1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

KAMIYAH MOBLEY: Florida v Gloria Williams for kidnapping newborn from hospital in 1998 *GUILTY PLEA*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by Paradise, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

[​IMG]

Composite photo of Kamiyah Mobley from July 1998; January 2017 booking photo of Gloria Williams

The 18-year-old, who has been raised with the name Alexis Manigo, was told the results and a woman named Gloria Williams, who the teen believed was her biological mother, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and interference with custody. Williams waived extradition in court Friday and will be brought to Jacksonville to face the charges. She is being held without bond. [

Williams and Alexis had been living in Walterboro, a city of about 5,400 people located about 50 miles west of Charleston.

At a Friday news conference of local, state and federal officials, Sheriff Williams said the victim began to have an inclination beginning a couple of months ago that she might have been kidnapped.

"She appears to be a normal 18-year-old woman," Sheriff Williams said. "She's taking it as well as you can imagine. She has a lot to process."

The girl's biological family still lives in Jacksonville and was elated to learn she had been found alive.

“They were overwhelmed with emotion,” Sheriff Williams said.

The search for the baby became a national story. The kidnapper, described at the time as being between 25 and 47 years old wearing a nurses' flower-print jacket, teal "scrubs" and surgical gloves, was captured in grainy surveillance video, but was never found.

[​IMG]
    Booking photo of Gloria Williams, 51, years old who was arrested in South Carolina for the kidnapping of Kamiyah Mobley 18 years ago

Sheriff Williams said that over 2,500 tips had come in to the JSO or National Center for Missing and Exploited Children over the 18 years since the baby was taken, and even though the detectives working the original case had retired, others never stopped trying to find out what happened to the girl.

"Even when a case is deemed cold, we're always looking for new information, a tip or an advancement in technology. This is what we strive for, justice for our victims, no matter how long it takes," Sheriff Williams said. “This is a case like we have not seen in this country in a long time."

According to reports at the time, the girl's mother, Shanara Mobley, had just turned 16 and was befriended by a woman who passed herself off as a Mobley family member to the hospital and a medical professional to Shanara.

[​IMG]

The baby's 19-year-old father, Craig Aiken, was in jail on a charge of lewd assault for having sex with a minor, because Shanara was 15 when he got her pregnant.

Shanara sued the hospital and was awarded a $1.5 million settlement, according CharleyProject.org. She has since had three more children.

FROM WJXT's VIDEO VAULT:
    Manhunt after abduction | Mother pleads for baby's safe return | Day 3 of search | Hospital concerned for infant's health

After the kidnapping, the University Medical Center, which became Shands Jacksonville, then UF Health Jacksonville, also added wristbands and ankle bands for newborns, along with limiting access to the maternity ward, security and instituted kidnapping drills.

Other hospitals in Jacksonville and across the nation increased security in their maternity wards after the newborn's abduction.

Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.

Lily, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 5 others like this.
  2. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

3. Tammy

Tammy Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread @Paradise .....Ive followed this story for 18 long years now......I'm over joyed at the fact she was found and her family now has answers....But at the same time my heart aches for this now young woman and what she is going to go through mentally over all of this....I pray the out come for her is painless and there is a lot of forgiveness to be had from many people......with that all being said THANK GOD for what I consider a true blessing and for the hope this story gives others whom are missing their loved ones......NEVER GIVE UP!!! :)

Lily, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 7 others like this.
  4. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

beautifully stated. I liked in the presser that a of concern was given to how this young lady will deal with this.

Lily, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 4 others like this.
  5. GatorD

GatorD Well-Known Member

I've live here in Jax and remember this from day one. Itnwas so sad for this very young mother to loose her first born this way. I remember all the news and the mother on TV begging for her baby to be returned. It was so sad. I'm so happy this Mom has learned where her baby is, I feel so sorry for all involved. It is going to be a hard road for this Kamiyah and the families. I can't wait to hear the how and why this woman kidnapped this baby and got away for so long.

