1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

    NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

ND KRISTOPHER CLARKE: Missing from New Town, ND - 22 February 2012 - Age 29

Discussion in 'Missing 2010 to 2014' started by Akoya, Mar 23, 2018.

  1. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    On the day K.C. disappeared, he had gone to turn in a company credit card at the company he had worked for but was leaving (Blackstone trucking) and had called a business associate and his best friend. While talking to his best friend K.C. said that he was going to stop and get some gas and then call his friend right back. That was the last anyone heard from K.C. He never called his friend back. His truck was later found in Williston ND. There has been no: contact with anyone, cell phone or bank activity, sightings of K.C. since 2/22/2012

    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2018
  2. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    NamUs MP # 17150
    Kristopher Clarke
    Mountrail County, North Dakota
    29 year old white male

    Case Report - NamUs MP # 17150

    Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Kristopher
    Middle name David
    Last name Clarke
    Nickname/Alias K.C.
    Date last seen February 22, 2012 22:12
    Date entered 08/20/2012
    Age last seen 29 to 29 years old
    Age now 35 years old
    Race White
    Sex Male
    Height (inches) 70.0 to 71.0
    Weight (pounds) 135.0 to 155.0

    City New Town
    State North Dakota
    Zip code
    County Mountrail
    On the day K.C. disappeared, he had gone to turn in a company credit card at the company he had worked for but was leaving (Blackstone trucking) and had called a business associate and his best friend. While talking to his best friend K.C. said that he was going to stop and get some gas and then call his friend right back. That was the last anyone heard from K.C. He never called his friend back. His truck was later found in Williston ND. There has been no: contact with anyone, cell phone or bank activity, sightings of K.C. since 2/22/2012

    Hair color Brown
    Head hair
    short, neat
    Body hair
    chest hair, may or may not have chest hair shaved. When he worked out, he shaved it.
    Facial hair
    thin mustache, "5 o'clock shadow"/very short beard. tiny patch of hair under bottom lip
    Left eye color Brown
    Right eye color Brown
    Eye description
    medium golden brown eyes

    Scars and marks
    linear scars on both legs, scar on left wrist, scar on stomach, scar on left side around to upper back

    Ears. Lobes and upper ear. May or may not have been wearing earrings. Keloid present on one ear (scar from piercing)

    Foreign objects
    surgical pins to repair bones in legs and left wrist

    grey jogging suit

    Transportation Methods
    Vehicle make Chevrolet
    Vehicle model C/K 3500
    Year 2007
    Style Pickup
    Vehicle color White

    Vehicle comments
    Extended cab, diesel, license plate #AC63117-found in Williston ND

    Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered

    Status: Initial inquiry underway

    Fingerprint Information
    Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

    Investigating Agency
    Title Special agent
    First name Steve
    Last name Gutknecht
    Phone 701-774-4310
    Case number 120380
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction State
    Agency North Dakota DCI
    Address 1 P.O. Box 337
    Address 2
    City Williston
    State North Dakota
  3. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    Paradise likes this.
  4. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    Paradise likes this.
  5. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    Paradise likes this.
  6. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    On the day K.C. disappeared, he had gone to turn in a company credit card at the company he had worked for but was leaving (Blackstone trucking) and had called a business associate and his best friend.

  7. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

  8. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    ... a federal jury in Washington found James Henrikson guilty of the murder-for-hire killings of Doug Carlile (left) and Kristopher “K.C.” Clarke (right).

  9. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    ... Buckley Mom Straddles Hope and Grief as One-Year Anniversary of Son's Disappearance Approaches-

  10. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    Footprints At The River's Edge
    Raising awareness for missing young adult males.

    March 27, 2013
    02/22/12: Kristopher Clarke, 29, New Town, ND

    Kristopher Clarke
    Missing since 2/22/12
    from New Town, N.D.

    Kristopher Clarke is missing.
    Kristopher David Clarke, nickname K.C., 29, has been missing since Feb. 22, 2012. Kristopher is a native of Washington, but had gone to North Dakota to make some money. He was last sighted at his job at Blackstone Trucking in New Town, N.D. and has has not been heard from again. His truck, a white 2007 Chevrolet diesel engine extended cab (license plate AC63117) was later found abandoned in Williston, ND on April 1, 2012.

    Friends became worried about Kristopher after the stopped hearing from him. A landlord for a rental house he had been paying for in Texas also stopped receiving checks.

    Kristopher is 5 feet 9 inches and weighs about 140 pounds. He has brown hair and eyes. Clarke has scars from a motorcycle accident on both his lower legs, left wrist, stomach, and over his left ribs. He also has pins and plates and walks with a slight limp. He was last seen wearing a gray jogging suit.

    Kristopher's mother, Jill Williams, created a Facebook page called Find KcGimpdaddy as a tool to help find her son and to receive tips on his location.

    According to a Facebook post, Williams explains why she named the page. 'Friends called him gimp daddy after his motorcycle accident, and thought putting that in along with his name would make it easier to find this page' (Brownstone Bulletin).

    On March 19, 2013, Williams posted, "My son K.C. Clarke has been missing for a little over a year now. I have learned a lot on this terrible journey of searching for my son, including the awareness of the immense number of people missing around the world and the terrible toll it takes on their friends and family members. My journey has been filled with uncertainties, frustration, sadness, a frantic need to get the word out that my son is missing, searching for help and just plain not knowing what to do. I hope this page will turn into a place for others with missing loved ones to come and share their loved ones missing info, find comfort, advice and resources."

    If you have any information about Kristopher David Clarke, contact Officer Ryan Zimmerman, Williston Police Department, 701-577-1212, e-mail police@ci.williston.nd.us.

