1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

SC JOCK DOE & JANE DOE: WM/F, 18-30, murdered together in Sumpter County, SC - 9 Aug 1976 *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Kimster, May 22, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Updated as I was adding Carl's pic to the media gallery.

FlandersFields, Akoya and spike like this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumter_County_Does

"Jock Doe"

[​IMG]
    Mortuary photograph of male victim
    Born 1946–1958 (approximate)
    Status Unidentified for 40 years, 7 months and 17 days
    Died August 9, 1976 (aged 18-30)
    Sumter County, South Carolina, United States
    Cause of death Homicide by firearm
    Known for Unidentified victim of homicide
    Height 6 ft 1.25 in (1.86 m)
    Weight 150 lb (68 kg) (approximate)

The male victim was at first believed to between 18 and 22 years of age, but his dentition suggested that he may have been older than 27.[2][4][13]The age range was updated to be between 18 and 30 years after his case was entered into NamUs.[14]

The forensic dentist who examined the man's teeth said he believed he was over 27 but that he had looked younger due to his clothing and build. The victim was white with an olive complexion. He had brown, shoulder-length hair, brown eyes, and very distinctive bushy eyebrows.[2][10] He stood over 6 feet tall, weighed about 150 pounds, and had had extensive, elaborate, dental work that may have been performed outside the United States. This might indicate a higher socioeconomic status.[5][10][13]

A unique type of root canal had been done during the man's life, which could be important for discovering who he was.[15] It looked as if he had been midway through a complete dental restoration.[3][16] The man had a four-inch appendectomy scar. He also had various scars on his back and shoulders, which indicated frequent participation in contact sports.[2][5][11]

He was wearing faded Levi brand jeans and a red T-shirt. The shirt read "Coors — America's Light Beer" on the front and "Camel Challenger GT Sebring '75" on the back, along with a Snoopy design.[2][3][4] The shirt was apparently a promotional item from the Sebring Races held in Sebring, Florida, in 1975, which were sponsored by the Coors Brewing Company. He wore no underwear and carried a pack of "Grant's Truck Stop" matches in a pants pocket.[10] The matches are believed to have come from a Grant's Truck Stop in the Midwest.[8]

He wore a yellow gold Bulova Accutron wristwatch with a Twist-o-Flex band, bearing the serial number H918803.[9][5][8]Using this number, investigators were able to determine that Bulova had made the watch in 1968. But when the Bulova company downsized in the early seventies, they destroyed many of their records, meaning that there was no way to ascertain where the victim's watch was distributed or bought. He also wore a 14-karat gold ring set with a gray star sapphire stone. The initials JPF were engraved inside the ring, which had a Florentine finish.[3][9] Both the ring and the watch were rather expensive. This, together with the man's elaborate dental work, suggested that he had come from an affluent family.[7][13]

Whatsnext, FlandersFields and spike like this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumter_County_Does

"Jane Doe"
    [​IMG]
    Mortuary photograph of female victim
    Born 1951–1958 (approximate)
    Status Unidentified for 40 years, 7 months and 17 days
    Died August 9. 1976 (aged 18-25)
    Sumter County, South Carolina, United States
    Cause of death Homicide by firearm
    Known for Unidentified victim of homicide
    Height 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
    Weight Between 100 lb (45 kg) and 110 lb (50 kg) (approximate)

The female victim was slightly younger than the man. She was originally thought to be between 18 and 20 years old.[4] After her case was entered into NamUs, her age estimate was increased to 18 to 25 years.[17] She stood 5' 5" tall, weighed 100 to 105 pounds, and had a slim build and an olive complexion like that of her companion. This led some observers to speculate that they may have been siblings.[1][9]

She had reddish-brown, shoulder-length hair and bluish-gray eyes (some sources state "hazel"[17]). She had two distinctive moles on the left side of her face near her mouth.[5][8][10]

The coroner noted that the young woman had unusually long, natural eyelashes and that both victims were very clean and well-groomed.[16] She had fillings in all of her back teeth, and her front teeth would have appeared straight and even if she were to smile. She had no surgical scars, had never been pregnant, and her legs had not been shaved.[4] Unlike her male companion, no scars were found on her body.[11]

She was wearing an unbleached white muslin blouse over a pink, front-tying halter top. She wore blue denim cut-off shorts (Daisy Dukes). She had a floral print scarf tied around her waist as a belt.[4][7]

She wore Stride-Rite brand wedge-heeled sandals that were lavender and hot pink in color.[3][18]

She wore three very distinctive rings.

• The first ring was a black, oblong stone with what appeared to be small turquoise chips embedded in it.[5]
    • The second had an ornate scrolling feather shape with coral and turquoise stones.[7][13]
    • The third was a simple metal band with red, white, and blue stones.
    These rings appeared to be authentic handmade Native American or Mexican costume jewelry. They were all made of sterling silver.[2][4][13] They appeared to have originated in the Southwestern United States.

Like the man beside her, the female victim wore no underwear.[2][4]

5. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Very, very dodgy, IMO that a man found in possession of THE murder weapon was never charged. Makes me think there's way more at play here than just murder.

6. Kimster

Because of another couple being identified and the man was on the lam, I wonder if the same is true about this couple.

7. Bobby88

Bobby88 Member

I first read about this case on the Doe Network when I was about 16 and it has always fascinated me. One unidentified murder victim is mysterious enough, but when two such people are found side by side in a secluded rural area, it’s mind boggling. I have some thoughts and questions based on some of my research I’ve done over the years.

