1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

SC JOCK DOE & JANE DOE: WM/F, 18-30, murdered together in Sumpter County, SC - 9 Aug 1976 *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Kimster, May 22, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

August of 1976, two unknown people were discovered by a trucker shot to death on a remote road in Sumter, South Carolina. The carbon-copy features made police think that they may be related, possibly siblings, and they carried no ID. On August 9, a witness heard a car driving down a dirt road to where the bodies were later found. He heard gunshots, and then heard the car drive quickly back to the highway. Investigators believe that the couple may have been well-to-do, or from another country. They may have been hitchhiking across the United States or were the victims of a carjacking. No drugs or alcohol were found in the two bodies, nor were they wearing underwear or had any money. An autopsy revealed that they had eaten fruit or ice cream with fruit, and a witness stated watching a man and woman matching the deceased couple's description at a local fruit stand. Months after the murder, an employee of a Santee, South Carolina campground claimed that he had met the couple weeks before the two's deaths. He said that the man's name was either Jock or Jacques and that he and his companion were going to Florida. The man and the employee soon became friends, and later told him that he was the son of a doctor in Canada, and that he and the woman were on vacation. Neither the couple nor the killers have ever been ID'd. www.unsolved.com

A man was arrested in Latta, North Carolina in 1977 after driving while intoxicated. He owned a gun of the same caliber of the murder weapon, which was found in his vehicle. The gun was proven to be the one used during the murders after it as test fired by investigators and those fired during the exercise were compared to the bullets at the scene. The man was located in Wadesdburo, New York, but never charged him with the murders, as there was reportedly not a reasonable amount of evidence to support the belief that he was guilty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumter_County_Does
    Descriptions of the couple and lots of information at the above link
    WARNING: Graphic pictures of the deceased at the link

https://crimewatchers.net/forum/ind...-1976-and-never-identified-southcarolina.233/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Kimster

3. Jenny

Jenny Active Member

http://www.sumtermysterycouple.com/

Quote:

1. The most common theory is that the couple was involved in drug smuggling and/or organized crime of some sort. This type of execution style murder is synonymous with a gang-land style hit which suggests they were targeted for some reason. It wasn't until several years later that it was discovered that drug smuggling was running rampant within the ranks of IMSA racing(remember the John Doe was wearing a IMSA shirt from the '75 florida, Sebring race). In the 1980's several IMSA racers and race teams including John Paul Sr. , the Whittington brothers and Randy Lanier were convicted of drug smuggling. These were not small time drug smugglers. They were part of a multi-million dollar criminal organization who were smuggling TONS of drugs into the United Sates. These racers and race teams had strong ties with organized crime and even with the CIA.

4. Kimster

Intriguing information! I can't see the brand name of the watch in this photo because I'm on my phone right now. Is it inexpensive watch? The jewelry doesn't look expensive today, but back when they had it it was more desirable and may have cost them a pretty penny.

I wish we knew more about the man who was found with the murder weapon.

5. Jenny

Jenny Active Member

From the Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/198umsc.html
    Jewelry: He wore a Bulova Accutron yellow gold watch, serial number H918803 on his left hand. Bulova made the piece in 1968. But the company trashed its records when downsizing shortly thereafter, so no one knows where the watches were distributed.

I was in Uruguay and Argentina for a year in 1992 and the ring the unidentified wore was very common during the mid-1970's during the Argentine 'dirty war' when many educated people disappeared. The rings looked like his - hand crafted and inscribed. I wore one that was made by my then-boyfriend's father.

My then-boyfriend's family fled Uruguay during the early 1980's when it was under military rule and the young and educated where also targeted.

Amnesty International helped to bring some of the targeted people into Canada during the late 70s - mid 80s. The UID's dental work was discussed as well. When I was there, they were testing out new procedures that were not available yet in Canada, and that was the case for many years before that. His dental work is described as being done by a 'craftsman'. When I was there, I was friends with a husband and wife who were both dentists. They employed skilled craftsman who created bridges and false teeth. They devoted their lives to creating the bridges, it was considered an art.

I may be biased with my own experience, but I've always thought the man at least was from South America.

6. Kimster

7. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Thanks to Pamela Reed for getting them on NamUs. I had emailed her back in April with the Sumter County Sheriff's info below, asking if they were hidden in NamUs. She told me she was working on getting them entered but was a tedious process. I sent her all of the photos I have; she showed some but some are for LE only. The circumstances come directly from what I have below, the recons are the official ones on the same page.
    I've also asked her to compare them to John and his wife Cordelia McMinn

John Doe NamUs UP 13772
    Jane Doe NamUs UP 13773

John McMinn MP 19254 - DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
    Cordelia McMinn MP 19259 - DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

Sumter County Sheriff's Office - Unidentified Persons

On August 9, 1976, the bodies of an unidentified white mail and white female were discovered on a dirt road 1/2 mile from Interstate 95 and Highway 341 in Northeast Sumter County. Both victims were shot multiple times.

