1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic KARMEIN CHAN: 13 year old abducted and murdered in Templestowe - 1991

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by MarlyWings, Apr 15, 2016.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

$1 million reward announced on 25th anniversary of abduction and murder of Karmein Chan

13 April 2016 05:34

Homicide Squad Cold Case detectives are today announcing a reward of up to $1 million following the abduction and murder of 13-year-old Karmein Chan back in 1991.

Karmein was abducted from her Templestowe home on 13 April in 1991.

While her parents were working at a Chinese restaurant in Eltham, Karmein and her two younger sisters were confronted by a man wearing a balaclava about 9.15pm.

The offender forced Karmein's sisters into a wardrobe before fleeing with Karmein.

A year later on 9 April, Karmein's body was found at Edgars Creek in Thomastown.

An autopsy revealed she had been shot.

Despite an extensive investigation led by Crime Command detectives over the past 25 years, no one has been identified as Karmein's murderer.

Police have searched around 30, 000 homes and interviewed 27, 000 people in relation to this case over the years.

Crime Command Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana believes someone out there holds the key to solving this murder.

“This unsolved murder has been extremely devastating to the Chan family,” AC Fontana said.

“We are hoping that today’s $1 million announcement will encourage someone out there with crucial information or direct knowledge of this murder to come forward.

A reward of up to $1 million will be paid at the discretion of the Chief Commissioner of Police for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for the abduction and murder.

In appropriate cases, the DPP may consider, according to established guidelines, the granting of indemnification from prosecution to any person who provides information as to the identity of the principal offender or offenders in this matter.

Any payment of a reward will be subject to the applicant signing a deed of confidentiality prior to payment.

[​IMG]

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/new...-of-abduction-and-murder-of-karmein-chan.html

MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  2. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Absolutely staggering the work police have put into this case!!

3. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Karmein Chan murder: Police believe 'Mr Cruel' may still be alive

13th April,2016

Victoria Police believe the notorious child predator dubbed "Mr Cruel" is still alive and will have hoarded items stolen from his victims.

On the 25th anniversary of Melbourne schoolgirl Karmein Chan's abduction, police have offered a $1 million reward for information about her unsolved murder.

The 13-year-old was abducted by a balaclava-clad man from her Templestowe home in 1991, after he had forced her two sisters into a wardrobe.

Her body was found a year later at Edgars Creek in Thomastown. She had been shot three times.

Initial investigations linked Karmein's abduction to similar attacks on 10-year-old Sharon Wills and 13-year-old Nicola Lynas.

In those cases, the girls were taken from their homes, molested and then released.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana, said the offender in those cases went to extremes to cover his identity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-13/karmein-chan-murder-1m-reward-offered/7321604

4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I can't believe it's been 25 years.... I was only thinking about Karmein a couple weeks ago, wondering where she is, as so many have over the years.

The details of the other attacks are really frightening, when I get a moment I'll post them up.

MissyMoo likes this.
  5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

What is a balaclava?

MissyMoo likes this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Kimster and MissyMoo like this.
  7. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

@Lily remember I was telling you about how I was totally mental when the kids were younger with the home security stuff?
    When VicPol were canvassing the public for info on this, we were living in a rented house in Strathmore (under flight path to Essendon and Tulla airports) they knocked on our door and asked to see our bathroom.
    Of course we obliged, they checked it and then asked us if that main bathroom was the only bathroom in the house (the house was kinda a stilt house so residents could have built under main house due to design) ours didn't though.
    I remember seeing them spend weeks maybe months door knocking the houses in our area and probably many others under the flight path of the multiple airports (I cant imagine how many hours that job took)
    I don't know what VicPol know but they must know something about the bathroom layout or something specific.
    And that is what started my mental-ness with being super vigilant to the extreme.
    I was just a young mum then, and would sob when Phyllis Chan (Karmeins mother) was on the news pleaing for her daughters safe return.

MarlyWings and Kimster like this.