* I do not for one minute believe that this couple was killed in some type of robbery. Even if the killer or killers did in fact steal whatever cash they may have had, why would they not have taken their jewelry? Jock’s Linde Star ring by itself (the color of stone was marketed as Plum Purple at the time) was probably about $100 to $200 at the time, the equivalent of nearly $1,000 today. From what I can gather, the watch would have been even more than that. I don’t believe that robbery was the primary motive nor was it random. Executions are often very personal killings. I think they pissed off the wrong person and said person made an example of them.

* Have they done any isotope testing to try and pinpoint where these people may have been from or what their exact ethnicity is?

* Maybe it’s my eyes, but I think Jock looks different in each of the postmortem photos. The sole color photograph of him where his teeth are visible, the ones where his mouth is closed, and the profile view from the crime scene each look like a different man. If I wasn’t familiar with the case and showed me those pics, I would never think that they were of the same person. This has lead to several different-looking reconstructions and it’s hard to know which one is most accurate. Wesley Neville’s sketch of Jock doesn’t look anything like him in my opinion. Jane looks mostly the same in all of her pics. Am I the only one who thinks that the sketch of Jane where her hair is sort of in a wing style kind of makes her look like Susan Lucci from All My Children? I can’t unsee it.

* Besides the color pic of Jock, are any other color postmortem or crime scene photos known to exist? I always wanted to see up-close photos of the clothes, namely Jane’s halter top. I remember one crime scene pic I saw where her blouse was raised in the front, exposing her midriff. Did both tops get pushed up accidentally during the murder or investigation? Or was it more of bikini top that would have only covered her breasts?
    Details like this are important because sometimes people remember things like clothes and shoes better than faces and names. It could even be a simple case of someone seeing the clothing years later and thinking “Hey, I used to have a pair of sandals like that. I lent them to my friend Nancy to wear to a bicentennial party, but she never gave them back and went missing the following month. Maybe this Jane Doe is her.”.

* Speaking of Jane Doe’s shoes, I don’t believe they were hitchhiking or traveling on foot as wedge-heeled sandals and excessive walking don’t mix. There is no mention of any blisters or sores on her feet and both were very clean and appeared to practice good hygiene on a consistent basis.

* Based on the findings of fruit and/or ice cream in the victims’ stomachs, I tend to believe that the couple seen at the nearby fruit stand was in fact them.

The more I read about this case, the more I think they were involved in drugs or some other illegal activity. The possible Sebring races connection, the unusually expensive jewelry, and the execution style method of killing them all seem to be too much of a coincidence. The sighting at the KOA campgrounds could be both legit and a red herring at the same time. While the couple may have been them, Jock’s story about his father disowning him for not pursuing a medical career and being from Canada could be a complete lie he made up. Jacques/Jock may not be his real name at all, nor are his initials JPF. They may not have even signed in under their real names, so even if the records hadn’t been destroyed, they may not have been too helpful. If they were on the lam or had some powerful enemies in the drug world, they could have come up with this story as a way to cover up the real reasons why they kept making the trek through S.C.

I think the key to this mystery lies with our male victim. As far as why no one seems to be looking for them, perhaps Jock’s story about his father completely disowning him is true, but it was over his drug involvement rather than not becoming a doctor. As for Jane, she was definitely younger than Jock. Perhaps her family thought that he was too old for her (particularly if the she was at the younger end of the age estimation, like 18 or 19) and/or found out about the boyfriend’s drug connections (and to be fair, she wouldn’t be innocent herself if she knowingly went along with it) and delivered an ultimatum. She could either live under their rules or she could go with her boyfriend and cut all ties with them; she may have chosen the latter. Sometimes when family members write someone off, they remain steadfast to the grave. If both victims were only children and their parents died, no one else may have been around to search for them.

Sorry that was so long.

Kimster likes this.
  8. Kimster

You brought up some good questions. There was another case where a couple was running from the law and I have to wonder if that has something to do with this case too. Perhaps their family thinks they're hiding from law enforcement.

spike and Bobby88 like this.
  9. Bobby88

Bobby88 Member

I never thought of that, but that makes sense that they’re family might know about the legal troubles and assume they were just fleeing the law. I’m convinced that this couple was never officially reported missing.

I’m not sure how I feel about Lonnie Henry. On one hand, it seems way too much of a coincidence that his gun just happened to be the murder weapon. On the other hand, the theory that he was so drunk that he blacked out, killed this couple and then was functional enough to drive back to his wife two hours away at the hospital seems really far-fetched. I don’t have much experience with blackout alcoholics, but would they appear outwardly intoxicated (i.e., slurred speech, staggering, etc.)? If so, how could someone that drunk have it together enough to very cleanly execute these people? As I’ve said before, executions take time and preparation as opposed to just sloppily firing off a couple of rounds into someone. It may be more likely that Henry knew the person who committed the murders and was holding the gun for his “friend”, and may have had no idea as to the victims’ identities.

I can’t get over the resemblance between this couple and Cesar and Maria Lugones from Argentina, particularly Jane and Maria. I think they look more like the victims than any of the other people suggested, but ironically are probably the least likely candidates.

Akoya likes this.
  10. The Coffeenator

The Coffeenator Fluent in crapanese

DNA Doe Project has taken on Jock & Jane! They are currently at the lab for extractions :yess:

Kimster and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  11. Kimster

Good news! I look forward to finding out their story!

KareBear likes this.