1. NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on Monday, September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information

CALIFORNIA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for John Weir, 2, who was abducted from Merced on September 20.
    He is believed to be in the company of his "armed and dangerous" father, Steven Weir, 32.
    They may be traveling in a red 2005 Hyundai Elantra with California plates 5SKT544.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

KARINA VETRANO: NY vs Chanel Lewis for murder of Queens jogger *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by Cousin Dupree, Aug 11, 2016.

1. TribeofTiger

TribeofTiger Well-Known Member

If there ever was an occasion for a good lady to drop the f-bomb, this was it. Dude's lucky she didn't smuggle in a gun.

spike and Cousin Dupree like this.
  2. TribeofTiger

TribeofTiger Well-Known Member

If there ever was an occasion for a good lady to drop the f-bomb, this was it. Dude's lucky she didn't smuggle in a gun.

MULDER, Olenna, spike and 2 others like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Karina Vetrano murder suspect arraigned; asked police to 'Tell my mom that I'm sorry'

The man accused of killing Queens jogger Karina Vetrano was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court Tuesday after being indicted by a grand jury on murder and sexual abuse charges.

Prosecutors read aloud statements that suspect Chanel Lewis gave to police, including asking them to tell his mom that he was sorry.

Lewis, a 20-year-old Brooklyn man, told NYPD detectives he "just lost it" when he encountered Vetrano on a jogging path, according to prosecutors.

Vetrano "didn't do anything," Lewis said. "I was just mad at the time. I beat her to let my emotions out. I never really meant to hurt her, it just happened."

Lewis pleaded not guilty to the charges. He will return to court on July 13.

http://abc7ny.com/news/karina-vetrano-murder-suspect-tell-my-mom-that-im-sorry/1887393/

4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Man accused of killing Queens jogger Karina Vetrano drops insanity defense after psychiatrists find his 'mental issues' are not severe enough

Lawyers acting for a man accused of raping and murdering a woman as she jogged near her home will drop their bid for an insanity defense.

Authorities allege that Chanel Lewis, 21, raped and murdered 30-year-old Karina Vetrano as she jogged near her Howard Beach home in Spring Creek Park on August 2, 2016.

But his attorneys shocked prosecutors when they pulled their insanity plea after citing that his 'mental issues' were 'not enough to make a legal statement'.

Robert Moeller, who spoke after Lewis appeared at Queens Criminal Court on Thursday according to DNAInfo, said: 'It doesn't mean he doesn't have problems. He's got issues. He's got issues from way back.

'It's just not at the level of legal insanity for the defense.'

Lewis was assessed by psychiatrists while being held at Rikers Island prison, his lawyers said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-killing-jogger-drops-insanity-defense.html

Cousin Dupree, Paradise and spike like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Jury Selection begins in Vetrano Case

Jury selection for the trial of the man accused of murdering Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano is set to commence this Monday, Oct. 29.

Chanel Lewis, 22, sexually abused and strangled Vetrano, 30, on the night of Aug. 2, 2016, as she jogged in Spring Creek Park near her home, according to prosecutors. The East New York man was arrested in February 2017 and formally indicted two months later.

Lewis appeared in court on Thursday to hear Judge Michael Aloise’s ruling that the record of Lewis’s trip to a Brooklyn emergency room the day after the murder could be presented as evidence to the jury, according to the New York Daily News. On Aug. 3, 2016, Lewis’s father, Richard, accompanied his son to the SUNY Downstate Medical Center ER “for injuries he claimed he suffered at the hands of a gang of muggers,” his dad told the News.

Lewis’s DNA was found in skin cells under Vetrano’s fingernails. Police and prosecutors have said that the jogger, who was also savagely beaten, fought ferociously for her life prior to being strangled to death.

In another ruling on Thursday, Aloise denied the Queens District Attorney’s request for Lewis’s cell phone records for Aug. 3, 2016.

http://theforumnewsgroup.com/2018/10/25/jury-selection-begins-in-vetrano-case/

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

'I saw red, punched her five times then finished her off': Jury watches chilling confession tape of man who 'raped and strangled' Queens jogger as he calmly describes the attack telling how she scratched his face to try and fight him off

The confession tape of the man accused of killing jogger Karina Vetrano was played in court for jurors during his murder trial Friday.

Jurors watched playback of the video tape in which Chanel Lewis, 22, can be heard admitting that he 'finished her off' while appearing to confess to 30-year-old Karina's murder in Queens, New York's Spring Creek Park.

In the tape, which was recorded in February 2017, Lewis told authorities that he had punched Karina five times, before dragging her 'by the hands' into the grass near the jogging path, where he said he 'finished her off,' according to the New York Post.

During the taped confession, Lewis also said that he 'was beating her and was mad at her,' after she tried to fight him off.

'I got angry,' Lewis said, according to the New York Daily News. 'I saw red. I never meant to do anything.'

He also said in the tape that Karina had not done anything to provoke him and that she never screamed because 'her tooth broke.'

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-brutally-raped-strangled-Queens-jogger.html

7. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SERIOUSLY?!?? HOW?!?!

Judge declares mistrial in Karina Vetrano murder case

A mistrial has been declared due to a hung jury in the murder trial of Chanel Lewis, the man accused of killing Karina Vetrano while she was out jogging in Queens.

Justice Michael Aloise declared the mistrial after the jurors were split, with seven voting guilty and five not guilty.

The Queens District Attorney's office said they will retry the case, and Lewis remains in custody. His next court date is Jan. 22.

On Tuesday night, after only a day and a half of deliberations, the jury sent a note to the judge saying they could not make progress one way or another and had exhausted all thoughts and opinions.

"The jury is understanding that DNA is not all it, confession's not all it, and there are issues in the case that, as you all see, it's much more complex," said defense attorney Jenny Cheung.

He also pointed to what he called strong DNA evidence. One expert testified that the DNA profile established from evidence collected from Vetrano's fingernails, her neck and cell phone matched Lewis' DNA profile.

https://abc7ny.com/judge-declares-mistrial-in-karina-vetrano-murder-case/4717795/

Kimster and Cousin Dupree like this.
  8. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

OMG!! DNA and a confession? I can't help but think that crimes by the justice system had something to do with this. I don't have any idea what the jury was thinking, but PD's not even testing some DNA evidence and coerced confessions may have had something to with it. The case in Boston where the lab technician wasn't testing stuff and signed off as having tested it and many coerced confessions being reported to the public has eroded confidence in PD's.

When I was a juror I'm very sure that one of the cops on the stand lied about something. It was inconsequential to the case, but I'm pretty sure he lied. The Rochester PD has acted like a police state between the time I was a juror and today. I'd be watching experts closely if I was on another jury now. However, I think this case is clearly a case of rock sold guilt.

NYC's stop and frisk strategy, which was ruled unconstitutional, has made a lot of minorities in NYC suspicious of the police. I don't know to what extent, If any, these things may have done to contribute to the hung jury, but I wouldn't be surprised.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Kimster like this.
  9. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

This is not good news for any victims or their families.

10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Retrial of Karina Vetrano murder suspect Chanel Lewis set for March

The retrial of the man accused of murdering Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano more than two years ago is set to begin on March 12, a Queens State Supreme Court judge said Tuesday.

During a brief court appearance, Judge Michael Aloise disclosed that jury selection will begin on that date in the trial of Chanel Lewis, now 22, whose first murder trial late last year ended in a hung jury.

Outside court on Tuesday, Philip Vetrano, the victim’s father, said he was happy a date was finally set for the retrial but voiced discomfort with the fact that he and his family had to sit through the evidence again.

A spokesman for the Legal Aid Society, which is representing Lewis, said the agency had no comment about the new trial.

https://www.amny.com/news/karina-vetrano-murder-trial-1.26276301

11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Jury selection to start in retrial of accused killer of Howard Beach jogger

After a mistrial last November, Queens prosecutors and defense attorneys will begin this week picking another jury in the case of the Brooklyn man accused of the murder two years ago of Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano.

Dozens of potential jurors are scheduled to appear before Queens State Supreme Court Justice Michael Aloise to be screened for a panel to hear evidence in the case against Chanel Lewis, 22 of East New York.

“The jury selection becomes critical in this second round,” said Brooklyn defense attorney James DiPietro, a former Nassau County assistant district attorney.

On paper, said DiPietro, the prosecution has a strong case. But juries can be unpredictable, he noted.

“There is no such thing as a ‘gimme’ in this business," he said.

The prosecution should want a jury of older, working people with children, while the defense is likely to angle for a young panel like that in the first trial, said DiPietro.

The evidence and witnesses are expected to be basically the same, with testimony from detectives, experts and Vetrano’s father, a retired FDNY firefighter, who gave emotional testimony about the search with police and the painful discovery of the body of his once-vivacious daughter.

https://www.amny.com/news/vetrano-jogger-retrial-howard-beach-1.28306819

kdg411 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  12. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

From what I've heard, re-trials favor the prosecution because they know what the defense theory will be now.

kdg411 and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

So upsetting that her parents have to go through this again...