The only potential identifiers found at the scene was a ring worn by the male that had the initials “JPF” inscribed. The ring was described as being of a Far Eastern design.

Over the years, the fingerprints of both subjects have been periodically resubmitted to the FBI database to see if any new information may have been entered somewhere that may help solve their identities. In 2007, the bodies were exhumed by a team of our forensic investigators, then Coroner Verna Moore, agents from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and forensic pathologists from Newberry Pathology to get samples to be submitted into the state, national and international DNA databases.

If you have any information about this case, please call us at 803-436-2002 or email us with the information and we’ll follow up on it immediately. If you wish to remain anonymous, please go to our Anonymous Tips submission page and submit your information, or you can call Crime Stoppers at 803-436-2718.

8. Kimster

Awesome! Here come the pics from your links, @Advocate: Capture.JPG Capture.JPG img_33873.jpeg img_33872.jpeg

9. Kimster

I need to look at this from my PC, but so far I'm getting the chills!

FlandersFields, Akoya, spike and 3 others like this.
  10. Jenny

Jenny Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AIwxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UqoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1367,7773272&hl=en

The above is the UID male's dental exrays, dental notes and a link to an article where a dentist discussed the UID's dental work. He Said he may be older than 27 years old.

I'm not an expert, but to me his dental work makes me believe he's much older than 27. He had expensive restorations. That led people to believe that he came from a wealthy family. In my opinion, being from a wealthy family I would expect the dental loss an decay to have been prevented by proper dental care.

It looks as though dental care was neglected for many years and addressed as an adult with the expensive restorations an bridges.

One note when looking at the deceased UID's photos. They are laying down and their face is at rest. That may make them appear younger than if they were upright, alive, with tension in their faces and at the mercy of gravity. (Sorry - just something I noticed when my parents passed away).

RedRose, Akoya, spike and 5 others like this.
  11. Kimster

Interesting observations! I don't remember knowing that the dentals were available to view? I believe they have been pulling a lot of them away because of new HIPPA laws, at least that's what I was told. Thank you for posting those! I'm glad they're available!

12. Jenny

Jenny Active Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    RedRose, Akoya, spike and 5 others like this.
  13. Advocate

I also have to remember to tell Pamela Reed to compare Dikran Knadjian NamUs MP # 19337 - He is most likely not our John Doe, but he comes from a watch maker family.
    Circumstances - Dikran checked into Camp Curry Village on 7-24-72 and was never seen again. Dikran is Armenian and speaks with a strong British accent. At the time of his disappearance Dikran was a medical student from Cambridge University vacationing in the United States with plans to visit Florida after his stay at Yosemite and then back to Cambridge. Case notes indicate that he asked the registration desk attendant how to get to Half Dome.

Mystery Couple made #6 in the article below. My friends sister is #2 Lori Jane (Eblin) Reaves, 35, Columbia, 1995

9 Infamous Bone-Chilling Unsolved Mysteries In South Carolina Posted on 12 April, 2015 | In South Carolina

Every state has its unsolved mysteries and South Carolina, unfortunately, is not without its own. No one wants to think that there is evil that walks among us; an evil that stalks the dark and steals the light. We must not forget the ones that have left us mysteriously. Somewhere out there is someone who knows something about each one of these mysteries and it is up to us to not let them grow cold.

14. Jenny

Jenny Active Member

@Advocate, would you like help with tracking Lori? Is that your main focus? If I can help, I'd be happy to do so.

Akoya, spike, DaisyChains and 2 others like this.
  15. Advocate

Thanks, I haven't had time to do much. I have a friend that ordered Lori's documents, we're waiting for that. Her sister has come a long way since I met her on Aundria Bowman's FB page. Lori was probably a victim of domestic violence. She just has to prove it

16. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

wasn't their a possible sighting of the couple with a govt agent at a store of some sort? and that agent used his company credit card to buy them all some items?

I agree with kimster that I wish we knew more about the man found with the murder weapon. i think there might have been a pawn involved in the situation

What we always inevitably asks ourselves comes up here: why kill them?

if Jacques father truly was a doctor, perhaps Jacques came from money and was known to have cash on him. this would be a motive for someone to rip them off and kill them. Then again if Jacques father was a doctor i would think he would have been looking for his lost son after some time.

but Then one must wonder further on the other side of the coin:
    IF "Jacques" was involved in drug running he would likely not go by his real name. he might also make up bogus reasons as to why he has lots of cash on him ie coming from wealthy family with a doctor father- when in fact the cash was the result of running drugs. but we have a motive even still to rip him off whether it be a fellow drug runner or a hitchiker.

