1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

FL HALEIGH CUMMINGS: Missing from Satsuma, FL - 10 Feb 2009 - Age 5

Discussion in 'Missing 2000 to 2009' started by walkie-talkie, Apr 24, 2015.

1. President Pope Dewey

President Pope Dewey Sanity is a state of mind

I wonder what her IQ is. I never got the impression she was the brightest bulb in the mix. As someone else mentioned up thread, I'm not sure she's guilty of very much in disappearance of Haleigh other than being dumb enough to be with Ron Cummings and trying to be a grown up before she was mentally fit to do so. I won't say she isn't complacent, but I have reasonable doubt as to her part in it if any.

Zoidar, walkie-talkie, Olenna and 2 others like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I don't think she's very bright. She didn't get much of an education.

Zoidar, walkie-talkie, spike and 2 others like this.
  3. President Pope Dewey

President Pope Dewey Sanity is a state of mind

I agree, but I also don't believe she has a lot of common sense, and the most of that tribe she's connected to are suitable for the Darwin Award. JMHO

4. Kimster

Her folks don't either. Is it inherited, or a problem with using dope all the time?

5. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

6. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

7. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

8. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

I recall, @Kimster the major discussion that went on at the time, about MC getting the youthful offenders sentence. It was widely believed that she would indeed get that, but she could only get it from one county/sentence and not in both. This today, is for the St. Johns County conviction, the first round. She was later convicted and sentenced to 25 in Putnam County.

MadgeS, Olenna, walkie-talkie and 4 others like this.
  9. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

I noticed the tats that MC has on her wrist/hand now...

Sad that LC is reportedly dying with Liver and heart failure.... On the other hand, HC looked fairly decent, considering.

10. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

As for MC's intelligence. She's a border line, mentally challenged, IMO. Combine that with little to no education, that girl had no chance in understanding, again, IMO. I got a chance to meet the Croslin family. NONE of them sport high intelligence... Sure, drugs and alcohol hasn't helped them but underlying those things, they didn't have much to work with, to begin with. MC was way better at mimicking the girls she 'hung' out with, thus seeming to be 'street smart' but she really wasn't. Her comprehension levels are way low....

MadgeS, walkie-talkie, spike and 2 others like this.
  11. Kimster

Hasn't LC been ill for quite awhile? It is sad...

12. Zoidar

Zoidar ADULT CW member

Yes, for quite some time she's been dealing with Liver failure... it has been in the past year, however that she was diagnosed as being in stage 4 I think is how the y term it... nearing complete to total failure. The 'heart' failure that was mentioned in one of the videos posted above, was new to me. LC's sister, Vickie was also diagnosed with Liver failure, back during the time of MC's sentencing, when she came down here with her mother, Flora to attend the court proceedings in St. Johns County.

MadgeS, walkie-talkie, spike and 2 others like this.
  13. Olenna

Olenna Chief Justice of the Forum on Checks & Balances

@walkie-talkie and @Paradise - thanks for the tweets/updates.
    @Zoidar & @Kimster - thanks for news clips.

I suppose I can agree that Misty has the right to implore the court that she was not in a state able to make informed choices - too ignorant, too confused, too drugged, and her parents in largely the same condition - to realize she was accepting 25-year mandatory-minimums for her first offense drug crime, when she should have been arguing for youthful offender status.

ALTHOUGH ... her jailhouse videos indicate otherwise. She seems to know exactly when she'll be released in the videos below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C56srXF2IE

(see 1:13: "Ima goin' ta prison for 21 years 8 counts traffickingcharges." @ 2:05: "I'll be 41 years old when I'm out" And @ 7:25 "been tryin to learn to read")

(As I recall, Misty does have ADHD and has severe learning difficulties, reads at a 3rd grade level now, after 2 years of prison-schooling. Her father Hank is illiterate - maybe an inherited learning disability.)

Based on those jailhouse phone videos - what she said this week on the stand - that she thought she'd get 6 years and didn't understand she'd get 25 - seems in conflict with the jailhouse phone tape evidence at the time.