    According to a May 22, 2013 Facebook post, financial help is desperately needed to cover expenses for the search and investigation teams. Donations of cash and gift cards for gas, restaurants and hotel are desperately needed so the search for Kristopher can continue. If you can help:

    Kristopher Clarke Fund c/o Jill Williams
    PO Box 799
    Buckley, Wa. 98321
    E-mail: merrylegss@yahoo.com
    PayPal account: merrylegss@yahoo.com

    Case Details

    Kristopher D. Clarke (nickname K.C.), 29
    Physical description: 5'9", 140 pounds, brown hair, brown eyes
    Last seen: 2/22/12, Brownstone Trucking, New Town, ND
    Investigating Agency Contacts: Williston Police, 701-577-1212 or Crime Stoppers, 701-572-8477
    Links: https://www.facebook.com/FindKcGimpdaddy
  11. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    Kristopher David Clarke

    • Missing Since02/22/2012
    • Missing FromNew Town, North Dakota
    • ClassificationEndangered Missing
    • Date of Birth10/23/1991 (26)
    • Age20 years old
    • Height and Weight5'9 - 5'11, 135 - 155 pounds
    • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA gray jogging suit.
    • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Clarke has a thin mustache and some facial hair, and he may shave his chest hair. His ears are pierced in the lobes and the upper cartilage and he has a keloid scar on one ear. Clarke sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident in 2000; as a result, he has surgical pins implanted in his legs and left wrist, a teflon patch on his aortic arch, long scars on both legs, a scar on his left wrist, a scar on his abdomen, and a scar on his left side that extends from his ribs to his upper back. He walks with a slight limp. Clarke may go by his initials, K.C.

    Details of Disappearance
    Clarke was last seen in New Town, North Dakota on February 22, 2012. He has never been heard from again. He worked for Blackstone Trucking in New Town at the time of his disappearance.

    His truck, a white 2007 Chevrolet with an extended cab, diesel engine and the license plate number AC63117, was later found abandoned in Williston, North Dakota. Since his disappearance there hasn't been any activity on his bank account.

    In 2014, five men were charged with the murder of Douglas Carlisle, a Washington businessman. They were also charged with ordering Clarke's murder. The defendants are James Terry Henrikson, Timothy Suckow, Robert Delao, Robby Joe Wahrer and Lazaro Tomas Pesina.

    Clarke had business dealings with Henrikson, who ran Blackstone Trucking, and Clarke's family had long suspected Henrikson was involved in his disappearance. His body has never been found.

    Investigating Agency
    • North Dakota Department of Criminal Investigation 701-774-4310
    Source Information
  12. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    K.C. Clarke: Two Years Missing
    Posted on January 18, 2014February 11, 2016 / Jim Fuglie / Law, Government, Politics /


    U.S. Attorney Tim Purdon announced Saturday afternoon that James Henrikson was arrested in Mandan on federal firearms charges, namely being a felon in possession of firearms. Purdon said Henrikson was arrested by agents from Homeland Security Investigations and the Bismarck-Mandan Area Narcotics Task Force. The FBI, The North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the McKenzie County Sheriff’s Office were also involved in the investigation and capture of Henrikson. We reported here earlier that Henrikson’s home near Watford City was searched earlier this week and agents found firearms there. Purdon said Henrikson was arrested without incident. In addition to the firearms charges, Henrikson is suspected of being involved in the December murder of Douglas Carlile, one of Henrikson’s business partners, although there was no mention of that in the press release by the U.S. Attorney’s office. We’ll have to wait and see if Henrikson is charged in that case. I think a lot of people can sleep better tonight.

    Here’s my report from earlier today:

    Just one more update—actually more background than update—on the murder-for-hire story involving the Spokane businessman and his business partner from Watford City, and then we’ll wait until the police and FBI do their jobs, because when that happens, the media will take over here and do its job, I’m sure. Uh huh.

    Right now it’s pretty much a non-story here, although I watched KFYR news at 5 last night and I’d have sworn I heard the reporter say authorities are looking for James Henrikson in connection with the case. There is much speculation that Henrikson, of Watford City, hired a fellow named Timothy Suckow out in Spokane to kill Henrikson’s business partner, Douglas Carlile. But when I went to the KFYR website this morning, that line was missing from the story, and no one else seems to be reporting it. Maybe I was just hearing things.

    The story has revived hope for the family of another Washington state man who went missing almost two years ago from the North Dakota Oil Patch. Henrikson is suspected of foul play in the disappearance in February 2012 of Kristopher “K.C.” Clarke, 30 years old at the time.

    “K.C.” Clarke
    Clarke was an employee of Henrikson’s and sources who knew them both say there was some bad blood between them. Clarke supposedly left work one day for a two-week vacation from his job in Mandaree and disappeared.

    By the end of May, no one had heard from K.C. for more than three months, and K.C.’s mother, Jill Williams, also from Washinton state, started a Facebook page to search for her son. Here’s part of what she wrote:

    30 year old white male.
    About 140-155lbs and 5’10”.
    Brown hair and eyes.

    K.C. is a funny, loving, generous, hardworking and kind guy. Always there to help someone in need. He is smart and always cracking jokes and living life to the fullest. He loved photography and “tried to take a picture of and look for beautiful things every day”-a sunset, the landscape around him, flowers and animals. He is a Christian.
    Missing since: Feb. 22, 2012.

    She provided a short timeline of K.C.’s travels leading up to the disappearance:

    *October 2011-K.C. leaves Texas with James Henrickson-they go to North Dakota to work together for Blackstone trucking in Mandaree, ND. K.C. is made operations manager. Blackstone is run by Sarah Creveling and James Terry Henrickson on property owned by Tex Hall in Mandaree.
    *At some point K.C.’s job as operations manager is taken from him and given to someone else. K.C. is dissatisfied with Blackstone, it’s owners and his wages. He decides to leave Blackstone to go work for Running Horse trucking.
    *K.C. tells several people to contact his family if anything happens to him. Carries his gun everywhere, tells a friend that he needs to practice, to get better with his gun-feels that he is in danger. I have been told that he had arguments with James H.
    *Feb 22, 2012 K.C. is last seen in Mandaree, North Dakota at Blackstone trucking. We are told that he was wearing grey sweat pants and black puma athletic shoes.
    * Last cell ph. call-in the vicinity of Blackstone in Mandaree, no more calls were ever made or answered by K.C. on Feb. 22, 2012 after his trip to Blackstone. Nor was he seen again. He was not seen leaving Blackstone and it is unknown whether he ever left there alive. Others have said that K.C. and James argued that day. Calls go directly to voicemail after that.
    *No contact with anyone, no sightings, no bank account or cell phone activity, etc. since 2/22/2012
    *End of Feb-beginning of March 2012 K.C.’s grandpa calls the Montana police to report K.C. missing-they tell grandpa that K.C. is an adult, that they can do nothing. They are not very helpful.
  13. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    Sometime around June 1, 2012, police discovered Clarke’s pickup abandoned in Williston, with his belongings inside. By then, everyone suspected foul play, and that’s when the police investigation began. It is ongoing. But off the news media radar until this week.

    Meanwhile, postings by Clarke’s mother and others about Henrikson and their suspicion that he was involved in Clarke’s disappearance, and a number of accusations by Clarke’s mother, led Henrikson to file a slander suit against her. That suit continues. Clarke’s mother has filed bankruptcy in the face of legal bills for attorneys to defend her.

    James Henrikson
    You can look at pages from the complaint filed by Henrikson and his wife, taken from the Facebook page, here, from Henrikson, and here from his wife, also a plaintiff in the slander suit.

    There have been a few searches in northwest North Dakota, but no trace of Clarke has been found. In October, 2012, Clarke’s mother posted the following on Facebook:

    An anonymous donor has put up a $10,000 reward! To receive the reward, you must lead us to K.C. or his body AND the person responsible for his disappearance and info to substantiate that that person is guilty. You may remain anonymous.

    Well, as most know by now, we spent last Friday-Sunday in North Dakota. We made progress and are hard at work following leads. We will find K.C.! I plead with anyone who has information-PLEASE contact me, write me an e-mail, call me, send a pm through the page, drop an anonymous note in the mail-something please, to tell us what happened to K.C. You have my solemn promise to keep you anonymous if asked to. I am not interested in revenge- I just need to know what happened and where my son is. I can understand how someone might have the answers we need, but be afraid to come forward. Please don’t be afraid, I won’t put your message here, I won’t tell anyone, including the police who you are. I will do everything in my power to protect you from harm by the person who is responsible. If you know what happened or were there, it will help you to come forward-to ease the guilt and have the opportunity to bargain with the police and have less devastating consequences should the authorities find out (not by me) who you are. And if you are the person responsible-please, just tell me what happened, please give me some peace by letting me know where my K.C. is. I understand that things happen, people get mad, things get out of control. I’m guessing that someone didn’t actually mean to kill K.C. (if he is gone), but that things got out of control and unexpectedly took a turn that no one expected.

    You have no idea the Hell I live in, the agony I am going through (unless you have been through something similar), not knowing where my boy is. You cannot imagine, what we went through in North Dakota, walking miles searching, picking up bones (wondering if they might be part of my baby), ripping out thistle bushes with my bare hands to look beneath them, as my husband and our friend, on their knees, dug with hands, machetes and a camp shovel in the dirt, desperately trying to find K.C. Picking up rocks to take home, so that I had a piece of the last town(s) where my son was. Barely sleeping or eating because we were too busy trying to find my son. I try to be strong to do what needs to be done, but when the special agent wheeled my son’s belongings into the room and put them all in a row on the table, when I had to sign for those things, when they swabbed my mouth for the DNA test- I could not hold back the tears anymore. You cannot imagine the agony of leaving the state without my baby, leaving people who have helped me and become family to me-who I have come to love. I left part of my heart in North Dakota and I hurt everyday, my spirit is tugged and tormented with the need to go back to North Dakota to find my boy and see the people who now hold a piece of my heart. I feel like I let K.C. down because I left the state without finding him. Please help me bring K.C. home before the holidays-which will be no joyous season this year without him.

    Not much has transpired in the ensuing 14 months. There was another search in Northwest North Dakota last summer, but nothing turned up. Friends and supporters raised money to help pay legal bills. Clarke’s mother advertised her jewelry for sale on Facebook to get money for the lawyer. But the story has been revived now with Carlile’s murder and its ties to Henrikson.

    If, and when, Henrikson is apprehended and charged in Carlile’s murder, more may emerge. It seems unlikely that Suckow will take the rap alone for the murder. Police can find no connection between Carlile and Suckow that would provide a reason for the murder. But police can connect Suckow to Henrikson through a telephone number in Suckow’s phone contacts. And police know that Henrikson spent a night at Carlile’s house last year, knew the layout of the home, and knew where the hidden spare key was. And the story from the night of the murder is that Carlile and his wife arrived home, and Suchow was already inside the house waiting for them (so he may have found the spare key), and shot Carlile.

    And the events surrounding Carlile’s death in faraway eastern Washington have added more chaos to an already tumultuous Watford City crime scene. This week the police chief advised his city council he wants to resign as chief and go back on the beat because he doesn’t feel he has enough actual experience to head up the towns’ police force in the face of what is going on there, and McKenzie County hired its first-ever full time State’s Attorney to prosecute the growing number of cases facing the court system there.

    Life in the Oil Patch.
  14. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    In North Dakota, a Tale of Oil, Corruption and Death

    FORT BERTHOLD INDIAN RESERVATION, N.D. — Tex G. Hall, the three-term tribal chairman on this remote, once impoverished reservation, was the very picture of confidence as he strode to the lectern at his third Annual Bakken Oil and Gas Expo and gazed out over a stuffed, backlit mountain lion.

    Tall and imposing beneath his black cowboy hat, he faced an audience of political and industry leaders lured from far and wide to the “Texpo,” as some here called it. It was late April at the 4 Bears Casino, and the outsiders endorsed his strong advocacy for oil development and the way he framed it as mutually beneficial for the industry and the reservation: “sovereignty by the barrel.”

    “M.H.A. Nation is No. 1 for tribal oil produced on American soil in the United States right now currently today,” Mr. Hall proudly declared, referring to the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation.

    But, in a hall decorated with rigs and tepees, a dice throw from the slot machines, Mr. Hall’s self-assurance belied the fact that his grip on power was slipping. After six years of dizzyingly rapid oil development, anxiety about the environmental and social costs of the boom, as well as about tribal mismanagement and oil-related corruption, had burst to the surface.

    Tex G. Hall at the Annual Bakken Oil and Gas Expo in April. He proudly advocated oil development on tribal land. CreditBrent McDonald/The New York Times
    By that point, there were two murder cases — one person dead in Spokane, Wash., the other missing but presumed dead in North Dakota — tied to oil business on the reservation. And Mr. Hall, a once-seemingly untouchable leader, was under investigation by his tribal council because of his connections to an Oregon man who would later be charged with murder for hire in the two deaths.


    Continue reading the main story
    In 2012, the man, James Henrikson, 35, who had five felony convictions in his past, operated a trucking company called Blackstone out of the tribal chairman’s garage. Blackstone worked primarily for the chairman’s own private oil field company, enjoying privileged access to business on the reservation as his subcontractor.

