1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

ID JACOB'S GULCH JOHN DOE: WM, 57-67, found near Wallace, ID - 18 June 2002 - Unique glasses, dentures

Discussion in 'Unidentified 2000 to 2009' started by Sunburst, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Found along hiking trail on June 18, 2002 in Jacob's Gulch, Idaho
    https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5051

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/missing-persons/unidentified-persons-2/idaho-jacobs-gulch- wallace-idaho/ This link contains a very detailed list of his clothing and objects he had with him in a black "Rome" brand duffel bag, including wearing a "Members Only" jacket, a gold Seiko wristwatch, carrying a roll of "Star Brite" red and white mints, Doral non-filter cigarettes, heavy brown leather jacket with a Navajo design , sanitizer wipes from Service Master, and a full 9mm magazine in a plastic bag, just to name a few things.

Wore expensive, unique prescription, no line bifocal eyeglasses for an astigmatism in his right eye. The prescription was as follows: Right eye / -5.75-1.50 by 8 Plus 1.50 add. Left eye: /Plano-1.50 by 69 Plus 200 Add. The glasses were sold only in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington State. (BBM)

White Male aged 57-67 Years Old, Most likely around the age of 60.
    Estimated Height: 70 inches Estimated Weight: 180 lbs
    Brown eyes
    freckles on skin
    Wore both upper AND lower dentures
    Appendix removed

[​IMG]

He was well-dressed, well-nourished, and did not appear to be a transient in any way.
    Gray hair with reddish highlights, most likely was red/auburn haired as a younger man.
    Cause of death an apparently-self-inflicted gunshot to the head.

James Nigra of CA and Michael Allan of FL have been ruled out as being this decedent. On another site, Raymond Shore from AZ and John Wesley Davis from FL have been suggested as possible matches, but have not been ruled out or not.

Fingerprints only are currently available for the UID. DNA sample available but has not been submitted yet, dentals not currently available.

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/mis...d-persons-2/idaho-jacobs-gulch-wallace-idaho/

Edited by Kimster to add media link: http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...bs-gulch-idaho-unidentified-johndoe-2002.873/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

If his glasses were only available in the Northwest, I wonder if Northwest for the Missing might post him? I'll have to write them. Usually they only do kids but this is a pretty interesting case and I think we could get it solved.

3. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

I looked into posting his info on optometrist/opthamologist national organization type of sites and the state medical associations sites , but you have to be a member of those associations to post stuff. Maybe LE or the coroner's office would be allowed to post this John Doe's info on those sites?

4. Kimster

Can you write to the website admin and ask them if they can find someone to post it?

Advocate, GarAndMo49 and spike like this.
  5. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

is it just me or does Jacob Reis look like he has dark eyes and not blue eyes like his report says? also his circumstances are scant. he didn't wear glasses, but had reddish hair. he is a little bit younger than the estimated age of the UID. felt it prudent to list him anyhow bc he was reported missing the day after the body was found and he isn't listed here already I don't believe. he was reported missing from CA. who knows why or how.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/reis_douglas.html

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

I emailed the webmasters of the opthamologist sites over a year ago. They never replied.

7. spike

spike Bronze Member

That's terrible. You rock, Sunburst!

8. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

My dad used to wear the same shoes, they came from Walmart. His NamUs profile has a PM photo

Clothing on body - Grey, blue and black, long sleeve button up shirt; black Wrangler jeans with a black leather weave belt. Black nylon shoulder holster with empty double magazine pouch.
    Clothing with body - Black "Members Only" jacket, size Medium
    Footwear - Black "Athletic Works" Velcro closure shoes, size 8W
    Jewelry - gold colored watch: Seiko
    silver colored belt buckle with turquoise stone
    Eyewear - glasses: right RX stronger than left-unique no line bifocals-
    RX as follows- Right eye/-5.75-1.50 by 8 Plus 1.50 add. Left eye/Plano-1.50by 69 Plus 200 Add.
    Other items found with body - Black fold up knife STAINLESS STEEL, black duffel bag, ROME Brand. 9MM magazine in a zip-lock bag. Partial pack of DORAL non filter cigarettes. A black/yellow lighter, silver scissors and misc. change.

9. spike

spike Bronze Member

Thank you, Advocate.

10. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Hmmmm. Scissors. Wonder if they were household scissors, manicure scissors, sewing scissors, or another type of scissors and how long the scissors were.

