1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

VA JASON CALLAHAN has been identified as GRATEFUL DOE!

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

It's official! Jason Callahan is truly Grateful Doe.

Many people have devoted hours and hours to trying to identify Grateful Doe. It is now official for Jason's family and they can rest this Christmas knowing what happened to Jason.

Grateful Doe (nicknamed for the shirt and tickets he possessed from the band Grateful Dead) also known as Jason Doe was a young American man who was killed in a vehicle accident on June 26, 1995, in Emporia, Greensville, Virginia. His body has remained unidentified since its discovery. In 2015, photographs surfaced of a young man, later identified as Jason Patrick Callahan on the Facebook page for the John Doe. DNA testing is currently underway to see if Callahan was indeed the unidentified man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jason_Callahan

MUk09kK.jpg 2muDmRJ.jpg

2. Ladyslug

Ladyslug Bronze Member

Oh that is good news that it's been confirmed, though obviously sad for his family.

GarAndMo49, MadgeS, Advocate and 2 others like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

This is amazing news! I know that so many people worked so very hard to give Jason his name back.
    The newest reconstruction looks so much like Jason Callahan, I'm glad someone finally recognized him.
    May he now rest in peace.

GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  4. Kimster

It's incredible how much it looked like him.

5. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Thanks for making the thread Kim!
    Last December, I met a gal named greymetal. She had shared his flier on Imgur where someone recognized the older recon as their friend Jason who lived with them in Indiana (I think). She joined "the other place" we started a social media push. As she got more info and a photo, it took off from there. I had sent her to the GD FB page so she could see if they could all work together. I know both owners; so thought it would work out great but she was treated very badly. The one owner took the pics & info she had then wrote the FB page on them. Greymetal almost stopped advocating due to all of this; I'm so happy that she did not. She currently advocates on Reddit /gratefuldoe as well as The Doe Search FB page.

Members at "the other place" helped get the word out by posting anywhere they could; craigslists too. Someone caught the Craigslists post; Jason's brother then mom ended up going to the GD FB page; she then called the ME to get the process going with reporting him missing and giving a DNA sample (Valentines Day).

Her DNA was done processing on June 10th which was Cali Doe/ Tammy Alexander's grave side memorial. I was sure the ME would call it on the 20th anniversary but he did not. I was shocked to hear that her sample did not produce results. They ended up taking a few samples from Jason's paternal side back in August IIRC; so I was shocked it came back already.

I'm very thankful his family does not have to go any more holidays without an answer. I can't even imagine the hell they went thru this year after finding out about GDF. I hope his family is comforted by how many people love & advocated for jason. I don't know how they dealt with the many articles that were written after his mom reported him missing.

According to what Jason's room mate & another that hung with him at a NY show said; Jason had a back pack. It sounds like it was left in a car; they took off with it or someone stole it from him. Its thought that Jason was catching a ride home to SC when the accident happened.

His case is now on Snopes. Its pretty accurate. There was another account after greymetal did the social media push but I don't recall where it was; it very well may have been written by her on gratefuldoe Reddit. I'm out but will try to find it. As greymetals surrogate mom, I'm so very proud of her. She never once bad mouthed any one back then; kept her head held high. I also want to add that I'm friends with the original owner of GD FB; she is not the one that treated her poorly.

Rest in peace Jason! You can go home now! <3

http://www.snopes.com/2015/12/09/grateful-doe/

GarAndMo49, Lily, MadgeS and 2 others like this.
  6. Kimster

Hi @Advocate! Thank you for giving us the back story! It's really interesting! And it's good to know what happened so that everyone can understand all the history, time and effort that goes into finding the family of someone who is unidentified.

To Jason's loved ones ~ we are sorry for your loss and at the same time comforted knowing that you no longer wonder what happened to him. Our thoughts and prayers go before you in the days to come.

:RIP:

7. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

So very happy he's been identified. Sympathies to his family. RIP Jason.

GarAndMo49, Advocate and Kimster like this.
  8. Advocate

9. Kimster

Advocate likes this.
  10. Advocate

The Doe Search FB page was given a few more pics of Jason. Link to post
    There are so many articles... Most of them have the wrong info. The People article is one of the worst. Jason and Eric Hager (the driver of the VW bus) shared a birthday, Eric was 2 years older.

I've been concerned about Jason's mom so contacted a few people to try to get help to her from an organization I know. They could also help her tell her side of the story.

NY Times - ‘Grateful Doe’ Is Identified 20 Years After Road Trip Death

GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  11. Kimster

This quote jumped out at me - “No one ever thought to report him missing because they thought he wanted to be missing,” his half-sister, Shannon Michelson, told The A.P.

That's so often the case. I even know a family who didn't know where their son was for over ten years and never reported him missing. When he died of a heart problem, thankfully he had listed his mother as an emergency contact at the VA and the coroner found her.

Advocate likes this.
  12. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

Hi Advocate!
    THANKS for all you do; seriously. And please give thanks & kudos to Greymetal. I burst into tears when I saw Jason had finally been identified; didn't know I'd get that emotional...
    I hope to be active in helping with the unidentified as soon as I learn a bit more. I'm so moved and impressed by your efforts.

Advocate likes this.
  13. Advocate

I have tears in my eyes now. Thank you. I wish I had time to dedicate to more does. We feature as many as we can on Never Forget Me, which I rarely get on the last 7 months. The does are my passion but I also help a few families with their missing loved ones.

I don't think that most of us thought it would hit us as hard as it has. I still can't believe it's been announced, even though I knew GDF was Jason.
    Still praying for his family.

*have to go run errands...

Kimster, Sunburst and GarAndMo49 like this.
  14. ima.grandma

ima.grandma Believer of Miracles

A community with a callingto shed new light on old mysteries

In addition to bringing light to potential miscarriages in the criminal justice system, true crime media also inspires those with an appetite for real unsolved mysteries to try their hand at digging up unearthed clues, becoming armchair and keyboard detectives who in some cases provide tips that lead investigators to the truth about unnamed killers and the unidentified deceased. In the case of a young man found dead from a car crash in 1995, known for 20 years only as “Grateful Doe,” social media users banded together into a community that ultimately managed to reach the loved ones of Jason Callahan, the true identity behind the composite sketches and reconstructions.
    https://www.forensicmag.com/news/20...r-brings-forensics-mystery-and-media-crimecon

Kimster likes this.