1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

KAREN CHETCUTI, 49yrs - Murdered - Wangaratta, Vic - 12 Jan 2016 **ARREST**

Discussion in 'Australia: Crimes & Trials' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jan 14, 2016.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Homicide Squad joins search for missing Wangaratta woman Karen Chetcuti

[​IMG]

Police hold grave fears for a 49-year-old woman from the Wangaratta area who has been missing for at least two days.

Karen Chetcuti, a local council worker who lives in the township of Whorouly, was last seen on Tuesday night between 5.30pm and 7.30pm.

Homicide Squad detectives travelled up to the state's north east on Thursday after the discovery of a burnt-out car in Myrtleford believed to be connected with Ms Chetcuti.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/h...missing-wangaratta-woman-20160114-gm6e3s.html

Burnt-out car of missing woman Karen Chetcuti found near Wangaratta; homicide squad join search

The homicide squad is now involved in the search for a missing mother of twoin northern Victoria, after her burnt-out car was found at Myrtleford, police say.

He said the last sighting of Ms Chetcuti they knew of was at the pub between 5:30pm and 7:30pm on Tuesday, but she was acting normally.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-15/search-for-missing-wangaratta-woman-karen-chetcuti/7090856

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/karen-chetcuti-missing-from-australia.1156/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    spike, GarAndMo49, MarlyWings and 2 others like this.
  2. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

This is all over the radio here,
    Everyone is saying the same thing - a lovely, hardworking mum, low profile life and well liked and respected by all who know her.
    :(

spike, GarAndMo49, MarlyWings and 2 others like this.
  3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

A burnt-out car is NEVER good news. :(

4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Ms Chetcuti's vehicle was later found engulfed in flames at 5am on Thursday morning at Halls Road and Reform Hill Lookout Road in Myrtleford.

Sniffer dogs were brought to the scene at Halls Road, which backs on to a pine tree plantation, on Thursday afternoon, the Border Mail reports.

It is believed multiple crime scenes have been established.

Detective Sergeant Solomon said the burnt-out vehicle was alarming to police.

"That's a very significant piece of the puzzle that we have to solve," he said.

At this stage, police say there is no connection between Ms Chetcuti's disappearance and her separated husband.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/h...atta-woman-20160114-gm6e3s.html#ixzz3xHqPyc3N

Note that she went missing Tuesday night, the car was set alight some time Thursday morning. Probably was in someone's yard or garage for a couple of days, until it was moved out to the forest, is my hunch.

Her poor kids! Hard enough to lose your mum so young... let alone like this. :(

5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Thats it Lily, same as Johann Morgan a couple of months back up in NSW remember.

spike, MarlyWings and Lily like this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Yes.. and a lot of cases over in the US. I see 'burnt car' and just know they'll be looking for a body.

So many women being murdered here, in the most horrible ways. It used to be relatively rare, and just about every murder made national news for weeks. It's like we're done catching up with the rest of the world in that regard, this past decade. More's the pity.

spike, MarlyWings and MissyMoo like this.
  7. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

8. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Victoria Police quiz rapist over disappearance of Whorouly woman Karen Chetcuti

January 15, 2016 8:38pm

A CONVICTED rapist who was the last known person to see a woman who has been missing for three days has been spoken to by detectives.

But Michael Cardomone told the Herald Sun he had nothing to do with the disappearance of Karen Chetcuti, 49, a manager at the City of Wangaratta.

“When I saw her she seemed happy. I was picking tomatoes,” he said.

“It’s very stressful. I didn’t have anything to do with it.”

Cardomone’s property shares a boundary with Ms Chetcuti’s home in Whorouly, 30km east of Wangaratta.

He said he saw his neighbour at 9.15 on Tuesday night.

Cardomone said police had repeatedly returned to his property to question him

“They have been speaking to me because of my past and I was the last person to see her,” said Cardomone, who was released from jail in July after serving nine years for rape.

He said he spoke to Ms Chetcuti over his fence on Tuesday night but had nothing to do with her disappearance.

Investigators urge anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...d/news-story/0b73ba998dc9fd333eee7dd0b1e5d4c9

spike, MissyMoo, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  9. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

spike, MissyMoo, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  10. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Hunt continues for missing Whorouly woman Karen Chetcuti

January 16, 2016 - 6:51PM

The search for missing woman Karen Chetcuti is entering its fourth day, with the police focus still squarely on the Whorouly and Myrtleford areas

The investigation into the disappearance of a Whorouly woman took a turn on Saturday night, with police now searching for a convicted rapist who said he was the last to see her before she disappeared.

Homicide Squad detectives visited the home of Michael Cardamone, whose property borders missing woman Karen Chetcuti's, twice on Saturday to speak with him, but he was not home. It is understood police could not locate him.

They have refused to comment on whether Mr Cardamone, a convicted rapist, is a person of interest, though Mr Cardamone himself told Fairfax Media and News Corp in bizarre interviews on Thursday that he believed he was being targeted because of his prior offence.

There was no sign of Mr Cardamone on Saturday and his white ute remained in the driveway.

Fairfax Media was told on Saturday there may be at least three suspects being investigated over the disappearance.

http://www.theage.com.au/act-news/hunt-continues-for-missing-whorouly-woman-karen-chetcuti-20160116-gm7bz2.html#ixzz3xPAbbnQZ

spike, MissyMoo and GarAndMo49 like this.
  11. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

He told Fairfax Media the well-known and well-liked 49-year-old had come over to his house to collect tomatoes, which he grows. She stayed there, he said, from 8.40pm to 9.20pm on Tuesday.

A convicted rapist, who, according to above court file, threatened to kill his victim. On his own admission, was the last person to see Karen.....at his house. And he's now disappeared. :thinking:

12. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

This just reinforces my opinion that convicted rapists need to be locked up for life- they DON'T change! And they don't deserve second (and third, fourth, ad infinitum) chances, period.:maddening::twocents:

spike, MissyMoo and MarlyWings like this.
  13. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

14. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

No kidding, @MarlyWings... I just skimmed through the document, but it's awful that the young girls have to endure a retrial. A well known figure skating coach got busted within the past year or so for similar acts; they sure know how to learn skills that place them in the proximity of minors (SMH).
    I feel ill thinking about Karen...I don't trust ANYONE these days.:sigh:

15. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

16. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

17. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

The fact her purse and handbag were left at the home was “a situation that appeared extremely out of order”, Detective Sergeant Sol Solomon of the Homicide Squad said.

Asked on Friday if he thought she was still alive, he said it was a hard question to answer. “I don’t know,” he said.

“I hope she is, I really hope she’s still alive.

“She could be still alive but the longer it goes, the more grave the situation becomes in relation to her survival.”

Police have spoken to several people of interest over her disappearance.

“I strongly suspect that there is someone, or some others, involved in this disappearance,” Detective Sergeant Solomon said.

He said police were not aware of any conflict in her life and there was no evidence to suggest her ex-husband had any connection to her disappearance.

“This is something completely out of character for her,” he said.

“She lives a normal lifestyle.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/3667315/foul-play-likely-say-police/

18. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

January 16, 2016 9:27pm

POLICE are looking for a convicted rapist who vanished hours after he revealed detectives had spoken to him about the disappearance of his missing neighbour.

Detectives arrived at the home of rapist Michael Cardamone at 2.15pm yesterday expecting to be able to speak to him about Karen Chetcuti’s disappearance but he was not there.

[​IMG]

Michael Cardone.Source:Supplied

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...d/news-story/0b73ba998dc9fd333eee7dd0b1e5d4c9

spike, MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  19. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

<"When I saw her she seemed happy,” he said.> snipped from above link.
    Yeah, and you seem law-abiding- creepo. Puh-leeze. That face just screams "I make people happy! Nice guy here!" I'm shaking out of rage; this waste of protoplasm doesn't need to be walking around free, whether he hurt Karen or not. Sorry, I'm beyond furious!!

20. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

I don't know about anyone else but a disgusting creep, from one of our worst murder cases, keeps coming to mind even though they look completely different. Perhaps it's the abundance of lies that both have told is what they have in common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jill_Meagher