1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA HEATHER BLOOM: Missing from Alameda Co., CA - Sept/Oct 2005 - Age 28 - Down Syndrome

Discussion in 'Missing 2000 to 2009' started by Sunburst, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Heather has been missing since mid- September-early October 2005, her exact missing date is undetermined.
    Heather has Downs' Syndrome, is wheelchair dependent and non-verbal. She requires constant care and daily meds for heart and thyroid conditions. Heather was 28 at the time of her disappearance.
    Height 60 inches, brown hair and blue eyes.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/30912/3/
    Heather was just entered in NAMUS on Nov. 3, 2015:

Circumstances listed below are taken directly from Namus:
    Around September 16, 2005 circumstances necessitated Heather Bloom's mother, Phyillis Bloom, to leave Heather in the care of her sister, Shari Bloom, residing in Berkeley, CA. Heather has not been seen since. Shari refuses to provide any information on the whereabouts and status of Heather. Heather has Down Syndrome, she is wheelchair dependent, non-verbal, and requires constant care and daily medication for heart and thyroid conditions.[​IMG]

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/heather-bloom-missing-from-california.969/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
    Whatsnext, Akoya, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Sister refuses to provide information? :mad:

Whatsnext, Akoya, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

I am wondering if detectives could call "sister" in for a lengthy "chat".

Mel70, Akoya, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  4. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

oh my gosh the disabled have any rights anymore?!? The fact the sister is still out and free pisses me off im sorry. grrrrr. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Where is this beautiful young lady? Surely she didn't just disappear out of thin air in her sister's care unless her sister is David Copperfield. Shari, I hope you can live with yourself. Do the right thing and tell the police what happened. If it was an accident you may still have time to confess and get a lesser charge... even though I don't think you deserve it.
    :gaah:

Mel70, Whatsnext, Akoya and 4 others like this.
  5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

http://charleyproject.org/case/heather-bloom

These type cases with very vulnerable people really upset me :tears:

I found this off google, the sister cant be located now either?
    Isn't there a law in America where you are obliged to speak to the police? Like when the sister wouldn't let them in her house cant they enter without permission anyway????
    I tried to google that answer as well but didn't even know how to phrase the question :crazy:

edited by staff to fix link to the Charley Project

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    Mel70, Whatsnext, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  6. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Heather has been missing for ten years :(
    Long time to keep a secret.

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

I am not sure, but I think the police would need a search warrant if entry was refused by the sister.

8. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

They can't question you about anything where you might incriminate yourself. I think it's protected by the Fifth Amendment. Even in a civil suit, you have the right to plead the Fifth rather than be incriminated in a crime. Everything has to go to trial because everyone is entitled to a jury by their peers.

Akoya, MissyMoo and DaisyChains like this.
  9. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

The Charley Project page for Heather was just updated on Nov. 14, 2015 as far as circumstances of her disappearance, distinguishing characteristics, and medical conditions.

10. TribeofTiger

TribeofTiger Well-Known Member

Alameda County law enforcement tried but were unable to prosecute the caretakers of Hassani Campbell or Baby Daphne. Hassani, a highly intelligent 5-yr-old who wore leg braces due to cerebral palsy, was in the care of his pregnant aunt and the father of her child. His sister, only a baby, was also assigned to this couple. Of course the care of both was accompanied by a monthly check to sweeten the deal. The boyfriend was ok with the baby girl child, but found the 5-yr-old Hassani too much to handle, which he documented in angry texts to his girlfriend, the boy's aunt and court-appointed guardian. I'm not sure what was up with Hassani's own Dad, but his mother was in drug rehab, leaving her children vulnerable to the actions of strangers. Hassani disappeared while in the care of his aunt's boyfriend. The boyfriend said he brought both children when he went to pick up their aunt from a shoe store where she worked. He said he left Hassani to wait in the parking lot while he took his baby sister around to the unlocked door where the aunt was waiting. When they came back out, Hassani was gone. The little boy has never been seen since, despite crowds of volunteers joining to search for him. Baby Daphne disappeared in a similar fashion, and from the same city. Her Mom was also in drug rehab. She was in the care of her biological father, who was also looking after his mother, who suffered from dementia. He said he left Baby Daphne with his mother in his vehicle while he ran into a convenience store. When he came out, the baby was gone. Some witnesses said they saw a child who looked like Daphne walking along a nearby street with a Hispanic woman, but Daphne was never found. The police made clear they believed the father was covering up the baby's death, and took him into custody, apparently suggesting to him that with the care of an infant and his mother, an accident could have happened to the baby. Her father by all accounts was a good and loving parent. He never confessed to anything, but apparently committed suicide on the Mother's Day after the child's disappearance. This is the same East Bay Area of San Francisco Bay where Pearl Pinson and Evie Babb have disappeared this year.

