepped foot on the property since."

For years, Guy believed Gary had "got lucky" and had been sent to live with a family in Texas, who later adopted him.

Facebook
    Meanwhile, the Hoses moved to Idaho, where Charlene reportedly continued to beat her children and was eventually arrested for child abuse. Gary's twin, Jerry, was eventually removed from the home by child-protective services and adopted by another family at age 14, having suffered brain damage from years of beatings.

Inexplicably, Guy and his youngest brother remained in the care of Walter and Charlene.

Years passed, and Guy grew up and became estranged from his family, cutting off communication with his parents.

Then, Jerry Hose came forward with a disturbing story, saying his brother had been brutally murdered the night he ran away and the police brought him back.

Jerry Hose worked with a private investigator and producers from The Crusaders, a short-lived syndicated TV news-magazine series. An episode of the show that aired in 1994 contained a segment featuring Jerry, in which reporter William La Jeunesse unraveled the history of the Hose boys' brutal abuse but uncovered no trace of Gary.

[​IMG]EXPAND
    While the cameras roll in 1994, Jerry Hose (at left) turns over the fruits of The Crusaders investigation to Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
    Screenshot
    One scene showed Jerry presenting the evidence they'd gathered to Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who promised to devote resources to the case.

"You deserve to know the truth," Arpaio told Jerry as the cameras rolled. "We'll do everything. I'll assign some detectives to the case."

A missing-persons report was filed. But Walter and Charlene Hose hired an attorney and were never questioned by police.

For the next 20 years, the search went nowhere.

Read more: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...-they-say-was-murdered-by-mom-in-1974-8303336

Kimster, Lily and patsella like this.
  3. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I remember the search out near Maricopa for this missing boy. The brother's story sounds legit to me, and probably lived in fear for years. Usually abuse victims have to feel safe before coming forward.

4. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Just horrible what those boys went through.

5. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I agree. Sounds like HELL! A 6-7 Yr Old Child "Running Away" is VERY TELLING to Me. Brother saw Him EXTREMELY injured that Night. Moving in the middle of the night. In special circumstances it hsppens, like an "Out of State" move Etc. But otherwise. From what I have seen it's People RUNNING FROM SOMETHING! Saying the "Mother" KILLED HIM, I believe EVERY WORD of His Brother. But the "Father" is JUST AS GUILTY! Never said ANYTHING about His Father hitting them. But apparently, The "Coward" sat in Silence!!! Boys removed from the Home. BRAIN DAMAGE! GOOD GOD!!! And these Boys were all of Age to attend "School". The level of Abuse. NO ONE SAW JUST A LITTLE EXTENSIVE "BRUISING"?! And this was the end of April. So School was Still in Session.

Whatsnext, Lily and Paradise like this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I was the kid 'inexplicably' left behind in an severely abusive household - and it almost cost me my life. So my heart just breaks for these poor men, and the vulnerable children that they were.

Hope their birth monster gets LWP at the least, when the evidence shows up. Though I can't help wishing things would get a bit more medieval in cases like this.

7. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I AM SO SORRY YOU HAD TO LIVE IN SUCH "HELL" Lily! MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU. I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE! :daisy:I was Blessed with Two Wonderful Parents. And the more time goes by, I realize how lucky I am. THOSE PARENTS AND YOURS WILL PAY! :mad:

Lily, Whatsnext and Paradise like this.
  8. spike

spike Bronze Member

:hug:
    I hate that for you, Lily.

Lily, Whatsnext, Mel70 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Heartbreaking that this happened to you. You are a true survivor :hug:

Lily, Whatsnext and Mel70 like this.
  10. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I still can't get it out of My Head what YOU MUST HAVE GONE THROUGH "Lily". ABANDONED! And ABUSED! You OBVIOUSLY didn't let it destroy You, But made You a VERY STRONG Person. And made You a "Crusader" for others. I liked You before. But NOW, I HAVE A GREAT NEW LEVEL OF RESPECT FOR YOU! :loveshower:

11. Dobrev

Dobrev Former Member

"Not much was done," says Michael Toth, a private investigator hired by the Hose family. "And all these years passed as the case sat growing colder. The investigators did the absolute minimum of what they needed to do."

