1. WISCONSIN: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 13-year-old Jayme Closs, who was determined to be missing after her parents were found murdered in Barron, WI.
    There is currently no suspect or vehicle information, but Jayme's life is believed to be in extreme danger.
    Click HERE for more information

Dismiss Notice
  2. OCTOBER IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH
    Domestic Violence Awareness Month evolved from the “Day of Unity” held in October 1981
    and conceived by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
    Click Here for Resources
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Identified persons - side by side composites & located matches

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

For posting side by sides in cases where people have been identified. This is in order to help us get more familiar with putting a face in our minds as we try to match composites with missing persons. I've been told by an expert in this field that this is good practice.

MULDER, Jenny, patsella and 8 others like this.
  2. Kimster

Jimmy, MULDER, Jenny and 5 others like this.
  3. Kimster

AG program helps identify skeletal remains found in 2008
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The skeletal remains, found in September 2008 along Township Road 26 in Holmes County, were identified this week as Cheryl Wilson of Toledo.

Wilson was last seen in Toledo in September 2007.

The LINK Program was established through the Attorney General's Office in 1999 to help match DNA taken from family members of missing individuals to DNA from unidentified remains. Samples of DNA submitted by family members as part of the LINK Program are compared only to DNA samples of unidentified remains submitted through similar programs nationwide.
    Cheryl Wilson.
    http://www.norwalkreflector.com/article/7405371

:vigil: Prayers for Cheryl Wilson's loved ones.

MULDER, Jenny, emccoy040815 and 3 others like this.
  4. Kimster

[​IMG]

Homicide victim found in July 1982 in Houston, Texas

IDENTIFIED in 2014 as Michelle Garvey (14) of New London Connecticut.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Advocate and 6 others like this.
  5. Kimster

6. katydid

katydid Well-Known Member

that is fascinating. Thank You!

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Active Member

I've always been fascinated by those who painstakingly and tirelessly go through composite-after-composite attempting to match them up with missing persons because, as far as I can see when I look at many of the composites (i.e. sketched, molded), I find that a lot of them bare no resemblance at all to the actual person once identified. The ones posted here ^ @Kimster difinately resemble those identified, especially Carol Shapiro's and Michelle Garvey's and, while Cheryl Wilson's isn't as alike, it at least reflects enough of her most prominent features to warrant inquiry (e.g., cheekbones, upper lip, eyebrows, and hair texture). I'm just curious - to those who do a lot of this - what are some of the lessons you've learned and taken away from doing this? What is the preferred method of composite that you've found has the most accuracy; sketched, computer generated, molded, etc.? Are there certain features depicted by the artist that are more reliable (alike) than others; for example, nose structure, eyebrows, chin, cheekbones, etc.? Are there composite artists who you've found to be routinely better than others? I have tons of questions I've always wanted to ask on this subject but I'll leave it here for now. TIA

8. Kimster

Just as all of us are drawn differently, I believe we perceive art differently. For me, the more realistic composites are easier, but others' minds might perceive a sketch easier. That's just my take on it and am curious to see others respond to your questions.

There are a lot more side by sides I want to put here. I need 48 hours in each day instead of 24, yes?

MULDER, Jenny, ~Lyric~ and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kimster

This one for example. The sketch would have had me looking for a much older woman.

MULDER, ~Lyric~ and truthbtold like this.
  10. truthbtold

truthbtold Active Member

Here's an example of what I'm referring to in my previous post when it comes to the composite and the actual identified person not showing much resemblance (at least to me):

Identified is Lettitia Robinson from Montgomery, Alabama
    LettitiaRobinson_MontgomeryAlabama.jpg LettitiaRobinson_MoldComposite.jpg
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Porchli...2c089866c63681daa0227e79161a2&showtopic=18912

The only feature I'm able to identify that is fairly close is the upper lip (how they curl up on both sides). I'm curious to know what others think because I may have to accept that I'm just not cut out to do this.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, patsella and 2 others like this.
  11. Kimster

AGREED! Those are the most difficult of all! There isn't a way in all the world I would have matched her!

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Active Member

Thanks for responding Kimster! What I noticed immediately with her composite was that her high cheekbones and pointy chin were depicted extremely well. The nose isn't too far off either...

MULDER, ~Lyric~ and Kimster like this.
  13. Kimster

MULDER and ~Lyric~ like this.
  14. truthbtold

truthbtold Active Member

Yeah, well I went over to the Porchlight site and thought I'd dive in and, after starting with the obvious by comparing one victim's forensic composite mold to all those who've been reported missing around that time in that state, I found at least two who I thought could be a match - course then I figured that can't be possible because surely investigators and/or searching friends/family members must have, at the very least, already looked into them... Is there a way to find out who's been ruled out to avoid redundancy? TIA

MULDER and Kimster like this.
  15. ~Lyric~

~Lyric~ Bronze Member

Hi Truthbtold and :hithere:

I agree about finding out who has been ruled out. Sometimes that gets lost by the wayside, looking at those images for Baby Doe that was found on Deer Island. Unless you happened to catch someone saying that child has been ruled out, its so heartbreaking to go through all those images.

Love the thread Kimster!

MULDER and Kimster like this.
  16. Kimster

MULDER likes this.
  17. GGE

GGE GGE = GonnaGetEm

18. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

19. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I never would have made the connection here. The composite looks like a more narrow and longer face.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Advocate and 2 others like this.
  20. Kimster

patsella, Looking4you, MULDER and 4 others like this.