1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IL JESSE ROSS: Missing from Chicago, IL during United Nations Conference on 20 Nov 2006 - Age 19

Discussion in 'Missing 2000 to 2009' started by Kimster, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Jesse Ross phoned his mother from Chicago on Nov. 20, just to let her know that he was having a blast at the model United Nations conference.

He promised to call again the next day when he and the 13 University of Missouri-Kansas City students and their faculty sponsor had loaded the vans for the return drive home.

He was that kind of son, said Donna Ross. He always let his mother know where he was, what he was doing, and when to expect him home. He couldn't keep a secret, not from his mother.

1. 19 years old at time of disappearance
    2. Was a sophomore at University of Missouri Kansas City
    3. Just received a promotion from intern to paid radio personality on a popular Kansas City Morning Show
    4. Was in Chicago for a mock United Nations Conference
    5. Was last seen walking to the side door during a 30 minute break from an "emergency" model United Nations Conference
    6. Broadcast on AMW on January 16, 2007
    7. Missing and Exploited Children Site regarding Jesse
    8. Additional Case Information
    9. Video of Nancy Grace appearance

http://findjesseross.com/
    Jesse Ross was already making big strides in his young life. At 19 years old, according to his family, the sophomore at the University of Missouri Kansas City had just received word from a popular radio show about a new work opportunity — he was set to intern at 95.7 “The Vibe” at the ‘Shorty and The Boys’ morning show. Along with his new radio gig, his family said the communications major was working for a voice-over internet provider and had pledged the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.

He had a lot going for him, and a lot to look forward to.

In 2006, Ross, according to his family, traveled to the Sheraton hotel in Chicago for a United Nations Conference. It was November 20 when he called home to speak with his mother, she said. Ross told her he was “having a blast” at the event. Ross seemed to be in very good spirits. He was never a secret-keeper and had a wonderful relationship with his family, they say.

In the early morning hours of November 21, according to the Find Jesse Ross website, something went terribly wrong. Around 2 a.m., the mock U.N. conference (which housed more than 1,000 university students), called an “emergency” meeting.

About 30 minutes into the “emergency,” Ross reportedly got up from his chair and walked out of the room for a break. According to the search website, Ross was seen on a surveillance camera in the hotel lobby – but he was never seen again, not in the flesh and not on camera anywhere else in the hotel.

http://crimefeed.com/2016/03/university-student-vanishes-after-college-trip-to-chicago/

jesse-ross.png

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...from-a-conference-in-chicago-since-2006.1306/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    spike and Akoya like this.
  2. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

The way they describe this - he was on camera walking out of the main doors onto a street that has great lighting and lots of security cameras but was not seen by any person or camera once he went out of the door. How is that even possible? Someone had to have erased a camera close to the main door camera. You just don't vanish into thin air or as his mom said "get abducted by aliens". It is ludicrous.

spike, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  3. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

I think of "Opie" often. I wish I had a clue as to what happened. I'm leaning towards a kid with his first taste of freedom and it might have gotten him in trouble. Did he have a secret to keep from his family? Did he have a bit too much fun and meet misadventure? Or was it more sinister? Did he meet or run into the wrong people? His poor parents, no matter the outcome.

spike, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

He reminds me of Brian Laspisa for some reason.

spike and Akoya like this.
  5. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

Whatsnext and spike like this.
  6. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ge-student-jesse-ross-met-20170620-story.html
    10 years after son vanished on college trip, couple still seek answers

Don and Donna Ross felt their moods darken as they made the long drive to Chicago from their home outside Kansas City.

It had been a few years since they'd returned to the city Donna Ross calls "evil," the city that claimed their youngest son, Jesse, just over 10 years ago.

Jesse, then 19, was last seen in the predawn hours of Nov. 21, 2006, at a Streeterville hotel where he was attending a college Model United Nations conference. He's never been heard from again.

"Every time we do this, we open that sore," Donna Ross said of their visits to Chicago to try to renew interest in the case. They accept that their son is likely dead; they just want to know what happened to him.

"We feel Jesse is in heaven. He's probably safe and happy," Donna Ross said. "But how did he get there? We have no closure. We're a revolving door. For 10 years, we're just going in circles."

The case continues to haunt not just the Rosses but many others, some who never knew Jesse.

7. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Families gather for 11th annual missing persons event

More than 11 years ago, Jesse Ross went missing from a school trip in Chicago, and his parents, Donald and Donna, have never stopped looking for him.

The Chicago Police Department hasn't had a lead on the whereabouts of their son since his disappearance, Donald Ross said.

The Rosses were among about 70 people gathered Saturday under the Memorial Park pavilion to raise awareness of missing and unidentified people as part of the 11th annual Missing and Unidentified Persons Awareness Day. Donald and co-founder of Missouri Missing, Marianne Asher-Chapman, said not only does the event provide a support system for families but it also educates the public.