Meanwhile, the mystery of what happened to his little brother haunted Guy Hose. Frustrated by the lack of law-enforcement interest, he and Jerry teamed up, spending thousands, even consulting a psychic.

Toth, whom the brothers hired last year, proved what Guy had come to suspect: that Gary never had been adopted.

Guy was convinced that Jerry's theory was true: that their mother had murdered Gary and, with the help of their stepfather, concealed the crime.

"They beat him and killed him and dumped him in the desert," Guy says.

Late last year, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office got a tip that Gary's body was buried in the backyard of the north Phoenix home where the family lived in 1974, possibly encased in concrete. Police searched the property in November, using ground-penetrating radar, shovels, and cadaver dogs.

They found nothing.

"We have a reliable tip that has something to do with the investigation," Arpaio told reporters on the day of the search. "You can't let up. You can't let up because of the victims. The family would like to have some type of closure one way or the other, and it's sad."

When the search came up empty, Guy says, his focus turned to the vacant parcel in the desert near Maricopa. He says he offered to purchase the property from his parents, but Charlene and Walter turned him down.

"She said, 'Me and your dad made a pact never to sell the property as long as one of us is alive,'" Guy says.

Walter died last year. Charlene, who has dementia and Parkinson's disease, was moved to a nursing home in Oregon. During a lucid moment, Guy says, she admitted to one of her children that Gary was buried on the Maple Street land.

Based on that information, detectives obtained a search warrant for the property.

"A general search of the property was performed, also cadaver dogs were brought in to assist in the search but no evidence was located," Maricopa County Sheriff's Office public information director Chris Hegstrom tells New Times.

Dissatisfied with the sheriff's findings, Guy returned with a backhoe to dig up the property on his own.

He says that hours after he began digging up the septic tank, Kristina Hiers, the lead detective on the case, arrived and threatened to have him arrested for trespassing.

Hiers did not respond to New Times'request for comment, but Hegstrom confirms that Guy was asked to leave the property.

"The owner of the property [Charlene Hose] did not want other members from the family on the property," Hegstrom says. "Guy Hose had been advised multiple times by a MCSO detective and prior to the search warrant that he could not go onto the property or he would be trespassing."

Hegstrom adds that the department conducted a thorough search, and no human remains were found. "Investigators continue to investigate leads into the disappearance of Gary Hose," he says.

"If they aren't going to do anything about it, why are they trying to stop us from searching for him?" Guy Hose counters. "My brother is not a piece of trash that should have been discarded in the desert. He deserves to be found."

Michael Toth, the family's private investigator, believes the lack of interest on the part of the sheriff's office boils down to money.

"They're not going to spend any more money searching for Gary. There is three acres of desert out there on that property and they only searched a sliver of it," says Toth, who has nearly two decades of law-enforcement experience. "Expense shouldn't matter in this case. There's a little boy who has been lost for 40 years. We need to find him."

Because Charlene Hose is in the late stages of Alzheimer's disease, Guy worries that she'll die without revealing what happened to Gary.

Charlene Hose's conservator, Jacki Harris, has not returned New Times' calls requesting comment.

Meanwhile, Guy remains frustrated.

"The sheriff's office is purposely putting this off. We believe they are just waiting for Charlene to die so they can put the case back on the shelf again and forget about it," he says. "We are pretty much out of hope right now."

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/can-kate-gallego-fix-phoenix-as-the-new-mayor-11249335

12. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Is Guy set to inherent the land? Because after his mom passes on, I'll bet you he'll dig up every corner of it.

Paradise, Mel70 and Dobrev like this.
  13. Dobrev

Dobrev Former Member

i sure hope so
    but i'll bet not.

Paradise, Mel70 and Kimster like this.
  14. Mysteries1974

Mysteries1974 Well-Known Member

This case is another example of when a child is failed by our system. If someone had stepped in and helped, Gary would still be alive. Instead of him living a normal and happy life, he was beaten, starved, abused, and ultimately murdered by his own mother, the one who should’ve cared for him.

Kimster, spike and Paradise like this.
  15. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

:tears:

Kimster and spike like this.