1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY IRONDEQUOIT JANE DOE: WF, 14-23, found in Monroe County, NY - 31 July 1988

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1980 to 1989' started by Akoya, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I think it's worth a shot. Have you sent her in already?

Akoya and spike like this.
  2. WitchHazel

WitchHazel Member

No I haven't-not sure how to do it

3. Kimster

Local Contact (ME/C or Other)
    Agency Monroe Cnty Med Examiners Ofc
    Phone 585-753-5905
    Case Manager
    Name Robert Zerby
    Phone (585) 753-5914

Akoya and spike like this.
  4. WitchHazel

WitchHazel Member

Thanks!

spike likes this.
  5. Kimster

No problem! They might not be around today, since it's the holiday.

spike and Akoya like this.
  6. WitchHazel

WitchHazel Member

Turns out, I submitted this 2 years ago to Lori Bruski at NAMUS, and she told me that Sylvia's already been considered for this Jane Doe by both NAMUS and law enforcement. She did not tell me why she isn't on the ruled-out list.

spike and Kimster like this.
  7. Kimster

If she said "considered", that doesn't mean ruled out, does it?? Maybe they're still researching?

8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

This is the current rule out list. Erica's name is not on the list.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/2607

Phone 585-753-5905
    Case Manager
    Name Robert Zerby
    Phone (585) 753-5914

Exclusions
    The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
    First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
    Barbara Aleksivich 1949 New York
    Lynn Bandringa 1945 California
    Bonita Bickwit 1958 New York
    Marie Blee 1964 Colorado
    Sandra Breed 1948 New York
    Niki Britten 1953 Oregon
    Linda Britton 1944 Ohio
    Judith Brown 1957 New York
    Barbara Bruno 1961 New York
    Rosemary Buck 1953 New York
    Cynthia Constantine 1954 New York
    Charlotte Heimann 1954 New York
    Lynn Luray 1948 California
    Robyn Pettinato 1960 Montana
    Mary Robinson 1953 New York
    Denise Sheehy 1954 New York
    Sheryl Tillinghast 1956 New York
    Rebecca Triska 1943 Pennsylvania
    Mary Wesolowski 1958 New York

spike likes this.
  9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

She's not showing up on the rule out list.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/2607

Phone 585-753-5905
    Case Manager
    Name Robert Zerby
    Phone (585) 753-5914

Exclusions
    The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
    First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
    Barbara Aleksivich 1949 New York
    Lynn Bandringa 1945 California
    Bonita Bickwit 1958 New York
    Marie Blee 1964 Colorado
    Sandra Breed 1948 New York
    Niki Britten 1953 Oregon
    Linda Britton 1944 Ohio
    Judith Brown 1957 New York
    Barbara Bruno 1961 New York
    Rosemary Buck 1953 New York
    Cynthia Constantine 1954 New York
    Charlotte Heimann 1954 New York
    Lynn Luray 1948 California
    Robyn Pettinato 1960 Montana
    Denise Sheehy 1954 New York
    Sheryl Tillinghast 1956 New York
    Rebecca Triska 1943 Pennsylvania
    Mary Wesolowski 1958 New York

WitchHazel and spike like this.
  10. WitchHazel

WitchHazel Member

I contacted Mr Zerby, who told me that Sylvia was only a tentative rule-out because of the dentals (even though Sylvia had no dental records on file). He said they were going to do a DNA comparison in order to know for sure (I was under the impression that Itondequoit Jane Doe had no DNA profile, though, but maybe...). In any event, maybe sometime soon, we'll find out for certain.

spike likes this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
    WitchHazel and spike like this.
  12. WitchHazel

WitchHazel Member

According to Robert Zerby, after comparing DNA samples, it has been determined that no relationship exists between Irondequoit Jane Doe and Sylvia Lwowski.

Kimster and spike like this.
  13. Kimster

Thank you for trying!

Back to the drawing board. :sigh:

14. Redrover

Redrover Well-Known Member

Some things strike me about this Jane Doe. She was buried in a shallow grave at the rear of a property. Looking at the property on Google Earth, (130 Bay Knoll Drive, Rochester NY) , it is a U shaped road lined with houses. I feel the Doe, her killer, or both have to have ties to this neighborhood. I can't imagine someone would kill someone, transport them to a random neighborhood, and then bury them behind a random house. Burying a body in a random person's back yard is risky. You raise the odds of being seen 100 fold if not more. There are some woods that would offer some cover, but why risk it if you can go further out of the city and reduce that risk of being seen considerably. A dog in a back yard in any of the nearby homes could sound an alarm. Again, too risky. Furthermore, the homeowner would likely have noticed freshly dug up dirt pretty quickly. I wonder how long the homeowner who discovered the Jane Doe had lived there and if the previous homeowner, if there was one, was interviewed. The possibility does exist that the body was put in the ground prior to the development of the neighborhood. Makes me wonder how long those houses have been there. Just my two cents!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Kimster and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  15. The Coffeenator