Did Jacques and Jane have accents that sounded like they came from a particular region of the world?

Did Jacques and Jane fly into a nearby town via plane (why were they in town? dropping off drugs?)?
    who provided them the car that they eventually were killed in OR were they driven by someone else the entire time?
    why were they heading to Florida (is it bc they were attempting to leave the US via plane out of FL?)?
    Who would want to stop them from getting down to Florida and why?

in my opinion, it is likely that this couple was helping to smuggle drugs into the area. Whoever receieved these drugs did not want to pay up on it and furthermore took the opportunity to rip the couple off before killing them. Perhaps this murderer was instructed to drive the couple to FL after they arrived in Sumnter county for the deal and he double crossed. One must wonder if the person who murdered them was the alleged agent with the credit card that was buying them stuff at the store. Perhaps his govt/CIA ties made him an untouchable inside man that the cartel guys couldn't mess with if he ripped them off and killed two of their runners - as he would bust the cartel members by reporting them to the DEA if they tried to press the issue. JMO

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  17. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

Yup maybe he actually had a rough childhood and didn't receive good dental care until he was older and could take care of himself. this would move the theory of him coming from a well to do family with a doctor for a patriarch further into speculation. Perhaps eventually he decided to run drugs as a means of taking care of himself and his mate - b/c he didn't have a nest egg to fall back on or a supportive family unit.

18. Advocate

Carl revised his recon.

9022016MysteryCoupleReconCarl.jpg

19. Kimster

1976 - Sumpter County, South Carolina.

On August 9, 1976, this young couple were found dead on a secluded unpaved portion of Locklair Road, between Interstate 95 and SC 341 in Sumter County, South Carolina.

Neither had any identification, and their identities as well as that of their killer still remains a mystery.

They had no money on them, but there were several clues that led investigators to believe that the couple might have been well-to-do or perhaps even from another country.

Investigators wondered if they had been hitchhiking cross country, or if they had been victims of a carjacking.

They were a clean-cut-looking pair. No drugs or alcohol were found on their bodies. And neither had on underwear.

Investigators had checked out every lead, including trying to identify them through their finger prints and using the serial number on the man's watch in hopes of trying to track down the jewelry store where he might have bought the piece of jewelry. Dental records were published in national dental journals. Officials with Interpol as well as U.S. Customs investigators and immigration authorities also had been alerted.

The autopsy revealed the pair had eaten fruit or ice cream with fruit not long before they died so investigators were certain the two must have bought the food from a local eatery or store. Someone remembered seeing a couple matching the dead couple's descriptions at a fruit stand that was located off the Florence Highway, but the person couldn't say whether the man and woman were with someone else or if they were riding in a car.

The male was estimated to be between 18 and 30 (likely at the low end of the range), stood 6 feet tall and weighed 155 pounds. He had brown eyes, and had a four-inch linear surgical scar on lower right abdomen. He wore:
    * Levi brand blue jeans
    * A red T-shirt Shirt that read "Coors: America's Light Beer" on the front and "Camel Challenger G-T Sebring '75" on the back along with a Snoopy design.
    * A Bulova Accutron watch with a Twist-o-Flex band.
    * 14K gold ring Florentine finnish gray or linde star sapphire w/ "JPF" engraved

He had a pack of matches from Grant's Truck Stop in Lupton Arizona in his pocket.

The female was between 18 and 25 years old, stood 5 feet 5 inches tall, and weighed 105 pounds. She had reddish brown shoulder length hair, and eyes that have been described as grey in some sources and hazel in others. She had two distinctive moles on the left side of her face near her mouth. She wore:
    * An unbleached white muslin blouse over a pink, front-tying halter top.
    * Blue cutoff denim shorts.
    * A floral print scarf tied around her waist as a belt
    * Stride-Rite brand wedge-heeled sandals, lavender and pink in color.
    * Three Silver rings that resembled American Indian or Mexican handmade jewelry. One piece was a faceted band with red, white and blue stones. Another ring had a oblong black stone. The third was a large, intricate feather scroll band with a jade insert into the curves of the scroll.

40 years have passed since the deaths of this couple and they are still UNIDENTIFIED.
    (by Carl Koppelman)

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...murdered-in-1976-are-still-unidentified.2128/

Attached Files:

20. Kimster

Whatsnext, spike and Akoya like this.