1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

UK Jack the Ripper - 1888

Discussion in 'Europe: Cold Cases' started by Lily, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

Well the one I watched wasn't it. So I found "The Missing Evidence" and have it set to record.

Akoya likes this.
  2. ShortWave

ShortWave Fan of Troublemaker

Akoya, GarAndMo49 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  3. Cousin Dupree

Akoya and ShortWave like this.
  4. Cousin Dupree

This does cover Gareth's theory.

Akoya likes this.
  5. ShortWave

I'm watching too...couldn't wait until later!

Akoya and Cousin Dupree like this.
  6. ShortWave

1891(obviously a few years after the murders) census info shows 3 Chas Lechmeres in/around London. One is a 7 yr old. One is a 35 yo living in Surrey (county) and the 3rd is 41 living in London...

Charles A Lechmere
    England and Wales Census, 1891
    Name Charles A Lechmere
    Event Type Census
    Event Date 1891
    County London, Middlesex
    Parish MILE END OLD TOWN
    Ecclesiastical Parish ST ANTHONY STEPNEY
    Sub-District MILE END OLD TOWN EASTERN
    Registration District MILE END OLD TOWN
    Gender Male
    Age 41
    Relationship to Head of Household Head
    Birthplace Soho, London
    Schedule Type Household

7. Cousin Dupree

I think they make a great case for him being Jack the Ripper.

Akoya likes this.
  8. ShortWave

I do too especially him working as a meat deliveryman...kinda explains the pieces that were cut from the victims.

9. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

Jack the Ripper may finally have been unmasked following a claim that the serial killer's last victim was in fact his estranged wife and the real target of his 19th century murder spree.

The theory was put forward by the author of a new book who believes he has evidence that Mary Jane Kelly, a Whitechapel prostitute, was his great aunt and that she was killed by Francis Spurzheim Craig.

Now, in an extraordinary turn of events, the Ministry of Justice has indicated that it will grant the first exhumation licence for the grave of a Ripper victim to establish if the claims are true.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-prostitutes-killed-cover.html#ixzz3lPEfRrXc
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Hmm...well, I'm just finishing Philip Sugden's book "The Complete History Of Jack the Ripper"; I'm going to check the index and skim through the chapter on Mary Kelly to see if any of this is mentioned (granted, my book is copyrighted 2002). The linked article is interesting; need to look into the theory more before I render an opinion.

Akoya, Lily and Cousin Dupree like this.
  10. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

The body of Jack the Ripper’s final victim is set to be exhumed as a new book claims the world’s most famous serial killer was her estranged husband.

The Ministry of Justice has indicated it will grant the first ever exhumation licence for the grave of a Ripper victim after examining the new theory, which is serialised exclusively in The Telegraph.

The author, Dr Wynne Weston-Davies, provided the Government with evidence that Mary Jane Kelly, an East End prostitute, was in fact his great aunt, and that her murder was an act of marital vengeance.

He names the Ripper as Francis Spurzheim Craig, who at the time of the murders in 1888 was a 51-year-old reporter covering the police courts and inquests in the East End of London.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...pper-identity-mystery-solved-in-new-book.html
    excerpts of book serialized at link.

11. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Idk, every time I see yet another 'case closed' theory (with corresponding book, lucratively pitched via the media), I wonder how long it'll be until it's disproved. I just hope to heck, if they do dig poor Mary Kelly up, that they can actually prove something by it. As if the poor woman didn't suffer enough violation already, let her rest in peace!

12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

The question of Lechmere/Cross's guilt or innocence has been bandied about on Casebook for ages.. there's some folk there that die-hard believe he was the Ripper, and have some good arguments for that.

See: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=9056

There's also some really good arguments against .. one of them being, Lechmere went on to live a long and trouble-free life, grandkiddies, etc, for decades after the Ripper murders halted. Folks find it nigh on impossible to reconcile this life with somebody capable of doing what was done to Mary Kelly (and the sheer enormity of the damage to her body often slips my mind.. but the poor woman was literally butchered, destroyed right down to the bone).

There's other good counterpoints, but to me that's a biggie.

Akoya, GarAndMo49 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  13. Cousin Dupree

Dennis Rader seems to have suddenly stopped.

Akoya likes this.
  14. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Yes (or so we're told), because he got married, and presumably some of his needs were fulfilled by whatever went on there.

And then he started again.

15. Cousin Dupree

When did he restart? I thought there was a 20 year stoppage or so. That's if you believe it. He may have continued elsewhere.

Akoya and GarAndMo49 like this.
  16. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

I have a good book on BTK; I'll look this up & post.

17. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

Joseph Otero M 38 January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita Suffocated Plastic bags January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita
    2 Julie Otero F 33 January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita Strangled Rope January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita
    3 Joseph Otero, Jr. M 9 January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita Suffocated Plastic bag January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita
    4 Josephine Otero F 11 January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita Hanged from a drainage pipe Rope January 15, 1974 803 North Edgemoor Street, Wichita
    5 Kathryn Bright F 21 April 4, 1974 3217 East 13th Street North, Wichita Stabbed once in back and lower abdomen Knife April 4, 1974 3217 East 13th Street North, Wichita
    6 Shirley Vian F 24 March 17, 1977 1311 South Hydraulic Street, Wichita Strangled Rope March 17, 1977 1311 South Hydraulic Street, Wichita
    7 Nancy Fox F 25 December 8, 1977 843 South Pershing Street, Wichita Strangled Belt December 8, 1977 843 South Pershing Street, Wichita
    8 Marine Hedge F 53 April 27, 1985 6254 North Independence Street, Park City Strangled Hand(s) May 5, 1985 East 53rd Street North between North Webb Road and North Greenwich Road, Wichita
    9 Vicki Wegerle F 28 September 16, 1986 2404 West 13th Street North, Wichita Strangled Nylon stocking September 16, 1986 2404 West 13th Street North, Wichita
    10 Dolores E. Davis F 62 January 19, 1991 6226 North Hillside Street, Wichita Strangled Pantyhose February 1, 1991 West 117th Street North and North Meridian Street, Sedgwick
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader
    2nd date is when body/bodies found. He was married in 1971 & had 2 kids; wasn't divorced until arrested & charged.

18. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Lonnie Franklin Jr. took a 14 year hiatus, allegedly.

I knew Rader took extended breaks - it was the police who thought he'd quit in the 70's. I think I have mixed him up with another killer who took a long hiatus after marrying, only to pick up again later.

In any case, usually their behaviour gets more erratic as time goes on, they make mistakes.. I think if Lechmere was JtR, he would not have died an old man surrounded by family. I cannot think of a single serial killer who has done so. Doesn't mean there's not an exception or two out there somewhere, it's not like any aspect of human behaviour is set in stone.

I just think it's more likely Lechmere was more probably exactly what he claimed to be - a witness.

Akoya, Cousin Dupree and GarAndMo49 like this.
  19. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

What's your take on George Chapman, Lily? (Just finished Sugden's book).

20. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Oh, I go back and forth on that one.. a lot.

My first thought though is, his known murders were all very passive and hands-off, being a poisoner. His MO was to marry his known victims, and bump them off when they became inconvenient, or perhaps he simply tired of them.

While he's obviously cold and ruthless and a known murderer of women, and while it's a fact that killers can and do change MO (from knives to guns, for example), it's difficult to reconcile a serial poisoner with somebody who could strangle and then eviscerate a woman in the open street. But then, the timing of the murders synching with his arrival and departure, and his close resemblance to "Astrakhan Man" - the well-dressed man described a witness in Mary kelly's case, can't be ignored.

Akoya, Cousin Dupree and GarAndMo49 like this.