(If Misty is consistent about anything ... it's lying. Her own attorney is state's witness against her at this hearing - that can't be good. He sounds completely exasperated.)

It's true, though, that her trafficking charges should have nothing to do with the Haleigh Cummings case. But it's also true that the gang was busted to press Haleigh information out of them all ... which worked to the extent that Misty and Tommy's "memories" suddenly "improved" greatly... narrowing the POI focuses of the case down to the Croslin family...

In spite of how I feel about Haleigh's Case, and Misty's ongoing "key" to solving Haleigh's case ... I do feel Florida's mandatory minimums resulting in 25 years in 2 counties consecutively served is overkill for 17/18 year-old Misty's 8 counts of drug trafficking. And, the fact that she couldn't read at the time of her plea deal, nor could her father who was her major advisor, may have put her (and Hank Sr.) at some disadvantage as far as fully understanding the process and her options.

On the other hand, Misty may just be the poster girl argument in favor of Florida's mandatory minimums. If she wasn't behind bars ... would she just be another addict endangering her own children by now?

I guess we'll check back next month and see if she makes any progress. Also sorry to learn Lisa's prognosis is poor, and it was good to see Hank looking well.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/15/haleigh.cummings.search/

In a search for where Timmy/Chelsea are now, I learned that Chelsea's mom passed away awhile ago. I guess I didn't realize that Chelsea's whole family was from Dennis (Cape Cod). Did they move back to Florida after the sentencings? Or are they still on the Cape? Anyone know where Lyndsy is?

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20140724/obits02/407240320

Zoidar, Lily, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  14. Olenna

15. Olenna

(update via public FB's):
    Timmy/Chelsea & kids are still on the Cape.
    Lindsy & kids still in FL, Lindsy w/official RN degree, newly re-married, new name, new life.

16. Kimster

Brilliant points make here, @Olenna!!! I hope the judge sees them too!

17. Kimster

Fields was called to the stand and was asked if he made any promise to Croslin about a six-year sentence.

"That's ridiculous," he said. "There were no promises made. I never do that. In my 16 years (practicing law), I never made a promise to a client."

Fields described a 25-year sentence as "the ultimate prize," because Croslin was facing the rest of her life in prison. He said he told that with this plea agreement, she would be released by the time she was her mother's age.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/misty-cummings-appeals-drug-conviction-sentence_

Zoidar, spike, walkie-talkie and 2 others like this.
  18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

You know...I was thinking last night, so excuse the rambling, lol. But I'm just thinking about all of these kids disappearing from a home with drugs. Like Haleigh. Like Ember Graham in California. And in Ember's case, her family is saying there's no way her dad hurt her. But, he's known to have been high when she disappeared. Maybe he really does have no idea where she is or what he did. Maybe Misty really has no idea where Haleigh is or what happened to her because she was so out of her mind on drugs. Please note, that this is NOT and excuse and NOT a "reason". It definitely doesn't give any excuse for any attempt at covering things up or anything like that, and I have no idea if it's even the case for Haleigh. But maybe, when we're screaming at them to tell someone what happened...maybe they honestly don't know. Just a sad reality that, at least for some of these kids, nobody has any idea. Because drugs were more important.

Zoidar, Red, Lily and 5 others like this.
  19. Kimster

Could be. Blackouts are usually associated more with alcohol abuse, or at least that's how it used to be. A quick Google didn't answer my question on any current studies of drug abuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(drug-related_amnesia)

spike, walkie-talkie and Olenna like this.
  20. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Although blackout is most associated with alcohol it can also be caused by other drugs such as:

* Marijuana
    * LSD
    * Rohypnol (date rape drug)
    * Valium (diazepam)
    * Clonazepam
    * Phenobarbital
    * Xanax (Alprazolam)

http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/hangovers-and-blackouts/

Though talking with people who've used drugs and looking around online, mushrooms, barbituates, ketamine, even heroine, and particularly benzos, have been known to cause blackouts.