"I think the common person, the ordinary person, doesn't comprehend how serious something like this is," Donald said. "Maybe they view families like ours as being unique, but we're like everyone else. We were going along our way, living our lives, enjoying our lives and then boom, it hits you. I think it can happen to anyone, anywhere, any time. So, it's really important people know about what's going on and learn as much as they can about what's happening."

http://www.newstribune.com/news/local/story/2018/jun/10/anyone-anwhere-any-time/730011/

Whatsnext, Paradise and spike like this.
  8. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Documentary shines new light on UMKC student’s mysterious disappearance in 2006

Jesse Ross was just 19 years old when he went to a college conference in Chicago and seemingly vanished. Now, a local documentary is shining a new light on this decade-old missing person’s case.

When I Last Saw Jesse” tells the story of the Belton native's disappearance.

“He’s really, he’s just a regular, young adult. He’s got his dreams. He has his ambitions, and he is working hard," filmmaker Brian Rose said. "But he also likes to have fun and in so doing, he you know makes mistakes and sometimes makes poor decisions like we all do. We all turn out OK, and for whatever reason, there was a confluence of events that happened that night that resulted in Jesse not coming home and not being OK."

“I definitely have a lot of sympathy for the Chicago police on this case because they were handed an investigator’s nightmare. You have this individual go missing on the last day of a conference, and the conference wraps up before he’s even reported missing," Rose said. "You have 1,200 students in attendance. There’s 1,200 potential witnesses, very few of whom are local to the area, who all immediately scatter by train, by plane by automobile, and it's Thanksgiving weekend."

Along with prompting new tips, Brian hopes that the documentary will help people remember the young man with a promising future.

“If nothing else, my hope would be that Jesse himself is not forgotten," Ross said.

“When I Last Saw Jesse” premiers at the Kansas City Film Festival on April 14. You can find ticket information here.

https://fox4kc.com/2019/03/20/docum...kc-students-mysterious-disappearance-in-2006/

spike likes this.
  9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

“When I Last Saw Jesse:” A hauntingly true story

At around 2 a.m. on Nov. 21, 2006 sophomore Jesse Ross disappeared while attending a Model UN conference in Chicago. Over 13 years later local filmmaker Brian Rose shares Ross’s unsolved case in his documentary “When I Last Saw Jesse.”

Utilizing 16mm film allows the movie to present grainy images creating a haunting aesthetic throughout.

The documentary opens with some of the last video footage of Ross. It then transitions into a gruesome image of Ross being stained, reminiscent of 16mm film leaking.

Often the eerie images and videotapes help create heart-pounding moments as if the viewer were seeing the events play out in person.

What really helps create this nearly bone chilling tone is the fact that Ross was a student at UMKC travelling to Chicago for a school trip with the university. As a UMKC student I can’t help but worry that something similar might happen to me or others.

Interestingly, Rose opted to not use video footage of his interview subjects. Instead, he overlays the dark images with audio tapes.

Clearly, Ross’s disappearance still affects his classmates and family members as shown by their interviews.

As the film progresses, the eeriness turns into intense sorrow as those close to Ross realize his missing person case may never be solved. Although over a decade has passed since his disappearance, the Ross family will never be the same.

https://info.umkc.edu/unews/when-i-last-saw-jesse-a-hauntingly-true-story/

spike likes this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

College student who vanished in Chicago more than 12 years ago subject of new documentary, ‘When I Last Saw Jesse’

For six years, documentary filmmaker Brian Rose worked on a film about a case that still haunts him — the 2006 disappearance of Kansas City, Mo., college student Jesse Ross, who vanished while attending a Model United Nations conference at a Streeterville hotel.

Rose, also from the Kansas City-area but who never knew Ross, traveled to Chicago several times, retracing Ross’ steps, even staying in the hotel where he was last seen. He interviewed Ross’ parents, his friends, a police detective and some of those at the conference with the 19-year-old. He researched the flow and locks in the Chicago River, which police have said Ross could’ve fallen in the night he disappeared. Ross’ family does not believe that theory, however, and several police searches of the river were unsuccessful.

After “When I Last Saw Jesse” was finally complete early this year, Rose, 35, wrote to theaters and film festivals. Dozens passed on the film.

But last week, Rose heard from one he’d been hoping for — Chicago’s Gene Siskel Film Center, which agreed to show the 82-minute, black-and-white film in September. The exact date is pending.

“It’s a good feeling,” Rose said. “It’s not often you get to see a film in a venue about events that literally happened just ... blocks away. That was pretty important to get this story shown in Chicago."

Though it was tough to watch the film, Donna Ross said they think Rose “did a tremendous job on it.”

The couple plan to travel to Chicago to attend the screening — and then continue to talk about their son and hope for a resolution.

“People just don’t vanish,” Donna Ross said. “Somebody has an answer. We’re waiting for that answer.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/life...0190724-fievwk4w7bcjvea7ov24t4lyfa-story.html

kdg411 likes this.