1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IN HENRY COUNTY JOHN DOE: HM, 18-24, found in Knightstown, IN - 2 Oct 2003 *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Unidentified 2000 to Present' started by Scorpio, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
    spike and Akoya like this.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

[​IMG]

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6780

Unidentified male found deceased behind an abandoned gas station along SR 109 just south of Interstate 70 in Henry County, ID. He had been deceased less than 24 hours. The investigation revealed that this same male was seen making a purchase at a Wal-Mart in Reynoldsburg, OH two days prior to when his body was found. At the time he was seen driving a red vehicle.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

https://www.facebook.com/HelpIDMe/p...376120190298/1267362213291683/?type=3&theater

#Unidentified in Indiana

On October 2, 2003 a Hispanic, 17-24 year old male was found deceased in Henry County, #Indiana. He was found behind an abandoned gas station along SR 109 just south of Interstate 70. He had been deceased less than 24 hours.

The male had received orthodontic treatment and had braces put on his teeth earlier in life. When he was found he still had old brace brackets still attached to some of his teeth. He might have self-removed some brace brackets.

The investigation revealed that this same male was seen making a purchase at a Walmart in #Reynoldsburg, Ohio two days prior to when his body was found. At the time he was seen driving a red vehicle.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/police-stumped-in-identifying-slain-man

Police Stumped In Identifying Slain Man

Henry County sheriff's investigators are seeking the public's help in trying to identify a man found dead outside an abandoned building near Knightstown last week.

Two police officers found the body Thursday near Indiana 109 and Interstate 70.

Police said the victim (pictured, left), a Hispanic male, appeared to be between 17 and 22 years old. He was 5 feet 2 inches tall and 108 pounds. Police said his jaw was wired shut, most likely from extensive dental work.

The man died of a gunshot wound to the head at close range, police said. In order to generate some leads in the case, investigators are taking the unusual step of releasing a photo of taken of the victim's corpse, RTV6's Vince Robinson reported.

Henry County Sheriff Kim Cronk said that while it is a regrettable way for friends or family to see a loved one, they had no other alternative in trying to find the victim's killer.

"Basically, at this point, we have to turn to the public to try to assist us to identify the individual because we have no leads on who may have shot this person," Cronk said.

"We feel that once we make the identification, hopefully we can come up with some leads. At least we'll know who the person runs with, and what associations he's had."

Investigators are sending the man's fingerprints to an FBI lab for processing.

The guns have been taken from the two undercover Indianapolis police officers who found the victim. Ballistics tests will be conducted later this week, Robinson reported, but investigators said the officers are not suspects.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Henry County Sheriff's Department at (765) 529-4901.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://www.missingkids.org/poster/NCMU/1184596

[​IMG]

An unidentified male was found deceased behind an abandoned gas station along SR 109 just south of Interstate 70 in Henry County, Indiana. He had been deceased less than 24 hours. The male is described to be Hispanic, 17-24 years old. He stood approximately 5’2” tall and weighed 108 lbs. He had short coarse black hair and had a mustache and thin goatee. He had a small mole on his upper right shoulder and another on his lower back. He was found wearing a blue sweatshirt with “Malone USA” written on the front, brown work pants underneath “UConn” warm up sweatpants, white socks, white Reebok sneakers, and a white Duke baseball cap. The male also had old brace brackets still attached to some of his teeth from previous orthodontic treatment. The investigation revealed that this same male was seen making a purchase at a Wal-Mart in Reynoldsburg, Ohio two days prior to when his body was found. At the time he was seen driving a red vehicle. The image above is a facial reconstruction completed by a NCMEC forensic artists and depicts what the male may have looked like in life.

ChrisClimbsTN, spike and Akoya like this.
  6. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    John Doe was seen alive in a Walmart in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, two days before his murder.

Kimster, spike and Akoya like this.
  7. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

[​IMG]

John Doe's body was found south of Interstate 70 near Knightsville, Indiana.

8. Jason Futch

Jason Futch The King of the Highway

02C62848-4417-42CF-AED4-5DB9DA44FF77.jpeg

To me he kinda looks like Jose Berrios. When I discuss this case with others, I like to compare the composite with this photo to make my point. I feel like NCMEC didn’t do too well of a job on the reconstruction...however the fact that the morgue photos show a heavily foundationed dead man with swelling, I think this would perfectly match him....not to a T, but still.

spike, Kimster, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jason Futch

I just looked into his case a little more. It looks like no one has attempted to match him with other missing persons in the United States since he was uploaded to NamUs. Perhaps we should start an active search for missing teens/adults that look similar to him? I have a gut feeling he is from a New England state. Not everyone just happens to wear UConn clothing.

Akoya, Kimster, spike and 1 other person like this.
  10. ChrisClimbsTN

ChrisClimbsTN New Member

I recently stumbled onto this UID from a Facebook group and started Googling around and found this message thread.

On another site, someone suggested the undercover police from Indianapolis should be looked at again as they found the body within the first 72 hours an hour from their own territory. In every part of this...the details just aren't there to offer explanations.