FlandersFields and spike like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  12. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

13. Jason Futch

Jason Futch The King of the Highway

I was thinking that the UID may have been Alan Kaplan, missing from Palm Beach Co., FL; however I did more analyzing and concluded that it could not have been Alan Kaplan; though they share similarities. I did visit the Kellogg, ID area several months ago and did some digging around and there had been no real leads since the body was discovered. All they knew was that a man had committed suicide at Jacob s Gulch. I went to the gulch and its definitely a place you could do yourself at and do it discreetly; but my understanding is that the body was found within a day of the suicide. I am looking into this case right now as I am slowly shifting gears and getting a new case ready since my original one, the Lake City John Doe, was solved.

14. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

On " another site", I believe someone made the suggestion that John Doe may have been a retired LEO, specifically a detective. The OP was basing that on the fact that the gun found with John Doe was apparently a style and caliber frequently carried by detectives working for LE departments. during that time period. I am wondering if John Doe was from Canada-not that far from the Idaho border. The gun was originally from Texas, but the seller had not kept the sales records that far back.

I have a picture in my head of a man, recently divorced or who went through a relationship breaking up; he got the Idaho or Montana vacation home in the divorce settlement while his ex-wife/partner got the main residence in another state; and he committed suicide because he was despondent over the end of his marriage. Or maybe his wife /partner died. No one in the area recognized him because he was only there a few weeks each year.

IIRC "Members Only" jackets were sold at JCP and several other places back then, they were very popular in the 80s.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Kimster and spike like this.
  15. Kimster

Interesting that you went there! Did you take any pictures of the area?

Jason Futch and spike like this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I didn't realize that Jacob's Gulch is actually in Kellogg and not Wallace. Weird that it's listed as Wallace everywhere. Looks like Jacob's Gulch Road is now called New St and does go right to Kellogg High School...
    There are a LOT of named gulches in this area that show up on Google Maps. But Jacob's Gulch isn't one of them. At least not anymore.

I go snowboarding at a ski resort basically right across the street every winter and had no idea it was right there. Not that Wallace is that far away. My brother's girlfriend went to Kellogg HS. I'll have to ask her what she knows about the Jacob's Gulch area. I'll try to take some pictures next time I'm there.

Kimster likes this.
  17. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Was up in this area again last week. My brother's gf said that yes, Jacob's Gulch is pretty much right where Kellogg High School is. When she was in school, for PE, they would sometimes go walk/jog on the trail back there. Pretty well known area for those who grew up there.

I have to wonder how well he knew the area. Although the area is right off of Interstate 90, I'm not sure how many people would choose to walk up on a trail behind a school unless you knew it was there. Maybe he grew up in the area? Hadn't been there for a while, which is why nobody recognized him, but had some ties to the area?

Wasn't able to go walking back there. Pretty snowy when I was there. But I'll try to get over there and take some pictures when I'm back this summer.

Been thinking about this guy a lot since I went back. He does have DNA available. I wonder if DNA Doe Project would take him on? I wonder if Shoshone County would even request it?

New virtual flyer. Please share on Facebook if you are able - https://www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest/photos/a.288788269451/10157032756479452/?type=3&theater
    [​IMG]

spike and Kimster like this.
  18. Jason Futch

Jason Futch The King of the Highway

I still look back on this case from time to time, and remember the trip I made to Kellogg on my way home visiting friends in Missoula. When I was there, I was heavily intimidated because the school was in session and wasn't sure whether or not I could be there during school hours. When the class was dismissed, I asked my GF who was with me to allow me extra time in Kellogg so I could explore the gulch. So I did and took notes and recorded to my online set, as at the time I still had a flip phone with no camera.
    This case has always lingered in my mind because of the mystery behind it. He had to have been known somewhere. Based on his description, he wasn't a transient and seemed to be well off. He must have someone out there missing him. It's unfortunate that he still hasn't been identified.

19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I have the same thoughts. Someone knows who he is. Perhaps even someone local.
    How did he get to the area? There was no mention of an abandoned vehicle being found. Kellogg isn't exactly a thriving metropolis with a ton of public transportation. It's not really a destination place unless you're an outdoor enthusiast (skiing or mountain biking, North America's longest gondola right across the street). It's only about 4 square miles. Though there may be a Greyhound bus stop there. I wonder if they ever looked into that.
    But again, why Kellogg? Did he happen to just hop a bus and rode until he found this spot, or was it Destination Kellogg all along? Did he ask locals about hiking trails in the area, or did he already know about it?

spike and Kimster like this.
  20. Kimster

He could have had grandparents from there and visited as a youth.

So strange. Interesting too that both of you have checked out the area! :highfive: