1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA KEVIN COLLINS: Missing from San Francisco, CA - 10 Feb 1984 - Age 10

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by CatFancier, Apr 19, 2015.

1. CatFancier

CatFancier Feline

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
  2. cinsbythesea

cinsbythesea Active Member

Akoya, MULDER, DaisyChains and 3 others like this.
  3. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

4. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

5. cinsbythesea

cinsbythesea Active Member

Thank you for posting this! I had no idea they had a Facebook page for Kevin! Thanks to this info you posted I see Mr. Collins doesn't even reside in the US anymore. It's probably highly unlikely but it sure would be nice to have closure to this case while his parents are still alive.

Whatsnext, Akoya, MULDER and 5 others like this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Child bones found in planter boxes; retired inspector hopes discovery solves cold case

More details are emerging about the bones of a child found in planter boxes in San Francisco's Alamo Square neighborhood. Some are wondering if those remains could help solve a cold case that has haunted police for decades.

Police are waiting for lab results, but the burning question is the identity of the child, whose bones were found in planter boxes outside two adjacent apartment buildings, and how old the bones are.

Toomey says the last time he can remember a similar police operation was two years ago in a house about a mile away in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood. That is when investigators tore up the basement floor when cadaver dogs located bones in a house once occupied by a person of interest in the disappearance of Kevin Collins -- a 10-year-old boy who has been missing since 1984. However, the bones found turned out to be from an animal.

The latest discovery brings Toomey back to that cold case.

"The only case that I know of, of a child that is unsolved and the child's body has not been found is Kevin Collins in San Francisco. So when something like this happens... I mean, you have to think that way," he said.

Investigators are waiting for test results.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/child-bones-found-in-planter-boxes-in-san-francisco/1127782/

KareBear, Akoya, MULDER and 5 others like this.
  7. CatFancier

CatFancier Feline

This was my first thought before they even stated it was a child's bones!

8. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Maybe his loved ones will have answers soon.

9. CatFancier

CatFancier Feline

10. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Good grief.. planter boxes...

Who are these poor people? Mother and child? Victims of a serial killer, or domestic violence? Is one of them Kevin?

edit: It seems that the boxes had street access, so anyone could've put the bones there.... I hope police are tracking down the original resident who placed the boxes, in 2007.

Will be watching this thread. Let's hope all of these victims see some justice out of this discovery.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Mel70, Akoya, MULDER and 2 others like this.
  11. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

ABC7 News spoke with the woman who found the first bone and set the entire investigation into motion. She did not want to be interviewed on camera, but told ABC7 News planter boxes were put on the porch by a tenant in 2007 and a couple of weeks ago, she was trying to save the plants, but throw out the boxes after discovering they had termites. That is when she found a human bone in the soil.

[​IMG]

12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

13. Kimster

I can't even imagine! I wonder who the tenant was?

Akoya, MULDER, spike and 2 others like this.
  14. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

i doubt it was the tenant. they would have to be a real bonehead to put the remains of someone they killed in their planter boxes and leave it for the landlord to find. I've got a feeling that someone put the remains in there after the boxes were put on the street. How they found the time and privacy to do this is beyond me, but it seems rather taunting as if the killer has a secret he can walk/drive by everyday that no one knows about except him and THAT IS DISTURBING. im wondering how old the bones are... did the person who was in control of those remains keep them for some time and needed a place to stash them finally? was the dirt in the planter boxes refreshed by a public landscaping company since 2007? where does that dirt come from? is there a chance that the bones could have been accidentally in those planters and were moved with the dirt - that the company that has the dirt did not realize there were human bones in their supply?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Whatsnext, Akoya, MULDER and 2 others like this.
  15. DaisyChains

a good thoery someone made on reddit that I am leaning toward:

"San Francisco used to be filled with graveyards until they-- mostly-- dug up the remains and moved them to Colma. There are notable exceptions to this, such as the golf course grounds in the Outer Richmond built over an old graveyard, where groundskeepers often have to rebury old bones that poke up from the ground after heavy rains. It's possible the bones in these planters could have somehow come from soil taken from an old graveyard or something."

Mel70, Akoya, MULDER and 2 others like this.
  16. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Thanks Daisy, that's all really interesting.

However, I don't think it's all that improbable that a killer would bury a victim's remains close to home, plenty have done so. I actually think there might be other planter box cases... if I'm not misrembering? Anyway, it's been known to happen.

I've not the time immediately to go and look, but I'd love to know if any progress has been made on ID'ing those bones, or even how old they might be..

Akoya, MULDER and spike like this.
  17. DaisyChains

just checked earlier and there has been no progress or ID of the remains :(

Mel70, Lily, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  18. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

Anything new with the bones found?

Lily, Akoya and Paradise like this.
  19. Kimster

I couldn't find a thing in the past year. :(

Lily, Akoya and RedRose like this.
  20. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

Maybe the bones are still being worked on for identification. Probably, Forensics, would have tested for little Kevin Collins first. Which means.......

Kimster, Lily and Akoya like this.