1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NV IRMA MKRTCHYAN: Missing from Las Vegas, NV - 15 January 2014 - Age 45

Discussion in 'Missing 2010 to 2014' started by DaisyChains, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mkrtchyan_irma.html

• Missing Since: January 19, 2014 from Las Vegas, Nevada
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Height and Weight: 5'5, 120 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Mkrtchyan is of Armenian descent.
    [​IMG]

Details of Disappearance

Mkrtchyan was last seen near south Durango Drive and the West Desert Innin Las Vegas, Nevada on January 19, 2014. She worked as an insurance broker for Farmers Insurance and met with a client at the an apartment complex in the area. She sent some of her relatives a text saying she was going to California for a business trip, but texted her boss to say she had to miss work to attend a funeral in California. She has never been heard from again. She texted her loved ones saying the battery on her phone was dying because she'd left the charger at home, something that's uncharacteristic of her, because she needs the phone for her job.
    Mkrtchyan lived with her ex-husband, Ara Marutyan, in the 8900 block of Coast Walk Circle at the time of her disappearance. They have two children in college and were divorced in 2007 after a sixteen-year marriage; he claims the parting was amicable. Marutyan failed a lie detector test after Mkrtchyan's disappearance, but he maintains his innocence. The couple's son was also investigated, but police haven't named any suspects in Mkrtchyan's case. She left behind all her clothes and other belongings.

Authorities believe foul play was involved in Mkrtchyan's disappearance and they're investigating it as a possible homicide.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/irma-mkrtchyan-missing-from-lasvegas-nevada.732/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    spike, MadgeS and Kimster like this.
  2. DaisyChains

Found a UID with a PME of 2014 somewhat matching Irma in Clark County, NV. DNA taken, but tests still not complete yet. She was found in a shallow grave. May not be her, but if not then who?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13838

MadgeS and Kimster like this.
  3. DaisyChains

4. Kimster

Kimster Administrator Staff Member

"
    Circumstances
    On 03/17/2015, a passerby was walking in the area of Lone Mountain, near the Lone Mountain Cemetery (Carson City, Nevada), when he observed the decedent's tennis shoe sticking out of an apparent shallow grave. Emergency personnel responded to the scene, used a knife to cut the shoe, and observed that the decedent's foot was inside of the shoe. Emergency personnel excavated the decedent from a shallow grave. The decedent was fully clothed, and skeletonized with attached tissue".

Yipes! What a grizzly scene. However, Vegas is quite a ways from Carson City.

MadgeS and DaisyChains like this.
  5. Kimster

Attached Files:

MadgeS, GGE and DaisyChains like this.
  6. DaisyChains

Yup! It's been frustrating going through many of the UIDs, particularly the more recent ones, because the post mortem interval/probable year of death are left blank. maybe the conditions of the desert effect the coroners ability to determine post mortem interval? Idk :(

7. DaisyChains

What is so sad about this case is that Irma's kids do not seem very concerned in finding her, particularly one of her sons. Irma's brother who lives on the east coast has been trying to get more info on her. It is likely her own children are covering for her killer and one may have even helped in the crime.

It is a very twisted case.

8. DaisyChains

Wonderful Article! http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/man-says-las-vegas-police-think-he-s-suspect-ex-wife-s-disappearance

By TOM RAGAN
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

"She has a soft spot for Snickers bars. She admires conservatives like U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and former President Ronald Reagan. And she embraces the philosophy that “It’s not about being the best; it’s about being better than yesterday.”

At least that is what Irma Mkrtchyan, a Las Vegas woman who has been missing for two months, wrote on her Facebook page for all to see. It’s full of photographs, of nature, of the typical inspiring quotes. It’s also full of comments from friends who are worried about her and have turned to social media to help find her by posting her photograph, over and over and over again.

“This is not a joke,” one friend wrote. “I worked with her.”

And it’s not being treated like a joke.

This week, Las Vegas police announced the disappearance of Mkrtchyan, 45, a Farmer’s Insurance agent, is now considered a homicide.

And yet in the same news release, and in a follow-up telephone call, Metro’s public information office offered few details, failing to mention even what she was last wearing, as is typical when police seek a missing person or a crime suspect.

Police will say only she was last seen in the vicinity of South Durango Drive and Desert Inn Road in the third week of January.

A SUSPECT

Mkrtchayan was living with her ex-husband, Ara Marutyan, 47, when she vanished. He said he last saw her at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 19, when she left their house in The Lakes to meet an insurance client. She never came back.