The Coffeenator Fluent in crapanese

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/rochester/130-bay-knoll-rd-rochester-ny-14622--2013437344
    From what I understand, the edge of the property where Jane Doe was found, lies down a hill or sloping landscape behind the house and is accessible from a clearing further down Newport Road and toward the boat docks. The clearing is located on the left and is surrounded by thick trees, which makes the area very well-hidden. Follow that clearing up takes you back around and right up to the rear of the property on 130 Bay Knoll Road. There is really no need to enter the frontside of the house at all in order to bury a body in the back.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Kimster likes this.
  16. Redrover

These are all good points. Looking at google earth, there are several houses (I counted 18) that have backyards that back up to this wooded area. I wish I could put a pin in the actual area of the woods the remains were found so I could get a better idea of exactly where they were found. In my mind, if these houses were there at the time the body was placed there, it is not the ideal place to bury a body and it is surprising to me that it remained hidden as long as it did with the amount of houses in the area. Years of kids playing in the woods etc. So in my mind I guess there are a few options why someone would have buried the body there. Either the houses, or most of the houses were not there and it was a little more secluded or the perp was in that area when the young lady was killed and moving the body somewhere else was more risky than putting it in the ground ASAP. Like you pointed out, the marina does have a road that has a straight shot to the general area of where she was found so that is a possibility she came from that direction and not come within direct view of many of the houses but while moving the body out there the person would have noticed the houses. I would like to know how long that housing development has been there.

After some thought and study of the area on google maps, the inlet the marina is on connects to Lake Ontario. It is quite possible the murder occurred in Canada which is on the other side of the lake. The person then used a boat to transport the body to the other side of the border, docked at the marina, and hid the body. I wonder what security on the lake between Canada and the US was back in the day and if this scenario is as easy as it sounds.

Kimster likes this.
  17. Kimster

I have to wonder if that area back area has been known to have people go and party. When I was in high school we had all kinds of different kegger party spots and we knew who could be seen and how the cars come in and out etc. it could have been someone who was familiar from that area from their youth and knew how to check if they would be seen and how many cars go back there.

18. The Coffeenator

The Coffeenator Fluent in crapanese

Well, since the house was built in 1964, we could assume the 50s and 60s?

First of all: I have a lot on my mind, and I will try to explain it as well as I can (I'm not a native English speaker!), be patient!

Kimster and Redrover, I have also had this in mind, but again from my understanding, the area where the clearing is located is rugged and not easily accessible at all (impromptu backyard parties doesn't seem to fit here) In other words: It is more likely that the person responsible for burying Jane Doe was quite known with the geography of the area and perhaps therefore assumed she would not be discovered for a considerable amount of time.

As for a Canadian connection, I've been thinking about the work force during the housing development of that neighbourhood. Would it be likely that Canadian carpenters/workers worked there? I can imagine a scenario where the crime was committed in Canada, and the perp knowing about that spot simply because they worked there. As you suggested, Redrover, I've also suspected that the perp might have brought Jane Doe over by boat, getting her as far and hidden away as possible, but I have no idea how the boarder control worked (or works) if you arrived by boat over Lake Ontario to the States, or how strict they were.
    So, if Jane Doe was a Canadian, killed somewhere inbetween 1958(ish) and 1988, and buried in a shallow grave in the US... Well, to put it this way: Good luck finding out who she is! :oops:

Kimster likes this.
  19. Kimster

I remember the Canadian border being more difficult to cross than the USA one. However, neither put a lot of effort into it until after 9/11.

spike likes this.
  20. Redrover

I agree. However, looking at the area via Google earth and street view, it does not look like extremely difficult terrain. Maybe a little hilly with trees. However, I can't tell how far the swampy area goes into that area which would change that assessment considerably. Furthermore, I wish I could see a pinpoint on the map of where she was found exactly. That would help evaluate the terrain. I also agree that whoever buried her there was local to that neighborhood. As you noted the area was developed in 1964. Lots of people have moved in and out of the neighborhood I would assume so the list is likely long.

I just find it hard to imagine that someone killed her somewhere else and decided to bury her in a random neighborhood. Again, judging by Google earth, although the wooded area might provide some concealment, it isn't very large at all and 18 houses have backyards that back up to that area. Seems like a risky place to bring a body from elsewhere to bury. Of course this assumes that all of those houses where there when the body was placed there.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Kimster likes this.