11. TribeofTiger

TribeofTiger Well-Known Member

Alameda County law enforcement tried but were unable to prosecute the caretakers of Hassani Campbell or Baby Daphne. Hassani, a highly intelligent 5-yr-old who wore leg braces due to cerebral palsy, was in the care of his pregnant aunt and the father of her child. His sister, only a baby, was also assigned to this couple. Of course the care of both was accompanied by a monthly check to sweeten the deal. The boyfriend was ok with the baby girl child, but found the 5-yr-old Hassani too much to handle, which he documented in angry texts to his girlfriend, the boy's aunt and court-appointed guardian. I'm not sure what was up with Hassani's own Dad, but his mother was in drug rehab, leaving her children vulnerable to the actions of strangers. Hassani disappeared while in the care of his aunt's boyfriend. The boyfriend said he brought both children when he went to pick up their aunt from a shoe store where she worked. He said he left Hassani to wait in the parking lot while he took his baby sister around to the unlocked door where the aunt was waiting. When they came back out, Hassani was gone. The little boy has never been seen since, despite crowds of volunteers joining to search for him. Baby Daphne disappeared in a similar fashion, and from the same city. Her Mom was also in drug rehab. She was in the care of her biological father, who was also looking after his mother, who suffered from dementia. He said he left Baby Daphne with his mother in his vehicle while he ran into a convenience store. When he came out, the baby was gone. Some witnesses said they saw a child who looked like Daphne walking along a nearby street with a Hispanic woman, but Daphne was never found. The police made clear they believed the father was covering up the baby's death, and took him into custody, apparently suggesting to him that with the care of an infant and his mother, an accident could have happened to the baby. Her father by all accounts was a good and loving parent. He never confessed to anything, but apparently committed suicide on the Mother's Day after the child's disappearance. This is the same East Bay Area of San Francisco Bay where Pearl Pinson and Evie Babb have disappeared this year.

Mel70, Akoya and DaisyChains like this.
  12. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

BPD asks for help in locating cold case missing person at risk

The Berkeley Police Department is asking for help in locating a cold case missing person at risk, according to a BPD Nixle alert issued Thursday at approximately 2:49 p.m.

The alert said the missing person, Heather Bloom, is currently 40 years old, and was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. She was last known to be living with her sister at 1612 Parker Street, and has been missing since Sept. 11, 2005, according to the alert.

The BPD alert wrote Bloom has multiple special conditions, including Down Syndrome, and requires daily medication and regular care. Bloom also may require a wheelchair and is non-verbal but can communicate with some sign language, according to the alert.

The Nixle alert contained two images of Bloom – the first, a photo of Bloom from 2006; and the second, an age-progressed facial composite of Bloom at 40.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Sgt P. Hong in Homicide/Missing Persons at (510) 981-4723.

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/06/01/bpd-asks-help-locating-cold-case-missing-person-risk/

[​IMG]

Whatsnext, Sunburst, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  13. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

What if something happened to "sister" and Heather, and that is why "sister" can't be located either? What if dual citizenship was involved and "sister" took Heather to another country to live? If Heather had been placed in a group home, or some sort of nursing home/institution because of medical needs, would "sister " be allowed to say that or would HIPAA laws apply?

14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

HIPAA laws only apply to medical professionals. You can say whatever you want about your family member, "appropriate" or not. I can tell whomever I wish that "my sister is in the hospital". However, workers at the hospital cannot say "SheWho's sister is here." (However, if the police are the ones asking, they can usually confirm or deny if a person is there.)

If something did happen to her sister, maybe Heather was placed somewhere and cannot communicate who she is. I feel like there would have been some sort of plea from local LE if that were the case tho. A "help ID this person" kind of thing.

Whatsnext, TribeofTiger and Sunburst like this.
  15. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

16. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Soooo...."Shari". Ever been "Interrogated?!

17. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

How EVIL can you be?! And now I'm sure her mother is deceased. To know your Daughter is responsible for the disappearance of another! I can't imagine what she did. But whatever it was... OMG! Now she can't be found either. Why couldn't "L.E." charge her in the beginning?. Obviously withholding!!

18. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Today you hear ALL THE TIME "CHECK, CHECK, GET A CHECK" $$$$$$. I've even had people suggest to Me to "Foster" child due to me being financially stressed being on "Permanent Disability"!!!. I SAID WHAT?! Then I can't say what I said. This person was only an aqaintence. Not only did this INFURIATE me, But DUHHH...I AM ON DISABILITY!!! I HAVE A PROBLEM ON MY OWN!!!! I WENT OFF!!! AND JUSTIFIABLY SO!!! :mad: UNABLE TO PROSECUTE?!!! NO JUSTICE!!! GRRR!!!

19. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

GREAT QUESTION!! I don't know, But being "Mentally Challenged And Non-verbal" I would think someone would be in charge of her medical decisions. And wouldn't necessarily have to have "Power of Attorney". My Mom had "Glioblastoma Brain Cancer" My Dad and I signed for Her. And I did not have "Power of Attorney". And I am sure THEIR MOTHER would have given legal consent for "Shari" to take over.

20. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I agree! Its so infuriating!!! But when someone does confess, They seem to ALWAYS say "It was an accident". Even "Serial killers" O.K. yeah... 10 times?!!!