The next day, he said, she sent him a text saying she was going to California on business. In a separate text to her boss, she said she was going to miss work to go to a funeral in Los Angeles, he said.

Marutyan said detectives now think that he had something to do with the disappearance. In mid-February, he said, he failed a polygraph test, though he insists he didn’t lie when asked whether he ever hurt anybody or whether he ever lied for personal gain.

“I told them the truth, that I’ve hurt people, and that I’ve lied,” he said. “I told them I hurt people when I was in the Army, that I hurt people enough that they bled; and I told them that I’ve lied all the time, like everybody else, to get a job or to keep a job.

“But then they said, ‘No, no, no, did you ever kill anybody or lie to the point where you went to jail?’ And then they told me to say, ‘No.’ Everything was controlled.”

Police searched his home in the 8900 block of Coast Walk Circle. They seized his laptop, his cellphone and $74,600 in cash he kept in “a secret compartment” known only to his family.

He said the money was his savings, withdrawn from his bank during the recession in the fall of 2008.

“They took my money, but it looked like they were going after a letter I wrote to the children in case I died,” said Marutyan, a former limousine driver who said he expects to be arrested soon. “It’s like they’re following some sort of protocol, and they’re building this case against me, but they’re not questioning anybody else.

“It’s like I’m automatically guilty because I’m the ex.”

Mkrtchyan’s older brother, David Mkrtchyan, 50, said he believes his former brother-in-law has something to do with his sister’s disappearance, and he even went as far as sending a letter to Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., to ask for help. The Senate majority leader’s office responded that the matter would best be handled by police.

“She was last seen with him,” Mkrtchyan said in an interview from New York City.

The ex-husband said he thinks the letter to Reid may have prompted police to act quickly.

He also said he would never harm Irma. The two married in 1991 and moved from New York to Las Vegas in 2002. They bought a house in The Lakes and raised their children, both of whom graduated from Spring Valley High School. He said their 2007 divorce was amicable, so much so that they still live together.

What’s baffling, he said, is that she simply left.

“It’s not like her to take off like this,” he said.

A JAUNT TO MEXICO?

On Monday Marutyan’s daughter, Diana Marutyan, 20, flew home from Illinois, where she attends college. Police met her at the airport, seized her laptop computer and invited her to answer a few questions downtown at police headquarters.

“They asked me where my mother’s body was, and I told them I didn’t know because it’s true. I don’t know,” she said in an interview at her father’s side. “I don’t know what happened to her or where she is.”

Police also seized a cellphone and laptop belonging to Arthur Marutyan, 18, a UNLV student who moved back home since his mother’s disappearance. He thinks his mother may have gone to Baja California with a love interest.

He and his father both said she had been talking about Mexico before her disappearance.

They said they didn’t tell police that because they feared the FBI would take over the case and police would stop looking for her in Las Vegas.

But now they feel it’s something they should disclose.

The father and son also said they believe that Mkrtchyan recently was communicating online with a mysterious pastor and that she had been texting him and calling him with what they described as “her own phone,” not one used by the family.

“But police have written him off as a suspect,” the son said.

“I can’t find her passport anywhere,” he said.

NOT ENOUGH GRIEF?

He said that he, too, became a suspect when he moved home from the dorm at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

“They think I was trying to get rid of suspicious things, and clean things up,” he said. “But I really just wanted to be with my father during this tough time.”

Then they started asking him why, unlike his sister, he wasn’t constantly calling his mother’s cellphone. And, he said, they wanted to know why he wasn’t he grieving.

“People grieve in different ways,” he said. “What — do they want me to create this shrine for her? I wasn’t calling her because I kept getting her voice mail; then I finally gave up.”

He said that he called his aunt in Los Angeles to see if his mother was at a funeral there and was told she was.

But the aunt called back the following day and said she hadn’t seen Mkrtchyan at all.

Contact reporter Tom Ragan at tragan@reviewjournal.com or 702-224-5512."

Kimster and GGE like this.
  9. GGE

GGE GGE = GonnaGetEm

I have strong feelings about this case and have since right after it happened. I won't go into details or reasons except to say I don't know anyone in the case in any way, and I live nowhere near there whatsoever. But I do believe the police have been looking in the right direction all along, and I think she's dead and homicide might very well be way too light of a word to describe it, and the planning that went into it. Not entirely sure about rules here regarding stating opinions but to be clear, this is IMO. (I know Kimster said it's more relaxed here but I like to stay on the safe side anyway.)

