1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MO JOHN WAGNER: Missing from Monroe City, MO - 17 Feb 1968 - Age 16

Discussion in 'Missing 1900 to 1979' started by Odyssey, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
    Akoya, Paradise and spike like this.
  2. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

Monroe City man still missing after 42 years
    by Rajah Maples

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:25:08 GMT —
    Thursday night's unsolved mystery takes us to Monroe City, Missouri.

That's where a 16-year-old man went missing 42 years ago Wednesday night.

John Wagner's body never was found, and his family wants to know what happened to their loved one.

ADVERTISING
    KHQA's Rajah Maples spoke with Wagner's father, sister and an investigator about where the case stands now.

John Wagner took his younger brother Mark to a dance in Monroe City February 17, 1968. But John never returned. The next day, the family found John's truck in Monroe City. His keys, gloves and coat were inside, but there were no signs of John. It was the first time John's sister, Peggy Porter, had seen her father, Luther, cry.
    Peggy Porter, "The story is, as everybody knows, is that John and another guy got into an altercation and possibly John fell back and hit his head and was killed. At that time, these persons of interest didn't know what to do. I think the altercation was probably over a girlfriend being interested in John. I mean if they would just come forward and tell us that this is what happened, and this is why it happened."

Wagner's family has heard stories about what happened to John's body -- none of them pleasant.

Luther Wagner, "Threw him to the hogs, burned him up with a bunch of old junk cars, put him in a hog feeder."

Nevertheless, the family has searched multiple farms, ponds, wells....even dug up wells that had been filled. Porter asked the Marion County Sheriff's Department to reopen the case about 10 years ago. Sgt. Regina Webb and other investigators gathered files from all of the surrounding counties, since the crime happened right in the middle of several jurisdictions.

Webb said, "We got the most information from the family. We re-interviewed a lot of people. Some people we believe were persons of interest refused to speak with us after all these years and refused to cooperate. I think that was telling within itself."

Wagner's brother and mother passed away a couple of years ago. They went to their graves never knowing what happened or why.

Porter said "She felt like when she passed away, she said she would finally know, and that she was going to be with both of my brothers."

KHQA asked both Porter and Wagner what they'd like to see happen. Both of them told me they wouldn't prosecute those responsible. They just want closure.

Porter said, "We have no desire to put these people in jail. I'm sure if they have any conscience at all, I'm sure they suffered. They would've had to unless they don't have any feelings."

Wagner said, "I'd just like somebody to come forward and come out in the open and tell us, who knew about what happened, and we'd close it."

The Wagner family bought a tombstone for John a couple of years ago. It's located in the Palmyra cemetery.

Sergeant Regina Webb told KHQA she plans to collect DNA from John's sister and father to enter it into a national database. That way, if a body ever surfaces, authorities can positively identify the remains.

http://khqa.com/news/local/monroe-city-man-still-missing-after-42-years

3. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

Publication:
    The Daily Standard i
    Issue Date:
    Wednesday, March 6, 1968
    Page:
    Page 11

Missing Boy Search Spreads MONROE CITY, Mo. (AP>-

SherifPs departments in three northeast Missouri counties have joined in a search for a 16-year-old boy missing since Feb. 16. Sheriff Dean Mason of Monroe County said the boy, John Wade Wagner, was last seen at an ice cream store in Monroe City. The youngster is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Luther Wagner, who live 12 miles north of Monroe City. "We have no reason to suspect that he met with foul play but there are so many rumors that each one has to .be checked out," Mason said. Monroe City is 22 miles west of Hannibal, where three boys disappeared last May 10, presumably lost in a cave. Authorities said they believe there is no connection with that incident* Two yotxig men were given polygraph tests at Highway Patrol Troop B headquarters in Macon Monday. The results were not announced.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/87410845/

4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

What a sad situation and still no leads all these decades later? Thank you for bringing light to this case here, @Odyssey ! We'll get his story out on social media!

Mel70, Akoya, spike and 1 other person like this.
  5. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

I think they have a pretty good idea of who did this, judging by the first article, but apparently the two men don't want to talk to police (even still) so they are free to go on with their lives like nothing happened.

There was another old article that refers to the two men being polygraphed but doesn't name them. I'll see if I can find it again.

John's sister thinks his death was accidental, a fight with two kids over a girl, that got out of hand. She thinks they panicked and hid the body.

6. Kimster

I wonder if there were rumors out there that led him to believe that's what happened. Usually when more than one person is involved, there's leaks.

7. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

It kind of sounds to me like more than just rumors. In the first article, his sister speculates that he fell back and hit his head during the altercation. That sounds to me like someone witnessed it.

Also I had looked at the area he went missing from on Google Maps street view and the area is mostly farms. There is a very small downtown area and that was where he dropped off his brother and where his car was found.

The second article says he was last seen at an ice cream store and that was most likely right there on Main Street too. Probably the teen hangout of the time, and he decided to stop in there while his brother was at the dance. My opinion is there were people who saw what happened.

8. Kimster

I completely agree with you. That's exactly where my thoughts lead.

Akoya, spike and Odyssey like this.
  9. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

10. Kimster

Akoya, Odyssey and spike like this.
  11. Odyssey

Odyssey Active Member

One thing that is odd also - if it really was an altercation over a girl, I'd guess the others involved were about John's age (16).

So if LE decided to charge them with a crime I guess they would be charged as juveniles even though they are now in their late 60's?

I know there is no statute of limitations for murder but it doesn't sound like they'd get anything more than manslaughter since even Johns sister seems to think it's an accident.

I wish these guys would just tell where his body is, that's all his sister wants.

Akoya, spike and Kimster like this.
  12. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

13. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

It states 2 People won't cooperate. I agree. The Perpetrators were probably with other friends in a car.