How did they determine this person just happened to be at the Walmart almost 3 hours away...in another state? No payments cards, no vehicle and they were able to connect him back to Walmart?

One thing that I found interesting that did raise my eyebrow was this statement: And Steve Staletovich with IPD says that when the shooter is brought to justice "They are not going to be able to say, 'I didn't do it, it must have been the guys who found the body.' We can say no, because those guns have been checked.".
    https://www.wthr.com/article/henry-county-murder-mystery

How short-sighted can you be? If it were an officer to fire a round as declared murder, they aren't going to use their gun and probably not the same caliber. Who knows if gunpowder residue testing was conducted at that time.

What really turned out interesting is this Steve Staletovich was arrested for a DWI five years later.
    https://www.theindychannel.com/news/indy-police-officer-arrested-accused-of-dwi

A longtime Indianapolis police officer was arrested early New Year's Day in Hamilton County on suspicion of drunken driving, police said.

Sgt. Steve Staletovich, who has been an officer in Indianapolis since 1984 and used to be a spokesman for his department, was arrested early Tuesday after a Sheridan police officer saw him driving the wrong way on a one-way street at about 2 a.m., Hamilton County authorities said.

Police said a test showed Staletovich's blood-alcohol level was right at the legal limit for drivers: 0.08. He told police he had been celebrating the new year with friends, authorities said.

He was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Kimster, spike and Scorpio like this.
  11. ChrisClimbsTN

ChrisClimbsTN New Member

Photos of the area as it is most recently....

Image 12.png

Akoya, Kimster, spike and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jason Futch

There is a whole lot that doesn’t add up with this investigation. So far, the police don’t want to say anything (after directly inquiring about the case to Detective Ed Manning with HCSO). What would be very helpful I would think is releasing these so called stills and video of the John Doe making these so called purchases at the Walmart and the vehicle he was driving. I think it would do more help than harm to do this.

13. ChrisClimbsTN

ChrisClimbsTN New Member

I agree Jason. Just really odd! It's like they don't want to solve it. I wonder if this kid was an informant or something bigger. I try not to let my imagination run too wild. But as outsiders, we aren't privy to all the evidence.

How hard is it...in this day in age....to contact all states for vehicle registration where a red car that is similar to to such make and model that did not immediately renew its registration or allowed the auto-insurance to lapse. There are way too many tools to help narrow this down to a list that can then be searched through. We know the age....race, etc. There are factors that would narrow the list down quickly.

I guess when it's a nobody...they won't spend anytime on it. No one is pushing for his resolve.

Akoya, Kimster and Jason Futch like this.
  14. Jason Futch

I think one of the biggest concerns about this case is that there isn’t enough interest in it from the “sleuthing” community (I say this with all due respect to WS’ers and CW’ers). On top of this, there isn’t enough of us in the Indiana area or close to Henry County (I’m limited to what I can do because I’m in Oregon). If there was someway to be able to get more public involvement in the case, I think HCSO would change their tune on this case. That or reopen the investigation into the detectives that found this Doe.

One thing that I wonder is this: how did two police officers “suddenly” check this abandoned gas station and “suddenly” just find this body within 24 hours of this person being dead? If this Doe was spotted in a car and was shopping at Walmart, how come he didn’t carry a wallet? There are so many questions about this case it boggles me and others who have looked at this case.

Additionally, I checked all over NamUs and I haven’t been able to find anyone close to this John Doe in th NE or anywhere in the US that fits the time frame. I even searched as far back as 1997 for missing persons in the US, which tells me he wasn’t reported missing.

Until HCSO gets it together and slips more info, then we won’t be able to get to the bottom of anything.

Kimster and Akoya like this.
  15. ChrisClimbsTN

ChrisClimbsTN New Member

That's about the sum of it. The two UCOs is very peculiar. I want to believe all LEOs are honorable/respectable people, but history demonstrates otherwise.

I live in TN, but my employer has a location not that far from the crime scene. I don't get called to that location often, but if I do...I very much would like to go to the site. If a person could visit the site/town, how would one proceed? Stop at some local businesses and ask around to see if anything has leaked since the discovery? I'm thinking realtors, lumber store, auto-mechanics, etc. might be a source of additional information as they come in contact with the locals daily.

Do you know for instance...was the car recovered at the CS? Was he murdered at that location or dumped there?

Kimster likes this.
  16. ChrisClimbsTN

ChrisClimbsTN New Member

Kimster likes this.
  17. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

One thing a member here did for the "Pete Doe" UID was make up fliers and pass them around the area. When I learned of Swamp Mountain Doe, not too far from my area, I passed around pictures of what she was wearing when she was found in hopes of jogging someone's memory. The case is VERY old and so I didn't get tips, but at least I got the word around again.

Akoya likes this.
  18. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Akoya likes this.
  19. ChrisClimbsTN

ChrisClimbsTN New Member

Great idea Kimster! Thank you for the welcoming!

Kimster likes this.