Slain jogger Karina Vetrano’s parents deliver tearful testimony at retrial: ‘I was screaming in the streets’

The parents of slain New York City jogger Karina Vetrano, 30, recalled in tearful testimony on Tuesday the final day they spend with their daughter and the moment they discovered she was murdered.

Catherine and Phil Vetrano took the stand in court to testify in the retrial of Chanel Lewis, who is accused of sexually assaulting and strangling Vetrano when she was jogging near her family’s Howard Beach home in August 2016.

“I just remember, I was screaming in the streets," Catherine recalled about the moment she found out her daughter was dead. "I saw my husband...he just came, and we grabbed each other, and we were just crying.”

Phil Vetrano also testified on Tuesday that he screamed, “my baby, my baby, my baby,” when he discovered his daughter’s body. He said he dropped down to his knees and held her body, PIX11 reported.

Lewis’ attorneys and the Legal Aid Society, however, believe their client was coerced into a confession and said his DNA was not at the crime scene.

“This awful crime was not committed by that young man,” said defense attorney Jen Cheung. “Chanel did not murder Karina. He did not sexually assault her, either. Ladies and gentlemen, you won’t hear evidence linking Chanel to a sexual assault. You won’t see Chanel’s blood or body fluid, shoeprints or hair at the crime scene. You won’t see his fingerprints at the crime scene, either.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/slain-jo...ony-at-retrial-i-was-screaming-in-the-streets

15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Autopsy photos of Karina Vetrano shown in retrial of her alleged killer

Using autopsy photos that drew gasps from courtroom spectators, a city medical examiner described for a Queens jury Wednesday the injuries Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano sustained when she was strangled during a run near her home in the summer of 2016.

Dr. Margaret Prial told jurors in the trial of Chanel Lewis that the petite Vetrano suffered multiple abrasions, contusions, cuts and bruises, as well as injuries that were sexual in nature. The display of graphic images of their daughter caused Catherine and Philip Vetrano to bend down and hug each other to avoid looking at them. Prial, who has been with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for more than two decades, performed the autopsy on the 30-year-old Vetrano.

In a new twist for the retrial, Queens prosecutors used Prial, who had also testified in the last trial, to introduce additional microscopic evidence from Lewis’s outpatient hospital treatment for a hand injury the day after Vetrano died. Prosecutors with the Queens District Attorneys Office contend the injury to Lewis’s right hand was sustained as he pummeled the 4-foot 11-inch Vetrano in the park during a fit off anger. They are using Lewis's medical records from his treatment at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn to build a more extensive collection of circumstantial evidence against him.

An X-ray of Lewis’s right hand indicated a tiny foreign object near the cut fifth metacarpal joint on his right hand, which one doctor said was a classic boxer injury, an assessment with which Prial agreed. The foreign object wasn’t identified but Prial indicated it could have been a chip from a broken bonded tooth in Vetrano’s mouth. Prial also said lab cultures showed Lewis had four types of bacteria in the cut on his hand: two types generally found in the human mouth, one in feces and another in brackish water. Lewis confessed to trying to clean his injured hand in a puddle where he beat Vetrano but denied sexually abusing her, authorities have said.

https://www.amny.com/news/slain-jogger-vetrano-1.29050101

16. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

Judge denies mistrial motion in Karina Vetrano murder trial, closing arguments underway

Closing arguments are underway Monday in the retrial of a man accused of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano, after the judge denied a defense request for a mistrial over an anonymous letter claiming the prosecution withheld evidence.

Attorneys for Chanel Lewis, whose first trial ended in November with a hung jury, filed the motion for mistrial over what they called a "race-biased dragnet."

The Legal Aid Society says it received the letter claiming to be from a police officer that reportedly said police first suspected two white men in the murder and that police conducted a racially based dragnet, claiming more than 360 black men had their DNA taken in Queens and Brooklyn as police searched for their suspect.

17. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

'Justice has been served': Man guilty of killing New York City jogger Karina Vetrano

The man accused of killing jogger Karina Vetrano was found guilty on all charges Thursday night.

Chanel Lewis, 21, was convicted of murder and sexual abuse and faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Sentencing has been scheduled for April 17.

"Jubilation. Justice has been served," the victim's father, Phil Vetrano, said as he exited the courtroom while holding hands with his wife. "He just got a death sentence, he's going to die in jail. We can't be any more pleased, and now we move on."

18. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod