1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Illinois Police Officer, Lt. Joe Gliniewicz, Shot and Killed - or Suicide?

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by fran, Sep 1, 2015.

1. President Pope Dewey

President Pope Dewey Sanity is a state of mind

2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Hopefully something similar will be resurrected under a new name.

3. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

Illinois 'G.I. Joe' cop staged his death to make himself look like a hero but actually committed suicide after 'stealing thousands of dollars' from a youth group
    • Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was thought to have died in the line of duty
    • Authorities said they now believe he committed suicide in the woods
    • Police believe he killed himself after panicking that his mismanagement of a local youth group's funds was about to come to light

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cussions-mismanaging-funds.html#ixzz3yPGjWgTc

4. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

CNN is running a Special Report about this case. It airs again at midnight EST and I think they run them later in the week too.

5. fran

Crooked 'G.I. Joe' cop who staged his own murder 'tried to hire gangster to murder investigator who was about to expose him for embezzling money from youth programs'
    • Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was initially thought to have died in the line of duty in Fox Lake, Illinois
    • But authorities say they now believe he committed suicide in the woods
    • Police believe he killed himself after panicking that his mismanagement of a local youth group's funds was about to come to light
    • Investigators now allege he plotted to murder an official who was about to uncover his fraudulent activities

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cussions-mismanaging-funds.html#ixzz3ySrvYyeY

6. walkie-talkie

walkie-talkie Can you hear me now?

7. Kimster

And, of course, he left her holding the bag.

walkie-talkie, daisy7, fran and 2 others like this.
  8. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

I don't give a crap about that. She's just as culpable as he is, IMO.

9. Kimster

I dunno. Guys like that can tend to bully their wives. I'm waiting for the trial on this one.

Cousin Dupree and Softail like this.
  10. Softail

Softail Well-Known Member

Grand jury indicts Fox Lake officer widow Melodie Gliniewicz

FOX LAKE, Ill. (WLS) --
    The widow of a Fox Lake police officer who died in a staged suicide has surrendered to the Lake County sheriff Wednesday after being indicted by a grand jury.

The indictment was read in court as Melodie Gliniewicz, 51, surrendered at the sheriff's office Wednesday afternoon.
    A grand jury met Wednesday morning and considered evidence in the case of Fox Lake Police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz.

Lt. Gliniewicz died Sept. 1. Authorities claim he staged his suicide to look like a homicide because he feared discovery of his embezzlement from a youth group.

Bond was set at $50,000

http://abc7chicago.com/news/grand-jury-indicts-fox-lake-officer-widow-melodie-gliniewicz/1175908/

11. Softail

Whatever. I don't believe a word she says. :maddening:

Mel's statement:

Melodie Gliniewicz's lawyer released a statement saying: "Melodie has suffered greatly over the past few months and continues to move her family forward after the emotionally traumatizing events of September 1, 2015. Considering Melodie's cooperation with law enforcement, she is devastated by the decision to bring charges against her. Melodie is a victim of her husband's secret actions and looks forward to her day in Court to show the world her innocence."

http://abc7chicago.com/news/grand-jury-indicts-fox-lake-officer-widow-melodie-gliniewicz/1175908/

12. Softail

So annoyed that she posted bail right away and went home last night. No doubt from money she didn't earn.

:maddening:

13. Kimster

I do wish her assets would be frozen until the truth comes out. Do you think they did that?

Cousin Dupree, fran and Softail like this.
  14. Softail

I know they froze all of the accounts that had donated money in them. She went to court, and I believe she still got some of the money. I'll have to go back and check to be sure.

15. Softail

Looks like the accounts are still frozen, but she got money from a personal account, and DONATIONS! :maddening:

Gliniewicz bank accounts to remain frozen through Feb. 2

Bank accounts belonging to Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz and his widow will remain frozen for another month as an investigation into the deceased officer's alleged thefts continues.

Attorneys representing Melodie Gliniewicz, 51, are seeking to overturn a court order freezing several of the family's personal savings and checking accounts. On Tuesday, her attorneys said they agreed to let prosecutors extend the freeze on seven bank accounts through Feb. 2.

About $4,200 from her personal savings was released in November, according to court records. Melodie Gliniewicz was also given access in December to another $33,500, consisting of a paycheck and donations received after the officer's Sept. 1 death, prosecutors said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...icz-bank-accounts-st-0106-20160105-story.html

16. Kimster

That's not right! This is another example of why we never promote donation sites! If they can't monitor the validity of them locally, how can any of us know from far away in Internet Land?

17. fran

I'm sure those donations were made before it was determined that the officer committed suicide because he was going to be found out to be a thief.
    Most of those who made donations probably wish they hadn't.

JMHO
    fran

18. Kimster

Gotcha, but still! They thought it was going to someone they could trust! DON'T GIVE MONEY TO PEOPLE. That's what I'm saying. Find a cause where they are willing to show you their financials, which is required of a legitimate non-profit, and review them before throwing away your money!

Cousin Dupree, spike, Softail and 2 others like this.
  19. Softail

They were Fran. Mostly right after he died, and mostly around the time of his funeral and the week after. I donated. It really pisses me off! There is really no way to give money back that came from the deli or others that raised money.

The donation I'm not sure about was from an organization who donates to fallen officers' families. They demanded the money back, but I'm not sure where that stands now.

20. Softail

I totally agree with you. I will not be so quick to have sympathy ever again. At least not in a monetary way.