DaisyChains likes this.
  10. GGE

GGE GGE = GonnaGetEm

DaisyChains, do you have a casemap handy? I know we've spoken about this case before off-forum a year or two ago, whenever this happened. (we know each other from a different forum, no not WS cuz I know that would be what people would think :) ). Not sure if we had a map at the time. I might be able to go dig one up.

DaisyChains likes this.
  11. DaisyChains

Hey my love! @GGE

:daisy:

Nope I don't have a case map. I think what you are remembering maybe is that I did have a list of areas the SAR searched in regard to Irma, but would have to share via PM bc it's sensitive info that they sent to me. I may not even have it anymore. Will look through my inbox at the other site to see if it's still there and if so will shoot over to you via PM.

Our concerns were that her body was likely in the desert in CA bc her husband kept saying she sent a text saying she was going to a funeral in CA... How creepy and ominous!!!!!!! I'm starting to remember this all now as that time in 2014 was a tough time for me when I lost a family member. The husband probably sent that text from her phone to his phone after he killed her IMO. Ugh.

GGE likes this.
  12. GGE

GGE GGE = GonnaGetEm

I'm trying to recall why I have such a strong image in my mind of a one-story building with a long walkway up to it that is set back from the street but not restricted from view at all, on reddish sand with an expanse of sandy desert type stuff out behind it and maybe like one tree and maybe a shed or something. I don't know if it was a dream, or another case, or why I associate it with Irma. I thought if I saw a casemap I might see something similar and have my memory refreshed. thanks anyway, you're reminding me of stuff I'd forgotten. It's good to breathe new life into these older cases! ETA: I foudn a map, nope no idea what I'm recalling in regards to that home.. oh well!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    DaisyChains likes this.
  13. DaisyChains

What Irma would say to her babies if she could:

My sweet dear children,

The day I gave birth to you I knew what my life's purpose was. I loved you from the moment I knew about your existence in my belly. I really need your help my sweethearts because I am afraid you are the only ones that might have a clue as to who hurt me and where I am now.

I know life can get confusing and sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest decision you will ever make, but trust me when I tell you that I did not put you here so you could be dragged down into all of this drama.

I want you to live a happy and full life. When you have your first child I will be there in spirit cheering for the new life, but not with the same amount of joy I held in my heart when I held you in my arms for the first time. No, no joy can ever compare to the joy you have when you look into your child's eyes for the first time. It is pure magic.

My sweet babies If you know anything, no matter how small it may seem, please let the police know. They are good men and women. They just want justice for your mommy. They will help you make sense of this.

Love always and forever,
    Mommy

14. DaisyChains

Seeing now when going through my correspondence that the area of interest I told the SAR org about in regard to Irma was in the Mesquite Wilderness in NV. Didn't realize that this Jane Doe was found around the time I told them to look there. Crazy coincidence!

They had reached out to me after I said that maybe Irma was buried in Mesquite wilderness area on a forum. Perhaps the UID had just been found in the Mesquite Wilderness area and the info not released publicly when I made my comment? and they wanted to make sure I didn't have any inside knowledge about the UID found in Mesquite? Idk.

GGE, Kimster and MadgeS like this.
  15. Kimster

Oh now that is very interesting! I wish these organizations would stay in contact so we know what works and what doesn't. What's helpful and what isn't, KWIM?

GGE and DaisyChains like this.
  16. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

I admire you DaisyChains and Kimster for your hard work on this case. :hug:

Kimster, GGE and DaisyChains like this.
  17. DaisyChains

Definitely. I think a lot of them work independent of law enforcement out in the desert as well. The one that contacted me was red rock SAR. Once I told the searcher about the specific area she let me know it was helpful info and never got back to me. Could be bc investigation is ongoing. Hm. But I totally know what you mean!

Shoutout to RRSAR! They have true servant hearts!

http://redrocksar.org

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    GGE likes this.
  18. DaisyChains

Thanks love! Thanks for checking out Irma's case. @GGE knows a good bit about the case as well @MadgeS

Let's keep it alive!

:grouphug:

GGE and MadgeS like this.
  19. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

:grouphug:back atcha!

GGE and DaisyChains like this.
  20. DaisyChains

Ah I'm seeing this Jane Doe was found in Mesquite, NV which isn't the same Mesquite Wilderness I was thinking Irma could have been left. Strange thing is both areas are called Mesquite! Maybe my mentioning "mesquite" was the connection that made them contact me after they found the remains. They found the UID around the time I said I believed Irma might be in the Mesquite Wilderness. The info on the UID wasn't made public until a year later after I made my comments and was contacted by RRSAR. That's the only connection I can make.

Kimster, GGE and MadgeS like this.