I wonder if Kamiyah is the one who called the missing persons tip line? And the poor girl needs to shut her Facebook page down. Some of the comments there .

6. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

The reports say that some months ago she had an inclination that she might have been kidnapped but the details haven't been released

7. GatorD

GatorD Well-Known Member

8. GatorD

GatorD Well-Known Member

Wonder what her inclinations were?

9. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

I'm hoping more comes out on this

10. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

MULDER, GatorD, walkie-talkie and 3 others like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

I can't even imagine what must be going through her head. Very thankful that she was raised with love. (Not that this excuses the act, but it is far better than the alternatives we see here daily.) Hoping that she can connect with her biological family as well.

Kamiyah Mobley defends woman who abducted her from Florida hospital 18 years ago

A baby girl stolen from a Florida hospital 18 years ago defended the woman who abducted her and then raised her as her own.

In spite of that, Mobley took to Facebook to defend the woman she spent her life believing was her mother.

She wrote Williams “raised me with everything I needed and most of all everything I wanted.

“My mother is no felon. The ignorant ones won’t understand that.”

Mobley, now 18, was recently found alive and well, living in Walterboro, S.C., under the name Alexis Manigo.

Police arrested Williams, 51, on charges of kidnapping and interference with custody, and on Friday she agreed to be extradited to Florida.

Williams had reportedly suffered a miscarriage about a week before she drove from South Carolina to the Florida hospital, where she allegedly snatched the newborn, according to Walterboro Live.

Mobley, who grew up with Williams' two other biological children, was given a few brief moments to say goodbye to the woman who raised her — she cried through the caged window and called Williams “momma” during the emotional moment, WJXT reported.

In the hours after she learned her identity, Mobley connected with her biological family for the first time since she was stolen from Jacksonville University Medical Center, 18 years ago.

“Nobody works miracles but God. I know now he heard my prayers,” her grandmother, Velma Aiken told the Daily News after video chatting with her newfound grandchild.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...nds-woman-abducted-18-years-article-1.2946387

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

13. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Teen abducted from Jacksonville hospital at birth reunited with parents

by: Action News Jax Updated: Jan 14, 2017 - 6:23 PM

[​IMG]Facebook

An 18-year-old was reunited with her birth parents on Saturday, 18 years after she was abducted from a Jacksonville hospital.

Kamiyah Mobley was finally reunited with her biological mother and father on Saturday afternoon.

They drove to South Carolina from Jacksonville after hearing their daughter was found living in Walterboro.

Mobley’s father Craig Aiken said his daughter was glad to meet him.

"I never gave up hope, I always thought I’d find her,” Aiken said. "It’s been 18 years, it’s going to be hard to make that up you know"

Mobley also met her biological mother for the first time since she was taken just hours after her birth.

The two were guarded by police as they drove away.

The reunion happened at a police department in Walterboro, a community where Kamiyah Mobley has been living as Alexis Manigo.

Her birth parents drove up to #Jacksonville to see their daughter for the first time in 18 years https://t.co/RlspkgILvnpic.twitter.com/NQtmw0FzDf

— ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) January 14, 2017
    Police say she was raised by Gloria Williams, a woman who is accused of abducting her from a Jacksonville hospital in 1998 hours after she was born.

Williams was arrested at her home in Walterboro Friday morning and is now in custody.

Williams is from a town called Ruffin, which is about 20 minutes from Walterboro.

A lot of her family still lives there and a cousin told Action News Jax that the family had no idea of what police are accusing Williams of.

Uno2Much, Lily, MULDER and 6 others like this.
  14. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Can you imagine? The mom you've always loved turns out not to be your mom and is arrested? And then you're taken to your bio family who are strangers? So hard to fathom!

15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Woman accused of kidnapping Kamiyah booked into Jacksonville jail

The woman accused of posing as a nurse and kidnapping an hours-old baby from a Jacksonville hospital 18 years ago was brought from South Carolina to Jacksonville on Tuesday afternoon.

Gloria Williams, 51, waived extradition at a brief hearing on Friday on charges of kidnapping and interfering with custody for taking Kamiyah Mobley in July 1998 from what was then known as University Medical Center.

Jacksonville detectives drove her to Jacksonville, arriving about 4 p.m. She was walked into the building for questioning and booked into the Duval County jail at 4:37 p.m. The jail website shows she is being held without bond. It is expected that she will have a first appearance Wednesday morning.

Some months ago, the young woman "had an inclination" that she may have been kidnapped, when she learned while applying for jobs that her birth certificate and Social Security card were fraudulent.

The case broke thanks to a tip received by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, said Robert Lowery, a center vice president. He would not say from whom the tip came.

But the center soon reached out to the cold case detectives at the sheriff's office, and Mobley provided a swab of her cheek for DNA analysis that proved the match, the sheriff said.

The center has tracked 308 infant abductions since 1983 by nonfamily members in the U.S. Of those cases, 12 were still missing at the end of last month. That's now one number smaller.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/wo...baby-18-years-ago-transferred-to-jacksonville

Uno2Much, Lily, MULDER and 5 others like this.
  16. Kimster

• Gloria Williams, 51, was ordered held without bond on a chard of kidnapping during her first first court appearance on Wednesday
    • She is charged with kidnapping Alexis Manigo, 18, from a Jacksonville, Florida hospital hours after she was born
    • The teenager said that she does not want to see Williams sent to prison for her crime in her first interview on Wednesday
    • 'She made one mistake, but I was loved. From that one mistake I was given the best life,' said Manigo, who met with her birth parents for the first time last week
    • Manigo will not reveal when she learned that she had been kidnapped for fear of incriminating Williams
    • Arika Williams, a friend and 'half-sister' to Manigo, said in an interview on Wednesday that the teenager learned the truth two years ago

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...apped-birth-breaks-silence.html#ixzz4W8guq5VW

Uno2Much, Lily, MULDER and 5 others like this.
  17. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

What a nice young lady she seemed to turn into. That should at least be taken into account, but yes, she was kidnapped and the kidnapper should be punished. I do agree with the daughter that it shouldn't be for life, though since she was treated well. I do understand bio parents if they did not agree. Poor girl caught between a rock and a hard place for sure.

18. Tammy

Tammy Well-Known Member

This has the makings of a Life time movie.....Below is just a few links I didn't want to flood the thread....but with me being local to yet another case this is ALL that is on our news and the talk of the town to say the least......I just hope this young lady stays well adjusted and pray for her with all she is now going thru and going to have to deal with in the future....

Kamiyah's birth mom appreciates support; I-TEAM learns details of hospital settlement
    Teenager mother took cash payout from $1.5 million settlement of lawsuit

http://www.news4jax.com/news/kamiya...-i-team-learns-details-of-hospital-settlement

Teen abducted as baby sends message to 'mother' in TV interview
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/kamiyah-alexis-mobley-speaks-for-first-time

Police: Woman told friend 18 months ago she kidnapped Kamiyah
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/accused-kidnapper-appears-in-duval-county-court

Accused kidnapper invokes right to remain silent
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/accused-kidnapper-invokes-right-to-remain-silent

Uno2Much, Lily, MULDER and 4 others like this.
  19. Kimster

I wonder what method Kamiya's prospective employer used so that she learned her ID was fraudulent? Interesting.

Lily, MULDER, walkie-talkie and 4 others like this.
  20. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

This could have been caught when the employer received the I-9 form with the employee's initial hire. They could have verified this with the Gov't if they suspected any of the supporting documents. Quarterly payroll reports are also reported to the Gov't and the IRS may have caught the discrepancy at that time.

Lily, MULDER, walkie-talkie and 3 others like this.