    Continue reading the main story

    Continue reading the main story

    Blackstone also worked directly for the tribal government, earning $570,000 for a job watering road dust that was never put out to bid. Mr. Hall voted to approve the payment, but because he did not think he had any conflict of interest, he said, he never disclosed his business relationship to the company.

    The relationship was personal, too: Mr. Henrikson and his wife vacationed in Hawaii with the tribal chairman and his family. Mr. Henrikson had an extramarital affair with, and impregnated, the now 21-year-old daughter of the chairman’s longtime girlfriend; Mr. Hall considers the baby his grandson.

    In an interview last week, Mr. Hall said Mr. Henrikson was a “professional con” who had cemented their business deal when Mr. Hall was ill and distracted, bringing flowers and a contract to his hospital room to be signed. “I got ripped off and taken advantage of,” he said. “The people didn’t really know that when the news first broke.'’

    In January, Mr. Hall’s link to Mr. Henrikson, Mr. Henrikson’s link to the murder case in Spokane, and the murder’s link to the reservation were revealed after the alleged hit man was arrested. The revelations jolted Fort Berthold into a tumultuous year of questioning and change.

    “That murder was the last straw,” said Marilyn Hudson, 78, a tribal elder and historian. “Now you have a murder, a hit man, and a five-time convicted felon operating as an oil contractor working directly with the chairman. It’s like our reservation got hijacked by the plot of a bad movie.”

    Left to right, Marilyn Hudson, Theodora Birdbear and Joletta Birdbear at the Three Tribes Museum. All three women became critics of Mr. Hall's dealings with the oil industry.CreditJim Wilson/The New York Times
    On the reservation, where identity is deeply connected to the land, conservationists have been more vocal than elsewhere in North Dakota, and they have denounced their leadership’s oversight of the oil industry for mirroring the state’s pro-business posture.

    “The mentality comes from the state: less regulation, more profit,” said Joletta Birdbear, a former postmaster. “They’re only concerned about the immediate dollars and not about the long-term costs to our land and the future generations of our people.”


    Continue reading the main story
    But if critics of North Dakota’s elected officials viewed them as too close to the oil industry, critics here had more pointed concerns. Their leader was part of the industry, seeking and getting contracts from oil companies that operated under his watch.

    “I have no problem with the government making profit for the people, but when they make a profit for themselves and not the people, that’s another story, you know?” Ms. Hudson said.

    Most of the 14,169 enrolled tribal members, about half of whom live on the reservation, do not receive significant oil royalties. The tribal government does, along with hundreds of millions in oil tax revenue, and many here appreciate the potential benefits for the reservation itself.

    But so far, apart from a significant rise in jobs, which often go to transient workers, many see deterioration rather than improvement in their standard of living. They endure intense truck traffic, degraded roads, increased crime, strained services and the pollution from spills, flares and illegal dumping.

    Deep-seated problems can be hard to fix — a life expectancy of 57, for instance, compared with 79 for North Dakotans as a whole. But its critics say the tribal government has invested little in social welfare, like desperately needed housing, and has distributed little of the $200 million set aside in the People’s Fund.

    Tribal members and veterans in a salute on Memorial Day this year. In the rear sits a 96-foot yacht considered by tribal members to be a symbol of their leaders' misplaced spending priorities.CreditJim Wilson/The New York Times
    The government’s purchase of a 96-foot yacht named “Island Girl,” which mostly sits on blocks, became a symbol to many of their leaders’ misplaced priorities. All told, it cost about $2.5 million, a senior tribal official said.

    “Our tribal council is so focused on money, money, money,” Edmund Baker, the reservation’s environmental director, said earlier this year. “And our tribal chairman is: ‘Edmund, don’t tell me about spills. I’m busy trying to do things for my people.'”

    Continue reading the main story
    Oil rigs and freshly graded roads near the Fort Berthold Reservation boundary. The reservation sits atop a particularly sweet spot of the Bakken shale formation. CreditJim Wilson/The New York Times
  15. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member

    A Change of Fortune
    The three affiliated tribes on Fort Berthold have seen their territorial lands shrivel over time to under a million acres. For decades, they struggled to recover from their forced relocation in the mid-20th century when their prime farmland was flooded to create the Lake Sakakawea reservoir for a new dam.

    By the first decade of the 21st century, however, the tribal government, deep in debt, experienced a sudden change of fortune. Fort Berthold found itself atop a particularly sweet spot of the Bakken shale formation. At least 1,370 wells have been drilled and hydraulically fractured, or fracked, here so far. They are pumping over 386,000 barrels of oil a day, a third of North Dakota’s output.

    More than 1,370 oil wells, shown here in yellow, have been drilled on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation. CreditThe New York Times
    In an interview at the expo last spring, Mr. Hall said that he saw fracking as the ticket to self-determination. “When oil was discovered, we were poor,” he said. “It’s hard to be sovereign on an empty stomach.”

    Fifty-eight with a long, graying ponytail, Mr. Hall wore a beaded medallion with a red-tipped arrow, the Indian name he inherited from his father. Red-tipped, he said, “means you’re the first to draw blood.”

    Steven A. Kelly, a former tribal lawyer under Mr. Hall and then his business competitor, said: “He’s an alpha male. If you had five male dogs on a line and you threw out six bones, Tex Hall’s going to try to get all six.”

    Mr. Hall grew up on the reservation, on a cattle and buffalo ranch in Mandaree where he still lives. He said his parents told him when he was little that he would grow up to lead his tribe and that he bore “the weight of the people” on his shoulders. He left Fort Berthold for college, where he was a basketball star, and then graduate school, returning home to teach and eventually to lead the school district in Mandaree. Starting in 1998, he served two consecutive four-year terms as tribal chairman and rose to prominence as a national leader, too, twice elected president of the National Congress of American Indians.

    He was “a very good advocate,” Mr. Kelly said. “I could never take that away from him.”

    The boom arrived in Fort Berthold between Mr. Hall’s second and third terms. He started his company, Maheshu Energy, to broker leasing deals. Maheshu then morphed into a business offering services like well site construction, rig transport and trucking. Mr. Hall’s girlfriend, who has a retail clothing business called Sparkling Spur, became chief financial officer.

    When Mr. Hall was re-elected tribal chairman in 2010, an ethics ordinance prohibited leaders from using their offices for private gain, but it did not explicitly bar them from owning oil-related companies. “It was entirely legal to have a business,” he said. “So I had a business.”

    After the election, Maheshu began getting a greater share of contracts, said Damon Williams, the tribes’ supervising attorney. “It was good old boy stuff,” he said. “Obviously if you want to do business on a reservation, it’s best to deal with the chief.”

    Mr. Kelly, in turn, found himself losing rig service contracts to the chairman. “My prices were better, we had the same mud engineers, so why do you think they used Tex instead of me?” he asked. “I wanted to make an issue of it, and I did.”

    In spring 2011, Mr. Kelly addressed the seven-member tribal council. “I am here regretfully, on a matter that brings me against the chairman,” he said, explaining that he thought Mr. Hall was violating conflict-of-interest rules.

    Mr. Hall responded, “We’re not the ethics board here, Steve.”

    Mr. Kelly asked him if he felt bound by the ethics code.

    “There is none,” the chairman said.

    Mr. Kelly waved a copy of the code.

    “There is no ethics board,” the chairman said.

    Indeed, the council had never created a board to enforce its code, and so members who sought to pursue complaints regularly confronted this Catch-22. Mr. Kelly urged the council to take up the issue itself.

    “They wouldn’t,” he said, “and that’s one of the things that bothered me. Our council doesn’t hold one another accountable. And when you have that situation, basically you have a broken government.”

    An oil tanker truck and tanker train cars on the reservation. Wells there are pumping about 386,000 barrels of oil a day, a third of North Dakota’s output. CreditJim Wilson/The New York Times

    Forging a Link
    By early 2011, James Henrikson had a string of marriages, failed businesses and arrests in several states behind him. In Oregon, he had been convicted on felony charges of theft, burglary, attempted assault and unlawful manufacture of marijuana. In Washington, he had filed for and been denied bankruptcy protection largely because he had tried to hide assets.

    Newly released from jail, Mr. Henrikson set his sights on the booming Bakken, and specifically on the reservation. Still on probation, he registered Blackstone Building Group under the name of his girlfriend, Sarah Creveling, and persuaded investors to set them up with some trucks.

    To gain priority access to oil contracts on Fort Berthold, Mr. Henrikson and Ms. Creveling, who are white, needed a native partner. Mr. Henrikson contacted Mr. Kelly, who agreed to a subcontracting deal.

    Like others, Mr. Kelly was struck by the couple’s hustle, confidence and good looks. Rick Arey of Wyoming, who met them when they moved into his trailer park, described them as “Ken and Barbie, the prettiest people in North Dakota.”

    James Henrikson and Sarah Creveling, his wife and business partner. Mr. Henrikson came to the reservation with a string of marriages, failed businesses and arrests in several states behind him.
    “He was ripped and she was the object of every man’s desire,” said Mr. Arey, who was also impressed by Mr. Henrikson’s high-end pickup truck with its “six-inch lift and 37-inch tires.”

    In late 2011, Mr. Arey was recruited to work as a truck dispatcher for Mr. Henrickson and Ms. Creveling, who had married. Beyond the $1,500-a-week salary promised, he saw it as a chance to get in on something big.

    “I was like, ‘You want to win, you got to hang out with winners,' ” he said. “No offense to any native contractors out there, because they do a good job, too, but when you take a hungry white boy, and you throw him on a reservation,” he is going to “go the extra mile.”

    Before long, Mr. Kelly discovered that Mr. Henrikson and Ms. Creveling had found a Navajo woman to front for them so that Blackstone appeared to be Indian-owned. They were going behind his back, bidding for the same jobs. So he cut ties with them, and notes in retrospect that Mr. Henrikson was always asking: “Who’s the chief? Who’s the main guy? Who’s running the show here?”
  16. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    Mr. Hall said he believed that Mr. Henrikson staged their first meeting by claiming he had run out of gas at a highway juncture abutting the chairman’s property. Mr. Hall said he gave him a couple of cans of gasoline and that when Mr. Henrikson returned the cans, he started insinuating himself into the chairman’s life.

    “I guess I should have checked up on him with Steve Kelly, but I was sick,'’ he said.

    In January 2012, Mr. Hall signed a contracting agreement with Mr. Henrikson, and Blackstone moved into his garage. Mr. Henrikson was quick to tout the connection.

    “James was unstoppable,” Mr. Arey said. “He would throw Tex’s name around: ‘I’m working with Tex Hall and Maheshu.’ Other people were, ‘Oh, wow, how did you do that?’ It was like partnering up with the president.”

    After several months, Mr. Arey and his colleague Kristopher Clarke, unhappy at Blackstone, quietly hatched a plan to join another company, taking some truckers with them. Mr. Clarke had known Mr. Henrikson through motorcycle racing in Washington and had followed him to North Dakota.

    On Feb. 22, 2012, Mr. Clarke told Mr. Arey he was driving to drop off his company credit card at Blackstone.

    And then Mr. Clarke, who was 29, vanished.

    It was not unusual for young men to come and go from the oil fields or to keep in sporadic contact with their families. But Mr. Clarke’s relatives grew increasingly alarmed that they could not reach him, and his mother started a Facebook page devoted to her missing son and casting suspicion on Mr. Henrikson and Ms. Creveling. (They would later sue her for defamation, saying she had harmed their company, which nonetheless netted $2 million in profits in 2012, they estimated in depositions.)

    Kristopher Clarke worked for Mr. Henrikson but planned to leave the company. He vanished, and his body was never found. Mr. Henrikson has been charged with murder for hire in his death.
    In June 2012, Mr. Clarke’s abandoned truck was found on a street in Williston, the hub of the oil patch. Neighbors said it had been parked there for months.

    Lissa Yellowbird-Chase, a tribal member who used to work in the reservation’s criminal justice system, reached out to Mr. Clarke’s mother. She thought that the “non-Indian mom of a non-Indian male” could use some help, she said, and undertook an investigation of her own.

    “We started approaching Tex and other tribal leaders saying there’s a boy missing here, and he was last seen on Tex’s property,” Ms. Yellowbird-Chase said. “Doors were shut. Phones were hung up on us. People were saying maybe we shouldn’t be involved. I was like, ‘Whoa.’ We’re a very spiritual people. Part of our culture is we look out for all the Creator’s people.”

    She enlisted “warriors,” she said, to help plaster the reservation with thousands of “Missing” and “Find K.C.” fliers.

    Mr. Hall said he repeatedly questioned Mr. Henrikson about expenses he considered improper but that it took him until late 2012 to “kick him out,” saying “I don’t want nobody stealing from me around this place.” The 15-month business relationship with Blackstone did not end until March 2013, however.
  17. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    By that point, Blackstone’s reputation with its drivers, its clients and its investors was souring. (Ms. Creveling would later tell investigators that she and her husband had siphoned money to ancillary businesses and generated false profit-loss statements for Blackstone.)

    In a cordial email, Mr. Hall informed Ms. Creveling that “all expenses, reimbursements and split of proceeds” would occur by the end of the month.

    “It has been good working with you,” he wrote.

    Continue reading the main story
    Mr. Hall at an event in 2013 with his girlfriend, Tiffiany Johnson, right, and her daughter, Peyton Rose Martin. Ms. Johnson served as chief financial officer of Mr. Hall's company, Maheshu Energy. CreditVincent Schilling
    Ethical Issues
    In the summer of 2013, The Williston Herald announced that on July 20 a volunteers’ search party would comb Williston and Mandaree, where Mr. Clarke had last been seen on Mr. Hall’s property.

    The day before the search, Mr. Hall texted Mr. Baker, the environmental director, and directed him to remove “a few frack socks” from his yard. Mr. Baker said he thought that Mr. Hall did not want the searchers, who did not find Mr. Clarke, to stumble on a dumpsite.

    The frack, or oil filter, socks often contain radioactivity that exceeds the legal limit for disposal in North Dakota. They sometimes are illegally discarded because of the expense of trucking them out of state. And, indeed, Mr. Baker and his crew found some 200 socks strewn through Mr. Hall’s field.

    The socks were “kind of sun-baked,” like they had been there for a while, Mr. Baker said, which greatly concerned him because “frack socks are a highly sensitive environmental hazard.”

    Mr. Hall said he had done nothing wrong in calling the tribes’ environmental director. But Mr. Baker believed that the chairman had crossed an ethical line summoning public employees to take care of an environmental violation on his private property. Mr. Baker described it as: “Call your regulator, and think he’ll do a favor for you and be quiet about it.”

    And indeed Mr. Baker, while he filled out an incident report for his own files, kept his mouth shut, fearful of retribution. “There have been other instances where individuals have spoken up and they have been kicked out of their homes,” he said. “They have been denied continued employment. Basically their legs are taken out from underneath them.”


    Continue reading the main story
    Even though he did not make this episode public, Mr. Baker saw it not only as an abuse of power but also as a confirmation of what he considered the chairman’s cavalier approach to oil-related environmental problems.

    Mr. Hall portrays himself as a staunch defender of the reservation’s “land, air and waters.” Though he advocated autonomy from the Environmental Protection Agency’s “regulatory scheme,” he wrote an environmental code for the tribes, he said, so that they could protect the environment “our way,” without depending on “the Great White Father in Washington, D.C.”

    Edmund Baker, the reservation’s environmental director. After he halted construction of a waste landfill and convened a community hearing, tribal leaders effectively excommunicated him, he said. CreditJim Wilson/The New York Times
    Spills are routine on the reservation, though, and generally go unpunished. By The New York Times’s calculation, there were 850 oil-related environmental incidents on Fort Berthold reported by companies from 2007 through mid-October 2014.

    When Mr. Baker started his job in early 2013, straight out of law school in Montana, he quickly got the message that, “Environmental is kind of like the redheaded stepchild,” he said.

    The community of White Shield was in an uproar over an oil waste landfill under preliminary construction. Examining the file, he found no permit application had ever been filed. He halted construction, and convened what turned into a packed community hearing featured in the Bismarck newspaper.

    Tribal leaders communicated their displeasure and then effectively excommunicated him.

    “I’m guessing they view me as E.P.A., the guy who’s going to stop their money bags,” he said.

    Continue reading the main story
    Douglas Carlile on his farm. According to police records, he had been involved in a $2 million oil development deal with Mr. Henrikson, but planned to buy him out. Instead, he ended up dead, murdered in his kitchen.CreditElberta Carlile
    Deadly Dealings
    On Dec. 15, 2013, after returning from church with his wife of 42 years, Douglas Carlile was accosted in his Spokane kitchen by a masked man dressed in black. Elberta Carlile fled upstairs, heard gunshots ring out and hid in a closet to call 911. Her husband died almost immediately, the day after he had painstakingly tied gold stars on their Christmas tree.

    Fleeing the scene, the gunman dropped a leather glove and left a footprint in the mud. His getaway van, tracked down by the police, contained a black balaclava and a to-do list including “practice with pistol” and “wheel man.”

    A month later, the police arrested Timothy Suckow, 51, whose phone contacts included a listing for “James ND” with Mr. Henrikson’s number. In the arrest report, the police said the murder victim had been involved in a $2 million oil development deal with Mr. Henrikson, that he had lined up an investor to buy out Mr. Henrikson and that Mr. Henrikson — “not happy” with this — had issued threats.

    On Fort Berthold, Calvin Grinnell, curator of the Three Tribes Museum, was horrified to learn of the murder. It was his elderly mother’s land, in part, that the two men had fought over. He had last spoken with Mr. Carlile on Dec. 6, 2013. During that call, Mr. Carlile referred to a financing problem he hoped would be resolved by Dec. 15, allowing drilling to begin.

    “Then on Dec. 15, he was shot,” Mr. Grinnell said. “Six hundred and forty acres — that’s what he got killed for.”

    Calvin Grinnell, curator of the Three Tribes Museum, on his elderly mother’s land that was the subject of a dispute between Mr. Henrikson and Mr. Carlile. CreditJim Wilson/The New York Times
    On the same day Mr. Suckow was arrested, federal authorities, who had been investigating Blackstone for financial fraud, searched the house in Watford City, N.D., where Mr. Henrikson and Ms. Creveling lived. She had recently bought the place for $450,000; she had also purchased a Bentley Continental.

    In addition to financial records, the authorities were looking for and found firearms — seven, as well as 1,188 rounds of ammunition and “his and hers ear protection.”

    On Jan. 18, Mr. Henrikson, charged as a felon prohibited from possessing firearms, was taken into federal custody.

    Reading the charging documents for the two arrests, Mr. Williams, the tribal attorney, began researching Blackstone’s ties to Fort Berthold.

    “I’ll be deadly honest,” Mr. Williams said. “If that gentleman hadn’t gotten murdered in his kitchen in Washington, we might never have discovered what was going on here.”
  18. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    In a statement at the time, Mr. Hall maintained that he was cooperating with the authorities “to expose Henrikson’s dealings and the extreme danger he posed to tribal members.”

    But the tide began to turn against him. At the end of January, the tribal council approved an emergency amendment to its ethics ordinance explicitly forbidding its members to do business with oil companies on the reservation.

    A resolution to suspend Mr. Hall failed. But the council did hire Stephen L. Hill Jr., a former United States attorney in Missouri with experience in public corruption cases, to investigate him.

    A few months later, in the interview at the expo, Mr. Hall reluctantly answered a question about his relationship to Mr. Henrikson by first saying, “No relationship.” When a reporter suggested that photographs of them together in Waikiki suggested a close relationship, Mr. Hall said: “In 2012. He had a subcontract in 2012. We’re talking, what, two years ago?”

    Mr. Henrikson after his arrest early this year on weapons charges. He has since been indicted on two counts of murder for hire, four counts each of conspiracy and of solicitation to commit murder for hire, and one count of conspiracy to distribute heroin. CreditBurleigh County Detention Center
    In terms of his business dealings, Mr. Hall said that he had done everything by the book. He said he had transferred ownership of Maheshu to his girlfriend after the ethics rules tightened in January. Before that, he said, Maheshu competed for business like any other tribal-member-owned company. A conflict of interest would have occurred only if he had used his position to get a tribal contract, which he never did, he said.

    Mr. Hill’s investigation, however, found that the chairman had participated in a virtual joint venture with Blackstone, with proceeds shared and Ms. Creveling serving as manager of his company, too, for a while. And Mr. Hall’s government did hire Blackstone, albeit without issuing a contract.

    The deal involved watering the dust kicked up by oil traffic. Mr. Henrikson had offered to do it at a discounted rate when a tribal official stopped by Mr. Hall’s garage to see if he could buy a truck for the job. The transaction had nothing to do with him, Mr. Hall said, so he was under no obligation to disclose his relationship with Blackstone when he voted for and urged his fellow council members to approve what came to $570,000 in payment.

    That was supposedly for five months of road watering, but Mr. Hill’s investigation found that three months of work was never authorized by any tribal official or confirmed.

    Asked if he had shared in the proceeds, Mr. Hall said: “Absolutely not. Don’t you think I’d be in jail or indicted if I had?'’

    Mr. Hill’s investigation also found what is portrayed as an effort by Mr. Hall to extort $1.5 million from a Virginia-based group of investors who sought to drill for oil on tens of thousands of acres of reservation land. As part of that, Mr. Hall also misled the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the investigators found. But protracted negotiations with the investors broke down, and Mr. Hall never got paid.

    Mr. Williams, the tribal attorney, said, “Tex’s defense was, ‘Because I didn’t get money, it was not a crime.' ”

    In mid-August, Mr. Hill presented his findings to the tribal council in a closed session, and the chairman denounced them as a “smear campaign” by his opponents, particularly Mr. Williams.

    Mr. Hall, by that point, had filed the paperwork to run for an unprecedented fourth term as tribal chairman. So, too, had Mr. Williams, two of Mr. Hall’s relatives and six others.

    The day before the September primary, tribal members massed outside tribal headquarters to demand the release of the investigation report. They cheered when the doors were opened and marched past a phalanx of security into the council chambers. Judy Brugh, a council member, held up the report and told them, to much applause, “It is your right to receive this.”

    “You guys, when this all started, nobody really knew it was going to get this big,” she said. “Ever since we read this, we’ve had to carry it around on our shoulders because we knew what we had to do with it” — turn it over to the F.B.I.

    Jared Baker, a tribal member, urged her and other council members to do more than that: “Be honest, guys, the feds ain’t going to do” anything unless “you guys push it, push it, push it. So we ask that you do that, so we have some kind of transparency in our government.”

    Asked whether he had opened an investigation into Mr. Hall, the United States attorney in North Dakota said he could not confirm or deny the existence of any investigation. Mr. Hall said there was none, to his knowledge.

    On Primary Day, he was resoundingly defeated as tribal chairman.

    Also on Primary Day, coincidentally, Mr. Henrikson, with five co-defendants, was charged with the murders of Mr. Carlile and, though his body was never found, Mr. Clarke. He was federally indicted on two counts of murder for hire, four counts each of conspiracy and of solicitation to commit murder for hire, and one count of conspiracy to distribute heroin.

    Three other potential victims, including the original investor in Blackstone, were targeted but not killed, the indictment said.

    Mr. Henrikson pleaded not guilty. His trial is scheduled for July 2015. The murder charges carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment or death.

    In Washington, Mrs. Carlile, still mourning the loss of the “honorable man” with whom she had six children and 20 grandchildren, said they had been destined to become “one of those old couples that still held hands.”

    But she was thankful for one thing, she said:

    “His killing did open up the whole can of worms in that area and begin to expose the corruption.”

    Mark N. Fox as he was sworn in as tribal chairman last month. Mr. Fox ran on a platform emphasizing good governance and greater oversight of the oil industry. CreditBrent McDonald/The New York Times
    Underscoring the change afoot, the candidates for tribal chairman in the general election — Mr. Williams and Mark N. Fox, the tribal tax director — ran on platforms emphasizing good governance and greater oversight of the oil industry.

    Mr. Fox, 52, a lawyer and Marine veteran, won. At his recent inauguration, Mr. Fox, whose Indian name is Sage Man, announced that tribal members would receive a $1,000 check from the People’s Fund for Christmas. In an interview afterward, he said that he would seek to create a three-branch system of government, to install an ethics board and to “resolve the conflicts amongst our own people.”

    “Until now, the boom has brought more negative than positive,” he said. “But if we change our mentality, we can turn things around. We can remind the oil companies our land is sacred and they need to respect it. We can deal with revenue responsibly and keep it out of our councilmen’s back pockets. We can put the people first.”
  19. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    Home MISSING Kristopher Clarke – Feb. 22, 2012 – New Town, ND
    Kristopher Clarke – Feb. 22, 2012 – New Town, ND
    February 2, 2012 February 2, 2014

    Missing: Kristopher David Clarke

    Case: Missing

    Nickname: K.C., Gimp Daddy

    Missing From: New Town, North Dakota

    Missing Date: February 22, 2012

    Race: W Sex: M

    Age at Time Missing: 29

    Height: 5’9″

    Weight: 140 lbs

    Hair Color: brown

    Eye Color: brown

    Scars/ Unique Marks: long surgical scars on both legs, scar on left wrist, scar on stomach, scar that goes from over ribs on left side around to upper back. He also has pins and plates and walks with a slight limp.

    Piercings :Ears. Lobes and upper ear. May or may not have been wearing earrings. Keloid present on one ear (scar from piercing)

    Other: last seen wearing a gray jogging suit.

    Police Agency: Officer Ryan Zimmerman, Williston Police Department, 701-577-1212, e-mail police@ci.williston.nd.us


    Kristopher David Clarke, nickname K.C., 29, has been missing since Feb. 22, 2012. Kristopher is a native of Washington, but had gone to North Dakota to make some money. He was last sighted at his job at Blackstone Trucking in New Town, N.D. and has has not been heard from again. His truck, a white 2007 Chevrolet diesel engine extended cab (license plate AC63117) was later found abandoned in Williston, ND on April 1, 2012. Friends became worried about Kristopher after the stopped hearing from him. A landlord for a rental house he had been paying for in Texas also stopped receiving checks. Kristopher’s mother, Jill Williams, created a Facebook page called Find KcGimpdaddy as a tool to help find her son and to receive tips on his location. According to a Facebook post, Williams explains why she named the page. ‘Friends called him gimp daddy after his motorcycle accident, and thought putting that in along with his name would make it easier to find this page.’

    Gimp Daddy, GimpDaddy, K.C. Clarke, KC Clarke, Kristopher Clarke, Kristopher David Clarke, LostNMissing, ND, North Dakota. Bookmark.
    Jason D. Reil – January 12, 2012 – Brunswick, ME
    James Harig – February 05, 2012 – Pottsville, PA
    • Intranet
    • Missing Posters
      LostNMissing Inc. gives full permission to any person, persons, organization, news or media outlets to share and use any of our missing posters. They may be used in any capacity to help bring awareness including, videos, commercials, blogs, forums, social networking sites, in print form, books, booklets and newspapers. We only ask that they do not be altered in any fashion and cannot be used for products sold, except newspapers and magazines. Any other use must obtain the permission of LostNMissing, Inc. Thank you.
  20. Akoya

    Akoya Bronze Member


    Cellphone records link murder-for-hire suspects, missing man
    Sat., April 25, 2015

    By Kip Hill kiph@spokesman.com(509) 459-5429

    James Henrikson and Timothy Suckow, suspects in a murder-for-hire plot targeting a South Hill businessman, were together in North Dakota the day another alleged victim went missing in 2012, according to cellphone records released in federal court this week.

    Federal prosecutors this week published a 22-page report by a law enforcement cellphone analyst in response to allegations from Henrikson’s defense attorneys that they weren’t providing complete investigative records. The records indicate that Suckow, the alleged triggerman who killed Doug Carlile in a break-in of Carlile’s South Hill home in December 2013, traveled to Williston, North Dakota, in February 2012, the day before Kristopher “K.C.” Clarke disappeared.

    Suckow, Henrikson and four other men were indicted in September for their alleged roles in the deaths of Carlile and Clarke, and the attempted murder of three other men tied to oil dealings in North Dakota. Clarke’s body has not been found, but his abandoned truck was found in Watford City, North Dakota, three years ago. Investigators used interviews with Suckow and cellphone records to piece together what happened in the hours leading up to and following Clarke’s disappearance, leading to the indictment that has put all the alleged conspirators in jail awaiting trial.

    Prosecutors announced in February they would not seek the death penalty for any of the defendants in the case, though five of the men were eligible for execution under federal law.

    According to the cellphone records, Suckow traveled to Williston, the site of Henrikson’s company Blackstone Trucking, by train from Spokane on Feb. 21. He arrived there in the evening, and the records suggest Henrikson picked up Suckow before eating at an Arby’s and heading back to Henrikson’s Watford City home.

    Witnesses told investigators Clarke drove from his home in nearby Newtown, North Dakota, to pick up his last paycheck at Blackstone the morning of Feb. 22. The last phone call made from Clarke’s phone was placed at 10:25 a.m. Feb. 22. Henrikson’s cellphone records show he was at the Blackstone office until 12:17 p.m., when he traveled to Watford City. Unanswered calls and texts to Clarke’s cellphone pinged off the same tower as Henrikson’s phone, indicating the two mobile devices were likely in close proximity, according to the analyst’s report.

    Suckow’s phone was also in the vicinity of the same tower during that time, records show. Henrikson and Suckow called or texted a total of 10 times throughout the morning and early afternoon, according to the report.

    Throughout the afternoon, Clarke’s cellphone received 34 unanswered messages. His phone remained in Watford City all afternoon, “in the vicinity of a town he normally did not frequent for an extended period of time,” according to the report.

    The final location of Clarke’s phone that can be tracked by cell towers is in Williston, around 11:20 p.m. that evening. Clarke’s phone was then “likely turned off or deactivated at around the same time” his truck was left in town.

    “In the opinion of the analyst, it is improbable that Mr. Henrikson would be in the vicinity of both Mr. Clarke’s truck and his deactivated cell phone during the above time frame, while also being in communication with Mr. Suckow, without any knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Mr. Clarke’s disappearance earlier that day,” the report’s author, Matthew Robinson of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, wrote.

    Robinson noted geolocation of cellphones using towers has room for error, but he alludes to statements made by Suckow to investigators that match cellphone movements tracked by towers. Suckow’s statements are not part of the published record, but prosecutors included in their filing that Suckow told authorities he threw the gun used to shoot Carlile in his Spokane home Dec. 15, 2013, into the Spokane River.

    A glove found in the backyard of Carlile’s home contained traces of DNA investigators believe belong to Suckow. Henrikson was arrested at his Watford City home shortly after Suckow was taken into custody, originally on weapons charges before the grand jury returned its indictment.

    A hearing is scheduled next week. A trial has been tentatively set for October.

Share This Page